Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Please fix the global chat lobby, it is close to be perfect.

alQamaralQamar BannedBanned Users Posts: 1,904
edited October 2013 in Total War Eras Support
Dear Creative Assembly support,

thank you for this great game, and your extended support times! I really appreciate that.

I would like to make a comment on this certain situation that is currently unpleasent.

The global chat lobby is still not working (since Empire), even though you made good additions in Rome 2. This it NOT a new issue but requested since years (refer this old thread):
forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/40145-The-Rome-II-Chat-Lobby

The Rome 2 chat lobby is currently 99% perfect in functionality but it does not work actually. Players are split into dozends of regions world wide, according to their set Steam Download region.
So you cannot see games, and online players nor chat with all of them. Common chat is empty, no players no working public chat, only the rooms work, but they are limited to regions aswell so do not expect your friends can see your created chat room.

Why does the community need a global / public chat

- talking about about weather :)
- much more important pre battle talk / talks after battle (analyzeing)
- building up communities
- make relations LIVE to other clans and player afar from Steam groups and forums
- invite people to games not in your friends list in Steam / additionally there is a limit on the friend list
- helping new players, answer basic questions
- organising world wide tournaments / make appointments

and so on.

a famous community supporter complaint about this situation and explains it aswell on 02.07.2012. Literally you can take into account you would help thousands of players fixing this issue finally and make the Rome 2 community same active like Rome 1 community is.

Please spread this trick to avoid the regional restriction.

On behalf of a good portion of the community I ask you to fix this asap or at least give us a hint how to avoid this issue.

We cannot talk and invite foreign people into games anymore, nor we can talk to them after a battle. We approach players and then after a battle disappear for each other again, unless we have luckily the same Steam Download region.
This is not tolerateable. Even other big games have working global chat lobbies, Rome 1 had.

You put a lot of effort into this chat actually and improved it a lot, you can even now use cut & past to ease stating rules like CWB without the hassle of repetitive new typing. All is going into a well direction but actually the chat is like a car, full featured, but you do not have the keys for that car (no working global chat, only few players to see)

Also the rooms are doubled in every region and have weird names like (Day 1, 54th chat) - refer pictures

Rome 1 still working flawless for nearly 10 years (of course aged controls), there is no everyday silence and as you can follow up the chat in the screenshot a mostly friendly athmosphere, not so friendly / annoying members can be blocked.

uo.png

Naploleon is very similar to Rome 2 problems - No players visible, no global chat working, no pre- / after battle communication possible same as in Rome 2

napoleon201207261259344.png

Shogun 2 was a mix. Some players were visible online in the global chat, but not completely not related to the steam DL region. You cannot see your friends online even they have the same region. public chat would work, but people do not use it as there is no one friendly to talk to.
shogun22012072801022843.png

Rome 2 has got extended controls but not working properly. Also the most people I ask do not see the chat lobby, as it is auto disabled by default, while the button is quite hidden in the upper left part of your main screen (who made this design decision? Also it would be nice to have lobby for classical multiplayer as currently people online might not be reachable playing a single player campaign though (perhaps use colors who is busy in which mode like in Rome 1

nn9n.png

Click on the pictures to enlarge. On Imageshack click the picture again to enlarge to full resolution.

Thank you if you can drop a line onto this, confirming things are to be fixed or WIP.

Best regards,
al Qamar
Post edited by alQamar on

Comments

• grifforgriffor Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 341
    edited September 2013
    as awesome as it would be to have this it would still have to be split into regions for

1. im not searching through 200+ games to find the game i want to join
    2. its not possible on steam sadly at the present time although someone put up a fix for it earlier today about changing your download region to the lan region for where u live.
    3. we have steam groups now which help coordinate the community much better than was done in previous total wars.
    4. i do agree that the chat lobby needs to be fixed at least put it somewhere that either

a. doesn't block half my screen.

b. i have to press the button to get to see what was typed
  • alQamaralQamar Banned Banned Users Posts: 1,904
    edited September 2013
    Thanks for your additions griffor. I appreciate them.

