Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Rome 2 works for me, and I don't have an amazing rig

Prince-Of-MacedonPrince-Of-Macedon Senior MemberPosts: 525Registered Users
edited September 2013 in General Discussion
Yesterday, I was reading the forums getting quite apprehensive because I knew my laptop wasn't the best for gaming, and was getting really nervous when i read that AMD graphics cards weren't handling the game well.

When i started the game up (i was almost shaking with excitement) i played around with the settings and textures etc., and played a few custom battles, and found that i can play on medium settings (everything medium apart from shadows, sky textures on low) and the game runs fluidly.

my specs are as follows:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2450M CPU @ 2.50GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Card name: AMD Radeon HD 7550M/7650M Graphics

So its a mid-range laptop, gets a bit hot when playing rome 2 but i bought a cooler fan which Hardwaremaster recommended to me, which is working great! i am in the middle of the prologue, which is fun, possibly a little easy as it is for newcomers to TW games. I guess that what i am trying to say to people is that you dont have to have an amazing rig to play the game with no problems (okay i admit a few bugs appear, but nothing that bad) and better still, the game can recognise AMD cards, so if anyone is undecided as to whether r2 can be played on their mid-range laptop, then it is possible!

I'm not gloating as to the fact that i can play, just that it is possible on £550+ laptops and that you shouldn't be put off by some people having problems. I fully admit i thought r2 was going to be too much for my computer, but it isnt and even though i cant play on the best settings, it is still possible to play on acceptable graphics with little to no drops in framerates :)
"I'm holding a burning torch. Your argument is invalid."
Publius Cornelius Scipio at the siege of Carthage, 146 BC

Veni, Vidi, Patchi

Disclaimer: Not the YouTube POM, just an uncreative fan.
Post edited by Prince-Of-Macedon on

Comments

  • ivlattyivlatty Senior Member Posts: 407Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Nice. I have a laptop with 550mb graphics and I can't get 10 fps even with reduced res. however on my 2500k/460gtx (950mb) pc is handling it fine regardless of settings, but textures are clearly locked on low.
  • CloverClover Senior Member Posts: 4,964Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    I would be interested in knowing the GPU people who have problems (me) are using. So far I've noticed that they have all been Nvidia users.
    (\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.
  • Prince-Of-MacedonPrince-Of-Macedon Senior Member Posts: 525Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Yeah, i put all things like vegetation on low, sky on low, sea and unit detail on medium (because i wanna see them!) basically all the unessential things on low and im not having problems :) i dont suppose you would know what the 'battery indicator' setting is at all? i dont really understand what that does!

    Clover wrote: »
    I would be interested in knowing the GPU people who have problems (me) are using. So far I've noticed that they have all been Nvidia users.

    Yeah i read there were problems with Nvidia and Radeon AMD GPUs, would be interesting to know!
    "I'm holding a burning torch. Your argument is invalid."
    Publius Cornelius Scipio at the siege of Carthage, 146 BC

    Veni, Vidi, Patchi

    Disclaimer: Not the YouTube POM, just an uncreative fan.
  • lysforlysfor Member Posts: 68Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Clover wrote: »
    I would be interested in knowing the GPU people who have problems (me) are using. So far I've noticed that they have all been Nvidia users.

    I'm using ATI and I've had problems too. I made a topic on support and seems like a lot of people with same graphic as me have problems too
  • kingsimeon234kingsimeon234 Senior Member Posts: 128Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Clover wrote: »
    I would be interested in knowing the GPU people who have problems (me) are using. So far I've noticed that they have all been Nvidia users.

    I've got a GTX 670, and it runs great.
  • bentygerbentyger Senior Member Posts: 581Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    I've got a gtx 460SE, and it runs well, between 18-40 fps on the benchmark, average was 26.
  • ivlattyivlatty Senior Member Posts: 407Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Batter level indicator is added to the top mid of the UI
  • anubis4567anubis4567 Senior Member Posts: 500Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Battery indicator tells you your laptop's battery life.

    Yea, but the game runs fairly good on lowest settings for me. I have 4 gigs of ram, Intel HD 3000 graphics, i3 processor.
    "The so called negative feedback is often love in disguise. Take full advantage''
  • DrakkenDrakken Senior Member Posts: 234Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    same, i have an almost 3 years old overheating acer predator i am running direct x 10 not the 11
  • Prince-Of-MacedonPrince-Of-Macedon Senior Member Posts: 525Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    anubis4567 wrote: »
    Battery indicator tells you your laptop's battery life.

    Yea, but the game runs fairly good on lowest settings for me. I have 4 gigs of ram, Intel HD 3000 graphics, i3 processor.

    But I don't get why i need this because i am playing with my laptop plugged in? or am i missing something?
    "I'm holding a burning torch. Your argument is invalid."
    Publius Cornelius Scipio at the siege of Carthage, 146 BC

    Veni, Vidi, Patchi

    Disclaimer: Not the YouTube POM, just an uncreative fan.
  • anubis4567anubis4567 Senior Member Posts: 500Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    But I don't get why i need this because i am playing with my laptop plugged in? or am i missing something?

    There's a setting somewhere that let's you disable the icon.
    "The so called negative feedback is often love in disguise. Take full advantage''
  • Prince-Of-MacedonPrince-Of-Macedon Senior Member Posts: 525Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    anubis4567 wrote: »
    There's a setting somewhere that let's you disable the icon.

    yeah i know, but what i dont get it why when my laptop is fully charged and plugged in, the battery icon thing shows that it's 2/3 full?should i play without a battery in, and just on the mains?
    "I'm holding a burning torch. Your argument is invalid."
    Publius Cornelius Scipio at the siege of Carthage, 146 BC

    Veni, Vidi, Patchi

    Disclaimer: Not the YouTube POM, just an uncreative fan.
  • MivoMivo Junior Member Posts: 10Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    I can play the game smoothly on my laptop at 1920x1080 with high to very high settings. GT650M, i7-3610QM, 8GB RAM, Win7-64. No fps issues, no lag, no crashes so far. I use the latest Nvidia beta drivers.
  • TrayvianTrayvian Senior Member Posts: 1,262Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    My Nvidia GTX 590 is solid with no issues, my friend's radeon however has many issues and it's a newer gpu.
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
  • gulasznikowgulasznikow Senior Member Posts: 172Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    I've got i5 4670k with gtx 570 gigabyte
    Good game experience with no graphical issues (what is interesting ;o).
    Bought SSD and it worked out with loading times, loads superfast.
  • bentygerbentyger Senior Member Posts: 581Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Trayvian, do you have any idea what your benchmark fps speed is? Reason I ask is I'm thinking of upgrading my graphics card, and I want a comparrison between my current card (GTX460SE) and a better one, that won't break the bank
    My average was 26fps, peak 40, min 18
Sign In or Register to comment.