Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Everyone Experiencing Lag on Battle Map or Campaign map PLEASE READ

Comments

• MaizelMaizel Registered Users Posts: 183
    edited September 2013
    So hardwaremaster, Will CA patch the game to support multigpu systems?
  • HardwaremasterHardwaremaster Registered Users, Tech Moderators Posts: 6,391
    edited September 2013
    Tavi wrote: »
    Hardwaremaster how do you think is there any probability that all that performance problems are caused by our CPUs bottleneck. Cause if to say reasonable my i5 2500 is not really hi end nowadays. Can it cause such lag?

Its not a really powerful CPU. but it should be fine, the Multi-threading is a bit improved over S2 like expected, at least according to my tests. But that will only go so far if your GPU doesn't have what it needs to perform. AKA Drivers supporting the game.

SHUMER wrote: »
    what if... they released a pre-alpha, beta like in Empire total war?

They were rushed a bit, but we have FAR less support requests than ETW did.

Maizel wrote: »
    So hardwaremaster, Will CA patch the game to support multigpu systems?

Not up to CA at this point, its all in Nvidia and AMD's hands to fix that problem as it stands.
    Total War Forum: Terms and Conditions
    "True redundancy is when you are writing a description to describe the word that describes the description you used to describe it." - Christopher Purches

My PC: (2x 980GTX 4GB) (32GB DDR4 2133mhz) (I7 5980K OC 4.5Ghz) (512GB SSDs + 2TB storage drives)

"How on earth is a video game supposed to help you "feel the smell of ash"? Maybe CA could package some up with your disc." -Mackles
  • MangeduvetMangeduvet Registered Users Posts: 96
    edited September 2013
    I must really urge everyone to do a comparison of "Teutoburg Forest" video on YouTube with your ingame graphics. The difference is just simply STAGGERING, the current ingame graphics is as if it would be pre alpha and the YouTube clip full release. The campaign map graphics also seems to be worse than the ones shown on E3 for example.

- Teutoburg Forest clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKSkBEJ_wrM
    - E3 footage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJTTsDiqDeY

A question on that note, is this also because of drivers?
  • DinsyDinsy Registered Users Posts: 16
    edited September 2013
    Disabled integrated graphics in system bios (seriously that's the only way with CCC and the new auto-switch GPUs) and managed to get Rome to see my dedicated card.
    edited September 2013
    Mangeduvet wrote: »
    I must really urge everyone to do a comparison of "Teutoburg Forest" video on YouTube with your ingame graphics. The difference is just simply STAGGERING, the current ingame graphics is as if it would be pre alpha and the YouTube clip full release. The campaign map graphics also seems to be worse than the ones shown on E3 for example.

- Teutoburg Forest clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKSkBEJ_wrM
    - E3 footage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJTTsDiqDeY

A question on that note, is this also because of drivers?

I can tell you that your not playing on high-Extreme because it looks better than in the videos on my machine, as long as I have SLI off. The Auto reduction agent appears to be causing settings to be locked at low. And Drivers are causing performance problems for many, as well as people with integrated solutions.

Dinsy wrote: »
    Disabled integrated graphics in system bios (seriously that's the only way with CCC and the new auto-switch GPUs) and managed to get Rome to see my dedicated card.

Did it help with performance though? Whats your GPU?
    "True redundancy is when you are writing a description to describe the word that describes the description you used to describe it." - Christopher Purches

My PC: (2x 980GTX 4GB) (32GB DDR4 2133mhz) (I7 5980K OC 4.5Ghz) (512GB SSDs + 2TB storage drives)

"How on earth is a video game supposed to help you "feel the smell of ash"? Maybe CA could package some up with your disc." -Mackles
    edited September 2013
    HARDWARE: "I can tell you that your not playing on high-Extreme because it looks better than in the videos on my machine, as long as I have SLI off. The Auto reduction agent appears to be causing settings to be locked at low. And Drivers are causing performance problems for many, as well as people with integrated solutions."

Oh yes, I forgot that actually setting the settings to EXTREME means LOW or what? Come on! It's nowhere near the same quality as in the videos on EXTREME. ULTRA. VERY HIGH. Trust me I've tested them all, I really love the Total War series and I want it to work properly sooo BAD.
  • TzimakosGRTzimakosGR Registered Users Posts: 97
    edited September 2013
    My laptop specs:

Intel i3- 2.20Ghz
    ATI Mobility Radeon 5470 - 512MB up to 2GB
    4GB RAM
    Res: 720p

Well, this is actually funny. Here are my benchmark results. Trust me... you will laugh with that :P

Low Settings: 17,4 FPS
    Medium Setting: 15 FPS
    EXTREME SETTINGS: 10 FPS

What kind of sorcery is this ? My laptop is able to run Shogun 2 on medium settings with large unit size pretty flawless.

