Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rome 2 will more than likley still be great

mijoflmijofl Junior MemberPosts: 15Registered Users
edited September 2013 in Total War: ROME II
I realize that the game truly is an unfinished beta excuse for a finished game, and I understand why most are upset with CA for this. However I don't understand why people are swearing off the game already. I think after a couple months (mabye 3-4) this will be a great game and perhaps the best total war yet. Once these issues are dealt with by patches from CA and mods, which are both already present with more to come, This game will meet all the expectations we had for it and more. What does everyone else think?
Post edited by mijofl on
«1

Comments

  • YetiYeti Member Posts: 50Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    I really like Rome II. But the AI will need a complete overhaul before people will accept it.
  • reidster338reidster338 Member Posts: 48Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Of course it will, the initial backlash is expected when it comes to PC gaming.
  • TroasTroas Senior Member Posts: 226Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Even if they fix performance issues and bugs its still mediocre. Look at the battles. The AI. The diplomacy. The new UI. This is terrible. The only reason not to uninstall it is because of incoming mods.
  • KarmineKarmine Senior Member Posts: 615Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Have any of you played the previous Total War games ?

    Have you guys tried games like SimCity in release day ? Sorry, I meant on 2nd Month cause you couldn't enter the game the first month.

    Go play Rome 1 and compare this one. AI-vise, Battle Speed and such. And no mods please.

    http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/40972-Campaign-AI-only-game-modded
    My Current Rome : Total War Campaign.... check out those pictures xD
    I modded all Factions to Religious Smith in behavior... that is all that is modded.
  • TytosTytos Banned Posts: 116Banned Users
    edited September 2013
    No, the game design is basically flawed, you can patch and mod some small things to improve the vanilla gameplay but it's very doubtful that CA will increase the complexity, bring back guard-mode etc. to not scare of the "3min battles are too long casuals" and mods can't fix big stuff as it is frickin hard to mod with this engine.
    2qjzhxi.jpg

    Rome 2 battle gameplay
  • KruniacZioKruniacZio Banned Posts: 147Banned Users
    edited September 2013
    mijofl wrote: »
    I realize that the game truly is an unfinished beta excuse for a finished game, and I understand why most are upset with CA for this. However I don't understand why people are swearing off the game already. I think after a couple months (mabye 3-4) this will be a great game and perhaps the best total war yet. Once these issues are dealt with by patches from CA and mods, which are both already present with more to come, This game will meet all the expectations we had for it and more. What does everyone else think?

    Nice passive aggressiveness. It's not "truly an unfinished beta excuse blahblah". You're overplaying the situation.
  • dragonlightdragonlight Senior Member Posts: 2,840Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Tytos wrote: »
    No, the game design is basically flawed, you can patch and mod some small things to improve the vanilla gameplay but it's very doubtful that CA will increase the complexity, bring back guard-mode etc. to not scare of the "3min battles are too long casuals" and mods can't fix big stuff as it is frickin hard to mod with this engine.

    stop with 3 min meme . 99% of my fight are 9-15min. 1% 5 min because the enemy has like 5 units . I am freaking sick of you people that probably show few youtube videos and now just generalizing everything !
    "Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted by nature to bear."

    "Festina lente" (Make haste slowly)

    My mini beast PC :

    AMD FX 6120 6 core 3.5 Ghz
    10gb Ram
    EVGA GeForce GTX 770 SC
  • doriasvegadoriasvega Banned Posts: 390Banned Users
    edited September 2013
    Rome 2 > Rome 1

    Rome 1 Vanilla was horrible and nostalgia has clouded your mind.
  • ShuxShux Junior Member Posts: 7Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    mijofl wrote: »
    I realize that the game truly is an unfinished beta excuse for a finished game, and I understand why most are upset with CA for this. However I don't understand why people are swearing off the game already. I think after a couple months (mabye 3-4) this will be a great game and perhaps the best total war yet. Once these issues are dealt with by patches from CA and mods, which are both already present with more to come, This game will meet all the expectations we had for it and more. What does everyone else think?

    You are part of the problem. I loved CA, even bought the Collectors Edition of Rome 2 at 9am and had to wait till 5pm that day just to install based on the stupid world release which now looks like they did that to stop the bad press leaking out early. Besides the balance and tec issues, there are huge core problems with this game. So I paid double the price of a normal game that I will now need to wait 6 months for before the game is "finished". At that point the game will probably have a half price steam sale.

    Usually I would have faith in the Modding community to fix most of the stupid problems that CA made themselves, but this time I don't think mods can fix the issues related to how poor the actual core gameplay is.

    CA has somehow managed to make the biggest sequel in their history worse than anything they have made before. Rome 1 plays much better in every area besides updated graphics. They could have paid some of the modders of Rome 1 and just released it again with updated gameplay and it would have been a lot better than this current joke of a game.
  • doriasvegadoriasvega Banned Posts: 390Banned Users
    edited September 2013
    Shux wrote: »
    You are part of the problem. I loved CA, even bought the Collectors Edition of Rome 2 at 9am and had to wait till 5pm that day just to install based on the stupid world release which now looks like they did that to stop the bad press leaking out early. Besides the balance and tec issues, there are huge core problems with this game. So I paid double the price of a normal game that I will now need to wait 6 months for before the game is "finished". At that point the game will probably have a half price steam sale.

