Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Stupid Egyptians

Lucius BrutusLucius Brutus Senior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 889
edited September 2011 in Rome: Total War
Like as Greece is tough. Right now I have just (barely) finished off Macedon, the Scipii and Brutii are breathing down my neck while Pontus and (to a lesser extent) the Seleucids are attacking my cities.
I look over my world and I find a little surprise, a quarter-stack force of Egyptians has landed on Rhodes, which is defended by a 3/4 stack. So I destroy their ships and slaughter the Egyptians.
Five turns later, I find another, lesser, stack of Egyptians, in the exact same spot. I use the same strategy to wipe out that army, then 7 turns later, I find a half-stack, Faction Heir-lead force of Egyptians landed on the coast. Made up of mostly cavalry... Against my 3/4 stack of archers and hoplites... (not even chariots too.) I win easily. Now Egypt is attacking a fourth time with a barely visible force of two Nubian Spearmen.

It's nice entertainment, but it's getting kinda annoying, and my plate is full with the Pontics and Seleucids right now. Not to mention the Brutii are preparing to charge into Greece, this isn't really a thread asking for advice, just me telling you about how stupid one of the best factions can be.

When has any faction been a total idiot to you?
Post edited by Lucius Brutus on

Comments

• Galvanized IronGalvanized Iron Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,058
    edited February 2011
    Perhaps the AI is feigning weakness by sending small armies on suicide missions, don't fall for it :)
    |Sith|Lord|Galvanized Iron
  • Lucius BrutusLucius Brutus Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 889
    edited February 2011
    Perhaps the AI is feigning weakness by sending small armies on suicide missions, don't fall for it :)
    Yeh, I am a little busy fighting off three armies, so I wouldn't be able to attack even if I wanted.

Then again... Cyprus looks tempting...
    edited February 2011
    Then again, he did send the faction heir on one of the missions, so that's quite suspi.cious...

The King hated his son?
  • DalkarDalkar Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 359
    edited February 2011
    I kill almost all of my generals because they become either corrupt or mad.
    I just send them charging into a convienient troop of spearmen, swords flashing and victory in their hearts.
    It amuses me to watch fat lazy useless "generals" with -5 command die horribly.
    Also the stupidest AI thing I've seen: I was playing as the Julii and the Scipii(my allies) took an empty fort while I was the strongest faction and marching full stacks across their land to attack Carthage.
  • Dionysius the MightyDionysius the Mighty Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,194
    edited February 2011
    Funny, I usually find Egypt to be the single most powerful non Roman faction in the game. They tend to carve up the entire Middle East and sweep all before them, especially the unfortunate Seleucids. I actually modded the game to nerf them a bit since I got tired of every late game campaign being against the Egyptians. They are the Maratha Confederacy of Rome Total War. :p
    [PORTABLE-ID]dionysiusthemighty[/PORTABLE-ID]

"Every position must be held to the last man: there must be no retirement. With our backs to the wall and believing in the justice of our cause each one of us must fight on to the end." ~ Field Marshal Haig, order to British troops, 1918