What do you think guys ? :/
  • Dracorid3rDracorid3r Registered Users Posts: 182
    edited September 2013
    Nvidia, CA are both working on it.
    However, it is what...12:17 in UK, so everyone is asleep...expect about 6/7 hours before CA gets down and dirty with this.
    Tommorow shall bring a new era to R2.
    (\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.
    edited September 2013
    HARDWARE: "I can tell you that your not playing on high-Extreme because it looks better than in the videos on my machine, as long as I have SLI off. The Auto reduction agent appears to be causing settings to be locked at low. And Drivers are causing performance problems for many, as well as people with integrated solutions."

Oh yes, I forgot that actually setting the settings to EXTREME means LOW or what? Come on! It's nowhere near the same quality as in the videos on EXTREME. ULTRA. VERY HIGH. Trust me I've tested them all, I really love the Total War series and I want it to work properly sooo BAD.

As ive said before, your not the only one who's having this issue, it has to do with the auto reduction of settings. Put it on whatever you want, it will reduce it because it thinks that your incapable of running it. Check your gfx log

Appdata\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Rome 2\logs

And see if there is one there.

• DerUhuDerUhu Registered Users Posts: 14
    edited September 2013
    I'd expect the patch in a week or later, Don't expect it tomorrow...
    edited September 2013
    TzimakosGR wrote: »
    My laptop specs:

Intel i3- 2.20Ghz
    ATI Mobility Radeon 5470 - 512MB up to 2GB
    4GB RAM
    Res: 720p

Well, this is actually funny. Here are my benchmark results. Trust me... you will laugh with that :P

Low Settings: 17,4 FPS
    Medium Setting: 15 FPS
    EXTREME SETTINGS: 10 FPS

What kind of sorcery is this ? My laptop is able to run Shogun 2 on medium settings with large unit size pretty flawless.

What do you think guys ? :/

I'm getting around 40-50 on low, 35-45 medium, 30-45 high...ultra and extreme, about 9-15 lol.

So, atm playing at medium settings, and doing semi-smoothly, very few issues, updating driver though, see if any change.
    (\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.
  • FluffyPancakeFluffyPancake Registered Users Posts: 16
    edited September 2013
    Great success, upgrading to the Beta drivers showed a noticeable improvement on the benchmark, I'll have to test out the campaign now.comparison.jpg
    or http://i.imgur.com/XOZB1LV.png
    edited September 2013
    Great success, upgrading to the Beta drivers showed a noticeable improvement on the benchmark, I'll have to test out the campaign now.comparison.jpg

Yet more people showing it fixing it. More proof that it is indeed partially a driver issue. Thank you, but make sure you get the right performance in the game itself, because the benchmark appears to run much better than the actual battles.

edited September 2013
    DerUhu wrote: »
    I'd expect the patch in a week or later.
    Actually, disagree...
    I think about friday, we'll have a few mini patch's, next week will see a big one. It looks to be everyone, (players that are tech savy, NVIDIA, and CA in a few hours, will be all hands on deck)
    It's only been what... 16-17 hours? Give it time.
    (\_/)
    (O.o)
    edited September 2013
    As ive said before, your not the only one who's having this issue, it has to do with the auto reduction of settings. Put it on whatever you want, it will reduce it because it thinks that your incapable of running it. Check your gfx log

Appdata\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Rome 2\logs

And see if there is one there.

Is there anything I can do to prevent this? Or do I just have to wait patiently for a fix to be released via new drivers or patches?
  • Kiing LeonidasKiing Leonidas Banned Users Posts: 308
    edited September 2013
    How can i take pictures from tw r2?
    edited September 2013
    Is there anything I can do to prevent this? Or do I just have to wait patiently for a fix to be released via new drivers or patches?

Other than checking the Unlimited memory box no, it appears to be the agent protocol, and the performance issue is driver based. So its really the worst of both worlds.
    How can i take pictures from tw r2?

F12

edited September 2013
    Other than checking the Unlimited memory box no, it appears to be the agent protocol, and the performance issue is driver based. So its really the worst of both worlds.

Well and that trick didn't work so, I'll just have to wait then. For both drivers and updates.
  • SwissbobSwissbob Registered Users Posts: 9
    edited September 2013
    Thanks for this thread, it's nice to see it's helping others out. I've tried all suggested and solutions and it possibly helped me a little bit, but the game is still unplayable. :( I can play Shogun 2 on High-Ultra with a clean 35-50 FPS, but when I try this one I get a very strange phenomenon.

At first everything is fine, no matter what settings I have I get a great 40-55 FPS. But literally after about a minute (campaign or battle) My Fps drops down to around 20-30, and every 5 seconds or so there is a 3 second lag spike where the Fps drops to about 5. With half of the time playing at 5 FPS and the FPS constantly drastically changing, I can barely play. Low settings are just as bad as Extreme settings, fortunately or unfortunately.

I've tried downloading new 326.80 beta drivers, making sure I'm using my Nvidia driver ( GT 555M ), installing directx from the menu, etc.

Here's to hoping some patches or new drivers will come out :)
    edited September 2013
    Swissbob wrote: »
    Thanks for this thread, it's nice to see it's helping others out. I've tried all suggested and solutions and it possibly helped me a little bit, but the game is still unplayable. :( I can play Shogun 22 on High-Ultra with a clean 35-50 FPS, but when I try this one I get a very strange phenomenon.