Well apparently you do not have search 200+ games there are filters, you can resize chat and make chat invisible not blocking your screen. But i know what you mean currently even it is transparence it is very blocking / bulky.
  • CasccoCascco Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 14
    edited September 2013
    I agree, today after multiplayer game i want to talk to enemy but i coudlnt, also i feel lonely without any chat i can't talk to anyone cause there is no global chat. I dont know why you didnt add it, actually Company of Heros 2 also have no global chat why? both game are from Cenega now, this is some kind of politics or what.
  • NitriusNitrius Member Registered Users Posts: 37
    edited September 2013
    Indeed, the chat functionality wise seems to be solid, but as a lot of other stuff in the game it's broken. Please give us some sort of global chat.
  • BlackartBlackart Senior Member Warsaw, PolandRegistered Users Posts: 192
    edited September 2013
    Yes plz, global chat and no region restriction. It's funny Rome 1 work better then Rome 2...
    "If you are slain in battle, you should be resolved to have your corpse facing the enemy."
    Yamamoto Tsunetomo
    edited September 2013
    Hello everyone I can support this hint aswell. If we all set this up we can at least see us together again in Rooms.

Russian clans do it and some other Rome 1 MP vets. Please spread this trick in the community to avoid the regional restrictions.

Thanks for all honest supporters of this issue here.
  • KimmyKimmy Member Registered Users Posts: 54
    edited September 2013
    Yes please, no more regional restriction. Fighting the AI is a bit dull until the quick-routs and ranged-spam armies have been fixed, but multiplayer battles could be a lovely way to keep busy until then. :)
    edited September 2013
    OP has been updated. Rome 2 chat remarks with less spellings (sorry) and visible explanations how it should be.
  • LittleJohn_ver31LittleJohn_ver31 Member Registered Users Posts: 85
    edited September 2013
    I had some multiplay matches.
    I also think chat communication interface of rome2 is not functional.
    Chat box seems a obstacle for players that play in full screen with not so wide monitor.

Host player is difficult to explain his decided rules to all players join his host.
    Because we don't know whether each player open it or not.

RTW's chat feature was well considered. Moreover We could have
    enough communication on the battle by pressing T key without voice chat.
    The large font embedded on the screen was very legible.

I feel strange why CA did not build chat communication feature like a rtw.
    I think it's doubtful whether present CA staffs really experienced RTW online or not.

It seems CA think these are not necessary.
    But all players do not have sufficient steam friends.
    There are beginners in total war and steam.

It is better for there to be a global chat lobby at least.
    Total war Rome2 Team Brotherhood Battle 24
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n4BpNh_SyU
    edited September 2013
    I had some multiplay matches.
    I also think chat communication interface of rome2 is not functional.
    Chat box seems a obstacle for players that play in full screen with not so wide monitor.

Host player is difficult to explain his decided rules to all players join his host.

RTW's chat feature was well considered. Moreover We could have
    enough communication on the battle by pressing T key without voice chat.
    The large font embedded on the screen was very legible.

I feel strange why CA did not build chat communication feature like a rtw.
    I think it's doubtful whether present CA staffs really experienced RTW online or not.

It seems CA does not think these are not necessary.
    But all players do not have sufficient steam friends.
    There are beginners in total war and steam.

It is better for there to be a global chat lobby at least.

good post mere walker. This is very helpful
    < and this is also a valid problem. You do not even know it, if the players have the chat open or not. Situation is a whole joke atm. I PM CA Support staff to accept this problem but I do not get a reply nor the problem has been accepted. According to their latest statement this problems is on the very last on their list as they said

1. performance stability
    2. campaign
    3. fixes / enchancements
    4. new features

I can understand this order but in case of our case I think they drop it into case 3 or 4. So expect to wait for it more than 6 months!
    edited September 2013
    sorry for my mistake

right: It seems CA thinks these are not necessary.
    mistake: It seems CA does not think these are not necessary.

