Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Review from an Anonymous Developer [CA response]

1313233343537»

Comments

• WillensKraftWillensKraft Senior Member Posts: 337Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Paradox have a good system where you have to register the game to access certain areas of the forums and the give you a badge next to your name to prove you are a customer. I would definitely recommend CA use a similar system.
    oh look... are you claiming nobody here owns the game?

Alot of fans got ****ed with rome and now they want to make sure it gets fixed. How's that. It's not like this game is worth a 100/100 score (probs to the reviewer, he clearly enjoys his new car) and we all are just bots from some no-liver in a basement who is angry that the romans wear sandals.
    R2D2 gets upgraded with the Rome II AI
    http://i.imgur.com/kEWNYcF.gif

Disclaimer: the post above is way way pre-alpha, the final version will be way way better than this.
  • Darth SalatDarth Salat Junior Member Posts: 19Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    AnnonDev wrote: »
    I must admit it has taken me aback at some of the people on here that come back and say the game is wonderful, you're making it up, attack the OP, etc.

One thing I'd like to say is that its commendable that CA haven't closed this thread even when people have tried to derail it. It hasn't shown things in a good light and now its in the press, but I need to praise CA for letting it stand.

I do think they know whats wrong, and I do think they will try to fix it.

And I do think they give two ****es about you and your opinion...they're probably just going to do their job and fix what's necessary.
  • AnnonDevAnnonDev Senior Member Posts: 144Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    So a professional game developer of "recently released" military games spends his weekends in game forums? Professional opinion my ***...you're just a troll.

In case you haven't realized, I've been on this forum for the last two days lol

I'm sitting here with my boy asleep next to me and my wife watching wife swap....here is better trust me LOL
  • NorsaNorsa Senior Member Posts: 997Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Yeah, OP is a game developer...and I'm the Caesar of China. Why people always fall on argument amplifiers like this is over my head. I don't know which game you've played, but so far the only feature they dumbed was the family tree. They even put features in from Europa Barbarorum that weren't part of the Vanilla RTW...but well, the game developer knows it better...:)

So, its not a dumbed down feature that your land army, can now run into the ocean and kill the enemy navy sieging your port? :p

Magic flag to controll where we fight is not dumbed down? (We dont belive you are able to march your army and fight, so we will give you a magic waypoint. Fight here)

Being able to win every battle by just moshpit your army toward the enemy and then hit abilities is not dumbed down?

Making the map into corridors, with almost only city battles is not dumbed down?

City managment/provinces is not a step back? I take almost no pleasure in building cities anymore.

The legion leveling system is dumbed down from what i expected from the hype. General level is a joke as they die from old age due to 1year per turn. You can get a maxed out siege army, that NEVER ever went on a siege. (You just specc them as you wish regardless of how you use them)

Forced march = Being able to defend even when your are far away, and being able to bypass enemy armies (if there are any) and just headshot the capital next turn is not a dumbed down feature? I dont have to plan anything, just run from city to city (when playing in greece/roman territory. Havent been to egypt/barbarian lands yet)

And this is not even mentioning other aspects of the game, like horrible bugs/instability or poor and boring design decisions

I could go on and on, but i get to angry! And i dont want to go into complete rantmode :P
    2%
  • Darth SalatDarth Salat Junior Member Posts: 19Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Drowsy wrote: »
    Who said what is irrelevant. Instead listen to what is being said.

Why should I listen to a minority that stacks false claims if I can just make my own opinion...which is conform with the majority of end users. It's always the same with every new game released. *****es come out of their holes and spit on the new release just because they can't afford the will or money to get a decent rig...this is where your bug is hidden...inside your own incompetence.
  • originalmeuslioriginalmeusli Senior Member Posts: 378Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    oh look... are you claiming nobody here owns the game?

Alot of fans got ****ed with rome and now they want to make sure they fix it. Hows that.

Are you saying the world is full of normal well adjusted people? People see the game has problems on forums and come over here and join the fun.
    edited September 2013
    And I do think they give two ****es about you and your opinion...they're probably just going to do their job and fix what's necessary.

Oh Darth...If you had been on here more recently than the last 10mins you'd have an informed opinion.

But thanks for your support on the thread, and for your opinion
  • rpgfanbaserpgfanbase Senior Member Posts: 104Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Too much testosterone in this forum. Don't see how that is going to help CA fix the game.
    On a side note I find it interesting how some people are reporting down right broken gameplay while others are saying it's the best ever. Like A.I performing so badly and never getting attacked or army compositions where as other are not having these problems. Surely if it was "broken" it wouldn't work for EVERYBODY right? Not that I know what the solution is just seems strange that the game does what it's supposed to do for some but not others almost as if one person was given the alpha another the beta and another a final release. Never heard of this happening before. ( gameplay features not graphical performance)
  • Nuahs_Nuahs_ Member Posts: 77Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    He said

Well I have read a lot of complaints and he is saying he has experienced every single one, which seems unlucky. I have issues with the battle speeds and silly abilities, which will be whipped out by mods. Mods I tend to use are realism ones that get rid of fantasy stuff, CA have always done this though so why is everyone upset about it now?

