Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Rome 2 "Not Responding" After patch

Chaos DruidChaos Druid Junior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 5
edited February 2014 in Total War Eras Support
Game was working fine minus some basic bug issues and glitches. Patch Downloaded today after 15 minutes. Clicked play, launcher came up, clicked Play, the title screen for Rome 2 with the crimson background loaded up then stopped there. Task manager said the program was not responding. Tried several more times, leaving it for longer and longer, with no effect. Uninstalled and re-installed the game. No effect. Verified the game content and files via Steam, nothing wrong there it said. Would really like to get back to my game.
Post edited by Chaos Druid on

Comments

• HardwaremasterHardwaremaster Senior Member In 3dsmax Los Angeles CaliforniaRegistered Users, Tech Moderators Posts: 6,391
    edited September 2013
    Have you tried validating your cache? perhaps something went wrong with the final update.
    Total War Forum: Terms and Conditions
    "True redundancy is when you are writing a description to describe the word that describes the description you used to describe it." - Christopher Purches

My PC: (2x 980GTX 4GB) (32GB DDR4 2133mhz) (I7 5980K OC 4.5Ghz) (512GB SSDs + 2TB storage drives)

"How on earth is a video game supposed to help you "feel the smell of ash"? Maybe CA could package some up with your disc." -Mackles
  • Chaos DruidChaos Druid Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 5
    edited September 2013
    Yes I have already done that, nothing comes up as wrong
  • HardwaremasterHardwaremaster Senior Member In 3dsmax Los Angeles CaliforniaRegistered Users, Tech Moderators Posts: 6,391
    edited September 2013
    Alright noted, is there anything in your Appdata/Roaming/The Creative Assembly/Rome2/logs: folder?
    "True redundancy is when you are writing a description to describe the word that describes the description you used to describe it." - Christopher Purches

My PC: (2x 980GTX 4GB) (32GB DDR4 2133mhz) (I7 5980K OC 4.5Ghz) (512GB SSDs + 2TB storage drives)

"How on earth is a video game supposed to help you "feel the smell of ash"? Maybe CA could package some up with your disc." -Mackles
  • LBarnes101LBarnes101 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 7
    edited September 2013
    I'm having the same issue
    in my appdata logs i have the files:
    event_metrics
    gfx.log
    modified

I've verified my cache, but no joy
    edited September 2013
    I have followed the advice on other threads and deleted the preferences.script.txt, the game is still not working, or do I need to re-install after i have done that?
  • GhostDogGhostDog Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 8
    edited September 2013
    HI, I have exactly the same issue ... before the patch everything was working well ... after the patch I am unable to launch the game anymore ... It seems that this issue was raised by many players in differents part of the forum ...

I have controlled the intigrity of the rome file, desinstall and install the game ... there is nothing to do ...
  • AngelScorpioAngelScorpio Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 12
    edited September 2013
    I got the same problem. First I thought it was me pressing on continue playing after the patch but when I pressed the Play button it still stops in the loading screen.
    "I might live in a small broken country but a broken country does not live in me; what lives inside is greatness."
  • MonolokMonolok Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1
    edited September 2013
    I'm having exactly this problem. Can anyone help? What a nightmare this game has been so far.
    edited September 2013
    Guys please try:
    Step 1)

LIGHT LOBOTOMY
    Try going to C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Rome2 and delete the following folders:

army_setups
    battle_preferences
    fx_cache
    ui_cache
    Scripts

FULL LOBOTOMY
    Delete entire R2 folder

(If you cant find Appdata or the R2 files, they may be hidden and Ctrl+F and search should find them. ALternatively you an go to contorl panel and globally make all files visible.)

• GASPiGASPi Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 27
    edited September 2013
    I have the same issue.
    before patch 1 --> it works but with lags and low textures
    after patch 1 --> black screen after click on "play" from launcher
    after patch 1 hotfix beta --> same black screen
    after reinstall + patch 1 --> after click on "play" from launcher --> w7 error "Rome 2 has stopped working" (attached file)

I am really dissapointed. From 3.9. I was not able to properly play :(.
    CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K (3,4GHz???), CPU cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212+ EVO, MB: ASUS Z87-A, GPU: MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G, DDRAM: 2x4GB Kingston DDR3 1600MHz CL9 HyperX X2 Grey Series, SSD: CRUCIAL M4 256GB + SAMSUNG 850 EVO 500GB HDD: SAMSUNG HD501LJ 500GB SATA, DVD-RW: ASUS DRW-24B1ST, SOUND: ASUS Xonar Phoebus + Logitech Z-2300 + Sony MDR-1RBT, CASE: Antec P183 black, PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2, LCD: 24" Dell P2414H
  • AngelScorpioAngelScorpio Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 12
    edited September 2013
    My error was: that the game stopped loading by the credit screen (red)

First I deleted the folders which Hardwaremaster suggested and that DIDN'T work.

