Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

The Takeda Clan

TakedaShingenTakedaShingen MemberPosts: 77Registered Users
TAKEDA
takeda.gif

Fu Rin Ka Zan
Wind Forest Fire Mountain

Let your rapidity be that of the wind,
your compactness that of the forest.
In raiding and plundering be like fire,
be immovable like a mountain.

takedashingen.gif
The Takeda are a clan of equals that adhere to two fundamental principles:
  1. Loyalty; that is, the willingness to risk everything for the purposes of the clan.
  2. Fraternity, the fundamental desire to support and protect each other in time of battle.
Through trial and tribulation, we live and die together.
ts3e.gif
The Takeda abide by this clan ethos and work together for the greater good of all within the clan. They believe personal renown is developed over time through victory in battle, teamwork, honour and respect towards one's foe.

Each is an integral part of the what constitutes the Takeda clan, and as such, all are leaders in their own right. All are students of strategy, searching for "the Way" and endeavour to embody the fundamental principles and imperative strategies found within Sun Tzu.

As Takeda Shingen's personal war banner read:

風 Swift as the wind
林 Quiet as the forest
火 Conquer like the fire
山 Steady as the mountain

The Takeda invite those that have skill, intelligence, humility, maturity and enduring courage to join them.

On joining the team, each member will choose one of the 25 Takeda Generals as their clan monicker, embodying that persona in battle. Those who feel that they can contribute / learn from a team experience such as this, please contact us directly.

takedashingenii.gif

Takeda Clan Update

Takeda General................In-game Mon................Forum Alias

......Takeda Shingen................takedashingen.gif...............|Takeda| Shingen
Yokota Takatoshi...............yokotatakatoshi.gif.................Billy Ruffian
Baba Nobuharu...............babanobuharu.gif.................vashiyusuf
Naito Masatoyo.................naitomasatoyo.gif.................Naisho.......
Yamamoto Kansuke...........yamamotokansuke.gif.................Psycho V....

Clan Update Continued
"Move as swiftly as the wind, stay as silent as the forest, attack as fierce as fire, and have undefeatable defense like a mountain."
風林火山
Post edited by TakedaShingen on

Comments

• TakedaShingenTakedaShingen Member Posts: 77Registered Users
    edited February 2011
    img4524i.jpg

Friday last week, on a cold and Snowy winter's early morning, I made the two hour trip by train out of Tokyo to Yamanashi, the modern prefecture that was previously known as Kai, the ancient lands of the Takeda. My goal was to visit the spirit of Shingen personally, and ask for his blessing for our clan.

At the far end of Kofu city, on the ruins of the Takeda fortress mansion of Tsutsujigasaki, buried beneath a thin layer of snow, now stands a shinto shrine dedicated to the kami (or spirit) of Takeda Shingen.

All that remains of this once proud family's home are the thick rampart walls that have stood now for near five hundred years in silence, as if still protecting the sacred ground that once knew the heart of the Takeda dynasty. Crossing the bridge over the single moat, surrounded in the supreme silence of steadily falling snow, one cannot help but feel as if on sacred ground.

With the day being still early, and the forecast of heavy snow throughout the day, I am basically alone to wander the grounds freely, lost in thoughts of the fickleness of human life, the cycle of birth and death that brings both greatness and loss to all.

img4530d.jpg

On entering under the giant torii that marks the entrance, one can see how much still loved and respected the great lord is. Immediately to the left stands a beautiful and classic set of buildings dedicated to public performances of Noh, just as the great lord would have watched himself, sharing his own wealth with his people, his castles.

The presence of the man is everywhere: awesome, fearsome, contemplative;a symbol of mankind's own drive to greatness and legacy of all clan member's and allies deep loyalty to a cause.

The mounds of the ramparts and retaining walls are still visible, covered with a gentle dusting of snow as if to purify the site, the only sounds wild turkeys calling out to each other in the gentle storm.

The minutes pass to hours, as I am lost in thoughts of my own impermanence. A small museum houses a collection of armour, swords, and the original Fu Rin Ka Zan banner, lovingly encased in a special glass environment to protect it, the gold faded letters still visible on of a purple background; Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain.....

The echoes of greatness whisper to me through the steady wind that swirls the snow forever around me...

