Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Review from an Anonymous Developer [CA response]

Comments

• MasariusMasarius Senior Member Posts: 612Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    What can i say except +1
    Till shade is gone,
    till water is gone,
    into the Shadow with the teeth bared,
    screaming defiance with the last breath,
    to spit into Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day
  • De MolayDe Molay Senior Member Posts: 349Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Yep , i really wish the OP was wrong , but every single of his point is absolutely spot-on to be honest :/
  • burtda11burtda11 Junior Member Posts: 18Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Agree with all the points brought up
  • jupstojupsto Senior Member Posts: 327Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Can only build 4-6 types of buildings in your city?

have you actually played this game? even if talking about one settlement this is not the case, but province vs province of previous games the difference is ridiculously in favour of rome2.

didn't think this thread raised any points many others haven't already and it felt extremely pretentious.
  • DeakenDeaken Junior Member Posts: 26Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Pretentious? Did the OP hurt your feelings by criticizing your precious game?

The OP was just stating his opinions which as a paying customer he has every right to. There are also many among us that agree with nearly all his points.
  • scfs123scfs123 Senior Member Posts: 974Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    AnnonDev wrote: »
    Thank you, have you noticed that we are 8 pages in and so far there haven't been any fanboys here...perhaps the facts put in the way I have has driven them away.

Also notice that this hasn't been moved yet, a good sign from CA so far.

A post from Trish would be a helpful sign.
    Hey now, all of us are total war fanboys, thats why we are here.
    They have a great game, just needs some patchin and we all know its gonna have killer campaign expansions to it even if they can't fix the original campaign to the level we want.
  • TheImperfectTheImperfect Senior Member Posts: 170Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    The game...it's beyond modder's capacity to save it. It's a loss basically, and so sad that it should happen to my favourite historical era. The flaws are an integral part of gameplay and a remake is what it needs. A complete overhaul. But all that aside, some liked it so I'll focus on mainly the issues raised in the post. Releasing a game at full price in the state that this is in is unacceptable, I like many feel cheated that such a thing happen with no explanation The game was not ready. FACT. SEGA are a hugely important factor definitely. The game would have been half decent had SEGA not pushed a bugged game out the door in no fit state for the sake of a deadline. Wise to keep clear of them. Rome 2 had virtually none of the political intrigue and choice oriented geplay that was promised. Just playing it you can tell that it was hastily stapled together and half the budget went to marketing. Stick an eagle on the front and they hope the plebs will be pleased. No, sorry CA but Total War is finished.
  • PilluminusPilluminus Member Posts: 30Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Having played dozens hours of the game I have come upon a multitude of issues/bugs which clearly support the OP's analysis. In it's current state I'm having trouble enjoying the game although I'm a huge fan of CA's precedent releases. Let's just hope we can come back to this game in a few months to finally enjoy the game we were all waiting for (thanks to patches and mods) and get over this mediocre first impression/release.
  • welshywelshy Member Posts: 53Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    I thought Darth had quit modding? But that aside this review sums up alot, not everything but alot and CA really should read some of these reviews.
  • theedge634theedge634 Senior Member Posts: 1,768Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    The one thing that I just can't seem to understand... is the direction they took the game. I mean certain series are RENOWNED for what they are.

The Total War series is renowned for being an mix of a shallower civilization-type empire building game with epic and (somewhat) realistic tactical battles. How did they get soo far off course to where their original 40 minute tactical battles are 5 minute blobs.

I don't mind if they want to do games like these... I mean to be honest this would be an almost PERFECT system for a Warhammer game, almost everything about it screams Fantasy Warhammer... the ablities, the mob fighting, the speed and brutality of battles. This just isn't worthy of the Total War name in it's historical setting, the styling is completely wrong.

