Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

The official constructive criticism thread

mechagranmechagran BannedPosts: 136Banned Users
edited September 2013 in General Discussion
***CA PLEASE MAKE THIS A STICKY!***

As it says on the tin, this is the CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM THREAD.

Please add to this thread with your ideas of how to improve the game so that we can all enjoy it.

Please do so constructively and add your suggestions for improvement.

For the avoidance of doubt, this does not include the already exhausted optimisation issues as there are
a) myriad threads on this topic
b) a lot of very juvenile posts already
c) a lot of **** computers out there.

FYI - my game is running great on ultra & extreme. This is about the actual gameplay.

I appreciate this is subjective and everyone is entitled to their own opinion but let's try and be adults and be constructive and positive. These are FIRST WORLD PROBLEMS people. Just think *Syria* and you get my drift.

This is the only way your voice will be heard amongst the masses. Keep it mature and where possible, positive.

AND PLEASE, AVOID HYPERBOLE!

PLEASE USE NUMBERING OR BULLET POINTS WHERE POSSIBLE FOR EASE OF REFERENCE

*ahem* so let's kick off with ones already mentioned over the last 24 hours.

1. transport ships overpowered
2. some further consideration of public order issues
3. tactical map freezes
4. victory points which kind of ruin the ambience?
5. battles are over too swiftly

Ok, I will add to this - please do so yourself and please wherever possible suggest corrections or amendments.

Ready, steady? Go.....>>
Goodbye
Post edited by mechagran on

Comments

• hvypetalshvypetals Senior Member Posts: 110Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    1. guard mode missing
    2. standing pila throw missing
    3. winter, spring and fall missing
  • TornadiumTornadium Senior Member Posts: 318Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    1. Implement the cut content, Faction Selection screen and Full Carthage Siege to begin with
    2. Fire at will on units with throwing spears
    3. Remove the magic abilities
    edited September 2013
    1. Implement the cut content, Faction Selection screen and Full Carthage Siege to begin with
    2. Fire at will on units with throwing spears
    3. Remove the magic abilities
  • harbingerxyharbingerxy Senior Member Posts: 312Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    1. Unoptimized POS / performance issues
    2. Battle speed is ridiculous
    3. Battles are blobs
    4. No tactics
    5. Unnecessary abilities like "the whip" or "draco", only adding to the micromanagement.
  • mechagranmechagran Banned Posts: 136Banned Users
    edited September 2013
    Tornadium can you elaborate on the magic abilities bit? Thanks for your input.
    Goodbye
    edited September 2013
    1. Unoptimized POS / performance issues
    2. Battle speed is ridiculous
    3. Battles are blobs
    4. No tactics
    5. Unnecessary abilities like "the whip" or "draco", only adding to the micromanagement.

Agree guard mode would be an improvement over, say, whip.
    Goodbye
    edited September 2013
    What is "Battles are blobs?" Do you mean in the campaign map or do you mean the actual battle?

I find the maps both challenging and quite pretty. Do you mean the actual fighting is an amorphous blob? - is this a hardware issue?
    Goodbye
  • VexosVexos Member Posts: 45Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    mechagran wrote: »
    Agree guard mode would be an improvement over, say, whip.

Maybe it's DLC?
  • toleranceispaintoleranceispain Junior Member Posts: 49Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Battle UI unit cards are massive and in the way. Also the click and drag feature is clunky and works 50% of the time for me at best.
    edited September 2013
    Tornadium can you elaborate on the magic abilities bit? Thanks for your input.

The likes of Draco, Warcry, Second Wind, Crack the Whip, Rapid Advance

They aren't necessary, if you just charge one enemy flank with heavy infantry, spam off intimidate and warcry onto one unit they pretty much instantly rout and the entire flank goes with them.

Thats on VH.
    edited September 2013
    Vexos - sorry don't understand? There is whip mode in the main game and I appreciate this is probably historically accurate but I much prefer guard mode if I had to choose - its a helpful tactic.
    Goodbye
    edited September 2013
    Tornadium wrote: »
    The likes of Draco, Warcry, Second Wind, Crack the Whip, Rapid Advance

They aren't necessary, if you just charge one enemy flank with heavy infantry, spam off intimidate and warcry onto one unit they pretty much instantly rout and the entire flank goes with them.

Thats on VH.

Yep, I have experienced the same and I like the deatures but perhaps you maybe only get one go at each per battle? Or as you say remove and make it a more basic set up. All good ideas people thanks for your input.

I just really want to balance out all the infantile complaining and create something that CA might actually read and act upon.
    Goodbye
    edited September 2013
    Battle UI unit cards are massive and in the way. Also the click and drag feature is clunky and works 50% of the time for me at best.

agreed
    Goodbye
    edited September 2013
    I mean completely remove it, they add nothing to the gameplay.

Also before doing anything else readd the cut content and fix the UI.
    edited September 2013
    Vexos - sorry don't understand? There is whip mode in the main game and I appreciate this is probably historically accurate but I much prefer guard mode if I had to choose - its a helpful tactic.

