Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Notebooks

2»

Comments

• AlJabberwockAlJabberwock Moderator USAPosts: 7,729Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights
    edited March 2011
    LOL, cost efficacy in laptop use revealed above. For me its convenient, until it doesn't do what you want. Its cheap unless you consider performance part of its value-cost.

Al <
    Considers _any_ money spent on Laptops akin to renting...

Scrunch the money up into a ball, pull out a match, light it on fire and throw it out the window. (Shire, you may be able to light your entire house (flat) on fire). Hope you're renting ;) (LOL)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Every so often things happen that can’t be rationalized in a conventional way. People wanna know their government has a response. I am that response.”
    ― Kent Mansley (in "Iron Giant")

For most general problems, for which you have no idea of the culprit, your first port of call should be:
    https://support.sega.co.uk/hc/en-us/categories/200307381-Total-War-Support

If you are aware of a bug or a specific issue for which you know the cause, post in the support section for the specific title on our forums. ~Al

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
  • SystemSystem Posts: 7,096
    edited March 2011
    Yay my laptop just reached a new temperature high +98C

and it didn't turn itself off ;)
  • daelin4daelin4 Senior Member Posts: 16,223Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    but bearing in mind the extremely heavy use mine will be going through cheap and cheerful is probably the best way to go.

Actually on the contrary, I recommend the opposite. I had an HP about four years ago, and it was absolute hell to put in simple terms. Bought it for cheap (wasn't really cheap in its day but it was definitely low-end), and it was trouble since day one. Hard drive, RAM, screen, power, and now the mousepad. When the hard drive konked out, SATA drives were already in voge, and since it was IDE I figured it was time to move on rather than spend money just to scrimped a few bucks. Now I have my ASUS and its served me well in comparison. Said HP still works but its got zero battery life, mousepad doesn't work, and very slow. I got what I paid for, and I went cheap. The ASUS was a complete contrast, even though it was the mid-level range of laptops. And my use of computers are what I'd call "extremely heavy" and demanding, and the HP failed to deliver. Cheap laptops are built for that purpose: they're cheap in quality as well, and meant for short-term, and unless you never use the battery or do little other than surf and Word, they'll wear out and die out soon enough. In my experience, just buying cheap after cheap will add up more money, as well as just give you painful memories. Its just not worth the momentary feeling of having saved some money. The ASUS I have costed 1400, and still gives me enjoyment. That's only like 300-400 more than my HP when I bought it. After about 2-3 years of constant slow, I had enough. Not one moment do I regret buying another laptop when my HP was still capable of "running". I just reformatted my laptop, and it feels almost just as new as it was when I got it.

SO TLDR, money= investment; and cheap =/ long lifespan. All the waiting for warranty fix and trying to maximize a sluggish processor was not worth the few hundred saved. From what I;m reading, you seem to be the same type of user I am, and that warrants a much more future-proof computer; a computer that is expensive but will last through what you'll through at it.

Corrected action is the most sincere form of apology.
  • AlJabberwockAlJabberwock Moderator USAPosts: 7,729Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights
    edited March 2011
    Yay my laptop just reached a new temperature high +98C

and it didn't turn itself off ;)

OMFG! HOLY CHRISTMAS thats got to be past throttle depending where that is... is it Tcase or TJ? Its burning itself up, and I say it three times, it will not be running much longer.

I am Switzerland on this discussion of high versus low cost...laptops. Or perhaps I am more of an Atheist... ;)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Every so often things happen that can’t be rationalized in a conventional way. People wanna know their government has a response. I am that response.”

For most general problems, for which you have no idea of the culprit, your first port of call should be:

If you are aware of a bug or a specific issue for which you know the cause, post in the support section for the specific title on our forums. ~Al

edited March 2011
    Sound failed on it yesterday and even though I loaded the latest system restore save it wouldn't come back on so no music last night :(

Tonight I had to restart it 5 times before it would get past the boot up screen but at least the sound is working now however it's clearly getting more and more unstable litterally day by day so I might order a new one tonight.

