Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

The official constructive criticism thread

Comments

• sccrboi01sccrboi01 Senior Member Posts: 330Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    sorry 1 more thing I realized. There is like no special message or warning or cinematic during a fight for when your general/admiral is killed in battle whats up with that???
    Most peoples' response to Rome II expansion...."Please Sir may I have some more"......

My Massagetae, battered and bloody, but undefeated in the field! True masters of battle :)! Masters of campaigning on the other hand, unfortunately not.......:(
  • panzerthrashpanzerthrash Member Posts: 84Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Kuat wrote: »
    Please make new User Interface:

- redesign the silly "card style" graphics
    - make full screen city management
    - make full screen tech research with visible trees
    - just make everything full screen - that little box on the bottom sucks

This! please CA make it so!
    Computer:dual Radeon 7970s 3gb. fx 8350 4ghz. 8 gig ram 1600mhz.
    nvidia gtx 680. 17 2600k. 8 gig ram 1600mhz
  • nottu2584nottu2584 Junior Member Posts: 1Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    • Pursuing AI for routing units is dumb: i.e. cavalry goes to solo targets chasing them and ignoring the units that they cross when they should just go over them.
    • Some animations break the defense and cohesion of a unit: when a unit makes another rout, it starts celebrating even when they are surrounded by enemies, stopping without chasing them right away.
  • AXLAXL Senior Member Posts: 180Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Nvidia experience put my rig on ultra on shogun2 ,while in rome 2 it say system don't meet system requirement ??, maybe nvida go drunk or something wrong with the game that cant put user rig to full potential, this is my main concern

as for gameplay please support the modder while patch giving them backbone of mod, CA should know that mod save and extend their game value such as the legendary rome 1 and the fail ETW that become enjoyable after mod

yup only this
  • rawvoltagerawvoltage Junior Member Posts: 4Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    the units in rome 2 looks horrible even on extreme settings, units in rome 1 are awesome
    battle speed too quick
    It sucks to have no family trees
    transport ships make naval ships redundant..make it simple like previous total war games
    too much bugs and crashes
    cities management are boring
  • Barbarian HoboBarbarian Hobo Member Posts: 61Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    What I personally think is really annoying is that (and it used to be like that in rome 1 as well not sure about the other total wars)

Let's say I tell cavalry to "run" instead of "walk". While I wait for them to move I control my front infantry etc. I notice the cavalry shouldn't attack anymore where I pointed them to "run". I select them using the Unit card, I left click where I want them to go instead of the the first command. And they go back in to "walk" mode automaticly. This often ***** me because while i'm focusing again on my front line / archers etc. I'm thinking WHERE THE **** IS MY CAVALRY CMON!
    I look for them and I see that they are just walking...
  • davek2807davek2807 Senior Member Posts: 203Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Too lazy to read through 19 pages of posts to see if this has already been mentioned, right click attack orders seems to be broken nearly every battle I fight units become unresponsive, and siege battles are just a joke units just get stuck on ladders or they make it up the ladder but get stuck on the wall.

There is a lot I like about Rome 2 not saying its all bad but the battles are ruining the experience completely, if its not stupid AI its my troops wont even move when I try send them to attack.
  • Barbarian HoboBarbarian Hobo Member Posts: 61Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Another issue is in multiplayer; when I battle my friend (even with the smallest budget for troop, so we don't have that many troops) ,so well: When we battle and the real fight kicks off on normal speed all the units will still look like they move in slow motion. And also the AI turns in the multiplayer campaign take even longer than in single player, It took about 5 full mins even with show AI moves turned off. Horrible really unplayable, we just quit the campaign after 5-6 turns because the tempo was so slow.
  • FuujinrokuFuujinroku Senior Member Posts: 230Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    I really like this thread! The more constructive criticism and the more concentrated it is, the faster and simpler it will be for CA to get the information they need.
    The Guard dies, it does not surrender!
  • mechagranmechagran Banned Posts: 136Banned Users
    edited September 2013
    Fuujinroku wrote: »
    I really like this thread! The more constructive criticism and the more concentrated it is, the faster and simpler it will be for CA to get the information they need.