After rebooting my pc I deleted the whole Rome2 folder in Appdata roaming the creative assembly..

And that WORKED! I lost my save game tho, but that's alright.
    "I might live in a small broken country but a broken country does not live in me; what lives inside is greatness."
    edited September 2013
    My error was: that the game stopped loading by the credit screen (red)

First I deleted the folders which Hardwaremaster suggested and that DIDN'T work.

After rebooting my pc I deleted the whole Rome2 folder in Appdata roaming the creative assembly..

And that WORKED! I lost my save game tho, but that's alright.

Awww, you didn't follow the "except Save games" btw they should still be in your Recycling bin.

edited September 2013
    OK, I have tried to deleted Rome2 folder in Appdata, restart PC, launched Rome2 --> the same "...has stopped working" window :(
    CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K (3,4GHz???), CPU cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212+ EVO, MB: ASUS Z87-A, GPU: MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G, DDRAM: 2x4GB Kingston DDR3 1600MHz CL9 HyperX X2 Grey Series, SSD: CRUCIAL M4 256GB + SAMSUNG 850 EVO 500GB HDD: SAMSUNG HD501LJ 500GB SATA, DVD-RW: ASUS DRW-24B1ST, SOUND: ASUS Xonar Phoebus + Logitech Z-2300 + Sony MDR-1RBT, CASE: Antec P183 black, PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2, LCD: 24" Dell P2414H
  • Joey CAJoey CA Creative Assembly Moderators, Administrators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff Posts: 750
    edited September 2013
    We are looking into these issues. I will find out what I can about why this is happening.
    The Community Coordinator for Total War: WARHAMMER

The formal disclaimer: any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.
    edited September 2013
    Thank you Joey for your reply, we are looking forward to solution.
    edited September 2013
    Thanks for the post Joey! :)

@GASPi:

You tried the full lobotomy?

• MrTopBananaMrTopBanana Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2
    edited September 2013
    I have the same issue.

I updated the game - Steam deleted my Rome 2 from Steam list (data is still there)

i reinstalled game (was no noeed to download it again).
    But after this, my game remain broke. Its the same error like he got :(

I deleted all my Rome 2 files now and iam downloading it again. Will take a few mins more (12mbit per second) and i will tell u it helped me or not.
  • nations84nations84 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 5
    edited September 2013
    Game was working fine minus some basic bug issues and glitches. Patch Downloaded today after 15 minutes. Clicked play, launcher came up, clicked Play, the title screen for Rome 2 with the crimson background loaded up then stopped there. Task manager said the program was not responding. Tried several more times, leaving it for longer and longer, with no effect. Uninstalled and re-installed the game. No effect. Verified the game content and files via Steam, nothing wrong there it said. Would really like to get back to my game.

I had this exact issue as well with the addition to the fact that during the patch download my super computer became completely unresponsive after about 20 seconds of downloading. Physically had to hold down the power button to turn off. Not COOL! All virus and firewall software was disabled at the time.
    Finaly the entire 26.9 Meg patch downloaded after 5 shutdowns. Then the Non responding issue at the crimson screen described above occured.
    I validated cache and 5 files came up missing. Bear in mind no files were missing prior to the patch. The download size of those files were 2.6GB.
    After this it all worked as far as actually being able to start up this product...
    edited September 2013
    @GASPi:

You tried the full lobotomy?
    If the full lobotomy means to delete the whole Rome2 directory from "...AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\", then YES.
    After I tried to start Rome 2, it created there only 2 subdirectories:
    1. "logs" with 1 file - modified.log (in file --> "Failed to open C:\GAMES\STEAM\steamapps\common\Total War Rome II\data\manifest.txt for reading!"
    2. "scripts" without any file
  • MrTopBananaMrTopBanana Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2
    edited September 2013
    I reinstalled the game, and it didnt helped.