Found a store selling the one I want at £30 cheaper than Ebuyer :)

http://www.simplyacer.com/Acer_Aspire_5741Z_988476.html
    edited March 2011
    daelin4 wrote: »
    Actually on the contrary, I recommend the opposite. I had an HP about four years ago, and it was absolute hell to put in simple terms. Bought it for cheap (wasn't really cheap in its day but it was definitely low-end), and it was trouble since day one. Hard drive, RAM, screen, power, and now the mousepad. When the hard drive konked out, SATA drives were already in voge, and since it was IDE I figured it was time to move on rather than spend money just to scrimped a few bucks. Now I have my ASUS and its served me well in comparison. Said HP still works but its got zero battery life, mousepad doesn't work, and very slow. I got what I paid for, and I went cheap. The ASUS was a complete contrast, even though it was the mid-level range of laptops. And my use of computers are what I'd call "extremely heavy" and demanding, and the HP failed to deliver. Cheap laptops are built for that purpose: they're cheap in quality as well, and meant for short-term, and unless you never use the battery or do little other than surf and Word, they'll wear out and die out soon enough. In my experience, just buying cheap after cheap will add up more money, as well as just give you painful memories. Its just not worth the momentary feeling of having saved some money. The ASUS I have costed 1400, and still gives me enjoyment. That's only like 300-400 more than my HP when I bought it. After about 2-3 years of constant slow, I had enough. Not one moment do I regret buying another laptop when my HP was still capable of "running". I just reformatted my laptop, and it feels almost just as new as it was when I got it.

SO TLDR, money= investment; and cheap =/ long lifespan. All the waiting for warranty fix and trying to maximize a sluggish processor was not worth the few hundred saved. From what I;m reading, you seem to be the same type of user I am, and that warrants a much more future-proof computer; a computer that is expensive but will last through what you'll through at it.

Is that also your main PC Daelin because I have a main PC at home and the laptop is just purely for entertainment at work. If I spent £1000 on a laptop and then a week later lost my job it would literally just sit in a cupboard rotting away unused.
  • daelin4daelin4 Senior Member Posts: 16,223Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    Ah didn't catch that. Its a lot more appealing to go cheaper when its a secondary computer, but its still good investment to try to squeeze some lifespan from your PC. My laptop is indeed my main PC, though I really thinking of spending a grand on sprucing my old desktop at home, just replace its guts with some modern technology. GPU, CPU, PSU, all that nonsense. Where're those techmods??
    Al! You're never around when I need you!

Corrected action is the most sincere form of apology.
    edited March 2011
    You need a new thread old man... ;)

In it, let us know the mobo model and manufacturer. Depending on which socket it is, we can see what CPUs would be worth the investment (if any) and probably suss the PCIe version. Keep in mind this is the Netbooks for Notebooks thread. Heh!

edited March 2011
    Yeah get out of my thread Daelin :p

Well after yet another night of no sound on my laptop (the audio output device failed the moment I tried to watch a clip on Youtube) I snapped and ordered the new one and because I've saved £30 by finding this new site, I treated myself to two new optical mouses and next day delivery which means I should get it in time for Wednesday night ;)

I'll let you know Wednesday if I've just made a huge mistake by ordering it from a budget website or not.
    edited March 2011
    OR if I steered you wrong by admitting you were talking to me, thereby forcnig myself to respond and allowing you to marionette me into pointing at bow 1, or box 2... LOL! Hope it works out, and let us know!

edited March 2011
    Yay got my new laptop today and it's so much bigger than my old one, it is Windows 7 64 bit however it looks almost identical to Windows Vista to me except that annoyingly it dosn't have Windows Mail which I had grown to like grrr.

It has a 60 day McAfee security trial included which I'm going to use up aand then I have a years subscripton to something called Bullguard internet security -anyone heard of this and is it any good?
  • PATRIOT45PATRIOT45 Senior Member SwitzerlandPosts: 686Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    It has a 60 day McAfee security trial included which I'm going to use up aand then I have a years subscripton to something called Bullguard internet security -anyone heard of this and is it any good?

Avira Antivir is probably the best free antivirus software (many german magazines recommend Avira Antivir). It's pretty simple and safe, I'd never pay for an antivirus software if there are such well working free anti virus softwares!

Edit: I haven't heard of Bullguard yet.
    Watch out: Arena is more addictive than cocaine! :p
    edited March 2011
    I generally use Ad aware for spam, Avast Antivirus for virus protection and Windows security for my firewall.
    edited March 2011
    Not familiar with Bullguard, that doesn't mean much as I don't go much out of my way for antivirus program or research.