At first everything is fine, no matter what settings I have I get a great 40-55 FPS. But literally after about a minute (campaign or battle) My Fps drops down to around 20-30, and every 5 seconds or so there is a 3 second lag spike where the Fps drops to about 5. With half of the time playing at 5 FPS and the FPS constantly drastically changing, I can barely play.

I've tried downloading new 326.80 beta drivers, making sure I'm using my Nvidia driver ( GT 555M ), installing directx from the menu, etc.

Here's to hoping some patches or new drivers will come out :)

Its likely down to drivers and a patch as you said. I believe both should start happening when the whole of CA staff are there in the morning and we will start to see these things get wrapped up. Drivers will likely only help performance, but the agent protocol is going to halt the game from using its full settings.

That is an odd phenomenon. Do you have Anti virus running in the backround? Firewalls? ect.

edited September 2013
    Yet more people showing it fixing it. More proof that it is indeed partially a driver issue. Thank you, but make sure you get the right performance in the game itself, because the benchmark appears to run much better than the actual battles.

I just did a historical battle on the Nile and it was playable a bit laggy but I could actually move my troops and it wasn't a slideshow, nothing compared to the performance I had this morning, I'll test out the prologue and the main campaign and let you know how things go.
    edited September 2013
    I just did a historical battle on the Nile and it was playable a bit laggy but I could actually move my troops and it wasn't a slideshow, nothing compared to the performance I had this morning, I'll test out the prologue and the main campaign and let you know how things go.

Alright thanks, an improvement that large is a very good sign for the next few days.

edited September 2013
    Updated driver, put the settings to the OP, played 2 custom battles, and It went a bit more smoother, gained about 10-15 fps (up to 40)
    So, something made something better lol
    (\_/)
    (O.o)
  • JarlcorbzJarlcorbz Registered Users Posts: 1
    edited September 2013
    I have a intel core 2 duo cpu t6600 on my laptop. Is this a good card for this game? How would I go about getting an up-grade if I need a new one.
  • TaviTavi Registered Users Posts: 242
    edited September 2013
    Hardwaremaster would you like to answer one more question considering CPU. Will be an upgrade from Sandy Bridge to Ivy Bridge still reasonable. Or nowadays new motherboard with Haswell will be the best choice?
  • Masarius#7206Masarius#7206 Registered Users Posts: 1,450
    edited September 2013
    I have 3 more suggestions to increase the fps, at least a little bit. Even through i dont know if they work but they will probably not hurt.

1 and 2 are both in the nvdia control panel. "Energery managment", chose "maximal performance" and for those like, who only use one monitor chose in "mulit-display ect" "one display performance"

Last but not least and probably the best of those 3 suggestions=> FPS Booster. I used it for skyrim, but its made for any game. Dont know how it works. U can get it on skyrim nexus, search for "FPS Background Booster" via google. Its the one from the skyrim nexus site. For skyrim it worked for me.

From now on brothers and sister, every single FPS is a good FPS.
    Till shade is gone,
    till water is gone,
    into the Shadow with the teeth bared,
    screaming defiance with the last breath,
    to spit into Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day
    edited September 2013
    I don't think you need one honestly, sure you don't have the best CPU, but Its not what is causing this major of an issue. Give it 24-48 hours for new drivers and some patches to be released before we talk upgrades. The game works flawlessly for me and most of my friends and it will for you as well soon.

Tavi wrote: »
    Hardwaremaster would you like to answer one more question considering CPU. Will be an upgrade from Sandy Bridge to Ivy Bridge still reasonable. Or nowadays new motherboard with Haswell will be the best choice?

Honestly don't think about upgrading till 24-48 hours from now when new drivers, and new patches are out solving many of the issues. Im confident that most of the people here will be playing the game well in a matter of time.
    Masarius wrote: »
    I have 3 more suggestions to increase the fps, at least a little bit. Even through i dont know if they work but they will probably not hurt.

1 and 2 are both in the nvdia control panel. "Energery managment", chose "maximal performance" and for those like, who only use one monitor chose in "mulit-display ect" "one display performance"

Last but not least and probably the best of those 3 suggestions=> FPS Booster. I used it for skyrim, but its made for any game. Dont know how it works. U can get it on skyrim nexus, search for "FPS Background Booster" via google. Its the one from the skyrim nexus site. For skyrim it worked for me.

From now on brothers and sister, every single FPS is a good FPS.

Thank you, will add this to my list of fixes.

edited September 2013
    Prologue Campaign map, mid 20's fps stationary on map, 15-19 fps when navigating around the prologue map with the mouse.
    1st Prologue battle was between 17-25fps, 2nd Prologue Battle dipped down to 5 fps at the heat of the battle when all units were engaged, apart from that it was hovering in 17-24 range.
    I used fraps to get a fps readout.
    edited September 2013
    Fraps reduces framerates a bit just being there, but not that much. So better but not great yet, are you still having reduction of graphics issues?

• Pertinax23Pertinax23 Registered Users Posts: 59
    edited September 2013
    The beta drivers for the Nvidia cards helped, that is for sure. It's laggy but not as laggy.