Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Review from an Anonymous Developer [CA response]

Comments

• cheesytom1cheesytom1 Junior Member Posts: 24Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    OP developed Metro: Last Light

It's confirmed.

Also good post IMO. Thanks OP.
  • NuphoriaNuphoria Junior Member Posts: 15Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    ConorChaos wrote: »
    I don't know whether anyone else feels like this but Rome II feels like it's been developed for console in some ways, really dumbed down. Anyone else feel like this because the idea of my favorite strategy series going the way of the console/dodo terrifies me. Just look at the new implementations.. Like it can all be done on a control pad. I feel like this is obviously SEGAs idea.. CA please get some balls and tell them where to go. Try and get another publisher.

God I hope it isn't true.

http://www.videogamer.com/pc/rome_ii_total_war/news/sega_considering_porting_total_war_and_strategy_line-up_to_ps4_and_xbox_one.html
  • The Great DaneThe Great Dane Senior Member Posts: 107Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    This is THE BEST READ I'VE EVER HAD on any forums - it really, really sums up everything and puts Words to the sadness I feel about waiting for this game for so long and then getting SO chocked, that I'm playing a beta version...

It's many years since I found out, that if I want to enjoy my favorite game, I'll have to put it on the shelf for approx 6 months before it has been patched to a state, where it actually is ready for release/playing.

So out of pure love for you hard working CA guys and girls I really hope, that you involve us more in some sort of beta testing Next time.

Just look at this forum: In one day it floats with a lot of good ideas / missing pieces / bugs / things, even we veterans don't understand in the systems because they're not properly explained/executed.

A lot of this could have made this game epic -- so why on earth not use us BEFORE release?

But again: Brilliant Mr. X!
    Thank you...
  • break99break99 Senior Member Posts: 293Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Good post sir.
    i7 4770k
    GTX 780 3GB
    16GB RAM
    Asus Z87-PRO
    256GB SSD M4
  • trckytrcky Member Posts: 33Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    As a hardcore fan of Total War i have played every game since Shogun 1 and although i have been enjoying this game it does not have the Total War feel the battles are over far to quickly for me as i liked to take my time and plan my moves,this game does not have the tactical feel to it so you never really get that immersion feeling and the capture the flag mechanic completely destroys this game for me. I want to love this game but i know i am getting bored already which is not a good sign the "AI" is terrible at the moment which is really putting me off i understand with games like Total War we have bugs upon release because it is such a big game and i know they will be patched out in future.

The new battle mechanics like capture the circle are not fun because it forces the player to just defend one point which takes out the tactical element so you end up just clumping your forces in one spot which is lame,also the battles are way to fast you never get time to enjoy the animations before you no it it's all over.

I am not going to hate on this game it has Hugh potential i like some of the new ideas i just don't like the arcade feeling of the battles which i am not sure CA will do anything to fix this only the modding community.

"Darth mod" love his work it's just shame that it has come to this from now on i will stay away from all games linked to SEGA because they are destroying the fun in games and making everything console.

I would just like to add i still have some faith in CA and i am sure they will fix what they can..

I almost forgot..........Excellent read and well said.
  • Elkantar1981Elkantar1981 Senior Member Posts: 613Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    As we can see, all the rage in this forum and critics in details show what other devs see and tell CA in the Face.

I call this owned CA Devs by your fanbase.
  • NuphoriaNuphoria Junior Member Posts: 15Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    ConorChaos wrote: »
    I don't know whether anyone else feels like this but Rome II feels like it's been developed for console in some ways, really dumbed down. Anyone else feel like this because the idea of my favorite strategy series going the way of the console/dodo terrifies me. Just look at the new implementations.. Like it can all be done on a control pad. I feel like this is obviously SEGAs idea.. CA please get some balls and tell them where to go. Try and get another publisher.

I unfortunately read on VideoGamer.com that SEGA does indeed want to bring the franchise to XboxOne and PS4. Hope it isn't true.

Tried to post the link but wouldn't let me.
  • MadSamuraiMadSamurai Senior Member Posts: 254Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    This was very interesting read, i agree on everything said.
  • SpitzenhundSpitzenhund Senior Member Posts: 129Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    As a person who has played every total war game since Rome Total war this brings a tear to my eye
    Clan GERUDO
    www.clangerudo.net
  • BengalTigerBengalTiger Senior Member Posts: 492Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Very well articulated OP.