    Usually I would have faith in the Modding community to fix most of the stupid problems that CA made themselves, but this time I don't think mods can fix the issues related to how poor the actual core gameplay is.

    CA has somehow managed to make the biggest sequel in their history worse than anything they have made before. Rome 1 plays much better in every area besides updated graphics. They could have paid some of the modders of Rome 1 and just released it again with updated gameplay and it would have been a lot better than this current joke of a game.

    In what way is Rome 1 better?
  • reidster338reidster338 Member Posts: 48Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    doriasvega wrote: »
    Rome 2 > Rome 1

    Rome 1 Vanilla was horrible and nostalgia has clouded your mind.

    For it's time it was incredible. What clouds their minds is change. The simplest of things, like the removal of the family tree or a more streamlined diplomacy setup, really turn people off because they aren't used to it.

    However, once the A.I. and graphics issues are fixed, the game will be loved by many.
  • ILSATSILSATS Junior Member Posts: 26Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    mijofl wrote: »
    I realize that the game truly is an unfinished beta excuse for a finished game, and I understand why most are upset with CA for this. However I don't understand why people are swearing off the game already. I think after a couple months (mabye 3-4) this will be a great game and perhaps the best total war yet. Once these issues are dealt with by patches from CA and mods, which are both already present with more to come, This game will meet all the expectations we had for it and more. What does everyone else think?

    Yes, after 3-4 months, maybe it will become a great game. As of now, it deserves all the swearing and stuff. How can you not understand this ?
  • ShuxShux Junior Member Posts: 7Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Karmine wrote: »

    Go play Rome 1 and compare this one. AI-vise, Battle Speed and such. And no mods please.

    Why on earth would be compare this game to Vanilla Rome 1 from 10 years ago?

    Are you implying that CA are a bunch of Special Needs students unable to improve upon their coding or idea's over a 10 year period?

    You have no logic.
  • doriasvegadoriasvega Banned Posts: 390Banned Users
    edited September 2013
    ILSATS wrote: »
    Yes, after 3-4 months, maybe it will become a great game. As of now, it deserves all the swearing and stuff. How can you not understand this ?

    lol it's just funny how most of the people complaining here and swearing they'll never buy another CA game will go back on their words

    i saw this stuff with Empire and I will see it again
  • TytosTytos Banned Posts: 116Banned Users
    edited September 2013
    stop with 3 min meme . 99% of my fight are 9-15min. 1% 5 min because the enemy has like 5 units . I am freaking sick of you people that probably show few youtube videos and now just generalizing everything !

    Then you must be either trolling or be really really bad at the game, I have yet to see a 6min+ battle in SP and my longest MP battle lasted for 13min (40 vs 40 units).
    2qjzhxi.jpg

    Rome 2 battle gameplay
  • wongtpwongtp Senior Member Posts: 243Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    fix the fundementals and it will be a legend. even with all bugfest, i must be honest, i really like the tone, setting and the way it was presented. i find myself going back playing more everytime.

    however, this doesnt mean i accept CA's terrible release. gameplay wise, flags are **** because AI is ****. i think it makes alot of sense to protect a flag when engaged in forced march.
  • ShuxShux Junior Member Posts: 7Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    doriasvega wrote: »
    In what way is Rome 1 better?


    Units hold formation.

    Rome has Archers.

    Skirmisher/Slingers don't do more damage to Testudo units than units on charge/approach.

    You can run down retreating units and kill them instead of your units stopping and cheering at them and escorting them out of the map.


    oh and NO FLAGS IN OPEN FIELD BATTLES



    How many points do you want?
  • ILSATSILSATS Junior Member Posts: 26Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    ol it's just funny how most of the people complaining here and swearing they'll never buy another CA game will go back on their words

    i saw this stuff with Empire and I will see it again
    lol it's just funny how so many people here still saying all the ****s happening with our games are not CA's fault, and instead we should feel good because CA gave us "WONDERFUL" products that we paid for.
    I saw this stuff with Empire and I am seeing it again.
  • dragonlightdragonlight Senior Member Posts: 2,840Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Tytos wrote: »
    Then you must be either trolling or be really really bad at the game, I have yet to see a 6min+ battle in SP and my longest MP battle lasted for 13min (40 vs 40 units).

    I am not bad. this just the time I get below . Its just what happen . No idea but my battles last 9-15min all the time. I very enjoying the time it takes. Also the AI units fight vs me and not run away. I don't know why you get 3 min.

    I had a fight 20 vs 36 took over 15min. I probably should put pics next time to show you all.

    I will start take pic of every results of my battles.
    "Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted by nature to bear."

    "Festina lente" (Make haste slowly)

    My mini beast PC :

    AMD FX 6120 6 core 3.5 Ghz
    10gb Ram
    EVGA GeForce GTX 770 SC
  • KarmineKarmine Senior Member Posts: 615Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Shux wrote: »
    Why on earth would be compare this game to Vanilla Rome 1 from 10 years ago?