Please view the Total War Forum: Terms and Conditions
    edited February 2011
    Funny, I usually find Egypt to be the single most powerful non Roman faction in the game. They tend to carve up the entire Middle East and sweep all before them, especially the unfortunate Seleucids. I actually modded the game to nerf them a bit since I got tired of every late game campaign being against the Egyptians. They are the Maratha Confederacy of Rome Total War. :p
    This is on easy (the difficulty I use to get more factions, trying to use Greece to get Seleucids) so that may explain it.
  • flamingryu30flamingryu30 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 884
    edited February 2011
    I have had an invading army of thrace break through my gates only to somehow get the ram stuck in the center of the gateway only allowing them to get about 2 guys through at a time which really helped out my defense force of 3 town watch units and well they had a lot of troops and I got a heroic victory all thanks to the stupidity of thrace XD also the scipii decided to attack the carthage controlled city on sicily and their army was doing the little thing wit their sword on the map like always but faced the opposite way so when I saw that i couldnt help but have a big smile crack up my face i mean thats just bad XD
    edited February 2011
    I have had an invading army of thrace break through my gates only to somehow get the ram stuck in the center of the gateway only allowing them to get about 2 guys through at a time which really helped out my defense force of 3 town watch units and well they had a lot of troops and I got a heroic victory all thanks to the stupidity of thrace
    Amazing,
    also the scipii decided to attack the carthage controlled city on sicily and their army was doing the little thing wit their sword on the map like always but faced the opposite way so when I saw that i couldnt help but have a big smile crack up my face i mean thats just bad XD
    Maybe he's calling for a retreat?
    edited February 2011
    we never will know because the scipii's attacking army was crushed in a fail attack in the next turn not sure how but I mean it's pretty bad
  • Hannibal BarcaHannibal Barca Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 811
    edited February 2011
    The Ai isn't exactly intelligent, a favoured tactic of the weaker factions is to assault your cities with feeble armies that couldn't take on a 1/4 of the garrison in a field battle. The main culprits are Numidia or the Dacian's and thier dreaded god heir...
    edited March 2011
    The Ai isn't exactly intelligent, a favoured tactic of the weaker factions is to assault your cities with feeble armies that couldn't take on a 1/4 of the garrison in a field battle. The main culprits are Numidia or the Dacian's and thier dreaded god heir...
    Ah yes, like that time they used a quarter-stack army to attack my full-stacked Carthage... good times... :)
    edited March 2011
    ya one time i had a unit of ballistas attack my city ya one but the worst part was all they had was 2 guys so they couldnt even shoot the bolts so i just sat there and saw wat theyd do and they charged my archers needless to say one volley took em out hehe worst attempt at an assault ive ever seen in my life
    edited March 2011
    ya one time i had a unit of ballistas attack my city ya one but the worst part was all they had was 2 guys so they couldnt even shoot the bolts so i just sat there and saw wat theyd do and they charged my archers needless to say one volley took em out hehe worst attempt at an assault ive ever seen in my life
    Not going to lie, I had to decipher that but when I did I lol'd. That's awesome! :)
    edited March 2011
  • Hannibal BarcaHannibal Barca Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 811
    edited March 2011
    Well atleast the ai Dont spam heavily upgraded cataphracts!...yes I did just lose a game because of them but thats not the point!
  • DalkarDalkar Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 359
    edited March 2011
    I had a whole army of Triarii when I went against Parthia. Roman cavalry gets nailed by the Parthians so I didn't bother with it
    edited March 2011
    im just gonna show a point where the ai used ... excessive force, by that i mean spain was my ally and my best none roman ally at that me being the julii and having military access in their lands and well the spanish decided that they were gonna attack me while my army was continuing its conquest of gaul and my army was away so they invaded and attack my city that had 2 barbarian mercenaries as its garrison and nothing else due to distance from my cities with enough pop to make troops and its own lack of pop well they attacked with a 7 star general and a army half full of iberians and skirmishers with the other half being BULL WARRIORS that was the most bs thing ever i mean a half army of just bull warriors? it was rediculous and i got slaughtered but at least took a third of them with me and now i just brought in the other army gaius manius reformed stuff so im making a few invasion armies and i just took back my city with half the land of the territory being burned black from the fighting so ya and they keep coming with more and more... finally a challenge hehe
  • MarcoParzaMarcoParza Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 22
    edited March 2011
    I am playing as Carthage and full Britannia armies are attacking me every turn , and get crushed, in Central Gaul i have about 4 Sites of Great Battles, where they were crushed and my casualties no more then 10 men,and they keep attacking.

Spanish faction rejects peace although i besieged their only town and it has 2 turns to surrender.

:D

Egypt which i destroyed (had only 2 regions in Asia ), signs alliance with same Spain :D FAIL xD
  • CheChe Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 804
    edited March 2011
    I have had an invading army of thrace break through my gates only to somehow get the ram stuck in the center of the gateway only allowing them to get about 2 guys through at a time which really helped out my defense force of 3 town watch units and well they had a lot of troops and I got a heroic victory all thanks to the stupidity of thrace XD also the scipii decided to attack the carthage controlled city on sicily and their army was doing the little thing wit their sword on the map like always but faced the opposite way so when I saw that i couldnt help but have a big smile crack up my face i mean thats just bad XD

Heheheh :D Those are funnnnny! :D
    "You can learn more about a man in one hour of play, than in an entire year of conversation" - Plato

"Just because you don't take an interest in politics, doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you" - Pericles, 430BC

"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine" - Ernesto "Che" Guevara
    edited March 2011
    dont even get me started about egypt haha
  • KaiserKaiser Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 16
    edited July 2011
    Egypt gets run over by Rome in every battle.....
    Thats why i hate the house of Scipii way to easy there is no challenge.