Battle and campaign AI have been better than most of their games for me, although I did not play much Shogun 2 because of it strong rock paper scissors game play and spawning armies behind FOW. Although the presentation was higher, I admit.

No it's nothing about being lucky.

I'm not talking about technical issues, for the record my game runs almost perfectly (although the graphics seem less than what I expected and stutters at times on my high-end rig).

I'm talking about GAMEPLAY issues and it's not hard to encounter these when you play the game.

I'm talking about all the poorly implemented content, how battles look bad, Magical and un-necessary abilities, battle speed, sieges were poorly designed (1 equipment per turn? Really? Torches bringing down gates? Guess I don't need a battering ram, I got torches!) and the AI being terrible.

And everything else like customisation being poorly designed too (and how I stop caring and lose track of my generals because it doesn't matter) and Legendary being so un-challenging it's actually past the point of tedious. Like AI armies which outnumber me fleeing from their last remaining settlement allowing me to take it without any losses and then making suicide attacks to take it back (how they just all try to push past to the flag and get slaughtered)

Shogun 2 had a fantastic campaign AI and while Shogun 2's battle AI wasn't good it was still the best in the series.

Rome 2's battle AND campaign AI has taken many glorious steps backwards.

I don't want to seem insulting but if you find the AI challenging then that's really quite something. If you're going to take that as a personal insult it's up to you but it doesn't make me any less true. But it takes me less effort to win a Rome 2 battle than any past game in the series.
    edited September 2013
    Why should I listen to a minority that stacks false claims if I can just make my own opinion...which is conform with the majority of end users. It's always the same with every new game released. *****es come out of their holes and spit on the new release just because they can't afford the will or money to get a decent rig...this is where your bug is hidden...inside your own incompetence.

Minority?

100k views, 100 pages, 1000 posts and the majority of which support the OP. Press articles about this post in addition...

I don't think its a minority my friend, we think you are...
  • TheChocolateJesusTheChocolateJesus Senior Member Posts: 1,418Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    rockmassif wrote: »
    Just accept the fact that you've done a poor job...
    I've been waiting for a good TW game since M2TW, even though I didn't play much I still bought every game you've released so far. But no more, after seeing this poor launch of Rome 2, I'm done with TW series. Thanks for joining the Dark Side, CA!
    To hint that there is no good TW game after Medieval 2 is pure blasphemy. Napoleon Total War and Shogun 2 are great games. And I am sure Rome 2 will be fixed at some point aswell. But to suggest that there hasn't been a good TW after M2 is just ****..Sorry.
    It's gotta be a Chocolate Jesus to keep me satisfied.
  • WillensKraftWillensKraft Senior Member Posts: 337Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    You have appointed yourself a forum police officer now, my how the head swells.
    He just makes sure this thread doesn't gets locked because someone can't follow the rules.
    R2D2 gets upgraded with the Rome II AI
    http://i.imgur.com/kEWNYcF.gif

Disclaimer: the post above is way way pre-alpha, the final version will be way way better than this.
    edited September 2013
    He just makes sure this thread doesn't gets locked because someone can't follow the rules.

Yeah sure, that's what it is. Craig called him out pretty spot on and early.
  • El Monstero29El Monstero29 Senior Member Posts: 540Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    rpgfanbase wrote: »
    Too much testosterone in this forum. Don't see how that is going to help CA fix the game.
    On a side not I find it interesting how some people are reporting down right broken gameplay while others are saying it's the best ever. Like A.I performing so badly and never getting attacked or army compositions where as other are not having these problems. Surely if it was "broken" it wouldn't work for EVERYBODY right? Not that I know what the solution is just seems strange that the game does what it's supposed to do for some but not others almost as if one person was given the alpha another the beta and another a final release. Never heard of this happening before. ( gameplay features not graphical performance)

Yep, this is such a mess.....reading CA's responses on this forum add to the foreboding feeling in my stomach.....

I think it really will be up the modding community to salvage this one.....

When I read CA's "apology" I thought of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u0EL_u4nvw
    "I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve" - Bilbo Baggins
    edited September 2013
    You have appointed yourself a forum police officer now, my how the head swells.

Nope just ensuring you don't get this thread closed down, and if you had read previously the Mod has already warned that he will ban specific posters who insult and flame...so I'm just ensuring the future of the thread, and your lack of ability to insult more people in it.

Sorted?
    edited September 2013
    Also good luck getting a job in the industry after this, no one in their right mind would take you on.