Hi, thanks - it was what i was aiming for. Concise content makes CA lives easier, makes the game (hopefully better) ergo it makes us happier.

<simples>? :)

By the way, the victory points are a terrible idea. If i move away to take up better positions (for example the only higher ground ont he plain in greece) as Sparta (outnumbered), I lose. Even though I lost 47 men and they lost 459.

I get why its there in the set piece battles in walled cities as you have to take these points. BUT, out on the battlefield it makes very little sense and flies in the face of why I pick a certian area and use my strategy.

Please remove this thanks! :p
    Goodbye
  • davek2807davek2807 Senior Member Posts: 203Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    mechagran wrote: »
    Hi, thanks - it was what i was aiming for. Concise content makes CA lives easier, makes the game (hopefully better) ergo it makes us happier.

<simples>? :)

By the way, the victory points are a terrible idea. If i move away to take up better positions (for example the only higher ground ont he plain in greece) as Sparta (outnumbered), I lose. Even though I lost 47 men and they lost 459.

I get why its there in the set piece battles in walled cities as you have to take these points. BUT, out on the battlefield it makes very little sense and flies in the face of why I pick a certian area and use my strategy.

Please remove this thanks! :p

So other people are finding victory points in open field battle too, I thought my game was bugged, I also thought CA said there would only be victory points in siege battles, having them in open battle is a joke good luck trying to defeat a large force with your small one when there is a flag positioned in the middle of the map away from your nice bit of defensible high ground.
  • AlchimiAlchimi Member Posts: 78Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Very nice post.

I'll had as many here:
    -The moronic/suicidal IA (I've seen an IA attack my walled city-athenes- without doing any siege equipment, they landed half of theirs troops via navy in my town, other half they sitted outside my wall while the towers killed them one by one. I killed the one in the city. Done for.)
    -Missing Guard Mode (biggest WTF of the game in my opinion...)
    -Edit: I forgot, victory points on open field battles> THE WORST IDEA EVER!
    You redeploy on a hill to defend, your victory poins sits where your amy spawned. And you can throw all tactical notions to the dump while you lose because ennemy army takes your point without killing you/you get slaugtered cause you have to attack against a larger force you could had killed if they had to attack
    -A clear way to have 2 or more armies assaulting the same target... (not allways clear, I find...)
    -UI too big on battles/not very intuitive at first. I've seen many players on the ingame chat asking where was the option to set military target to allies.
    (I like the drawings in the unit cards, thought, it's nice).

All in all I really like the game, should they fix the hottest issues and it will maybe be the best TW game.
  • Edge Of PainEdge Of Pain Junior Member Posts: 9Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Note: The only other Total War games I play on a regular basis are: Rome 1, Medieval 2, and Shogun 2. All with all DLC/expansions/latest updates.

1. Unit cards are fine and actually look really good, but when you have a big army it takes up far too much space on the screen.

2. Another unit cards issue is that you have to keep your cursor over the unit card for a few seconds before it displays things like morale, fatigue, etc in more detail then just the icons. Why not just display those details instantly rather than making us wait for something we never had to in the past?

3. Guard mode is required. Sure, there are some units who have the brace ability but a guard mode should be available for all units. I don't see a good reason to remove this.

2. Pila were not just used when charging. They were also used to break charges, correct me if I'm wrong. Therefore please, PLEASE bring back fire at will on pila-equipped soldiers. Again, I just don't think there's a good reason to remove this.

3. There are some issues with AI. The AI seems to exclusively use abilities of the general alone, and the phalanx ability. For example, I was testing just now with archers against Praetorian Guard. But the Praetorian Guard did not use Testudo to protect against the missiles, despite the fact that it was only my archers vs their Praetorian Guard (excluding the generals). In another test, I pit several Praetorian Guard against 1 Praetorian Guard to cause fatigue. Even when the enemy soldiers were exhausted, the AI refused to use the "use whip" ability.

I can't really comment on the AI tactics however since I'm not the best player myself.

However,

4. The AI is awful at taking cities. Once I took Carthage, and Libya tried to take it from me, so they just massed all their units into one blob outside the city walls and didn't attempt to come in at all, or set fire to the gate. In other cases the AI just sits outside the city in a formation for a while.

