Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Sorry From CA - Current State of the Game and What Happens Next (06 Sep 2013)

Comments

• pjtmprpjtmpr Junior Member Posts: 17Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    I greatly appreciate the fact that at least you, CA, are trying your best to fix the latent problems of the game , and i have faith that you will in time fix all the issues that make this game highly unplayable....

That being said, i think its the general consensus here that the game was, in fact, release in a shamefull uncomplete
    state. I specifically made a complete overhaull of my rig to match the recommended settings of the game, just to
    found out that the game has multiple performance issues(FPS drops, glitches and awfull use of gpu), that at most times make the game utterly unplayable even on the lowest settings.

You may call this an angry rant, and in fact it is, because even if i still have faith that this game can be saved, you
    drop the ball big time
  • Igor55Igor55 Senior Member Posts: 881Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Thanks.

Main ingame concerns, after the game is running properly some day:

- Bad AI, especially regarding sieges
    - Game difficulty too easy, but bad balanced.
    - Too arcadish (super magic abilities, victory flags in field battles,...), waaay too fast battles (not only a bit!!!), disco-light animations,...
    - Diplomacy is awful working (also missing annexing client states, internal politics, and trading regions)
    - No late-time units rooster for most factions. And most units only visually differ by their weapons...
    My Top wishes for Rome 2:
    - Unit DLC: Pontus (needs Galatians) / Steppe tribes / Baktria (needs Indians) / Odrysian Kingdom / Armenia
    - Faction DLC: Cherusci, Helvetii,
    - Diplomacy/Clients: "annexing"-, "bribing-", "making peace with"- and "exchanging regions"-option
    - Depth/Features: family tree, deeper internal politics, ingame videos, historical events, late-game-tasks
    - UI: Bad! Fix skill and tech trees and make more atmosphere!
    - Fix sieges & blobbing and nerf agents!
  • GunZoGunZo Senior Member Posts: 136Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Could have all been avoided if we had that DEMO now wouldn't it?
    top læl @ forum rules
  • roma victa 888roma victa 888 Junior Member Posts: 29Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    thanks for the post to acknowledge the customers. hope the team is open to significant Gameplay changes (it's way too 'ARCADEY' and we all know it)

please get rid of those Victory Point flags on open fields ASAP
    Download: Speed & Fatigue Improvement Mod
    ***Makes changes to reduce the excessive running and charging speeds of units, increases fatigue for those actions, increases timer for Victory Point flags and slightly increase melee battle times between units.
  • BloodlanceBloodlance Senior Member Helsinki / FinlandPosts: 840Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    2% ??? is this a joke?

its reported amount, the actual amount is closer to 30-40% if you calculate it by normal market standards.
    Bloodlance aka SG4tw
  • greenmangreenman Senior Member Posts: 449Registered Users
    edited September 2013
  • Wargame2017Wargame2017 Senior Member Posts: 198Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    I would want the battle speed to be sorted as the battle ends to fast and the family tree return as it is part of the game
  • Vash The StampedeVash The Stampede Senior Member Posts: 533Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    There is a reason there is only 2% of reports thats because people need to start reporting whatever issue they have with the game. http://forums.totalwar.com/forumdisplay.php/144-Total-War-Rome-II-Support-Forum here.
    "the stone is strong, Bran told himself, the roots of the trees go deep, and under the ground the Kings of Winter sit their thrones. So long as those remained, Winterfell remained. It was not dead, just broken. Like me, he thought. I’m not dead either."
  • MushuivMushuiv Junior Member Posts: 16Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    well if it was up to the standards of previous titles we wouldn't need dlc's than would we. once upon a time factions were free and paying for blood only worked because it was added after development of shogun 2 and was its first official appearance in the series

and no this was not really meant as a rant I still have hope for the game to come around and have had at least some enjoyment out of it
  • AtepaAtepa Member Posts: 82Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Thank you Mike
  • BristolBristol Member Posts: 49Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Thanks.

Even now, friends and family members ask me about this "game" I have been talking about, been so excited about for all these years...

How my new computer runs it...

And it is very disappointing to look them in the eye and tell them that the game just isn't that good.

I don't know why you guys implemented the magic abilities, the blob formations, the low morale, the terrible AI, one turn per year, instant transport ships, capture points...

I wish there was a way for us to turn these options off? Can't you put a game options setting where we can choose whether or not we want these in the game? Instead of relying on modders to do it for us?

All of this needs to be fixed...and then we will have a great game.
  • MannyRomeMannyRome Member Posts: 76Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    VaLee wrote: »
    I'm still ****ed about the problems that this game has, and wouldn't change my rating towards it atm, but atleast they are open and willing to redeem themselfs. Saying sorry goes a long way for some people.

Seconded. I want to be able to play the game for a start. Haven't even done the prologue. Who did they design this game for? People with atomic powered pc's? Inconsiderate.

I expect to be able to get started soon.
  • Ashbery76Ashbery76 Senior Member Posts: 605Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Better A.I.Slower combat,capture points removed from open battles,better performance and the game will be great.