....darn If only I didn't tell everyone who I was....
  • TheChocolateJesusTheChocolateJesus Senior Member Posts: 1,418Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Moderator: This is an insult directed from a specific poster only. Please take action against him specifically not this thread. We do not condone or support his comments.
    How about you start working on your games instead of laying some much focus on somebody else's game? A very very unprofessional move on your side. You maybe correct on some points but fighting people on this forum isn't getting Rome II further nor your own games. OH and...pro tip: You better stay anonymous.
    It's gotta be a Chocolate Jesus to keep me satisfied.
  • MindcrabMindcrab Member Posts: 51Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Battle and campaign AI is worst to be honest of TTW games

I get sad every time I see the enemy attack me to sucide their general into a garrison (I think this is the main reason for it, they don't count garrison) but also times when they very underwhelmed so I dont know

the Ai is very passive, only as parthia I have played with aggresive Ai, but they only aggresive against each other. when it was "my turn" to fight they send 1 big army and they wiped out and do nothing

combat Ai is the stupide ai retreat at charge or stuck in roman village ampitheater (hate that smallest rome village map by the sea as there is so many things that make them get stuck)

sadly this game is much more rock papser scissor than shogun 2 with "archer-heavy infantery-berserkers" because there is no reason to use anything else

cavelery is weak even as parthia because of map designs and defensive formation for every **** melee unit that even swordman eats them, and heavy infantery are quite fast in this game so flanking is harder and open field is rare.

what I miss in this game is the "wild cards units"
  • ArchaicWarriorArchaicWarrior Senior Member Posts: 1,217Registered Users
    edited September 2013

It is my professional opinion that CA have taken what was an immersive, detailed, tactical, and market leading series and have turned it into a better looking but fundamentally simplified and dumbed down version of its formal self. They have seriously damaged the tactical element to this game, taken out tried and tested elements and have replaced them with arcade elements.

Totally agree, strategic game is light weight, minimalist and obtuse .. and totally NOn-historical - SEGA!!! I've abandened it for single battles. Strangley CIV5 has more addictive game play than Rome 2, obviosuly it wasn't tested for the fun factor.

SEGA, IF YOU THINK YOU'RE GETTNG MORE MONEY OUT OF ME .. FORGET IT! I'll wait for after release evaluation nect time.

*** The senate is now a basic Rev counter .. WOW! that's deep. ***

• PhalangitePhalangite Senior Member Posts: 383Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    rpgfanbase wrote: »
    On a side note I find it interesting how some people are reporting down right broken gameplay while others are saying it's the best ever. Like A.I performing so badly and never getting attacked or army compositions where as other are not having these problems. Surely if it was "broken" it wouldn't work for EVERYBODY right? Not that I know what the solution is just seems strange that the game does what it's supposed to do for some but not others almost as if one person was given the alpha another the beta and another a final release. Never heard of this happening before. ( gameplay features not graphical performance)

Those are fanboys to prideful and arrogant to see the issues staring back at them.
  • Siven80Siven80 Senior Member Posts: 484Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Dont resort to insult and flaming folks.

We all love the TW series and want to love this game, but it does have problems and pointing them out and leaving constructive criticism for the devs to read and hopefully react to and fix is what we need to do.
    edited September 2013
    ....darn If only I didn't tell everyone who I was....

You already mention CA employees have checked your LinkedIn profile, don't you think they talk to other companies?
  • MindcrabMindcrab Member Posts: 51Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Siven80 wrote: »
    Dont resort to insult and flaming folks.

We all love the TW series and want to love this game, but it does have problems and pointing them out and leaving constructive criticism for the devs to read and hopefully react to and fix is what we need to do.

to be honest I think the devs is more than aware but it is the time to fix it and manpower that is the enemy
  • SoldatSoldat Member Posts: 51Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Yep, this is such a mess.....reading CA's responses on this forum add to the foreboding feeling in my stomach.....

I think it really will be up the modding community to salvage this one.....

When I read CA's "apology" I thought of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u0EL_u4nvw
    +1 good sir lol were sorry
    "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you". --- Friedrich Nietzsche
    edited September 2013
    How about you start working on your games instead of laying some much focus on somebody else's game? A very very unprofessional move on your side. You maybe correct on some points but fighting people on this forum isn't getting Rome II further nor your own games. OH and...pro tip: You better stay anonymous.

My work is done on our game, and it was received well. Perhaps you played it?

I am a paying customer and have a right just as you do to post my opinions, and my opinions from an industry perspective.

Thank you for your comment.
  • GrumpyTheGreatGrumpyTheGreat Senior Member Posts: 268Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    The game needs fixing, and we're told they're doing what they can. Yes it should have been much better on release, but we'll have to wait for this, so just wait and stop bickering.
    And constantly carrying on about how many pages are in the thread along with the quantity of post is pathetic, more so because 80% of it is just insults and carrying on, blowing ones trumpet and flaming others!
    They get the hint, game is currently broken, they'll try to fix it in good time.
    Purpose of thread achieved, mod should now lock it!
  • SasuSasu Moderator FinlandPosts: 8,876Registered Users, Moderators
    edited September 2013
    This thread is accumulating an overwhelming amount of reports and requests for the moderating team atm. I'll have to close it for now and it will be opened if the Forum staff deems it necessary. At the moment it seems to have ran it's course and offered all its potential value. We would not like to see it degenerate to a power-trip or "troll-fest" of any kind.

As known to all, the moderating team consists of community volunteers only. Forum owner may open the thread without consultation.

Sasu
This discussion has been closed.