Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Review from an Anonymous Developer [CA response]

Comments

• MarcquezMarcquez Junior Member Posts: 19Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Respect to the OP!

Gave me a little bit of hope again in developers around the world.
  • zzman305zzman305 Senior Member Posts: 459Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Good read. Its a shame you scared to many of the modders off though.
    Veni Vedi Veci
  • anubis4567anubis4567 Senior Member Posts: 500Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Very good post. I've been beta/alpha testing games for a long time, and you're right. Its pretty obvious the game wasn't tested well.
    "The so called negative feedback is often love in disguise. Take full advantage''
  • platanojodonplatanojodon Senior Member Posts: 145Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    one of the best posts i have read about this, it's really a shame that total war is going down this route, it really pains me to think that total war isn't going to be as great as it used to be. i'm almost positive i'm not the only one who feels this way
  • AnnonDevAnnonDev Senior Member Posts: 144Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    As we can see, all the rage in this forum and critics in details show what other devs see and tell CA in the Face.

I call this owned CA Devs by your fanbase.

Look I'm not talking for anyone but myself, but I would lie if I said that many of us talk to each other, play each others games, etc. I just read the Steam forums and here and saw the rage and comments etc, and just saw CA ignoring them.

The last straw which made me post this was seeing the only CA comment saying that because of the varied system configurations there were some issues. That really annoyed me because its entirely false.

As I grouped the broad issues all they have done is respond to the first group which most people forgive, but have entirely ignored the 2 most important issue groups...
    edited September 2013
    Nuphoria wrote: »
    I unfortunately read on VideoGamer.com that SEGA does indeed want to bring the franchise to XboxOne and PS4. Hope it isn't true.

Tried to post the link but wouldn't let me.

I don't know about the link and haven't seen anything official, however the signs are there. Streamline, reduce complexity, get your engine working, upgrade the visuals, streamline the GUI and.....

If I were to guess, I'd guess console yes.
    edited September 2013
    Very well articulated OP.

Pay lots of $$$$$$ for your software team to perfect a game vs. pay $0 for mods to perfect it..... Hmmmm.... Tough choice for a large corporate looking to cash cow their acquisition. This is an understandable, though shortsighted and deplorable, corporate incentive. Sega may indeed be tarnishing (cashing in) on the TW name.

BTW, this game, i suspect, on the more complicated side of the strategy gaming spectrum.... Not sure that there are that many mods out there willing to take on the kind of challenge required to make this game go from "slightly above average" to "great". Darth, as an example, said he was not going to touch this one, i believe.

I hope CA devs feel that it is their duty, reputation and honor that is at stake - and that they take a solid crack at improving Groups 2 and 3 identified in the OP, as well.

Where did you read that Darth wouldn't touch this? If that's the case.....that changes everything. Remember he somewhat saved Empire...Remember vanilla Empire even final patch?
  • EmperorMaximusEmperorMaximus Junior Member Posts: 27Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Thank you for a great post, sir.

I agree with everything you said wholeheartedly. My own post reflecting the same views was relegated to the the "Rant" section. I hope yours isn't.

Incidentally, don't you just hate how some dumb and ignorant people continue to defend the game, accusing us detractors as "cry babies", while failing to provide even one thoughtful, thorough post specifying how and why we are wrong?

I particularly hate those people who in light of everything that has happened continue to defend CA's decision not to release a demo. And don't get me started on the relativists--those who say that it's all a matter of opinion, as if evaluating a video game was beyond our analytic capacity as a human race.
  • El MatadorEl Matador Senior Member Posts: 153Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    AnnonDev wrote: »
    I don't know about the link and haven't seen anything official, however the signs are there. Streamline, reduce complexity, get your engine working, upgrade the visuals, streamline the GUI and.....

If I were to guess, I'd guess console yes.

You know, thinking about it...

Fine, make a Total War game for consoles, Sega. You have my blessing.

But please, please take a page from the Civilization series. CivRevolution? Perfectly acceptable console variation of the franchise. The main series? It remained untainted on the PC format.