    Are you implying that CA are a bunch of Special Needs students unable to improve upon their coding or idea's over a 10 year period?

    You have no logic.

    I just like to compare this game to their previous works such as Medieval II and Rome, you know the games where they had large scale battles with swords and bows. Shogun 2 doesn't count as much because their battle is different.

    And if you think games have improved insanely last 10 years you are wrong. Go study games better, check their coding how things work and such. Specially when it comes to AI and a non cheating AI. Seeing through Fog of War is cheating.

    http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/40972-Campaign-AI-only-game-modded
    My Current Rome : Total War Campaign.... check out those pictures xD
    I modded all Factions to Religious Smith in behavior... that is all that is modded.
  • MidgetsmasherMidgetsmasher Senior Member Posts: 292Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    The fact that Rome 1 can still compete with this game from 10 years ago really shows something.
    I eat small metal objects.
  • ChipMHazardChipMHazard Member Posts: 79Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Of course the game will become great given enough time and effort on CA's and the modders part, unless it becomes like Empire and CA abandons the game. Seems very unlikely and let's just hope that it doesn't en up happening.
  • gqarz1gqarz1 Member Posts: 66Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    I have had this game hang on my once and CTD once. Other than that, the game works perfectly for me. I really only have two complaints about the game.

    1. Turns take FOREVER
    2. The AI is stupid both campaign and battle. Example: I am invading Carthage..... I land a legion on the shores. ... the Carthaginian army runs into the hills.... What could have been a long, slugfest turned into a cakewalk.

    Also, the AI players need to start absorbing others and forming federations. This will cut down on turn time as the insane number of factions will slowly pare down to just 12-18. Otherwise, the player faction will become unbeatable after it reaches a certain size.
  • doriasvegadoriasvega Banned Posts: 390Banned Users
    edited September 2013
    Rome 1 doesn't compare to Rome 2 at all. Rome 1 has been in development forever after launch and many of you did not play it when it first released. Stop talking like you knew what it was like at launch. It was a great game for its time but its mechanics are outdated. It only lasted so long because of the modding community.
  • KarmineKarmine Senior Member Posts: 615Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Have you guys tried to fight the AI in Starcraft 2 ? You can easily bug it. I am still waiting for most advertised features for SimCity.
    SimCity was unplayable for two weeks and longer for some people.

    You people just had too big hopes of imaginary things that would be added through mods slowly they always are. Only few people like to play Non-Modded Total War games.

    Personally I don't want longer battles, I am already fast forwarding through it all, takes forever.
    I am sorry, but I got limited amount of time for games and I want to win the Campaign asap on Legendary and don't want to waste all my time in the battles because people don't know which end of the sword to poke the enemy with.

    http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/40972-Campaign-AI-only-game-modded
    My Current Rome : Total War Campaign.... check out those pictures xD
    I modded all Factions to Religious Smith in behavior... that is all that is modded.
  • BendakBendak Senior Member Posts: 239Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    doriasvega wrote: »
    Rome 1 doesn't compare to Rome 2 at all. Rome 1 has been in development forever after launch and many of you did not play it when it first released. Stop talking like you knew what it was like at launch. It was a great game for its time but its mechanics are outdated. It only lasted so long because of the modding community.

    The battles in Rome 2 could use some of those mechanics I think
  • doriasvegadoriasvega Banned Posts: 390Banned Users
    edited September 2013
    Bendak wrote: »
    The battles in Rome 2 could use some of those mechanics I think

    Please do tell, and don't give me family tree.
  • TroasTroas Senior Member Posts: 226Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    doriasvega wrote: »
    Please do tell, and don't give me family tree.
    Battles that don't turn into a blob and last more than 4 minutes would be a nice start....

    And a UI that makes sense and is not frustrating to use too....
  • doriasvegadoriasvega Banned Posts: 390Banned Users
    edited September 2013
    Troas wrote: »
    Battles that don't turn into a blob and last more than 4 minutes would be a nice start....

    And a UI that makes sense and is not frustrating to use too....

    Have phalanx. It's not a blob.

    How is the UI frustrating?
  • BendakBendak Senior Member Posts: 239Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    doriasvega wrote: »
    Please do tell, and don't give me family tree.

    Controlling when your melee infantry could throw their javelins

    Units automatically pursue the enemy they have routed instead of cheering

    Units Maintained their formations in guard mode

    Guard mode kept your men alive longer because they fought defensively(this allowed you time to react unlike this game)

    No silly magic buffs

    AI armies didn't field 70% plus skirmisher troops in their armies

    Less intrusive interface

    Simpler to use keybinds(F key for phalanx,warcry etc)

    Stamina management of your units actually mattered

    No broken capture point system in field battles

    Simpler to kill routing enemies

    Generals weren't buff spamming units

    Loose/tight formation to reduce casualties from missiles/artillery

    Testudo formation actually kept your men alive

    Lastly, the game was hard to put down because you always kept saying to yourself "just one more turn". Rome 2 makes you afraid of the end turn button
«1
Sign In or Register to comment.