Kaiser
    edited July 2011
    well there is a challenge with the scipii but from economy not enemies because with them you have to be able to make the long treks into africa and get your economy able to sustain yourself which is not always easy and then you must deal with the inferior but seemingly endless hordes of egyptians
  • FijiFiji Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 25
    edited July 2011
    Just the other day, I (Seleucids) took three Brutii cities in Greece (it's the Hellenic reconquista!!!) with full stacks each.
    Of course the Brutii counterattacked the next turn ... they tried to retake Tessalonica with ... 6 units ... all infantry.
    Well, at least my archers got some practice in.
    edited July 2011
    well there is a challenge with the scipii but from economy not enemies because with them you have to be able to make the long treks into africa and get your economy able to sustain yourself which is not always easy and then you must deal with the inferior but seemingly endless hordes of egyptians

True but thats not actually all that hard.
    At least i don't think so.

Kaiser
    edited July 2011
    im just sayin ive heard from almost everyone else comparing the 3 roman families say that about the scipii
    edited July 2011
    I have heard more people say the house of Julii is harder than Scipii due to the fact that you have to fight Briton, Gaul, Spain, and Germany (if they survive).

How dose Spain get so many troops anyways...

but back on topic Egypt is no challenge to fight against the only thing that keeps them alive is the mass amount of units they produce.
  • Great General WallaceGreat General Wallace Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 5
    edited September 2011
    MarcoParza wrote: »
    I am playing as Carthage and full Britannia armies are attacking me every turn , and get crushed, in Central Gaul i have about 4 Sites of Great Battles, where they were crushed and my casualties no more then 10 men,and they keep attacking.

Spanish faction rejects peace although i besieged their only town and it has 2 turns to surrender.

:D

Egypt which i destroyed (had only 2 regions in Asia ), signs alliance with same Spain :D FAIL xD
    That reminds me of a Hun campaign I did in BI. I had about 5 Great Battles where I used a group of 4 units of steppe horde archers and defeated full stacks. yay for Cantabrian circle spam.
    necro-posting for the win
    Ride now!... Ride now!... Ride! Ride to ruin and the world's ending!
  • Napoleon 2ndNapoleon 2nd Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,151
    edited September 2011
    Egypt can walk over Hastati and Princepes. With their amazing pre marian army. But after the reforms (like everyone) they are toast....
    'It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent. It is the ones who are the most adaptable to change' Charles Darwin

But I have a thing for cannon...
  • LiamLiam Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 110
    edited September 2011
    Don't travel there! They are trying to lure you out by the looks of it, do not fall for it. Your right though, one of the best and they send suicide missions? STRANGE!
    Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war' - Shakespeare: Julius Caesar, III, 1

GOOD GUIDES FOR BEGINNERS!
    http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?45315-Quietus-Rome-Total-War-Guide
    http://http://rtw.heavengames.com/rtw/strategy/index.shtml

A REALLY GOOD REVIEW FOR ROME: TOTAL WAR IF YOU ARE THINKING OF BUYING THIS!
    http://http://uk.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/rometotalwar/review.html
  • ChaosspreaderChaosspreader Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2
    edited March 10
    "When has any faction been a total idiot to you?"
    When playing Medieval 2 total war crusades campaign (very hard battle and campaign) against the kingdom of jerusalem I have seen way more stupid actions.
    these guys will 100% of the time leave their biggest most poweful armies in the midst of war outside their cities far my armies or any opposing armies so I would take their cities and they will start moving their armies to retake their cities turns later (their armies were close to their fallen cities).
    I was once sieging one their most profitable, developped city when their heir had this brilliand idea of attacking the most underdevelopped settlement I had, instead of saving his city with a 95% Heavy cavalary army.all what I had to do was to place my heavy spearmen in front of the gates which later became a carnage,and on the walls.Letting my light cavalry capture their
    routing (from spearmen) knights was a delice .Still they continued sending 100% heavy cavalry armies to my heavy spearmen in the upcoming battles.

They also gave their 100% unskilled generals their heaviest cavalry army.while their new king got a cheaper 100% swordsmen army.