He waits for me, silent, all seeing, all pervading presence. I walk up to the front of his shrine, ring the large bell and clap my hands to summon him to my prayers, silence, and the steadily falling snow my only witnesses.

img4545mq.jpg

I rest my mind in the silence and try to feel the spirit of this great man. Inside, the shinto priests begin a ceremony, incense, music and chants filling the air as countless flakes of snow fall around me.

I stare through the first building, back towards the rear shrine that holds the sacred mirror that houses his kami, forever covered from sight by a thin cloth in respect.

img4548v.jpg

I speak my thoughts to the great man. He listens, silent and all seeing, passing no judgments on my own hopes and desires for this life. In this time of economic uncertainty, I ask for strength, perseverance, and courage.

Moments pass, and silence once more surrounds me. Humbled, thinking of my own impermanence on this earth, I bow one last time and head back to Tokyo, and our own modern struggle.

img4528a.jpg
    "Move as swiftly as the wind, stay as silent as the forest, attack as fierce as fire, and have undefeatable defense like a mountain."
    風林火山
  • naishonaisho Senior Member USAPosts: 3,425Registered Users
    edited February 2011
    When I get to Japan MCM we are so going to explore all the shrines.
    1---/\__/\
    1=(O-"-O)=/\
    1--- / | | \--/ -|
    1---| \-/ \-_ /
    1--( Neko )

Naisho the Neko

"You have raised assorted issues under what might be termed a “I-don’t-like-it because-I-say-it’s-not-historical” banner. This isn't quite the same as "justified", I'm sorry to say." -MikeB
  • PartoflaPartofla Junior Member Posts: 4Registered Users
    edited February 2011
    It would interesting joining if I ever get into multiplayer with S2 TW. I have always been a huge fan of Akiyama so... yep :)
  • AshikagaAshikaga Senior Member Posts: 404Registered Users
    edited February 2011
    Dono, i might be interested to ally with you because you have the true bushido spirit.
    On your invite only of course.

You will get word from my emissary soon.

Ashikaga Takauji
  • HelsingHelsing Member Posts: 74Registered Users
    edited February 2011
    Have sent a PM to you, 武田信玄。 Hoping for a place in 武田藩 as 小幡昌盛。
  • Psycho_VPsycho_V Registered User Posts: 503Registered Users
    edited February 2011
    Helsing wrote: »
    Hoping for a place in 武田藩 as 小幡昌盛。

Google translates that as Kobata Akira?
    "Ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for THEE!" - (John Donne, 1572 – 1631, Meditation 17)
    edited February 2011
    Why do you google translate it? It's actually Obata Masamori...
  • SkurkanasSkurkanas Senior Member Posts: 546Registered Users
    edited February 2011
    Nothing good can come out of google translating kanji :D
    It even screws up most of the less ambigous western languages

As for the clan, i really appreciate the roleplaying approach. I can't stand those "Awesome Warri0rz of Darknezz!!!"-type-clans, who's only goal is to "pwn" everyone else. Also, love the pictures. Make me long for a trip to Japan..
    |Takeda| Nobushige
    Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
    Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life
    edited February 2011
    animatedGLOBE.gifNews Update: Classified Data Leaked
    Rebel 'freedom of speech' activist has again come under fire after publishing top secret military information.

Sengukoleaks founder Jun Ano Sugee again went into hiding today after it was revealed his organisation had procured highly classified footage of a Takeda Clan training session. The training had been held sometime this week at an undisclosed location.

Mr Sugee issued a statement that he had fled in fear after defeating a court suppression order and deciding to publish the information on Youtube "for the greater good of the Total War community".

The Takeda Clan were less than impressed. “This is highly classified material. We have worked long and hard to get the jump on our competitors, to train our clan members in these secret arts. Now everyone will know our special moves” stated Mr Shingen, Daimiyo of the Clan. “Now we must start afresh, with only days remaining”!