I think the whole 2% issue is in bad taste as even the most loyal TW fan can see the game was released too early.
  • Marxist KnightMarxist Knight Member Posts: 50Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    I actually thought this was a joke until I saw it was a sticky.
  • ArcayonArcayon Junior Member Posts: 15Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    maciora wrote: »
    Blood Patch introduced for free should be, family tree given to us should be. Then forgive we will.

And bring back the campaign unit multiplier. Blood patch would be a great start though.
  • Hanzi1234Hanzi1234 Junior Member Posts: 10Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Hmmm I preordered shogun 2... Because of???? Coop... And what I get a big slap in the face.... but not only once...
    Patch xyz : desync fixed... (Month later)
    Patched game -> played, the mode I bought the game for 20 rounds... desnyc... "Slap"
    Patch 832924: desync fixed....( more time later)
    Patched game -> played, the mode I bought the game for 20 rounds... desnyc... "Slap"
    Patch 324ß09: desync fixed....(much more time later one year?)
    Patched game -> played, no fun to play the game: /

Ok now CA announced rome2
    I try to think logical: in Shogun2 the desync is fixed, finally.... Rome2: same engine, same game more or less. This problem can’t be in?
    Get in the preorder -Trap: Hyped it, Preordered because of COOP again.
    and??? *SLAP* in the face =)

In other businesses you get refund or whatever.
    Car seller says you can sit in the car with another person.
    You buy it because you don’t want to drive alone anymore.
    You get the car. You can’t drive "coop".
    What will happen?
  • SteelFaithSteelFaith Senior Member Posts: 1,000Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    .....but the vast majority of people are running the game without problems. At the moment we are seeing 2% of people playing reporting a technical issue.

I support you CA, and I'm not trying to troll you by any means, but I think you're trying to minimize the situation here for PR purposes. Some people I play with have no issues, other bugs breaking the prologue or the battles, but no major graphical issues - yet they're still getting lower fps than they should be. Even people with very powerful machines are having some issues, even moderate to small ones. Saying 98% of the Rome II players are playing this game without problems is a BIG issue for you guys to think that, this problem is effecting way more people than you're aware of, or admitting to. Gaming media all over the web is acknowledging this game has a broken release for many people.

My system should run this game on Ultra or Extreme. I can just about run smaller sized battles on Very High, and forget medium to larger sized battles - I can't even play the prologue.

I appreciate your guys support, but I wish you'd realize how big of a problem this is....
  • stumpstump Junior Member Posts: 7Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Thank you for updating us. I appreciate the honest nature of this reply and look forward to the issues with Rome II being resolved. My issues with it are entirely balance related and a lack of tactics on the battlefield. It is nice to know that CA is attempting to address issues besides just bug fixes. Looking forward to this evolving into a great total war game.

Thanks again
  • narimonknarimonk Senior Member Posts: 103Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Eptesicus wrote: »
    You know what I want to know CA? I want to know what CPU runs this game acceptably? As far as i see, loads of users iwth modern, highly clocked i7's and i5's all experience a massive bottlneck and less than 50% GPU usage in medium - large battles.

I have an i5 2500k @4.4GHZ and two GTX 670's in SLI and i cant play the game, even with low-medium settings without the whole thing chugging a long when i have about 10 units on screen.....GPU usage has gone as low as 25% in some cases...

Also...it very much isnt 2%

CPU and GPU are two totally different things. And actually it is around 2% of the roughly 100k people average online the last few days there have been less then 2k support threads or inquiries therefor 2% is accurate. Back to the GPU thing did you try going into settings and setting enable unlimited video memory? There is an issue with SLI that has been acknowledged but my Macbook Pro has an i7 quad core with an AMD Radeon HD 6670M and I can run the game fine on extreme with like 50FPS at least.
  • Drop ShockDrop Shock Member Posts: 88Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Thanks for the update, it's good to see a response.
  • FhreedFhreed Junior Member Posts: 10Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    The 2% thing is absurd. Can you honestly say that the game is working as intended with the god awful AI, graphical bugs, and all sorts of other problems?
    2% of the user base reporting problem does not mean 2% of people is the only ones experiencing these things. The AI is something EVERYONE playing the game has to deal with, making it a 100% user base problem. <_<
  • VastatorVastator Senior Member Posts: 1,423Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    I quit reading at "2%".
    Disclaimer: any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.
    Also because i don't work for The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

Creator of "Vastator Unit Style" for Shogun 2: Here or here
  • Achilles284Achilles284 Member Posts: 68Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    I have no problem with the performance. I haven't had a single problem with my i7 on extreme everything. But for gods sake please fix the horrid gameplay and core mechanics...
  • Vash The StampedeVash The Stampede Senior Member Posts: 533Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Bloodlance wrote: »
    its reported amount, the actual amount is closer to 30-40% if you calculate it by normal market standards.

