Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Memory and motherboard question

beyndtstngbeyndtstng Junior MemberPosts: 12Registered Users
edited March 2011 in Technology
So I'm almost done with my build. I was wondering what sandy bridge motherboard you guys would recommend (once they are fixed)? I would like to do some moderate overclocking but nothing too serious. Also I thought I saw the i7 worked best when you used 3 sticks on memory. Is the same true for sandy bridge? Can I go wrong with g skill or crucial? What series would you recommend? Is 12gb overkill for games? Thanks for the help.

Jim
Post edited by beyndtstng on

Comments

• evotucevotuc Senior Member Posts: 983Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, the 1366 boards were made for triple channel memory. The new 1155 boards, (Sandy Bridge), on the other hand, use dual channels.

I have used both Gskill and Crucial. Both manufacturers have been good to me. There is an X-series Gskill which are supposedly optimized for Intel boards. Crucial makes the Ballistix Tracers, which I find to be completely awesome! Yeah, 12GB is way too much for games. I have yet to see a game, background applications and services take more than 4GB. So, 8GB is more than enough for now and leaves room in case a game comes out that uses more. The integrated memory controller in the i7-2600K is set for dual channels at 1333MHz.
    2% Club
    FX 8350
    Sabertooth 990FX
    8GB 1600 RAM
    AMD 7950
    How much more grievous are the consequences of anger than the causes of it?
  • evotucevotuc Senior Member Posts: 983Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    Here's what four sticks of Crucial Ballistix Tracers look like in action.
    2% Club
    FX 8350
    Sabertooth 990FX
    8GB 1600 RAM
    AMD 7950
    How much more grievous are the consequences of anger than the causes of it?
  • AlJabberwockAlJabberwock Moderator USAPosts: 7,729Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights
    edited March 2011
    Hey beyndtstng,

Other things to keep in mind when you purchase ram is to look at the compat boards the mfger may put up for ram modules that have been tested and passed for the board. Often these may not match what you want, but usually if you use a similar module form the same maker they tested, you are probably good. That said:

What you must do:
    1)Be certain you are trying to match the voltage recommended for the board. Sometimes it won't matter because the board will auto volt and time your ram to meet specs for the CPU and board components... and, sometimes it won't- and you'll get nonsense. So try to be good ;)
    2)You are using one of the recommended frequencies supported by the board. It will default set it to requency specs set by the CPU manufacturer, so you will have to overclock to reach the higher Speeds.
    3)Match sets of multiples of two modules, same manufacturer, timing, size, preferably purchased as sets.
    4)Look for lower CAS or latency modules for faster responsiveness/effective speed. You will pay more for these, and they are also likley to be the more twitchy when you are overclocking...
    5)If you get ones with shiny lights, use a self-timing shock therapy zapper to avoid mesmo-trancing. (And know you are paying more for a light show probably only you will see unless you keep bothering people online with it... (LMAO @ evotuc)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Every so often things happen that can’t be rationalized in a conventional way. People wanna know their government has a response. I am that response.”
    ― Kent Mansley (in "Iron Giant")

For most general problems, for which you have no idea of the culprit, your first port of call should be:
    https://support.sega.co.uk/hc/en-us/categories/200307381-Total-War-Support

If you are aware of a bug or a specific issue for which you know the cause, post in the support section for the specific title on our forums. ~Al

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
  • beyndtstngbeyndtstng Junior Member Posts: 12Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    Good information. So do I need to get DDR3 1600 or will 1333 be the optimal choice? Also what motherboard would you recommend for my system?

i7 2600k
    8 gb DDR 3
    580 gtx
    Corsair 1200 w professional
    Wd black 1 tb Sata 6.0
    Haf-X NVIDIA case
  • AlJabberwockAlJabberwock Moderator USAPosts: 7,729Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights
    edited March 2011
    If you ar egoing to overclock, you may want a higher speed. The highest speed that is supported per Intel Spec is 1333, so paying more for extra is wasted if you will only ever be running stock. Boards I use are typically Gigabyte or Asus (Foxconn for budget rigs). Other people here like MSI, which is also a quality board maker. Those are my picks in general, but specific boards for the 1155 chipset have only just now come back on the market and there are only a few boards out at the moment (non for Gigabyte or Asus, limited choice for MSI) so what I would probably choose may not be out yet. I am probably waiting for one with an NF200 chip to allow for full use of a second PCIe card. That may not be important to you though, so you could concevably take one of the currently available MSI boards on Newegg. Keep checking as these offerings fluctuate every day now!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Every so often things happen that can’t be rationalized in a conventional way. People wanna know their government has a response. I am that response.”
    ― Kent Mansley (in "Iron Giant")

For most general problems, for which you have no idea of the culprit, your first port of call should be:
    https://support.sega.co.uk/hc/en-us/categories/200307381-Total-War-Support

If you are aware of a bug or a specific issue for which you know the cause, post in the support section for the specific title on our forums. ~Al

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest