Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Unit textures?

AcelondonerAcelondoner MemberPosts: 31Registered Users
edited April 2011 in Total War: Shogun 2
I have texture detail and unit detail both on high but the units look really poor textures...
Does your units look like mine or is there something wrong my end?

SCREENSHOT
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198013529294/screenshot/577790014952400260?tab=private

View full size to see what I mean.
Post edited by Acelondoner on

Comments

• GrudgeNLGrudgeNL Senior Member Posts: 7,078Registered Users, Cakes!
    edited February 2011
    Well everyone has the low textures horses. The textures of your soldiers are indeed really low for high settings.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/GrudgeNL/screenshot/541761217945278443?tab=public

I have unit detail texture on ultra though
    Grudge's Mods
    Total War: Karling - Coming soon...-ish
    Grudge's Total War: Attila - Sassanid UI skin here on the Steam Workshop
  • AcelondonerAcelondoner Member Posts: 31Registered Users
    edited February 2011
    Your units textures look alot better than my unit textures (men not horses). My men look like the horses, all the textures are all smudgy and just look wrong. Also, the men seem to have no eyeballs for some reason. Are these textures going to be the same as the ones shipped with the full game or are these stripped down demo textures?
    edited February 2011
    Your units textures look alot better than my unit textures (men not horses). My men look like the horses, all the textures are all smudgy and just look wrong. Also, the men seem to have no eyeballs for some reason. Are these textures going to be the same as the ones shipped with the full game or are these stripped down demo textures?

First of all, the latest screenshots indicate that horse textures indeed look better than in the demo.

About the unit texture, they shoudn't be this low. From the looks of it, it looks like your shader model is on: Shader model 3 (low)
    If it's possible, try change it to Shader model 3 ( high).

If it's already on high, then I really don't know why your infantry get medium textures and detail.
    Grudge's Mods
  • Banzaileader123Banzaileader123 Senior Member Posts: 175Registered Users
    edited February 2011
    Does the game select what options your computer can handle automatically? Because there is no "Ultra" unit detail setting for me, only high, yet I hear people talk about ultra detail etc
    edited February 2011
    Does the game select what options your computer can handle automatically? Because there is no "Ultra" unit detail setting for me, only high, yet I hear people talk about ultra detail etc

I have ultra. I might be wrong though but everyone that says: I have no ultra settings options, are people with Nvidea cards. So whats ur videocard ?

I have an ATI Radeon HD btw.
    Grudge's Mods
    edited February 2011
    GrudgeNL wrote: »
    First of all, the latest screenshots indicate that horse textures indeed look better than in the demo.

About the unit texture, they shoudn't be this low. From the looks of it, it looks like your shader model is on: Shader model 3 (low)
    If it's possible, try change it to Shader model 3 ( high).

If it's already on high, then I really don't know why your infantry get medium textures and detail.

Hmm, I have it set to shader model 3 (high). Strange...

EDIT: Regarding the ultra setting thing. I also have no ultra settings, only high. I have an Nvidia card as well.
    edited February 2011
    Hmm, I have it set to shader model 3 (high). Strange...

So, did you just changed the shader model to high or was it already on high ?
    Grudge's Mods
    edited February 2011
    It was already on high.
  • Banzaileader123Banzaileader123 Senior Member Posts: 175Registered Users
    edited February 2011
    I have ultra. I might be wrong though but everyone that says: I have no ultra settings options, are people with Nvidea cards. So whats ur videocard ?

I have an ATI Radeon HD btw.
    I have an Nividea 9500 GT, I believe
  • WillTheOnlyWillTheOnly Junior Member Posts: 20Registered Users
    edited February 2011
    There is no ultra for me too... I guess all nvidia owners recieved the bad end of this deal.
    edited February 2011
    There is no ultra for me too... I guess all nvidia owners recieved the bad end of this deal.

Just wait for the full version. I bet it will have ultra for nvidea users too. otherwise it would be a massive failure since most TW games use Nvidea.
    Grudge's Mods
  • BBKenshinBBKenshin Member Posts: 93Registered Users
    edited February 2011
    I have an Nividea 9500 GT, I believe

I have the same card and all my settings where auto detected on ultra and I have ultra settings available, so I don't think its a card issue.
  • skrzskrz Senior Member Posts: 127Registered Users
    edited February 2011
    Grudge I also have ATI Radeon HD and no ultra high :)) Nah but my horses don't look like that though :D
    edited February 2011
    skrz wrote: »
    Grudge I also have ATI Radeon HD and no ultra high :)) Nah but my horses don't look like that though :D

I suppose there is something horribly wrong with the the demo then xD So many memory leaks and textures being lower quality than it's supposed to be :P
    Grudge's Mods
  • skullman86skullman86 Senior Member Posts: 208Registered Users
    edited February 2011
    What operating system are you using? Ultra is more than likely reserved for DX10+ compliant OS and cards.
  • NaishoNaisho Senior Member USAPosts: 3,375Registered Users
    edited February 2011
    Here is my demo,

infantry
    http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198006840859/screenshot/595804413471736273?tab=public

horses
    http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198006840859/screenshot/595804413471734351?tab=all