I meant guard mode . . . I was only joking though :P
    edited September 2013
    Vexos wrote: »
    I meant guard mode . . . I was only joking though :P

lolz. u got me.
    Goodbye
    edited September 2013
    lolz. u got me.

Sarcasm, or not? can't tell?
    edited September 2013
    Vexos wrote: »
    Sarcasm, or not? can't tell?

not at all, I was scratching my head! :)
    Goodbye
  • Greasy DaveGreasy Dave Senior Member Posts: 267Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Posted this elsewhere, but I'll paste it in here too for what it's worth. hopefully a dev will read it:

1. get rid of capture the flag on non-siege battles. I'm defending, in hills. Julius Caesar would place himself on the hilltop. The computer plants my flag down in the valley where my army spawned - I mean that IS really really annoying.

2. Unit tiredness doesn't seem to feature anymore in battles. I've moused over units and just can't read it anywhere. This is vital information for any general - how do I know who needs reinforcing or which enemies to fire range weapons at to get them to rout? I've a nasty feeling its disappeared completely from the game.

3. Battle speed and tiredness. I've had attacking swordsmen units charge up a very steep hill to attack my position, and have only managed to get one, possibly two rounds of ranged attacks on them - they seemed to be running as fast as they do on a plain.

4. The help/ manual could be a lot better.

A couple of minor gripes which are annoying only because they should have been picked up in testing before release.

5. My Carthaginian general has an elephant bodyguard - on the unit card it says melee. In battle they're actually a ranged unit. I couldn't work that one out.
    6. When I level up my agents, the tool tips tell me what the traits will bring. When I level up my generals, I don't get that info - I need to go to the manual. Frustrating.

Finally I'll add briefly what I think is great and they got right:
    1. Changes to public order system.
    2. I actually like the reduced army numbers (so far)- it requires greater planning on my part.
    3. Army traits - great.
    4. The campaign map is beautiful.
    5. Generally the campaign game feels much deeper than any TW game I've played before - multiple reasons for that - provinces, tech trees, public order and culture, limited means to transport your armies, the diplomacy system seems to sort of work (though I'm still not sure about that, haven't played long enough).
  • robin2852robin2852 Senior Member Posts: 825Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    My major bugbear at the moment, avoiding technical issues, is that the Campaign AI seems so hostile to any diplomacy. I just started a new save as Suebi, and i'm having a fun time. I have three clans around me that have a friendly attitude towards me, with a 50+ rating. However, none of them will even sign a trade agreement unless i give them 5k.
    I had a similiar issue in my Pontus save, where, despite having absolutely beaten down Athens, and even captured Athens city, the faction just wouldn't sign a peace treaty with even the most generous conditions.

The campaign AI definitely needs tweaking.
  • YoloYolo Senior Member Posts: 161Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    1. Fix graphic issues so people don't cry.
    2. Fix some dumpy Ai moves.
    3. Buy Sandwich
    4. Eat Sandwich
  • wingolf22wingolf22 Senior Member Posts: 255Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    My only main critic- points will be modded for sure I guess :rolleyes:

-battlespeed too fast
    -colours of the factions (especially Parthia and Suebi [which are of course the ones I wanted to play the most xD])
    -more units! (like: Suebian units differ only slightly. More or less you got only spearmen and clubmen as standart- melee and a levy version of the two. I'd suggest:
    - wardogs
    - screechers or female warriors of some sort (Setrus used to post the notion that CA recorded female voices for battlecries, but now there are no female units on the game up to this point ...)
    - one medicore cav unit at least

- 'hoplite- formation- mode' for spearbrothers. For that is in fact what they probably did.
    I cannot love the sneering spawn of demons!
    As long as they defiantly stand in Germany,
    Hatred is my duty and my virtue is revenge!

Arminius, "Die Hermannsschlacht" by Kleist
  • HardvarkHardvark Junior Member Posts: 5Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    By far my biggest criticism has to be the victory flag in open battles. In past games, the real fun for me has been trying to find ways to win battles when the odds are stacked heavily against you. That meant looking to utilise the high ground, or taking advantage of woods to ambush your enemy.

Now you can either sit in the middle of the map and get slaughtered, or occupy the high ground and watch as the enemy captures the victory flag and wins the battle without ever engaging you. I honestly cannot understand how anyone thought this was a good idea.
  • BongologistBongologist Member Posts: 91Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    In campaign mode, tool-tips don't tell you if the region of land is an enemy, this can get a bit annoying, although I figured out if they have a + on the tool-tip that comes up then usually they are allied because the extra tool-tip (hover mouse) warns you about trespassing into their land.

All the other TW games always had a tool-tip to tell you 'friend or foe' when you held the mouse on their land before, please put it back.