Pay lots of $$$$$$ for your software team to perfect a game vs. pay $0 for mods to perfect it..... Hmmmm.... Tough choice for a large corporate looking to cash cow their acquisition. This is an understandable, though shortsighted and deplorable, corporate incentive. Sega may indeed be tarnishing (cashing in) on the TW name.

BTW, this game, i suspect, on the more complicated side of the strategy gaming spectrum.... Not sure that there are that many mods out there willing to take on the kind of challenge required to make this game go from "slightly above average" to "great". Darth, as an example, said he was not going to touch this one, i believe.

I hope CA devs feel that it is their duty, reputation and honor that is at stake - and that they take a solid crack at improving Groups 2 and 3 identified in the OP, as well.
  • CanOmerCanOmer Senior Member Posts: 296Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    I have read many good posts but this is one of the best of them. Thanks for clarifying the problems. First two will be solved more or less but the third one makes me very sad.
  • El MatadorEl Matador Senior Member Posts: 153Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Nuphoria wrote: »
    I unfortunately read on VideoGamer.com that SEGA does indeed want to bring the franchise to XboxOne and PS4. Hope it isn't true.

Tried to post the link but wouldn't let me.

If this is true (and subsequently why Rome II is so soulless), I'll formally renounce any future support of Sega due to the fact that they essentially spoiled one of my favorite gaming series.
    My Review
    ~*~
    >>2%<<
  • reverie7reverie7 Senior Member Posts: 341Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Why do people like to blame Sega so much when M2 and RTW itself was buggy as hell? Those games didn't have anything to do with Sega. It's a CA tradition to get too ambitious with the game scale and run out of time for polishing. Completely same situation here.

Now, if you were to argue that the DLCs and difficulty for modding is tied up with Sega, maybe you'd have a point since those things did began with Sega iirc.
  • Col. GrizzlyCol. Grizzly Senior Member Posts: 312Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    I wish CA made a post like this. Explaining all this instead of leaving it to another developer.
  • BendakBendak Senior Member Posts: 239Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    El Matador wrote: »
    If this is true (and subsequently why Rome II is so soulless), I'll formally renounce any future support of Sega due to the fact that they essentially spoiled one of my favorite gaming series.

With all the disappointments of this game I wouldn't be surprised at all by this :(
  • ElevinElevin Senior Member Posts: 157Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    I concur!
    I only enjoyed playing Shogun 2 total war after it was modded by the community.
  • JSA24JSA24 Member Posts: 87Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    feels good being a casual gamer :p
  • WillensKraftWillensKraft Senior Member Posts: 337Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Reasonable post OP - I fully agree.

And I really hope that if the playerbase yells load enough it'll wake Sega up and let them realize that it would be too sad to let such a great gaming franchise with sooo many truely awesome games die just to turn it into a zombie like CoD that gets milked each year.
    svehlic25 wrote: »
    And now it near destroyed Rome 2
    IMO, Rome II has been busted. This game needs so many fixes that the patching will - if R2 even gets real long time support unlike the "other abortion" - take atleast 6 months. And after that we still would need community tools to then have modders starting working on core mechanics and if we look at other TW mods, the great things take time.
    To make this short, I doubt we'll have anything worth playing in the next 1.5-2 years called Rome II with a mod that rechanges the arcadish gameplay. So IMO they destroyed it or atleast caused so much damage that the rebuilding time will be enorm to say the least.

That -of course- only counts if CA doesn't changes it by themselves! Because that would be amazing. But I don't think it'll happen. Sadly. Atleast this was my last pre-order of a game and clearly my last launch TW game. Even if they'd announce M******g3TW.
    R2D2 gets upgraded with the Rome II AI
    http://i.imgur.com/kEWNYcF.gif

Disclaimer: the post above is way way pre-alpha, the final version will be way way better than this.
  • jojimbojojimbo Member Posts: 57Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    read every word, initially, once you get over the first part, game crashes and graphics, it does become brazenly apparent of the real failings, 1, the arcade aspect to tax, towns, battles, the victory flag debacle, suicidal ai, no family tree too, lets hope CA listen and sort it out.
  • KingintheSouthKingintheSouth Senior Member Posts: 143Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    I wish CA made a post like this. Explaining all this instead of leaving it to another developer.

This. This right here is absolutely right.

The optimist says the team is too busy working on a patch
    The pessimist says they're on vacation rolling in the dough from the most expensive (and expansive) beta in history
    The gamer in me just sighs, as he shelves this one for a later date.
    "You wouldn't believe how many times I'm misquoted" Julius Caesar, shortly after defeating the Nazis during the Battle of Waterloo, 1975.
  • Stilgar of MundusBellicusStilgar of MundusBellicus Member Posts: 58Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Great post. Although it is true since Empire Total War. And Darthmod is not really much more than a placebo.

