Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Sorry From CA - Current State of the Game and What Happens Next (06 Sep 2013)

Comments

• KreayshawnKreayshawn Member Posts: 30Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Release mod tools
  • Xtreme_ChaosXtreme_Chaos Senior Member Posts: 226Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    katakroker wrote: »
    chernobyl total war

LOL I would actually love to play this
  • ZatarraZatarra Member Posts: 30Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Recommended:
    Processor:2nd Generation Intel Core i5 processor (or greater)
    Memory: 4GB RAM
    Graphics:1024 MB DirectX 11 compatible graphics card.
    DirectX®:11
    Hard Drive:35 GB HD space
    Screen Resolution: 1920x1080

These are RECOMMENDED wich means it should be running 60fps maxed out you dig ? Guys buy and want smooth gameplay. If it was like i15 and GTX1500 no one would buy the game.
  • MannyRomeMannyRome Member Posts: 76Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Caeser wrote: »
    It's not stupid lol I thought as I paid £30 i was aloud to complain? Or does that only count if I'm someone who is complaining lots?

Don't you think your major complaints are a bit out of place, compared to the rest of us who have essentially lined their pockets for nothing in return?
  • AngryJoeShowAngryJoeShow Senior Member Posts: 149Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Please dont try to dismiss the problem as 2%, that's insulting.

I know you have to "get it in there" that the majority of people aren't having problems. But i'd also like to say the majority of people who have problems may not even bother to get on forums or send emails to you to let you know, they just rage privately and move on.What are the percentages of those people? Don't know? Oh. Okay. So please don't presume to know the definitive percentage of people having issues.

As for you addressing these issues as quickly as human possible with the Dev team thank you very much for doing so.

I just wish we weren't having this conversation right now.
    :mad: Angry Joe
    AngryJoeShow.com
  • Xtreme_ChaosXtreme_Chaos Senior Member Posts: 226Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    It won't be quick and you won't enjoy it.

LOL!!!! This thread is full of gems! I know where this came from! :D
  • RumblefishRumblefish Senior Member Posts: 419Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Thank you for the communication.

2% is irrelevant really as the vast majority of people suffering issues will not complain about them. On the other hand almost all professional reviews of the game (even the very favourable ones) have noted the performance issues.

I don't think the rage stems from performance issues per se. Generally, people can tolerate bugs and optimisation issues because they can be worked on and improved (even though they should have been solved before launch).

Yes, please do keep honing the graphics, performance and campaign and battlefield AI, but the crux of the matter is with some of the design decisions which were not thought through. This is just my view but here's a list of improvements that really should be implemented asap:
    • remove capture the flag from any field battles (they make sense in sieges but have no place on battlefields and nullify tactics)
    • nerf transport ships so that if a fleet catches up with a transport ship it's dead meat - this will make raising a fleet actually useful and transporting one's armies over sea a risky proposition
    • tweak diplomacy so that the AI's decisions actually reflect their opinion towards the player and other factions
    • implement the loose/tight, wedge and guard formations from previous TW titles
    • implement the option of more than one turn per year, this is crucial as the current system is undermining other game mechanics such as the unrealistic time it takes to traverse the campaign map and the early death of generals/agents
    • slow the battle speed down a bit but have the speed up buttons provide more of an increase (say x2.5 and x5)
    • include an option to tailor which magic/arcadey abilities are available on the battlefield
    • allow melee units to throw spears whilst stationary
    • make the AI select more balanced armies (not all skirmishers etc)
    • reworking agents so that the % chance of success actually represents the chance of success
    • reduce the size of the unit cards on the battlefield

If you could do make just these changes in the short term then we'd be in business,

Long term perhaps your focus should be on:
    Overhauling the politics system so that there is some depth there
    Overhauling the buildings in the game so there is more choice and need for difficult decisions
    Implementing seasons to add variety and strategy
    Completely redoing character portraits - they are horrendous
    Making generals more individual and personal
    Vastly improving and varying the traits that armies, generals and agents gain so there are some meaningful choices to make

The music is great, the battlefield and campaign map graphics are lovely, the units look great and some of the new additions are fantastic (army naming and history, army recruitment, action cam, tactical view, strategic map) but it's a shell of the game. If you could do all of the above then Rome II would be a gem - but, of course, it's not going to be easy.
    This just might be the best thing that's happened to the TW series - http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?680834-Ancient-Empires-Attila-202BC-Project-Outline
  • Jakeryan99Jakeryan99 Junior Member Posts: 7Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    A lot of the glitches and AI deficiencies have been done to death in previous posts. But, while my game works fine in the main, I really hope there's an overhaul of the political/faction tab at some point because it's holding the game back.