lol CA has access to the numbers, and here you come with your magic calculator because judging things on the internet is always a god way to get a grasp on what's going on.
    "the stone is strong, Bran told himself, the roots of the trees go deep, and under the ground the Kings of Winter sit their thrones. So long as those remained, Winterfell remained. It was not dead, just broken. Like me, he thought. I’m not dead either."
  • madmariomadmario Senior Member Posts: 115Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    I just want to acknowledge that this took a pair of stones. Thank you for not engaging in the strategy of The Silence.
    "[A]ges of siege warfare culminated in the use of torches. It is simply not plausible." Garbarsardar
  • EndovellicusEndovellicus Senior Member Posts: 1,494Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Thank you for these words. :)

But I miss some news about sound issues. Will we have (eventually) Spanish (and Italian) voices for the units in the game?

http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/77926-Unit-voices-in-english-but-everything-else-dubbed-to-Spanish

http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/76627-Localization-issue-No-Italian-audio-for-troops
  • Achilles284Achilles284 Member Posts: 68Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Bristol wrote: »
    thanks.

Even now, friends and family members ask me about this "game" i have been talking about, been so excited about for all these years...

How my new computer runs it...

And it is very disappointing to look them in the eye and tell them that the game just isn't that good.

I don't know why you guys implemented the magic abilities, the blob formations, the low morale, the terrible ai, one turn per year, instant transport ships, capture points...

I wish there was a way for us to turn these options off? Can't you put a game options setting where we can choose whether or not we want these in the game? Instead of relying on modders to do it for us?

All of this needs to be fixed...and then we will have a great game.
    this a thousand times ca....especially the magical abilities.... What the heck were you thinking? Special flaming javelins? Seriously
  • moglornmoglorn Senior Member Posts: 187Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Why is it so hard to believe it is 2%? i play this game and a lot of people that i know on teamspeak and none have them have issues, ok a bug here and there but nothing serious to make the game unplayable
  • TzimakosGRTzimakosGR Member Posts: 97Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Thanks a lot for the response CA. It was the time to step up , admit your mistakes and clarify things. I want to suggest some things to the development team.

- BAI: BAI is not terrible. Not even bad, but in my opinion it needs a lot of tweaking. The AI even on Legendary does not capitilize on numerical advantage over the player. It's not as much aggresive as it should be. Emphasize on that please. Furthermore, the real problem with the BAI is during sieges. The AI behaves really weird ( Charge into your units, the last second before the impact retreats). You need to fix these bugs, were the AI behaves almost like it's frozen. This is a big step forward. If you manage to fix that the AI would be pretty good and enjoyable playing against it.

-CAI: I know that there were many complaints about Shogun's CAI being overly agrresive towards the player, but this time the AI is so friendly that can **** anyone off. Even on Legendary, the AI is so friendly that you can't actually start a war against them, without feeling bad youself ( LOL ). Also, it seems like in some occasions the CAI refuses to trade with you, for no apparent reason and then asks for a huge amount of money that doesn't worth the cost at all ( 20000+ gold after 100+ turns in the Campaign). Also, we should be able to select the amount of money for trade,alliances,etc ourselves and not by default. After many turns in the campaign the amount of money asked are insane and not realistic at all. Furthermore, it seems like the CAI chooses to recruit the lowest quality of units even when it has a huge empire and the economic ability to field more efficient armies. This is really annoying later on cause you are a pretty much unstoppable force, killing everyone on your way, cause they don't have good armies that can challenge your territorial expansions.

Gameplay: The unit balancing needs to be addressed. Some units are way more powerful than others ( Praetorian Guard, Galatian Royal Guard, Hellenic Royal Guard, etc) to the point where a single unit fully surrounded demands a lot of time to rout, even when it's severely outnumbered and attacked from the rear.

Unit's Speed must be slightly adjust to slower speed, especially the heavier units in the game. Cavalry must be able to pull back more easily when engaged. If the cavalry engages with a unit, is pretty much impossible to pull them back without rooting.

Battle Speed is decent but imo needs to be slowered down a bit.

co-op campaign: So many issues that needs to be addressed. The only thing i can't understand is why a feature that in Shogun 2 was polished and worked perfectly fine, returns exactly the same in Rome 2 and has so many problems. Right now, it's pretty much impossible to play co-op campaign without desyncing and crashing, which is really sad. If the co-op campaign will be fixed, i would recommend to release a beta for 4 players co-op and officialy release it in a following expansion. In this way, you will be able to test it and balance it for the time being and everyone will enjoy it untill it's officialy released.

And last but not least. OPTIMISATION ! I know you can do that, so i will patiently while enjoying this great game ! :)
  • zzman305zzman305 Senior Member Posts: 459Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    I dutifully accept your apology CA. However, we all know you are eventually going to fix the optimization problems and the bugs. I even have faith you and the modding community will fix the AI. That is not really my concern. My concern is this simple question here.
    Tornadium wrote: »
    I require Clarification.

Does this mean Gameplay Overhauls are on the table or not? .

No walled minor settlements
    No guard mode
    No family tree
    No fire at will for legionaries.
    No armies without captains
    and a flag system that ruins the game entirely.

I can forgive the bugs and glitches. But this I can not.

But thank you for acknowledging us anyway. Its a lot better than what most game devs would do.
    Veni Vedi Veci