Hello everyone, and welcome to my campaign play through as Macedon. I will be posting updates here until Rome II is released. Please discuss the campaign in this thread
Macedon is rated as a hard faction to play. The campaign is on the normal difficulty setting. Click on the images for larger resolution where avaiable.
The game begins in 272 BC
, so let’s take a look at what I have.
- Here is Pella, my capital, and the army of my faction leader Antigonos Gonatas.
- The other region Macedon starts with is Pulpudeva, along with the second army under Kosmas. I also have a fleet which is led by Peucestas.
- A decent starting position, but I need to take a look at the diplomatic situation.
- Quite a few nations nearby, from the Thracian Odryssian Kingdom to the Greek states of Athens and Sparta.
- Athens is my client state and Sparta are my defensive allies. I’m at war with Tylis which looks to be a good first target for expansion.
- Time for some construction. Pella is expanded with the City Centre line of buildings. Pulpudeva gets a barracks so I can recruit decent units there and at Pella. I want to turn them into military centres, I will focus conquered regions on agriculture, industry and culture buildings.
- I also start researching my first tech, the starting one on the military line. I will go up the military line for a couple of techs until the second tier buildings are unlocked and will then switch to the civil line.
- Each faction comes with traits that affect how the campaign plays, let’s take a look at Macedon’s.
- Good bonuses, but the diplomatic penalty with other Hellenic factions could have a big effect as the campaign goes on.
- Now to get on with the business of strengthening my armies. Levy Pikemen and Javelinmen are added to the army of Antigonos. Kosmas gets some Slingers and a unit of Milita Hoplites. He will march on Antheia and I will recruit mercenaries to strengthen his force along the way.
Time to end turn.
- Hmmm, I’m already committed to one war with Tylis, but I do want Larissa so I agree to join in the war with Epirus.
- I send a spy south, and they spot some Epirot armies gathering.
- My first tech is finished, and I move onto the next military one as it will give me the next level barracks needed for Pikemen and other units.
- Bolstered by some Thracian mercenaries, Kosmas lays siege to Antheia. I decide to wait before assaulting, a big mistake.
- Why was this a mistake? Because I forgot that armies in besieged port settlements do not suffer from attrition unless the port is blockaded, but the besieging army will.
- Antigonos moves south to beseige Larissa, Athenian armies providing support.
- I upgrade the City Centre chain in Pella to an Amphitheatron, a building that will give a very big boost to public order when it is finished.
- An Epirus spy is spotted by my own, and she manages to wound them.
- She levels up and I decide to improve her critical chance.
- Realising my earlier mistake with the siege of Antheia, I assault and my strong infantry give me a swift victory against the levy troops of the enemy.
- I choose to occupy the settlement. As buildings of another culture give unhappiness, I begin the process of converting the farm to my own. The others will have to wait until I have more money.
- Kosmas has levelled up so I give him the Commander skill.
- Having captured Antheia, I notice an army of Tylis in a transport fleet off the coast. I wonder what they will do next.
- Blast. Odrysia has declared war, giving me no time to consolidate my hold on Tylis.
- At the start of my next turn I am greeted with this message, looks like something has happened to one of my Generals.
- Once I’ve dealt with this another message. I don’t know who it is, but someone almost took out Antigonos. If I found out who it was they will pay.
- Floods have hit Pulpudeva, causing damage to buidlings.
- Odrysia has besieged Antheia with the Tylis army on the transport fleet blockading the port. This is not good. I dispatch my fleet to try and help out but it may not be strong enough.
- With the second military tech done I move on to the first civil one.
- During the next end turn sequence, Egypt declares war. Taking at look at my relations with them, they do not like me at all, alomst -180 in total. No wonder they've delcared war.