See here for Secret Takeda Training
    "Ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for THEE!" - (John Donne, 1572 – 1631, Meditation 17)
    edited February 2011
    that's our shogun victory training...... I can't believe we were filmed.
    1---/\__/\
    1=(O-"-O)=/\
    1--- / | | \--/ -|
    1---| \-/ \-_ /
    1--( Neko )

Naisho the Neko

"You have raised assorted issues under what might be termed a “I-don’t-like-it because-I-say-it’s-not-historical” banner. This isn't quite the same as "justified", I'm sorry to say." -MikeB
  • NazredNazred Senior Member Posts: 901Registered Users
    edited February 2011
    i really want to join but i am in a country for the moment were internet is really limited so i can not conntact on steam when i am back i hope i am still in time
    edited February 2011
    Skurkanas wrote: »
    Nothing good can come out of google translating kanji :D
    It even screws up most of the less ambigous western languages

As for the clan, i really appreciate the roleplaying approach. I can't stand those "Awesome Warri0rz of Darknezz!!!"-type-clans, who's only goal is to "pwn" everyone else. Also, love the pictures. Make me long for a trip to Japan..

Thanks. I think the connection with real history and the samurai values is very appealing. I share that with the clan mates as well. The focus for us will be on teamwork- from that, we will gain as a whole.

Cheers
    風林火山
    edited February 2011
    img4482i.jpg

The tale of the 47 Ronin.

Imagine that you work for a company, with lifetime employment and a solid guaranteed wage for life.

Charges of misappropriation are made against the head of your company, and in the scandal that arises, the president takes his own life. Your company's reputation is ruined, all businesses are repossessed by the state, and you lose your job, public reputation, house and all security. Cast out from the safe life that you once held and disparaged by society at large, the future seems dim.

What would you do?

For the ultimate story of Samurai honor and loyalty, look no further than the 47 Ronin.

Buried in a quiet corner of Shinagawa, Tokyo, the solid ring of concrete buildings that surround the small temple of Sengakuji belie the inner sanctity of what the temple grounds contain.
    img4484cq.jpg

For within lie the remains of these 47 men who risked all to see the good name of their lord returned to justice, paying for this with their own lives in return.

The tale revolves around a loyal group of samurai who were left leaderless (ie ronin) after their daimyo, the feudal lord Asano Naganori、 was forced to commit ritual suicide for assaulting a court official named Kira Yoshinaka. There had been a long standing dislike of each other between the two lords, and some say that the action between the two men had been provoked by the treacherous Kira, knowing of Naganori's hot tempered nature.

Asano's foolish attempt left nothing more than a cut to Kira's face before burying his blade in a pillar, but Shogunate law commanded that any attack on a shogunate official within the boundaries of the shogun's precincts was considered a grave offense against the power of the Shogun himself, and punishment was swift and merciless.

Asano had drawn his sword within Edo Castle, and for that offense, he was ordered to kill himself by committing seppuku, enacted immediately. The Bakufu's punishment was immediate and effective to all who served under his command; Asano's castle was surrendered, goods and lands confiscated, family name and all who worked under him ruined, and his retainers made ronin.

The noble house of Asano was no more.

But as with many stories of olden Japan, the plot did not end there, but thickened instead.....

Of the original three hundred or so Samurai that had been employed by the lord, a band of 47 could not leave their master unavenged, and spent two years in planning to avenge the matter, waiting patiently for the moment to strike. Since a revenge attempt was expected, Kira remained well guarded and avoided to place himself in any dangerous situation. To cover their plan, the ronin resorted to meeting only in secret, changing their behavior in public to that of drunks, the homeless, or monks and beggars, to throw off the scent.

The ronin's leader, Ōishi Kuranosuke Yoshio, did his best to ruin his own public reputation, that of being a loyal and excellent follower of the late lord, while making secret plans with his loyal band. Divorcing his faithful wife so that after their plan was fulfilled, no punishment would be meted upon her and their family, he waited until Kira's guard was down.

In Genroku 15 (Tuesday, January 30, 1703), seeking cover in the early morning driving snow, Ōishi and the ronin attacked Kira Yoshinaka's mansion in Edo. Splitting up into two groups, they attacked, armed with swords and bows. One group, led by Ōishi, attacked the front gate; the other, led by his son, Ōishi Chikara, attacked the house via the rear entrance, with a drum used to coordinate their attack and a whistle to sound when the deed was done.

After a fierce struggle, the last of Kira's retainers were either killed or subdued, killing sixteen of Kira's men and wounding twenty-two. Finally the ronin found the lord himself, hiding fearfully deep inside the house. Offering him the chance to kill himself, which was refused, Oishi cut off Kira's head, and the ronin proceeded to take it with them back to Sengakuji, to place in front of their lord's grave.