So gutting to have the family tree taken away which gives factions/families a proper context and is an easy way to familiarise with your generals/family members. And not to mention that historically the Romans placed a huge emphasis on patrician lineage.

Really bizarre that it was taken away along with proper marriages and births - not to mention the almost anonymous manner in which it's announced your general has died (?) and has to be replaced.

At the moment the whole politics concept feels a little flaky, especially compared with Rome 1, whereas with changes the battles should improve quite easily and the campaign map is class already.

Hope something's done - not sure what happened during the game's making.

Jake
  • NefariousNefarious Senior Member Posts: 228Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Bart CA wrote: »
    ...The first patch has just gone up
    -it's not trouble-free we know and are fixing with a hotfix...
    Thank you for reading,
    Mike Simpson

I appreciate the communication.
    And I'm hoping the red sky issue, introduced in the patch, is a focus of the hotfix.
    Thank you
    Every time I venture from New Orleans,
    I get the sensation of leaving Oz and landing on Kansas.
  • GrudgeNLGrudgeNL Senior Member Posts: 7,178Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    athropos wrote: »
    Are you completely unable of abstract thought? I used the crime analogy as an example as for why you can't base yourself on reported statistics to beleive it represents the whole problem accurately. Of course criminals dont report themselves. Are you daft? Do you really think that 100% of people with a problem with the game are posting in forums and reporting it? And do you think CA keeps track of every forum? Trust me I have a feeling the real number of people with issues exceeds far beyond 2%

No need to be a CA apologist here as well. You're not helping anybody, or making the game any better.

Your comparison hardly makes any sense. Calling me daft? And I've 'blocked' you. Insulting makes you look bad.
    Grudge's Mods
    Total War: Karling - Coming soon...-ish
    Grudge's Total War: Attila - Sassanid UI skin here on the Steam Workshop
  • CloverClover Senior Member Posts: 4,964Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    I was really appreciative until
    At the moment we are seeing 2% of people playing reporting a technical issue.
    I hope this only means that 2% that played bothered to report an issue on technical support, which I can believe, but if the claim is that 2% of the people have an issue..then that is just insulting..
    (\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.
  • eddide9eddide9 Member Posts: 89Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    It's great that you apoligize, it gives me so much more respect for you. But 2% is bs. I reckon about 30%+.
    I understand that you are not lying with the 2% per se, but you are lying with statistics. Please remove the 2% and you have a great apology I can accept.

ps (please remove the magic abilities)
    Appear weak when you are strong, and strong when you are weak
    ― Sun Tzu, The Art of War
  • VERULAMVERULAM Member Posts: 82Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    A good response from CA. I was a happy camper until the patch with the game firing on all extreme cylinders. Now it is red skies. To say that I was p***ed off would put it mildly. Hopefully a hotfix this weekend.

For goodness sake please keep it simple though. I'm no PC geek and don't really understand all the mumbo jumbo. I can update drivers and that's about it.
  • katakrokerkatakroker Senior Member Posts: 640Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    LOL I would actually love to play this
    Just play it with the patch to have it
    "2%"
  • athroposathropos Senior Member Posts: 146Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    GrudgeNL wrote: »
    Your comparison hardly makes any sense. Calling me daft? And I've 'blocked' you. Insulting makes you look bad.

Blocking is easier than making an effort to understand a simple comparison I guess.
  • DukieDukie Senior Member Posts: 178Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Thanks for the post and info Bart CA. :cool:
  • FilarFilar Senior Member Posts: 416Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Yes, you are so very sorry, that you post on these forums that 150% of recommended requirements are still to low to make the game not look worse than shogun2. Tells a lot to me when judging the honesty of your apologies.
  • MatiMati Junior Member Posts: 29Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    A constructive suggestion to the real author of the post behind the scenes: I know the post is well intended but in a situation like this one I would not share support statistics with the customers. Let the PR guy handle it, not you! I do not think we care if we are the 2% or the 98%. That's misleading and we the customers we are not dumb (well... at least most of us I guess).

By the way, I am among the 98% because I did not report any issue, posted on any forum here (or anywhere else) yet that doesn't mean I do not have those performance issues. It means I already saw the complaints and the reports of those same issues and therefore I'm silent... watching and waiting for the fixes.

As I side note, I know PC games always come out with bugs but serious broad performance issues are not that common, imho. The game design is great, the AI is better than before and will get better, but the performance issues will be a showstopper for many. It's about time you run open betas before release so you can save $ on safeguarding the reputation of the brand, saving on post-release support and post release dev time, etc...

Just saying. :/
    Mati :p
  • FhreedFhreed Junior Member Posts: 10Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    He is about 2% sorry.
  • katakrokerkatakroker Senior Member Posts: 640Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    2% is the people with no issues at all
    "2%"
  • LKHEROLKHERO Member Posts: 297Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    I'm not sure of the 2% because that number seems far-fetched. The majority of people who play the game do not post on the forums, yes, but that's not to say these people are not experiencing severe gameplay issues.