5. There's the performance issue but that's been shouted so many times already I'm sure you know by now :D

6. Sometimes the auto-resolve statistics are way too much in my favour and can be abused. For example, in a naval battle of 1 of my general + 4 leves vs. 1 of their general + 8 or so of the same class of javelin-throwers, it said my army was far superior in the auto-resolve bar even though no reinforcements were present at all. If I had manually fought the battle I would have lost.

Thanks

EDIT: Also, where did the loose formation option go?!
  • moridinmoridin Member Posts: 73Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Multiplayer quick match battles:

1) In multiplayer battles, there is no way to signal an SOS that would be clearly visible and audible to the ally.

In shogun 2, there was a big Flag that appeared on the field that was clearly visible to the ally (both on minimap and field) and it made a slighlty interrupting sound that would alert your ally.
    These red, green and blue lines are good for conveying tactics at teh start of the battle but not for pinging / alerting the ally in the heat of the battle as teh markers just overlap with the units and are not clearly visible at a quick scan over the battle field / minimap.

Please let me know if I am missing something but I coul dnot find them in the four 2v2 quick match battles that i played with my friend online.

2) The color scheme in the quick match army selection screen does not give any alert if the opponent has clicked ready or if the timer is running out! Again, in shogun 2, there was a big sound like a gong when the opponent clicked ready for battle at the army selection screen.

I know there are a few buigs here and there but I would just like to use this post to reiterate what i have in a couple other threads:
    I am in frakking love with this game :D Great Job CA!!
  • BejnsBejns Member Posts: 34Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    1. Slower battles
    2. More morale for units
    3. No map objectives - this is not battlefield (especially on open maps)
    4. Fix routing units chasing problem (i cant find them on the map, bring banners back)

Great game, just needs a lot of polishing

5. Would love family tree, i cant connect to spawn general pool
  • lesh11blesh11b Junior Member Posts: 1Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    1: fix phalanxes

2: guard mode please (this might fix "mobbing")

3: for the love of god no capture points on open battlefields

4: at least minimize the effects of "magic" abilities

5: units break so fast I can't maneuver

Keep working CA and this game will be incredible!
  • HipstorianHipstorian Member Posts: 116Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    First off: Kudos to CA for the hard work and production of what has the potential to be an excellent game, even with the CTDs and other issues, I am still glad I pre-ordered. Now into the constructive critique.

Things I don't mind:

1. Unit Cards. They are fine, took a little getting used to but honestly, not a big deal.
    2. Battle speed. Didn't really mind it either.
    3. Family tree (with a caveat). I think that historically, for the Romans anyway, the 'families' were more expansive dynasties than a sort of royal family (some exceptions in the late Empire obviously). Representing this in full seems a bit of a waste of time, considering that so many would take jobs in roles relatively unrelated to the game at hand. However the caveat to that is that I WOULD like to know if someone from my family is going to be available as a general, and more generally what is going on within the family. It just seems, and this is an ongoing theme, hard to get to grips with.
    3. AI. They will always be fundamentally handicapped in this regard, artificial intelligence is exactly that. It will always be limited by the realities of fitting what is essentially a smoke and mirrors ai into such a complex game. As long as the ridiculous 'I'll stand on the shore not moving while I get pelted with javelins' stuff gets fixed, I don't expect them to create sentient ai.

If I want really good battles I'll go online.

That is it of the things already raised that I didn't really have a problem with. What was a problem are the following:

1. User Interface... obtuse as anything. Notifications not coming up automatically on the right hand side is odd. Not having an easy way to track your food (predicted is important, would be good to know if I'm heading towards starvation). I have no idea how much of the three stats my generals/admirals have unless I add it up manually.. which is ridiculous.

The UI from Shogun was working for me, and I don't think this is a symptom of merely needing to adjust to the new system, there really are some very counter intuitive decisions when it comes to the design of the UI.

2. Transports and naval battles more generally. I was a bit uneasy when I read that units could just up and create a navy from thin air... It sort of makes sense in Civ.. but in this. Not at all. The old system was a bit odd and made less sense.. this is worse. Maybe there should be dedicated transport ships that can load up units that are then represented in the same way that already exists (as that unit in a slightly weaker boat).