I've said in a previous post, that CA should look at Turn-10 Studios and see the proper way to branch off from your bread and butter games. Turn-10 makes the famed Forza Motorsport, a wonderful racing simulation game, but their last game was Forza Horizons, a game which is geared towards the casual gamer and is marketed as such, while still carrying the weight of the Forza brand behind it.
  • FuturebotFuturebot Junior Member Posts: 22Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Excellent post, thankyou very much for the insight!
  • db_zerodb_zero Junior Member Posts: 25Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    To be fair we don't really know what took place behind the scenes. All we know is what's in front of us-a half baked game. The designers and QA may not be the ones responsible for the release and I could easily see a situation where they knew and felt it needed more time, but upper management demanded and ordered the game released to appease other forces at work.

You don't something for nothing and a 40% increase in budget means investors will sooner rather than later demand to see a return on investment.

SEGA is a corporation and anyone who's been around a corporation knows how things can often work. The CEO's, CFOs get paid well regardless of their decisions and they have an agenda that is completely different than the grunts who do the work. Don't expect the truth to come out, because the way corporate politics work you don't say anything that rocks the boat. That is not only dangerous to your employment at your current employer, but also follows you around so there is strong incentive to tow the line.

They may very well knew what they were doing and the "patch a week" strategy seems like it was thought out well before Sept 3.

We're not privy to the balance sheets, but I suspect if they were the money trail would tell the story of why things was done the way they were.
  • scotty1cosmosscotty1cosmos Junior Member Posts: 8Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    good review, I will not buy another TW game again unless it has been reviewed properly after release, all the TW fans need to stick together and not pre buy games but I don't think everyone will do that, I hate the game, I don't think it will ever be fixed properly, I am no expert like the original post but my common sense tells me that there is so so so much wrong with this game that if you change 1 thing another 2 issues will pop up and so on and its time to realize that we have a lemon here. to much time with marketing and touring the uk and states and not enough time grafting in the office pushing the game to the max, they get what they deserve and it will not be fixed correctly, I said after shogun 2 that I thought that this is the start of the end and I rest my case, head will roll in the offices at C.A., I don't even like there response to the issues, all they went on abt were little glitches and performance issues, the game is totally broken, it does not work. the first day I hated it because the prologe was a disaster so I puckered up on day 2 and started again and liked it for a while but today when I got deep into the game on 50 to 60 turns, well, its a disaster and a disgrace, the gameplay is terrible, look at the unit cards on the main interface compared to shogun 2 where the cards were slightly animated, nothing like that here, simple and dull, hardly any buildings to build, no video clips like in rome 1, cant split up armys which is stupid considering the map is huge, I played as Egypt with abt 15 regions and I had 6 armys, how the hell am I supposed to get land and really I only had 5 armys because I had to leave 1 at my capital Alexandria or I would be toast, that is just a few issues from the top of my head and they are more, many more, my main issue really is that C.A. will not accept what we are saying really there respons proves that so if that is to stay the case then how are they to fix it if they aint listening, they are serious issues at C.A. that I will call grass roots and a patch is just wishful thinking really, the team is a joke, the game is a joke, there attitude towards it is a joke, the game is a lemon, plain and simple, sorry to go on, pre sales, aye right, lol.
  • mustachewarfaremustachewarfare Senior Member Posts: 1,092Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    scfs123 wrote: »
    Wargame airland battle?
    i want pause and order feature. the only thing that is holding me from buying that game
  • scotty1cosmosscotty1cosmos Junior Member Posts: 8Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    C.A. Need to take a look at Bethesda, they could have got fallout 4 out in some shape of form this yr if they really wanted to but did they, no they did not because they had the savy to wait as to avoid **** like this, mark my words, fallout 4 next October will be one of the best games ever made and Bethesda as far as I am conserned are one if not the best game makers around. a game is like a frozen chicken, it takes time to cook, C.A. ohh dear !
  • DrunkFlamingoDrunkFlamingo Senior Member Posts: 234Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    You see, I don't mind complaint threads when they are constructive like this
  • Daemonprince14Daemonprince14 Senior Member Posts: 326Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Just wanted to show supportfor this thread and the main post. Very well written and i agree with it whole heartedly.
  • LusiadLusiad Member Posts: 31Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Has there been any feedback from CA yet?ive been trying to keep an eye on anything they may be looking at addressing after watching the various threads in this forum.
  • ishleagueishleague Senior Member Posts: 198Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Lusiad wrote: »
    Has there been any feedback from CA yet?ive been trying to keep an eye on anything they may be looking at addressing after watching the various threads in this forum.