I will add more this is my only concern yet.
    ~ Intel i5-2500 3.30 Ghz - Nvidia GTX 570 2GB VRAM - 8GB DDR3 - Windows 7 64bit ~
  • vonblundervonblunder Junior Member Posts: 12Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Mostly issues with battles, still working my way in the campaign / strategy side:
    1- most important: speed of battle, including speed of units movement. I have seen skirmishers keeping up with cavalry for an extended period of time! Combat time is too short, especially on open battles (siege battles tend to last a bit longer for me and are bit more interesting (never thought I'd say that for a TW game but heh!) I have had some battles done in 2 minutes! Would expect 20-45 minutes for a decent size battle.
    2- the temporary buffs aka 'magic abilities' they are tedious and don't add a tactical element. Just something you need to remember to spam whenever it refreshes. (quick reload comes to mind)
    3 - graphics, mostly the shadows / darkness of it all. Colour scheme a la '300' sepia / saturated whatever you call it. I'd prefer more natural colours for immersion.
    4 - unit cards take too much of the screen when you have a large army (more than 1 row of cards)
    5 - the zoom level, it goes all the way back to make your army look like ants, not very immersive, feels disconnected. I didn't get that feel so much with other TW titles.
    6 - hard to keep units in formation at all once they start fighting. Moving / fighting with pikes in phalanx formation is mind boggling (maybe that's just me doing it wrong)
    7 - Ballistas seem to refuse to shoot at some walls for no apparent reason. Possibly when it's a corner wall.
    8 - No seasons! even the older TW titles had at least a winter / summer cycle, with attrition in winter etc... + bonus for fighting in snow for some units.
  • MrKaupoMrKaupo Senior Member Posts: 237Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    1. I hate big unit detail window, can't even compare fast nits in recruitment line.
    2. performance
  • redhairdaveredhairdave Junior Member Posts: 17Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    snip
    5. Generally the campaign game feels much deeper than any TW game I've played before - multiple reasons for that - provinces, tech trees, public order and culture, limited means to transport your armies, the diplomacy system seems to sort of work (though I'm still not sure about that, haven't played long enough).

roma surrectium 2, it had a better campaign. i was quite disappointed in that. it was just a mod for rome 1, they should have talked to those people(i am going to re install this so i have something to play while i wait for this to be modded, or for patches to fix it.)

as for gripes, all battles seem to just be blob on blob, its seems much less important to maintain a line, just blob up, and merge your blob with their blob and see what happens.

the provincial happiness scale is total garbage. why does how happy some city is that you have never seen, and will never see in your life matter to you in your city. people back then didn't travel like we do. going from one city to another was for the rich and powerful. i just don't get the shared happiness.

it really seems like they just dumbed down the game in the logistics section. i dont like the troops magically showing up in the army, the auto reload of troops is kinda meh also. i liked rome 1 for having to bring up reinforcements. i guess its less to do, but i liked the control.
  • JackieChanJackieChan Senior Member Posts: 124Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Concerns:

1: Diplomacy has certainly improved but at the moment it's borked. Factions, even ones that are really friendly with you refuse trade outright. Forget about trying to secure any alliances because they will say no. This will probably get fixed so I'm not worried

2: Small factions are steamrolling over the more important ones. Egypt, Iceni, Epirus and Carthage (including everyone of her client states) have all been destroyed within 50 turns. I understand that the less important factions need to have a chance to succeed but right now it's just messed up. Again I'm sure CA will fix this so it's not a big deal.

3: Campaign and battlefield AI behave strangely. The campaign AI are almost completely unaggressive towards me but when they choose to attack, they're completely suicidal i.e sending one unit armies to attack my cities... Hopefully this can be fixed

4: Battles could use some work. Right now most of them turn into mosh pits. Can this be fixed? I hope so

5: Having 1 year per turn makes sense when you actually think about it, but it means your generals pass away too soon. Once I start making a really awesome general he ends up dying before I have a chance to get attached to them. Right now they feel way too disposable. I don't really care about seasons as much as my generals, but having more turns per year would fix this problem instantly. Hopefully a modder gets on top of this... Or CA decide to add this in as an option of some kind

6: The family tree might not have been the most useful feature but it definitely added a tonne of immersion. Knowing who your faction heir was, or which generals were related added so much to the concept of building a family run empire... The family tree in conjunction with the political system in the game right now would have been sensational. CA missed out on a huge opportunity with this one which I don't think can be remedied. Either way, I'm a little sad it's not there but it doesn't change how a feel about the game.

7: Graphical issues. I'm one of the few people who isn't having that many problems with the graphics at the moment but, judging from all the threads made by people who are, this definitely needs to be resolved.

The game has a ****load of potential, but that potential is completely squandered by all the bugs and some of the broken features. There is a masterpiece hidden beneath some of the dirt. This game is way too epic an undertaking for it not be good.

And one more thing... What happened to the epic siege of Carthage. I've never bothered with historical battles but that was one the first things I wanted to try out. Why was it so... underwhelming in the end? Didn't Al say it would be better in the release? Why did it turn out worse?
  • NerzanaNerzana Junior Member Posts: 7Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    1)The UI seems to be too big and in the way of the map. Also the End of Turn list seems to big i perfer the small icons to the left that are smaller.

2)The units will be retreating to where I asked them to go and when they are all most there one soldier will be attacked and the entire unit will turn around and attack.

3)Making a trade agreement is nearly impossible and client states get overpowered too quickly
  • pannonianpannonian Banned Posts: 32Banned Users
    edited September 2013
    The campaign AI definitely needs tweaking.

Erm...source?