Otherwise, it is just bad.

3. Why can't I see fleeing units on the minimap or the tactical map? I want to be able to see both so I can mercilessly run them down. I end up just clicking 'end battle' 100% of the time, because it is too hard to find any of them. Not sure if this is a bug or not.

4. WHY ARE ALL MY CHARACTERS INSANE!? Maybe there is something going on that I'm missing, but within a few turns of them becoming generals, every general is 'a bit odd' or whatever the -authority +zeal insanity thing is. Maybe it is because I haven't figured out/been offered a marriage yet?

My real problem is that I can see the gem there! There is a great game under the obtuse UI and the bugs. I haven't even gone into the bugs because they are about technical rather than design aspects of the game. I have had fun in my 24 hours of playing the game since release... even though I know that if I play 300 turns that 12 hours of that will be spent waiting for the AI to take its turns. And it is just a shame that so much of the potential of the game is floundering in these minor issues that seem so glaringly obvious.
    'What moral flows from this? Probably none.
    Only the blood flows, drying quickly,
    and, as always, a few rivers, a few clouds.'
  • HoffmeisterHoffmeister Senior Member Posts: 220Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    I´d love to see more specific tooltips and a more informative encyclopedia. Which unit is good vs. another for example. So many units look like the same for me. It is really hard to get into the game in my opinion, well at least for me. The game is so huge! =)
    The ai removes some orders when i move them. Is that meant to be so? The Hastati for ex. don´t hold formation during another order/move when I ordered them do hold battle formation during attack. Maybe it´s just me, I don´t know.

If C.A. manages to fix the gfx issues and we get some fixes for the ai bugs, the game will be more than great for me. I did not expect a bugfree game, since they are a smaller games company. That said, they have nr. 1 support. That´s why I preordered by the way.

Back to the construcitve. I´d like to see a bit more of an aggressive ai, which also uses the new features of the game more often.
    That´s it for now.

Greetings from Germany,
    hoffmeister
    If you want to make enemies, try to change something.
  • z0mgz0mg Junior Member Posts: 2Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Made an account so I could give CA some feedback on the bad parts of the game. No one is probably going to read it, but I just have to get it off my chest.

1.Battle speed. Battles that I fought usually lasted around 5 minutes. Everything was happening super quickly. Move your troops into formation, march on the enemy, order the attack of individual units. The melee phase happens so quickly you don't have time to zoom in to watch the action. You are busy managing your units and the battle already ends. I tested out a battle with praetorian guard vs. royal spartans. The battle lasted a bit longer than with the basic units, but still, it was just a front fight, with no flanking. If I had flanking units, the armies would still break too quickly.
    Why spend a ton of money and get one of the largest mocap studios and do tons of animations? You hardly ever see them in battles because they end way too quickly. Regular field battles should last atleast 15-20 minutes with full stack armies. You can probably achieve that by adjusting the defense/armor/attack values for units. This then gives you the time to manouver your troops but also enjoy zoomed in clashes and animations. I feel this could give battles an epic feeling.

2. Graphical user interface. The UI feels really disapointing. When I watched preview videos I always thought that it is for sure just a placeholder. To my horror it was in the actual game. On one hand you have archaic looking unit portraits, which are too large and it is sometime hard to distinguish between different units. Why not just have a picture of the actual unit, the way it looks in game? It would make identifying units easy and it would look better (personal opinion). On the other hand you have this modern tablet/smartphone style UI. It just doesn't mix well with the roman era. The UI is also too large (in battles with controling more than 20 units it can take up a large portion of the screen). On the campaign map it just feels out of place. I understand CA wanted to make the factions feel as different as possible, as this gives increased replayability and general feeling of a grand campaign map.
    At this point, all the factions basicly have the same UI. Why not add some texture to it? For example, greco-roman cultural group could get marble textures, pillars, mosaics, and so on. Eastern culture groups could get papyrus, sandstone, desert textures, and so on. Barbarians could get wood, earth, grass textures and so on. This would make factions more unique, and if not factions, atleast culture groups.
    Another issue is technology research and army management UI. It felt so much better in Shogun 2, where you could open up a nice window and it would show you all the technologies in this one window. Instead of one click, you have to click about five times to look through the available tehnologies and decide which to take. Army and general management (household, stats, traits, description of your general, traditions, emblems) could also be done from one window, instead of madly clicking to find the right icon(or in my case madly pressing keyboard shortcuts).
    The whole UI thing felt a lot better in Shogun 2. I also saw a thread on this forum, where a guy showed picture by picture comparison of the UI between the two games. The UI in Rome 2 just doesn't cut it for a 2013 AAA title. Why change the Shogun UI so much, if it already worked almost perfectly? I have a feeling that it was just the change because of change. If it's not broken, don't fix it.