You know I had always wondered why people were complaining about poor graphics now I know why lol
    1---/\__/\
    1=(O-"-O)=/\
    1--- / | | \--/ -|
    1---| \-/ \-_ /
    1--( Neko )

Naisho the Neko

"You have raised assorted issues under what might be termed a “I-don’t-like-it because-I-say-it’s-not-historical” banner. This isn't quite the same as "justified", I'm sorry to say." -MikeB
    edited February 2011
    Naisho wrote: »
    Here is my demo,

infantry
    http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198006840859/screenshot/595804413471736273?tab=public

horses
    http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198006840859/screenshot/595804413471734351?tab=all

You know I had always wondered why people were complaining about poor graphics now I know why lol

Your horses have more detailed textures than mine and im running on ultra :(
    Grudge's Mods
    edited February 2011
    I think its a limitation related to your water texture that isn't showing up either, I am running everything on ultra.
    1---/\__/\
    1=(O-"-O)=/\
    1--- / | | \--/ -|
    1---| \-/ \-_ /
    1--( Neko )

Naisho the Neko

"You have raised assorted issues under what might be termed a “I-don’t-like-it because-I-say-it’s-not-historical” banner. This isn't quite the same as "justified", I'm sorry to say." -MikeB
  • BBKenshinBBKenshin Member Posts: 93Registered Users
    edited February 2011
    I am using Vista home premium 64 bit
    nvidia 9500gt
    I get ultra settings, although they do not look as good as I would expect ultra to look (or even quite as good as napoleon runs on my pc) I am guessing this will change with the full game with AA and directX 11.
  • MrMaya1821MrMaya1821 Senior Member Posts: 246Registered Users
    edited February 2011
    Very strange, maybe you need graphics upgrade? idk
    [PORTABLE-ID]mrmaya1821[/PORTABLE-ID]

JOIN MY TAKEDA CLAN! http://steamcommunity.com/groups/shogunofjapan
    Proud Leader of The Takeda Clan (TTC)

風 Swift as the wind
    林 Quiet as the forest
    火 Conquer like the fire
    山 Steady as the mountain
    edited February 2011
    Naisho wrote: »
    I think its a limitation related to your water texture that isn't showing up either, I am running everything on ultra.

No not at all! Recently my water textures returned :D Idk how, since I didnt changed driver version. Neither did the first shogun 2 update fixed it.
    Grudge's Mods
    edited February 2011
    Why dont you check this, alot of drivers have the ability to "force" applications to do things, why dont you turn it all to application controlled. It actually might fix a few people's problems. I remember I had to do this when I first got my graphics card.
    1---/\__/\
    1=(O-"-O)=/\
    1--- / | | \--/ -|
    1---| \-/ \-_ /
    1--( Neko )

Naisho the Neko

• NorthAmericanHippocampusNorthAmericanHippocampus Member Posts: 31Registered Users
    edited February 2011
    I'm using an nvidia 9600 GT and I don't get ultra settings either.
    All that begins must end.
  • Tablis16Tablis16 Junior Member Posts: 29Registered Users
    edited February 2011
    It seems that the people who don't have ultra settings need better graphic cards. Also, this game should be running better on Radeons because it is optimised for them( the previous TW games were optimised for Nvidia cards).
  • RumpullpusRumpullpus Senior Member Posts: 1,216Registered Users
    edited February 2011
    I have texture detail and unit detail both on high but the units look really poor textures...
    Does your units look like mine or is there something wrong my end?

SCREENSHOT
    http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198013529294/screenshot/577790014952400260?tab=private

View full size to see what I mean.

yup looks like my units too. pritty poor for high settings.
    i got my shader on high everything on high. hope its just the demo
    ATI4870 card
    edited February 2011
    Rumpullpus wrote: »
    yup looks like my units too. pritty poor for high settings.
    i got my shader on high everything on high. hope its just the demo
    ATI4870 card

Do remember the demo only runs on DX 9.
    Grudge's Mods
  • RumpullpusRumpullpus Senior Member Posts: 1,216Registered Users
    edited February 2011
    ah that might be the reason then, but then wouldnt everyone have the same blurry looking textures?
  • RobCivicCRXRobCivicCRX Member Posts: 85Registered Users
    edited February 2011
    It has nothing to do with Nvidia cards my GTX460 has all ultra options available, I think its just the older cards being limited I would guess, which you can overide the same way as people did napoleon I have read.
  • HelioconHeliocon Senior Member Posts: 190Registered Users
    edited February 2011

Whats your settings? Does it look like that when you zoom out alittle? It could be due to the LOD distance/sprites.
    edited February 2011
    My setting are all high/medium (All unit detail stuff and shaders on high). Even when I zoom out a little, they still look as bad.