P.S. Of cause I never say chat box is useless. Chat box itself is good.
    I think it's better Battle List flame is movable and the vertical width of the frame should be variable for now.
    (though I think rtwlike chat lobby interface is more better....)
    file1.jpg
    edited September 2013
    Salve, here a small update on the topic. CA has done something to fix the chat. Now in Rome 2 we have the same situation like in Shogun 2 at least.

Independent from your Steam DL location you can see now players in the global chat, they still seem to be restricted to a local steam server. You can enter text on the global chat now but no one responses. When two players are there logged in having the same Steam DL location they can see their created rooms and join, but the global chat cannot be used together, you do not see the other player in the global list and he does not get your written text in the global chat either.

Good work at least we have the same status now than Shogun 2 but still not useable CA ;)
    edited September 2013
    Issue still present, please commit this thread and tell us if this is WIP. Thank you very much for your time. al Qamar.
  • HrxixusHrxixus Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 5
    edited October 2013
    Hi all i also and mine clan and all other clans support this

Mine name is Hrxixus from WOLVES clan which playing all TOTAL WAR games and we were big clan in RTW 1 and we had lot of friends in all clans in TW games and after start of RTW 2 ( we all waited for) we found lot of things which are bad in multiplayer games and i mean things considering online 3v3 4v4 battles what we mainly playing and iam talking of comunitty of few hundred experienced players which playing TW from their start and basicly know all things from games.
    1.In RTW 2 there is no choice of looby or looby and ingame chat like in RTW1 what is big disadvatnage ,because normal chat and looby gather lot of players in game because 4v4 games are playing lot of friends which are coming in game to talk also.

2.I dont know why you removed various choice of colors in 4v4 battles for armies because when we choose for example in 4v4 all rome then we have 8 armies with same color and that funny flags so when you come in close meele if you dont zoom very close and not highlight all units you cant see anything in battle so PLEASE fix this and put better camera view choice so we can play team battles with more teamplay.

3.And last 3v3 and 4v4 are practicly unplayable because awfull lagg in game ,because you cant play if units move like in slow motion even if we all have setings on low and good connection.

I know you focused on spreading game to wide community but consider that we(communty near 1000 hard core gamers) are players which playing your games over 10 years (RTW 1,NTW,STW1,2 ..) and are all serious and experinced and most haveing our own sites and forums about our clans and mostly yours games .

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR GAMES AND HOPE YOU WILL TRY TO FIX THINGS WE ASKED .

WOLVES HRXIXUS
    edited October 2013
    I think that it may be difficult for chat box to operate global chat.
    At least, it is not functioning well actually now.

Although I don't make a denial of chatbox,
    rtw's chat feature during a battle that enable to chat without mouse is superior to chatbox.

P.S. I found [/team] command...
  • GwyndaneTWCCGwyndaneTWCC Banned Banned Users Posts: 30
    edited October 2013
    A global chatbox is necessary in my option.
  • AchilleslastandAchilleslastand Member Registered Users Posts: 96
    edited October 2013
    There hasnt been a global chat lobby since before Empire{Med2}.....not sure if it has something to do with steam or not. This was discussed a lot around the time of ETW/NTW and basically their{CA} answer was "you have your steam friends list to contact friends". The multiplayer aspect of this game is one of the worst ive seen in 15 years.
    edited October 2013
    thanks for your Feedback. I hope CA will grab this thread seriously. It is sad we haven't got any feedback on it since 5th September.
    And I furthermore hope they will not only fix it for TW Arena, where it would be at least definitely of use.
    edited October 2013
    Hi guys the chat rooms seemed to be fixed silently. There are no duplicate rooms now and it seems you can see all rooms or at least rooms created by people on your Steam friendslist now, regardless your set download region. This is a good success. Therefore the public chat is empty again, no players listed anymore.

Aswell the public chat still do not work.