3. Characters and families. I am a huge fan of Crusader Kings II, where one can really bond with the characters, from their birth to their death. You can play as a virtuous and wise king or as a ruthless tyrant, you can get a ton of traits for your characters, good or bad. These trais make characters feel unique. Even the 2D portraits feel way better than 3D ones in Rome II. The portraits just have no life in them. They are basicly the same, pictured from different angles. A 70 years old guy looks the same as a 25 years old guy. Really? You can't even find out things about your general by right clicking on his portrait, you have to go to the faction panel, find his name, and then click on him. When selecting new generals/agents you can't even see their age. This is really important in a game, where characters die pretty fast.
    The political system is just plain bad. When i saw the first »political intrigue« trailer for Rome II I got really excited. Total war games were going to be even better than they are. And then i start playing the game and see characters with absolutely no value, no attachment. I couln't care less which random person I pick to lead my armies or to play with politics. The way I see it, it should be about proper dynasties and the internal struggle between them. For example in Crusader Kings II, a rival family does you harm, and the struggle between the two families lasts for decades with loads of events and interesting choices. In Rome 2, this is non-existant. And also, what happened with dillemas they mentioned? I am around 70 turns in my Sparta campaign and I have yet to see one.

This is just basic stuff, I'm not even mentioning the graphical issues and a load of other things, which other users of this forum already mentioned. I'm sure graphical issues will be fixed in a patch and when we get proper AMD drivers. This game COULD be the best 10/10 total war ever, but it just fails at some design choices. And don't even dare to make a character/family DLC, these things should be in the basic game. Don't tell me you don't have the budget for it. Crusader Kings II was made by a couple people and the system there works great. If you can fix a lot of these design choices, then maybe I will consider buying other DLCs, but I somehow doubt that is going to happen.
  • Siven80Siven80 Senior Member Posts: 484Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/78887-Rome-2-Interface-is-uninformative-and-a-downgrade-on-the-near-perfection-of-Shogun-2.

Thats my constructive Criticism mainly about the Interface and how its uninformative and a downgrade from Shogun 2..
  • GladesGlades Junior Member Posts: 10Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    i started my campaign with the arverni. i usually fight every battle by myself, except against small armies that wouldn't stand a chance anyway (no fun). here are my propositions for the future:

BATTLES
    1. the battle progresses way to fast. there's no time for proper managing and careful strategy. as many others said: the battle is over after a few seconds. please decrease the moving speed of the units.

2. make units hold formation. they turn into a big blob of mere chaos after a few seconds of fight.

3. bring formations back! i assumed this would be a main issue for a roman-age settled strategy game. i hoped to see at least the tortoise formation and the square formation against cavalry. i remember that i had a lot of fun defeating incoming cavalry attacks on the flanks with this formation in empire. and since then, i'm missing it :(

4. the battle is unmanageable due to the units melting together. for expample, i couldn't ever find a specific skirmisher unit in this chaotic mess other than clicking trough the cards until i found the right one. Here's a feature wish: the banner of a unit should show the unit type. just make the banner the same as the unit card or so :)

5. please make units able to climb walls again! it's quite annoying when the only way you can breach through a wall is (withouth any ballistics) by destroying the gates!

CAMPAIGN
    1. the UI is somehow confusing. i would prefer for example, if the trees no matter what type (build-tree, tech-tree, a general's/army's ability tree) would be arranged in the same way.

