Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

PSU and case question

beyndtstngbeyndtstng Junior MemberPosts: 12Registered Users
edited March 2011 in Technology
I'm going with the intel geek build described in the sticky (minus the second gtx 580). I was wondering what power supply and case I should go with. I would like to get a PSU that will support SLI when I decide to go that route. I would also like it to be capable of handling upgrades over the next 3 or 4 years.

As for a case I care more about performance (air flow) and ease of use versus aesthetics. I would like it to be moderately quiet as well but I'm willing to give up some noise for better air flow.

Basically I know nothing about power supplies and what to look for when purchasing one. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jim

As a side note do you need to buy a separate soundcard in order to enjoy the latest eax codecs for S2?
Post edited by beyndtstng on

Comments

• Maeda_ToshiieMaeda_Toshiie Senior Member SingaporePosts: 3,601Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    1. PSU: I assume you mean that $2500 system with Sandy Bridge i7 2600k. That 950W Corsair listed is fine, ie it is meant to be capable of powering a system with 2 top end graphic cards.

2. Casing: Any decently priced mid-tower (and full tower) casing (>$50) is capable of good airflow. The 2 keys to good air flows are
    a) Cable management
    b) Chassis fans.

Regarding cable managements: Modular PSUs are preferred because they help reduce cable clutter within the case. However, cable management is more than simply modular PSUs. It is something that can be learned from reading up articles on the Internet and trying out.

Regarding chassis fans: Most casings come a lesser number of chassis fans than the number of possible chassis fan mounts. You can get additional fans to help with cooling. Note that fans come in a number of varieties, in terms of speed and connection (and general quality).

Regarding noise: The major sources of noise in the computer are primarily high-speed, low diameter fans, usually stock CPU fans and graphic card fans. For the former, a 3rd party cooler can deal with it. For the latter, it is trickier.
    Total War Forums, the official forums of the Total War series:

Forum terms and conditions
    Technology Discussion Section
    How not to assemble a PC

Google-fu, the best skill in solving technical issues.

Faibo waipa!
  • beyndtstngbeyndtstng Junior Member Posts: 12Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    Great info. Is there a specific case you would recommend in the $100 range?
  • SanjuroSanjuro Senior Member U.K.Posts: 1,590Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    beyndtstng wrote: »
    Great info. Is there a specific case you would recommend in the $100 range?

Try the Antec Solo - not sure how much it costs in the US. I've got one, great case.
  • AlJabberwockAlJabberwock Moderator USAPosts: 7,729Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights
    edited March 2011
    Size Matters
    The more demanding a system may be for cooling, the more likley I am to choose a full tower case. This is especially true if I might have large cards (with emphasis if its plural!!). I would certainly agree that you want to do the best you can with cable management as it plays an important role with your airflow, and only costs your time and attention.

Maeda's right about cable management...
    A full tower case usually allows better cable management simply because there is more space to put things and more than one or two routes for cables to go behind the mobo plate.

As I have written elsewhere, I use the Antec 1200 or one of the Coolermaster Haf's like the 932when I have to put a lot of stuff in a box, liquid cooling, dual cards, Raids... that sort of thing. Or if someone wants one of those monstrous after-market coolers like a Monsoon or Boreas (Jeez those things are big!). They're more than $100, usually in the $150-160 range on Newegg. Another one in that range is the NZTX Phantom ($130-140 range, Newegg) which is pretty nifty. Evotuc used that on his most recent build and we will probably do another one in the next few weeks with that box, although this one will be all white! (We'll link a build video). There is a pretty good offering from Sentey in the $100 range called the Sentey Extreme Division. I don't own one, so I can't give direct experience, but other than the 'hinkey' led lights on the side fans and those fans probable interference with sensible airflow, its a solid, large case for cheap.

Fans
    There are a number of case makers who make good fans. Typically the better the case, and the more expensive, the better the fans. This is true of Antec and Coolermaster... although NZXT is a notable exception as I find their case fans are less than satisfactory, and often they are non-standard size or screw patterns. Larger, lower rotational fans are better for noise, and typically it is pretty antiquated to use an 80mm fan dor case cooling. For most cases, good after-market fans will fit witout incidence, so long as you get the right size. One of the better marks is "Scythe", with a huge variety and very good service records.

Air Flow
    While there are a number of opinions of what works better (net negative or net positive) for air flow, try to make it as balanced as possible, with a sensible, non-confused route. Simple is best: back to front or bottom to top. Anything introduced that is more complex is likely to reduce efficiency. Also avoid any hot air flows that go INTO the case (typically, graphic cards and PSUs are the potential main culprits). Don't worry about DB levels if you are typically using a headset, or tend to play battles all the time with the sound all the way up :) . Likewise, choose low DB fans if sound is an issue, and you can keep heat at bay with low flows...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Every so often things happen that can’t be rationalized in a conventional way. People wanna know their government has a response. I am that response.”
    ― Kent Mansley (in "Iron Giant")

For most general problems, for which you have no idea of the culprit, your first port of call should be:
    https://support.sega.co.uk/hc/en-us/categories/200307381-Total-War-Support

If you are aware of a bug or a specific issue for which you know the cause, post in the support section for the specific title on our forums. ~Al

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
  • Maeda_ToshiieMaeda_Toshiie Senior Member SingaporePosts: 3,601Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    120mm fans are the de facto standard fans on casings nowadays, supplanting the old 80mm from P4 days (I still have a number of them lying around).

Speaking of cooling, this is a little extreme...
    http://www.overclock.net/air-cooling/775305-300mm-fan-recommendation.html
    Total War Forums, the official forums of the Total War series:

Forum terms and conditions
    Technology Discussion Section
    How not to assemble a PC

Google-fu, the best skill in solving technical issues.

Faibo waipa!