News of their deed spread fast, and the surrounding townsfolk hailed them as heroes in the street, many of whom having written off the same men as ruined earlier. Respectfully, the ronin had Kira's head washed and dressed for burial, and gave it to one of the temple monks to bury in the appropriate way. With their deed complete, they proceeded to turn themselves in to the authorities.

If you are expecting a happy ending for these men, think not; yet the Shogunate was placed in a quandary, for popular opinion hailed them as heroes, and the act in itself, that of defending their late lord's honour, was true to the core concepts of bushido. However, the law remained the law, and revenge committed upon Shogunal grounds a grave offense.

Forty six of the ronin were made to commit ritual seppuku, an honour only bestowed to Samurai, a small reward instead of being treated as common criminals. In that way, they were restored their honour as Samurai. The one remaining man, who had been sent to their homeland to tell of their news, was pardoned. All of the ronin were buried next to their lord in Sengakuji, and the pardoned man would join them there many years later when he died of old age.

The rest of the old retainers of the lord, uninvolved in the 47 ronin plot, had their honour restored and work was soon forthcoming in other clans. The name of Asano was also restored to its rightful place.

Since that time, the graves of these 47 men have been revered by all Japanese as the epitome of the true warrior spirit.
    img4477j.jpg

So what can we, as modern day people make of all this? That the sense of sacrifice and loyalty to a cause were fundamental principles of the Japanese warrior spirit, that warriors would fight to the end for for the sake of a name. In many ways, their actions defy logic for us in our modern age.

Yet, if we can understand their fierce sense of loyalty and determination, we will gain insight into the samurai mind and a glimpse into the heart of bushido.
    420pxutagawakunisadac18.jpg
    Two of the Forty-seven Ronin: Horibe Yahei and his adopted son, Horibe Yasubei.
    風林火山
    edited February 2011
    Great info!
    Helsing wrote: »
    Why do you google translate it? It's actually Obata Masamori...

Yer, sorry mate. I was trying to work out who it was. Obata Masamori ... great character!
    edited February 2011
    Update- you will now see existing clan officers added to the first post.

Cheers,

Shingen
    風林火山
    edited February 2011
    Update- you will now see existing clan officers added to the first post.

Cheers,

Shingen

Where did you find those Ingame Mon?
    edited February 2011
    They are not in game mons, they are drawings of what the mons would have looked like. They are extremely difficult to track down in some cases -_-
    1---/\__/\
    1=(O-"-O)=/\
    1--- / | | \--/ -|
    1---| \-/ \-_ /
    1--( Neko )

Naisho the Neko

edited February 2011
    yes. I know that, just wondering about those specific pictures :/ as you said it's really hard to find.
    edited February 2011
    Various history sources like the Samurai archives forum have a lot of great info Helsing.
    風林火山
  • AshikagaAshikaga Senior Member Posts: 404Registered Users
    edited February 2011
    If you want to see a beautiful movie in Japanese/with subt. on the 47 loyal retainers, watch CHUSHINGURA.

It shows exactly what happened.

My utmost respect for these loyal samurai.

Ash.
  • Napoleon 2ndNapoleon 2nd Senior Member Posts: 2,151Registered Users
    edited February 2011
    Can i join?? I'm Napoleon on steam. I've got a maus as my pic.
    'It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent. It is the ones who are the most adaptable to change' Charles Darwin

But I have a thing for cannon...
  • IncubusDragonIncubusDragon Senior Member Behind Enemy Lines... ...a Scotsman in LondonPosts: 1,103Registered Users
    edited February 2011
    Various history sources like the Samurai archives forum have a lot of great info Helsing.
    Don't forget to check their forum threads too e.g. this excellent thread by evalerio
    http://forums.samurai-archives.com/viewtopic.php?t=1638&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
    epic thread by a guy who does good research :cool:
    [PORTABLE-ID]IncubusDragon[/PORTABLE-ID]
    Disorder arises from order, Cowardice arises from courage, Weakness arises from strength - Sun Tzu
    Incubus Dragon |Ronin|
    Click me for Shogun 2 Custom Maps
  • ares_88_ares_88_ Junior Member Posts: 6Registered Users
    edited February 2011
    I too would like to offer my services to the great Takeda clan and it's leader Takeda Shingen. This Hara Toratane will give his honor and life for the clan. I will use all my power to make him the Shogun and the clan the strongest in Japan.
    Ojakata-sama! I will wait for your response.
    edited February 2011
    Takeda Clan Update