Total War, the main incarnation, is a strongly PC series. Leave it alone.
    My Review
    ~*~
    >>2%<<
  • bshambsham Senior Member Posts: 405Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    The developer is from the Company of Heroes 2 team I bet
    Quote of the Decade

"It doesn't matter how pretty your game looks, or how many players you have on screen, if the frame-rate continually drops, it knocks the player out of the experience and back to the real world, ultimately driving them away from your game if it persists." - Eurogamer
    edited September 2013
    Where did you read that Darth wouldn't touch this? If that's the case.....that changes everything. Remember he somewhat saved Empire...Remember vanilla Empire even final patch?

here you go:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?607309-My-final-retirement-message
  • UltimaratioUltimaratio Senior Member Posts: 219Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    100% agreed, excellent post. It is also a sad day for me not only for CA. I have a copy right here on my desk and i decided not to install it and saving my money byreturning it. This makes my old TW heart bleed as Rome 2 was THE title i waited for. But out of the threads and previews i read i am not prepared to go this arcade way of gaming you have choosen especially as you act against a major part of the community.

Anyway best regards,
    "The spirit of Germania is the spirit of freedom" - Hegel
    Involuntary Rome 2 fullpriced Beta Tester
    The mysterious button of Rome 2 Where is it gone?:
    http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/90973-CA-Have-you-seen-this-button
  • SoldatSoldat Member Posts: 51Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Pinned the tail on the donkey!!!!!!!!!!! Finally someone with a thread of what I was trying to tell people its not a real Total War game. They lost the series CA needs to fix the mechanics not modders
    "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you". --- Friedrich Nietzsche
    edited September 2013
    This. This right here is absolutely right.

The optimist says the team is too busy working on a patch
    The pessimist says they're on vacation rolling in the dough from the most expensive (and expansive) beta in history
    The gamer in me just sighs, as he shelves this one for a later date.

Trish will be reading this. Without a doubt.
  • Centurion84Centurion84 Senior Member Posts: 105Registered Users
    edited September 2013

Said something on the TWcenter.net forums about "retiring" and he is working on his own game

Couldn't have come at a worst possible time because the TW fans need him more than ever to fix what should have been the most epic game of all time (for me, never have I looked forward to a game so much but it's clear to me after just 8 hours that while it's enjoyable and has some great ideas it hasn't quite got the formula of what made TW games great)
  • ThundersnowThundersnow Member Posts: 41Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    I'm thinking the dev is from SHogun 2.
    I do Art Commissions. Click my Profile to contact me. :D
  • CloverClover Senior Member Posts: 4,964Registered Users
    edited September 2013

I don't know anything first hand, but I do remember a rumor being circulated that Darth quite modding Total War because he wasn't invited to the modding conference/summit. Whether or not it's true I don't know, but it was an issue a few months ago.
    (\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.
    edited September 2013

here you go:
    www . twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?607309-My-final-retirement-message
  • BadvocBadvoc Junior Member Posts: 19Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Thank you OP, I think you are spot on and CA really need to read and then digest this information.

Can modders even save this version? I would have been happy with a reskinned Rome 1.
    edited September 2013
    mechagran wrote: »
    I have to take what you say at face value becasue although I am involved in industry and "big business" - see large corporate, I don't know much about the actual development cycle.

Thank you for your insight which is helpful and I hope, not partisan.

PM me and perhaps we can talk, it is most certainly partisan. I'm not in the same area, the same league and no competition at all. As I said this post is my opinion as a paying customer, but with the professional experience and knowledge to back them up.

If I didn't post how I posted it, I think it would have been drowned out in all the noise.

This has the attention it needs...
  • MrKaupoMrKaupo Senior Member Posts: 237Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    I will sum up -
    1.most of graphical and UI engineers should be fired after they fix this sh** and shogun team ones hired.