An oldman from Relic ?
  • Caesar AugustusCaesar Augustus Member Posts: 82Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Terrific Post
  • NorsaNorsa Senior Member Posts: 997Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    This is the best post i have read so far and i agree 100%, its good to see people talking through this rationally and without to much emotion (i know i struggle with this today) ;)
    2%
  • Centurion84Centurion84 Senior Member Posts: 105Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Great post

Personally it wouldn't really matter so much if it was the first section in particular, sounds like Empire was that way and that is a great game which I've really enjoyed, and it's been really enhanced by mods (loving Darthmod atm)

There are certain mechanics to TW games which gives them their soul and makes it a quintessential TW game, and they have adversely adjusted them which doesen't make this feel like a TW game

There's some things I enjoy but they seem to have strayed from the formula, eg multiple waypoints in large siege battles was a fantastic battle and a natural refining evolution on RTW1, but multiple waypoints on field battles? That is a mechanical issue which fundamentally alters the nature of the game and runs contrary to what makes TW great, which is to say you could make field battles what you wanted

Additionally, the province system is a good idea, the issue is having a situation where people effectively end up Town hopping in effect. Way to fix this is to have siege battles and walls for a province capital, then go Empire TW on the smaller cities where if there wasn't a fort built it would effectively be a field battle amongst city scenery

Simple, sieges for capital, field battle style for provincial cities
  • mechagranmechagran Banned Posts: 136Banned Users
    edited September 2013
    AnnonDev wrote: »
    snip
    I need to be very careful here for obvious reasons but I want to touch on the impact SEGA have here. Firstly I have experience with them, and we decided NOT to work with them/for them. It was clear to us that SEGA's influence, controls, expectations and business model was fundamentally at odds with our philosophies. We knew that if we went down that path we would be contracted to release X amount of games at Y timeline, with Z budget, and we took a long hard look at it and decided that we essentially would not really control the destiny of our games, SEGA would. Also worth noting that we concluded we would not have the time to test our game properly...

I'm not going to comment on SEGA's influence of CA here today but I will ask that the true veterans amongst you that remember what it was like before, and what it was like after and make your own minds up.

I'll check on this post to respond if I can, and will likely see the mix of arrogant fans, ignorant haters, but hopefully some enlightened thinkers.

Anon

I have to take what you say at face value becasue although I am involved in industry and "big business" - see large corporate, I don't know much about the actual development cycle.

Thank you for your insight which is helpful and I hope, not partisan.
    Goodbye
  • tat501tat501 Senior Member Posts: 795Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Excellent post OP. Everything said was correct. All that was not said was WHY CA made the decisions they did regarding number 3. The reason why is because the developers of the game were obviously under pressure from the parent company and the executives (ie. the people who give them the budget) to make the game appeal to a wider audience (and possibly be ported at some point). As such, it was always going to be dumbed down. This is the way strategy games are destined to go it looks like.
  • CloverClover Senior Member Posts: 4,964Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    My mind is blown, that was excellent.
    (\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.
  • KarixKarix Senior Member Posts: 231Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    This was a really good read and even if its not a dev he/she explains their points very good better than all these other complaining customers
  • AnnonDevAnnonDev Senior Member Posts: 144Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    I just want to disagree with this. If I want to play Rome 1, it aged pretty well, it still looks and plays decently. I wanted the changes that Empire and Shogun 2 brought and the changes that Rome 2 brought. Other than the faster paced battles, I don't agree at all that the game was "dumbed" down.

Ones own perception is our reality and you are entitled to your opinion, however I think you're the minority.

The consensus internally with the many Devs I know (and we do play each others games) with a lot of the reviewers privately and many publically, and with countless fans is that it has been dramatically streamlined and simplified.
  • CloverClover Senior Member Posts: 4,964Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    I'm not going to comment on SEGA's influence of CA here today but I will ask that the true veterans amongst you that remember what it was like before, and what it was like after and make your own minds up.

Thank you for saying this, I really needed to be reminded of this. I've been so upset watching my beloved Total War series change into something else that I quite forgot the amazing quality of the past. I can't just give up on a series I've loved since Shogun1 was released. I'm not a fan of R2TW and I didn't like a lot about S2TW, which led me to really question if Total War was still my thing. But this single sentence has had more of an impact than an anvil.
    (\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.
This discussion has been closed.