Takeda General................In-game Mon................Forum Alias

....Akiyama Nobutomo ...........akiyamanobutomo.gif..................dge1...............
    Tada Mitsuyori..............tadamitsuyori.gif.................JMaszk...
    Obu Toramasa...............obutoramasa.gif.................Shigawire
    風林火山
  • edwa2edwa2 Junior Member Posts: 14Registered Users
    edited February 2011
    please may i join ur clan ow mighty one ??
  • cadbalcadbal Junior Member Posts: 3Registered Users
    edited February 2011
    I wish to be considered for a place in this clan, Obata Toramori would be my choice. I have added you on steam as i am unsure of your recruitment process.
    edited February 2011
    finalw.gif

A. There are two essential ingredients in order for you to be considered for the Takeda clan.

You must posses:
    1. A sense of honour towards your teammates and all of your opponents
    2. The willingness to continue learn, be humble and yet not give up easily in the face of difficulty or become trapped by success.

Honour
    We live in a time where honour is in short supply. It is not a commodity that can be bought, sold or traded; yet often it is the very quality that lies within all human beings awaiting for an opportunity to arise. In that moment, we are given a choice; to live in this moment as persons of character, or to regret our actions later. Sadly, in this day and age, the people that we meet in daily life with honour are few and far between, so as a team we strive together to make this as a core team quality.

Willingness to learn
    Multi-player in many ways is like life; there in no pause button. In the heat of battle, your true character comes to light, as your team mates stand beside you. At that moment you are faced with the mirror of your own actions. It is this consistent and inquisitive attitude towards learning mp that will make this a rewarding experience for you.

Multi-player is about a lot more than just winning and losing.
    The team experience can be very special. Or, it can be overruled by emotion and petty quarreling. We of the Takeda strive from the very beginning to establish trust between each other. That reliability will make you an invaluable member.

If these parameters appeal to you, read on.

Who we are looking for:
    We are looking for 20-30 reliable people, who don't promise too much and yet deliver beyond expectation, students of the Arts of War as applied to the Total war Series. People who love history, the "what if" factor and the heat and intensity of battle.

Ideally, you have mp experience and are a battle ready veteran; or, if you are a single player trying mp for the first time, you will need serious determination and character as the initial baptism is long and hard.

Upon release, the team will train together and raise up and develop newer members so that we fight as one integral unit. In doing so, the core strengths of the team will be established.

Those that posses and respect all of the qualities and necessities listed above contact us.

How to apply
    All applicants need to write a brief summary of their background and reasons why they feel they should be considered to be a part of our clan. Feel free to contact me directly here at the forum by pm.

If you are not prepared to work, this clan is not for you.

Take nothing for granted, and seize every opportunity you can in life.

Best regards,

Takeda Clan
    cap260.jpg
    風林火山
  • BockiieBockiie Junior Member Posts: 27Registered Users
    edited February 2011
    Very interesting clan based on bushido :o
  • Maeda KeijiMaeda Keiji Member Posts: 59Registered Users
    edited February 2011
    i would like to join. ive sent a pm
  • TrenchKnifeTrenchKnife Senior Member Posts: 102Registered Users
    edited February 2011
    Hello,

I posted on Shingen's Steam profile, but I figure I should post something here as well. Im quite interested in the clan you are forming here and Id like to learn more. Ive been playing TW since the original Shogun, and I did quite a bit of multiplayer in Empire and Napoleon (I used to go by the name "Gora sahib" in Empire). Anyway, Im an older gamer with years of wargaming under my belt and Im hoping to find a mature group of folks to play TWS2 with, and to hopefully have successes.

Cheers,
    TrenchKnife
    (steam profile name is TrenchKnife)
    "Git thar furstest wit the mostest" - N.B. Forrest
    Takeda Itagaki Nobukata (aka "Ita")
    Budo League member and officer
    formerly Gora Sahib (Empire and Napoleon)