Just general feedback indicating they have seen all these comments and are working on it. Generally they have specified two focus areas: (1) game stability (2) game improvements. Still very, very, very general, as one might expect three days into a title

However the patch notes are out for beta:

http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/81552-Contents-of-September-6th-Patch/page2
  • ACWMANEACWMANE Senior Member Posts: 790Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    This post needs to be a sticky. It is a very fair, even-handed, PROFESSIONAL assessment of the job C.A. did in making Rome2. The post isn't bashing them, but it is an even-handed, no-bs assessment of what they've done.
    Ready for Rome 2, baby!:
    1. I5-2500k
    2. 24 GB RAM
    3. GTX 780
    4. 750 Watt PSU
  • WolarWolar Junior Member Posts: 23Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    A highly intelligent review, thanks for posting!
  • Marengo ChutneyMarengo Chutney Senior Member Posts: 447Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    LOL nothing here that we don't know just stating the obvious. Modders will turn out a more acceptable version to the Grognards the majority will be happy with the Vanilla. The Dark Lord Sega are up to nefarious stuff in the background you know making money shock horror. The assorted technical glitches from the usual suspects who don't have adequate rigs to play space invaders will continue. Its simple up to date machines clean of all the crud accumulated from hours of internet use without security a good and recent graphics card with up to date drivers, sufficient RAM Pentium CPU so you thought you were saving money on AMD well serves you right. The game has worked like a dream on my machine and it is not a state of the art gaming rig. I have no complaints and nothing but praise for the game. The things you see in this forum make my eyes bleed complaints like where is the family tree well Rome is a republic the family tree's were based on the anachronistic use of only three houses in Rome 1 when there were many. And some of them irrelevant Pompei started his career as a mere plebian. The description of the Rome 1 as a accurate historical battle simulator actually made me laugh out loud for real. Back to Rome 2 got love it. Any insults in responses FU.
  • gualtygualty Junior Member Posts: 11Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Very interesting and worth read.
    I would like to reaad more ;)
  • fieldbakerfieldbaker Member Posts: 37Registered Users
    edited September 2013
  • LestaTLestaT Senior Member Posts: 3,278Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Excelent post but for me personally I do not want to play Rome II as only an update for Rome I. I have those in the form of mods and have modded some myself.

I always treated all Total War games as a new game on it's own and not bother with the 2 or II tag behind it. I am enjoying Rome II on it's own, as if Shogun 1 until Shogun 2 Fall of the Samurai never existed.

Luckily my rig does not cause me any problem (yet). If Rome II is just an update of Rome I like the game the OP developed then maybe I will not play it as I'm sure I have never played the game OP developed.
  • SukulakuSukulaku Senior Member Posts: 110Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Very nice read. I hope some of the worse design choices are improved such as the battles, magic buttons, family trees etc.
  • KrossKross Senior Member Posts: 1,187Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    1. Community system diversity
    Symptoms: Bugs/glitches/graphical issues/crashes/etc.
    As you said yourself, this is to be expected and will be addressed with the all of the information CA is able to gather now.
    2. Testing
    Symptoms: Game play issues/Battle and Campaign AI/content/etc.
    3. Developer Choices
    Symptoms: Gameplay mechanics/content/lore/historical accuracy
    These complaints are mostly just your personal preferences. There are a lot more people playing the game right now than there are people whining about it on the forums. You do the math.

Overall rating: poor
    You make a 'pretty' post stating the obvious plus a lot of opinionated ranting.
    Your most crucial error is that, after reading, I have nothing to take away from this. I don't know what you wanted.
    All I see is a guy blowing smoke up his own **** and bashing CA to gain praise from the forum haters to boost his own ego.
    You call yourself a developer to invoke ethos but fail to provide any proof, or indeed even an argument which this is intended to support. Again, just blowing smoke up your own ****.
    You go on to praise modders, then choose to name the one who is most famous for doing the least.