2. Battle programmer or whoever came up wit that flag idea in open battles=FIRED
  • CloverClover Senior Member Posts: 4,964Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Marcquez wrote: »
    here you go:

Aw hell, that's depressing.

Edit I can say hell, but ****ins is bleeped? What kind of world is this? I eat a ****in every morning for goodness sake. It's just a breakfast food!
    (\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.
  • NuphoriaNuphoria Junior Member Posts: 15Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    El Matador wrote: »
    You know, thinking about it...

Fine, make a Total War game for consoles, Sega. You have my blessing.

But please, please take a page from the Civilization series. CivRevolution? Perfectly acceptable console variation of the franchise. The main series? It remained untainted on the PC format.

Total War, the main incarnation, is a strongly PC series. Leave it alone.

This pretty much sums up how I feel about it. Making a console version is fine as long as you don't sacrifice the PC version. Though the dumbing down suggests that they might be aiming for parity between the two versions, which for me is an utter tragedy. Time will tell I guess.
  • RayeRaye Senior Member Posts: 233Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Absolutely fantastic post. The more insight the fanbase has the better. Hopefully enough longtime Total War fans will rally together and let it be known that we don't want an arcade game, we want Total War.

Thank you for your contribution!
    edited September 2013
    zzman305 wrote: »
    Good read. Its a shame you scared to many of the modders off though.

CA should hire DarthMod, he would significantly add some value.

Does anyone know Darth or where to find him? I'll ask around but it would be terrible if he didn't fix this.
  • MacklesMackles Senior Member UKPosts: 5,464Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    CA should hire DarthMod, he would significantly add some value.

Does anyone know Darth or where to find him? I'll ask around but it would be terrible if he didn't fix this.

Darth had an interview with CA before, but didn't get it. He isn't the only modder out there though.
    "Conquer, Punish, Enslave" - Words for the would-be Imperialists to live by!

Somewhere on that hill, its gonna get bloody contradictory between us and them real fast. - Anon
  • theedge634theedge634 Senior Member Posts: 1,602Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Marcquez wrote: »
    here you go:

Could be the death of yet another great gaming company....

- Remember Bungie before Halo..... The Myth series was beyond brilliant.

- Remember Relic.... Dawn of War, COH, even the slightly dissapointing DOW2

And now even Creative Assembly, they have all turned their backs on us it seems... CA still has a shot, a longshot to save our faith... But will Sega allow them to spend the time, money and effort needed to fix this game.. Or will they be forced to move on to the next project before then?

Before we know it companies like Paradox will be bought out by EA and forced into shallow and uninspired games as well.
    edited September 2013
    anubis4567 wrote: »
    Very good post. I've been beta/alpha testing games for a long time, and you're right. Its pretty obvious the game wasn't tested well.

Good man, we need more devs, and more testers here saying the same thing.
  • BongologistBongologist Member Posts: 91Registered Users
    edited September 2013

I'm not going to comment on SEGA's influence of CA here today but I will ask that the true veterans amongst you that remember what it was like before, and what it was like after and make your own minds up.

Anon

This happens way too much in decent games, I've seen it happen to one of my favourite strategy games before (Supreme Commander + Forged Alliance) Square Enix bought them out and the second game was an arcade click fest, this is the worst feeling a gamer can have when suddenly all that he loved about a game for years is taken away and replaced so a kid can play it and make the company more money.

I have to say though I didn't think it was going to happen with CA, and luckily it hasn't been as bad (for me) as the situation I mentioned above, I just hope the direction changes or it will be too much dumbed down arcade style for me to enjoy any more.

Good post by the way, very informative.
    ~ Intel i5-2500 3.30 Ghz - Nvidia GTX 570 2GB VRAM - 8GB DDR3 - Windows 7 64bit ~
  • Wittman23Wittman23 Senior Member Posts: 174Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Mackles wrote: »
    Darth had an interview with CA before, but didn't get it. He isn't the only modder out there though.
    Jack Lusted got the job instead of him,or so iv heard
This discussion has been closed.