I deinstalled the APPDATA in C / USERNAME / APPDATA / CA / Rome II (Delete full direc.) and it worked ^^
  • Magnus LaniusMagnus Lanius Member Registered Users Posts: 38
    edited September 2013
    So now i give up for the next patch i have reinstalled 2 times over my DVD's, 1 time over Steam, have change the script text, have install the newest beta driver, patch everything i can patch, have use the NVIDIA controll center to handle something, have search over 1 day in Forum for solutions, have play on the lowest settings, have update direct x from the folder over 3 times and all the redist thing there, have stop my antivirus prog, have turn off one cpu and turn it back on,have use the repair function over steam over 4 times, have patch 1 hotfix download, have started a new campagne over 4 times, have play the prolog campange oder 4 times, historicle battles,multiplayer,skirmish....ahh what ever i have no more power sry CA u have fail -.- and this say i as a Collectors Edition owner...i have trust u..i have believe in u...i want to play Rome 2 so much...but i cant...

Much FPS drop only a little bit playable for me at the lowest setting...(i have play Shogun 2 on High Setting without problems...
    Every **** time the game its now hanging sometime after 5 mins sometimes after 30 mins...

I have a old PC i know it but i have thinking "Hey when u can play Shogun 2 on High than u can play Rome 2 on High..okey buy it" but than this destaster...im out for the next patch

Do Something CA or i will make use of my warranty i have read it yes and for all they are in the last site of the manual and they stand they have 90 days to fix it will it not i will became all my moneys back...So please CA do something...i lost every day more and more my believe in you...

Bye a great Total War Fan...
    Disce aut discede!
    edited September 2013
    Dude really i dont know how or why but it work i will say thank you so much you have solve what CA not. Now i can play the game on high setting with a little FPS drop but its better rhan before and the game its not hanging anymore just after 2 hour of play sometime long loading after turn but not hanging anymore. Really i thank you so much for this easy solution :D
    Disce aut discede!
    edited September 2013
    Did the total Lobotomy, problem is solved. game is back up and running, the patch has sped a few things up which is nice. Thanks so much CA for doing your best, the game is great, hope people can all enjoy it with out the hassle soon!
    edited September 2013
    Please Sticky this is very Helpfull :)
    Disce aut discede!
  • IL CapitanoIL Capitano Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 18
    edited September 2013
    nations84 wrote: »
    I had this exact issue as well with the addition to the fact that during the patch download my super computer became completely unresponsive after about 20 seconds of downloading. Physically had to hold down the power button to turn off. Not COOL! All virus and firewall software was disabled at the time.
    Finaly the entire 26.9 Meg patch downloaded after 5 shutdowns. Then the Non responding issue at the crimson screen described above occured.
    I validated cache and 5 files came up missing. Bear in mind no files were missing prior to the patch. The download size of those files were 2.6GB.
    After this it all worked as far as actually being able to start up this product...

I have this issue too. Been trying 15 times to downlaod the patch.. Crashes everytime at 90 %. Sometimes it is saying: Update suspended
  • PrometheusPrometheus Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 765
    edited September 2013

That's the same I am having , how can I fix that?
  • prophedprophed Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 10
    edited September 2013
    I have this issue too. Been trying 15 times to downlaod the patch.. Crashes everytime at 90 %. Sometimes it is saying: Update suspended

Same here, it downloaded the first 71% in seconds, now it's just stuck...
  • PrometheusPrometheus Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 765
    edited September 2013
    GASPi wrote: »
    If the full lobotomy means to delete the whole Rome2 directory from "...AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\", then YES.
    After I tried to start Rome 2, it created there only 2 subdirectories:
    1. "logs" with 1 file - modified.log (in file --> "Failed to open C:\GAMES\STEAM\steamapps\common\Total War Rome II\data\manifest.txt for reading!"
    2. "scripts" without any file

full lobotomy did work , but now did I loose all my save games?
    edited September 2013
    Prometheus wrote: »
    That's the same I am having , how can I fix that?

Have u try to delete the rome 2 folder in appdata?
    Disce aut discede!
  • IL CapitanoIL Capitano Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 18
    edited September 2013
    prophed wrote: »
    Same here, it downloaded the first 71% in seconds, now it's just stuck...

Tried to deleate the appdata files.. Did nothing. Still suspended, or stuck at 90 % and then steam crashes my computer.
This discussion has been closed.