2.the AI is too weak and ways to unagressive. there's basically nothing happening on the map. i liked how in shogun there were some fractions that would eventually even grow stronger than yourself so that you would have to face a real enemy even in the later game. for expample, i expect rome to grow mighty strong quite fast and certainly not to be annexed by some smaller fractions during the first draws.

3. the building tree seems very shallow to me, as there are only two improvements for a barbarian village. i would like to grow it into a suppertown like i could in shogun 2. i basically want to make my hometown the new rome. that would be a great ambition and make the game more exciting.

4. also, i don't quite get the maximum available building slots. sometimes there are four of them, sometimes it's ony three in barbarian village and there's no village expanding option. does that fallow any logic?

5. Why can't you send an army without a general? i find this very annoying, because now i have to recruit a general when i want to send my ballistaes to an army which resides in a province where i can't recruit ballistaes. and this only works if i can recruit a general..

6. AI turns take to long in total. couldn't you just do some of the ai calculation already in the players turn?

that's it. i'm sure one of the CA techs will eventually read our propositions, have some patience guys and we get our great game :)
  • NorsaNorsa Senior Member Posts: 997Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    1: Ai not making armies

2: Ai forcing us to hunt small stacks all game. Especially bad when enemy have no city, and are just running around like a headless chicken. Attacking, routing, attacking, routing over and over. Annoying and no threat, just delete faction armies that dont manage to recapture anything in like 1-2 turns

3: AI not attacking on campaingmap. Its very passive.

4: Battle ai is broken

5: Unit abilities are no fun most of the time. I want the game to be about tactic, not button meshing. And i have to press individual unit cards as the abilities are uniqe

6: Unitcards are not intuitive. Had trouble deciding what type of spearmen i had as sparta. Only real diffrence between them was how high they had drawn the spears on the cards. Higher spear means diffrent unit. I recognice it when i study it but not by glancing. This is a problem ive never had in any totalwar game.

7: Naval is a mess. Where did the "controlling not individual ship but squads" go? They are boring to micro and babysit and most of the time they just become moshpits with no thinking needed whatsoever. The naval zones are to big to. I thought a fleet would be used to defend a sea region? It looks/feels the same as shogun/empire.

8: There is no open field battles due to to short distance between cities (atleast in greece) We run from city to city fighting inside buildings. Even where there are walls its no fun due to how fast doors break. You never need siege equipment as a few torches thrown at the door = winning. Besides the ai never defend with armies anyway so you slaughter militia (Lose 30-40men kill 800) with no damage or morale.

9: Add family tree and reason for ever visiting the page with family members/intrigue. I dont really care for that feature, but if you add it, then make it count for something. Go play some crusaderkings if you want to learn how to do things better.

10: Make game hard.

11: Make AI attack player

12: Make a good game... im so sad!

13: And VERY important! Let me put LOOSE FORMATION!!! Its so lame to watch your army die to slingers even when in testudo (i play multiplayer campaing for the most part. So I can actually lose battles as i play another human. The way its going = skirmishers all the way)

14: Continuation of the above post: Nerf slingers/skirmishers. Atleast against units with big shields

This was the best i could do. Tried really hard not to let emotions cloud my comments, but its so hard :p "Angry angry hippo" ;)
    2%
  • StormblizzardStormblizzard Member Posts: 48Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    not sure if anyone else has said this but just gonna say 1 as i'm busy but "Loose formation" even tho missiles do nothing it seems. still not sure why it got removed.
  • AlchimiAlchimi Member Posts: 78Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Norsa wrote: »
    1: Ai not making armies

3: AI not attacking on campaingmap. Its very passive.
    8: There is no open field battles due to to short distance between cities (atleast in greece) We run from city to city fighting inside buildings. Even where there are walls its no fun due to how fast doors break. You never need siege equipment as a few torches thrown at the door = winning. Besides the ai never defend with armies anyway so you slaughter militia (Lose 30-40men kill 800) with no damage or morale.

9: Add family tree and reason for ever visiting the page with family members/intrigue. I dont really care for that feature, but if you add it, then make it count for something. Go play some crusaderkings if you want to learn how to do things better.