Never the less, it's good to see a sincere reply. Let's see what the following weeks bring :)
    Competitive Total War: Warhammer MP
    Follow me on Twitch!
  • JackalcyJackalcy Member Posts: 73Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Playing devil's advocate here, but I am pretty sure he meant 2% have issues with launching the game, not actual technical/performance issues
    i5 2500k @4.5 GHz
    RAM 8GB @ 1600 Hz
    GPU EVGA 680 SC edition
    O/S Win 7 64bit

TW Rome II forest benchmark (extreme settings): 41 fps average (patch 4). 42 fps (patch 3). 42 fps (patch 2). 42 fps (patch 1)
  • MannyRomeMannyRome Member Posts: 76Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    katakroker wrote: »
    2% is the people with no issues at all

Well that actually made me laugh.
  • FhreedFhreed Junior Member Posts: 10Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Jackalcy wrote: »
    Playing devil's advocate here, but I am pretty sure he meant 2% have issues with launching the game, not actual technical/performance issues

But that is like ignoring every other problem the game has...
  • GrudgeNLGrudgeNL Senior Member Posts: 7,178Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Clover wrote: »
    I was really appreciative until I hope this only means that 2% that played bothered to report an issue on technical support, which I can believe, but if the claim is that 2% of the people have an issue..then that is just insulting..

Look at the amount of people viewing the general discussion forum, now look at the amount of people looking at the support forum. Now take into account 80,000 people play Rome II at the moment. Obviously more than 2% have issues. But if people don't bother posting, that's not CA's fault.

A lot of people just rant and leave, demanding for a refund in the process. That doesn't help CA because these gamers don't want CA to fix the game.
    Grudge's Mods
    Total War: Karling - Coming soon...-ish
    Grudge's Total War: Attila - Sassanid UI skin here on the Steam Workshop
  • moglornmoglorn Senior Member Posts: 187Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Why would they lie? no really give me reasons
  • Yocheco619Yocheco619 Senior Member Posts: 204Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Eptesicus wrote: »
    You know what I want to know CA? I want to know what CPU runs this game acceptably? As far as i see, loads of users iwth modern, highly clocked i7's and i5's all experience a massive bottlneck and less than 50% GPU usage in medium - large battles.

I have an i5 2500k @4.4GHZ and two GTX 670's in SLI and i cant play the game, even with low-medium settings without the whole thing chugging a long when i have about 10 units on screen.....GPU usage has gone as low as 25% in some cases...

Also...it very much isnt 2%

I have almost the same system, with one GPU, lower version, and a not overclocked i5 2400k (or maybe its the 2500k), and it runs fine for me, when there are large battles it does drop in frame rate (and I am refrencing plus 4000 men in a battle). Ill look at what I have and post exactly for better explination.
    A brave man may fall, but he cannot yield

Intel i5-2500K 3.30 GHz
    8 GB Memory
    64 Bit
    GeForce GTX 460

Future Patch Note Wishlist:
    http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/100179-If-this-were-Patch-4-Notes.-All-is-forgiven
  • El MatadorEl Matador Senior Member Posts: 153Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Thank you for posting this. Just an official statement that acknowledges that there are indeed problems with gameplay goes a long way to easing my mind.

Here's hoping you're serious about this and that we can expect to see this game develop into a worthy Total War title.

I'm still a bit sore at being sold what is effectively a beta, but I'll (nearly) forget all about it if you can get this game polished up in a timely manner.
    My Review
    ~*~
    >>2%<<
  • Maccy149Maccy149 Member Posts: 76Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Thank you. Was extremely annoyed before but this really does go along way in my opinion of CA. I still have concerns that even when the bugs are fixed (which I'm not to fused about) it still just doesnt feel like a tw game. All the reasons are out there so I'm not going to repeat them. But anyway thank you for being a gentleman and giving us some sort of apology (though I notice you never said it) :p
  • UltimaratioUltimaratio Senior Member Posts: 219Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Doubt that this game will be fixed in the near future or will be the Total War we know and expected. In general it is not even modable as every new patch will break the mod again and this for a very very long time. I really would like to know which devil has ridden you to create this mess mostlikly $ega and your own hubris. Anyway for me it was the last game i preordered and i assume i will not buy something from you guys again and btw fire some of the guys who "tested" "desinged" and "programmed" this whatever it is.
    "The spirit of Germania is the spirit of freedom" - Hegel
    Involuntary Rome 2 fullpriced Beta Tester
    The mysterious button of Rome 2 Where is it gone?:
    http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/90973-CA-Have-you-seen-this-button