You say you hope to see replies from some enlightened thinkers. Well, we are here, and we are wondering what the point of this was.
    In Hell I'll be in good company.
  • KillZone96ENKillZone96EN Member Posts: 37Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Kross wrote: »
    As you said yourself, this is to be expected and will be addressed with the all of the information CA is able to gather now.

These complaints are mostly just your personal preferences. There are a lot more people playing the game right now than there are people whining about it on the forums. You do the math.

Overall rating: poor
    You make a 'pretty' post stating the obvious plus a lot of opinionated ranting.
    Your most crucial error is that, after reading, I have nothing to take away from this. I don't know what you wanted.
    All I see is a guy blowing smoke up his own **** and bashing CA to gain praise from the forum haters to boost his own ego.
    You call yourself a developer to invoke ethos but fail to provide any proof, or indeed even an argument which this is intended to support. Again, just blowing smoke up your own ****.
    You go on to praise modders, then choose to name the one who is most famous for doing the least.

You say you hope to see replies from some enlightened thinkers. Well, we are here, and we are wondering what the point of this was.

You know he's true, patches will make this game better and modders will make this game better. If you enjoy 5 minute tacti-lol scrums (among many other things) instead of a real battle then I feel sorely sorry for you.
  • KrossKross Senior Member Posts: 1,187Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    You know he's true, patches will make this game better and modders will make this game better. If you enjoy 5 minute tacti-lol scrums (among many other things) instead of a real battle then I feel sorely sorry for you.
    Yes, patches will make the game better. That's what I said.
    As for the rest, the fact remains that this is your personal opinion. The OP did not write a constructive and objective review, he wrote his own personal opinions along with a lot of judgement.
    Judging by the number of people playing the game right now, the game stands on its own.

Sure, it's a shame that it does not cater to the individual needs of the couple hundred people complaining on the forums right now, but that does not make the game bad.

Every complaint I have read on the forums in the past few days have either been bugs, which you always have and which will be addressed in time, or the fact that the game doesn't match the needs and expectations of the individual.

I have seen no constructive or objective concerns raised beside the graphics/bugs issues, and it's frankly shameful and pathetic that people will not admit that the game stands on it's own, just because it doesn't suit their preferences. This 'review' is no different.

Also, you lot keep saying that modders will 'improve' the game, but the very point of modding is to customize and personalize it to your needs. It's right there in your face: Your issues with the game are based in your own personal preferences, not issues with the game.
    In Hell I'll be in good company.
  • BadvocBadvoc Junior Member Posts: 19Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Kross wrote: »
    Yes, patches will make the game better. That's what I said.
    As for the rest, the fact remains that this is your personal opinion. The OP did not write a constructive and objective review, he wrote his own personal opinions along with a lot of judgement.
    Judging by the number of people playing the game right now, the game stands on its own.

Sure, it's a shame that it does not cater to the individual needs of the couple hundred people complaining on the forums right now, but that does not make the game bad.

Every complaint I have read on the forums in the past few days have either been bugs, which you always have and which will be addressed in time, or the fact that the game doesn't match the needs and expectations of the individual.

I have seen no constructive or objective concerns raised beside the graphics/bugs issues, and it's frankly shameful and pathetic that people will not admit that the game stands on it's own, just because it doesn't suit their preferences. This 'review' is no different.

Also, you lot keep saying that modders will 'improve' the game, but the very point of modding is to customize and personalize it to your needs. It's right there in your face: Your issues with the game are based in your own personal preferences, not issues with the game.

The community wanted Total War Rome 2, that is correct and this game is not what we wanted or were sold in the run up to release. When consumers want something they will pay for it but when what they were expecting is so far removed from that expectation then criticism is fair and justified.

CA dropped the ball big style on this. Most only would have wanted a new shinier version of the original and this would have been a huge success, instead we got the 'new coke' of the gaming world. By the way, the game currently as it stands is broken, it's broken by it's design flaw and this will be no quick, if ever fix.
This discussion has been closed.