11: Make AI attack player

13: And VERY important! Let me put LOOSE FORMATION!!! Its so lame to watch your army die to slingers even when in testudo (i play multiplayer campaing for the most part. So I can actually lose battles as i play another human. The way its going = skirmishers all the way)

14: Continuation of the above post: Nerf slingers/skirmishers. Atleast against units with big shields
    Big +1 to all that.
    edited September 2013
    Honestly, I haven't found slingers/skirmirshers to do that much damage against my shield units.. though testudo seems pretty useless.
  • jockmcplopjockmcplop Senior Member Posts: 260Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    I would love to see guard mode reintroduced. Maybe i'm just stuck in my TW ways, but after 10 years, can you blame me?
    edited September 2013
    Guard mode seems a no brainer, as does pilum throwing from standing.
  • Tomt90Tomt90 Senior Member Posts: 112Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    - Battles too fast.

- Campaign AI not aggressive enough.

- Unable to see balance of power screen at general selection.

- Flickering, black squares on both battle & campaign map.

- AI routing with 2 or 3 men and just waiting to be replenished before attacking with a single unit again and again.

- AI doesn't make alliances or grow particularly big, the biggest faction I've seen was around 4 or 5 provinces.

- Not sure why but Carthage has been blockading a port for 38 years now and has yet to attack the settlement, or any other settlement for that matter.
  • TalkersTalkers Senior Member Posts: 251Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Suggestion: Make some /1-2/ powerhouses in each region (Played so far Iceni and Gauls and those regions are "dead"). Or make them cooperate (for example when Iceni attacking Gaulia, they should manage at least some kind of confederation maybe?

Kind of create powerhouses like Takeda, Hojo, Ikko Iky, Date etc, who are controling strong factions. The West europe is really weak in this... :(

So far I was in 2 campaigns just picking Gaulia (and in second one firstly Islands) one by one without any threads.

Why?
    1) Stronger competition - the game will be harder - not just picking Islands and Gaulia round by round, nation by nation without serious troubles.
    2) At the end turn we will not have to wait 2(?) minutes for our turn, because it doesnt have to be us, who will destroy small tribes. It doesnt look like long time, but if we dont fight, our turn is the same time and waiting 50% of time is kinda boring.
  • 39Oaktree39Oaktree Junior Member Posts: 18Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    As many people already have pointed out this game needs some serious patching in the battle area. The battle in RTW2 are simply too fast, units die within seconds like insects that get stomped by a giant shoe and are somewhat lame in their movements the jokes of the units are fine but somewhat overdone to such a degree that the battles lose their very dark, silent(until engagement ofcourse) and serious tone.
    Another very annoying feature of the game is that turns and overall unit response is very delayed, i literally spend minutes for each turn to finish and units just to move from one place to another. And this isnt due to a slow PC, its just how the game is.
    The last thing that really enraged me was the historically messed up errors all over the place: ONLY female spy agents even though female agents were, we dont even know if there were any AT ALL, a small tiny minority. Egyptian styled buildings, with drawn hieroglyphs and egyptian men, egyptian obelisks in a ******g place in the middle of europe; namely illyria. which at that time had a northern barbaric somewhat comparable to celtic culture, with influences from the hellenic world. Not a desert culture like egypt there is absolutely no connection between egypt and illyria for goodness sake why did you include Egyptian Obelisks in Illyria its such a horribly stupid mistake. Then we had AFRICAN elephants in GREECE, yes AFRICAN ELEPHANTS. WTF? since when were AFRICAN elephants in GREECE? WHAT ARE THEY DOING THERE PAYING THE ZOO A VISIT? Everybody with half a brain and some historical knowledge knows that greeks bought INDIAN elephants (only for one campaign in italy, the campaign of pyrrhus, that failed badly and the elephants died there too like many men) and only a very small limited ammount of them too.

Overall the battle i could tolerate, the slow delayed turns made me a little angry but the historical mistakes really forced me to quit this game and never touch it and any other such stupified product in the rest of my life. Because lets face it, even though they might fix the battle lenght and cut short the gameturns, they will never ever dare to make a 'politically incorrect' HISTORICAL title where there are no female agents, where men are real warriors and companionship plays a role that is taken seriously.