Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Second statement from CA on Rome II's release (11 Sep 2013)

Comments

• Reichmar12Reichmar12 Senior Member Posts: 133Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Mike,

Thank you very much for outlining, in rather remarkable detail, what you guys are planning. I believe that I speak for the community (at least the sane ones) when I say that the transparency and honesty are very much appreciated. I'm very excited to see what you guys are working on, and I'm looking forward to the shorter multiplayer turn times (sorry, I had to stick that in there).

Also, you statements on a new Beta strategy are a welcome sign for us all. As a community, we really believe that we could have helped you guys quite substantially if you gave us the opportunity to break your game before it went live. We all want Rome II to be a wonderful and exciting game, and we're glad that you're taking the time to think about new ways to work at it.

Its very much good to know what your priorities are: 1) performance, 2) gameplay/features, 3) minor bugs. Many of us were hoping to hear something on what you guys viewed as significant enough to warrant attention.

Thanks again, and I hope this isn't just PR. :-)
  • King_AzzoleKing_Azzole Member Posts: 38Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    I have purchased every total war game since the original shogun. I literally grew up on the series. I remember purchasing Mongol Invasion in the store when I was a young teen and having a magical feeling about the expansion as I drove home in anticipation.

I don't want to ramble, what I mean is I have been very disappointed during this release, and your reassurances and willingness to continue to change and shape the company around your player base is very admirable. Rome 2 is a jewel in the rough. With the right finishing polish and some small adjustments of features I think Rome 2 may be the best Total War to date, once the jaded players move past the release.

I must admit I was one of the people who gave the game a lower score on meta critic. After you released the last patch I raised my score a little. It still sits lower than what I really want to give the game, but it still doesn't deserve it. I can't wait to be able to score Rome 2 a 10 as I did with Shogun 2. Keep up the hard work lads, and thank you for staying positive even while navigating this **** storm the community rightly created.
  • VisricVisric Member Posts: 133Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Keep up the good work, CA. I've never lost my trust in you :)
  • JarquadJarquad Junior Member Posts: 15Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    It isn't just about bugs and fixes, every game has bugs at release, the fact that Rome 2 currently has a metascore of 3.8 is because you released half a game, and decieved people. I could list so many things this game is missing that every other total war had, but I'll just say, where the hell is the 700 units? Half the units in the game are the same pilla throwing spearman, with different names and colours.

So either Sega forced you to release it early before it was complete, and that's why it's a half-complete buggy mess, or you simply made one of the worst games of the year, easily the worst major release this year, and worst Total War.

It isn't about "performance issues", every Total War has run poorly, it isn't about bugs, every game has bugs. It's simply terrible and unfinished, and people need to know you're going to do more than "UI improvements", like adding more than spearmen, or making battles last longer than the 2 minutes they literally take.

But we know you'll do bugger all, and apart from bug fixes and very minor changes, everything for Rome 2 will be DLC.

Proof of this is that fact that you released day 1 DLC for a game you hadn't even finished. Last time I buy anything from CA or Sega. Rome 2 and CoH2 were the most disappointing games of the year.
  • SashimigSashimig Senior Member Posts: 2,834Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    open beta is indeed the way to go it was asked since empire. So many problems would have been avoided..ratings would have skyrocketed..
    "Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head"

Euripides
  • VilmurinVilmurin Senior Member RomaniaPosts: 1,037Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    This statement gives me hope. Let's not forget that CA is not a basement company and has a reputation to uphold. I'm 100% that the bugs on performance and AI will be fix (the AI still won't be revolutionary, but if it's a little better than Fall of the samurai it will be great). The thing I really hope is that the design and UI changes we all hope for will truly be solved. From my point of view ROme 2 is not yet released. I'll consider it released in 2 months time when the bugs will be gone and improvements to the gameplay/UI (the ones we are crying for) will be added. If CA will add the request we have (new options for diplomacy, the flag removed, etc), I will consider this purchase a great deal.

I think overall this is the major problem: we want more stuff in the game, stuff that we know CA can add because they have the talent. We all want to take a big step forward with this game and get to a point where we are equal with Europa Universalis in terms of strategy, not with Civ.
  • Welsh_DragonWelsh_Dragon Senior Member Great BritainPosts: 2,914Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Thank you Mike and CA fro keeping us informed.

One question. What priority category would headache inducing full screen lightning effects come under? On the one hand it's only affecting part of the Total War community, but on the other hand it is making the game totally unplayable for those affected and potentially detrimental to a person's health if we try.

My original thread is here: http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/76638-Any-way-to-stop-full-screen-flashing-in-storms

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon
    CraigK CA wrote:
    I think Welsh Dragon knows too much...
    "You might very well think that. I couldn't possibly comment."
  • The Great DaneThe Great Dane Senior Member Posts: 107Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    LONG OPEN BETAS
    WELL THAT'S THE BEST DARN THING TO COME OUT OF THIS WEDENSDAY, SEPT. 11, 2013

If some of us veterans (played every single game since day one) are included, you won't regret it Mike...
  • ArthurVArthurV Senior Member Posts: 156Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Great, cant wait to play the game(right now with bugs etc.. I just find it boring, and the wait between turns its one of the main problems, thanks for taking care of it), anyway I think that the flag points in open battles should go away ASAP. Thanks Mike.
    RIP TW's experience 2004-2013
  • k1ddkanuckk1ddkanuck Member Posts: 82Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Just the fact that you guys acknowledge frustration, apologize, admit mistakes and make commitments to future goals puts CA miles ahead of most studios for me.
  • FhearFhear Senior Member Posts: 142Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Thanks for the update! That means a lot to us!

Let's wait then first, until the bugs are ereased and then let's get the conversation started!
  • Crappius MaximusCrappius Maximus Senior Member Posts: 713Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Mike CA wrote: »
    The top priority is stability and performance – both frame rates in battle and campaign, and end of turn times and loading times. Then gameplay spoilers – AI flaws and exploits, balancing tweaks and the level of challenge on higher difficulties. Then minor bugs, lesser features that really didn’t pan out, UI improvements, and longer term adjustments to features and systems that could be better. Because there are a lot of us working in parallel there will be a mixture of different priority fixes in each patch. Much of this work would be part of the usual planned improvements we would make to our games post-launch anyway, but we are aware that they have now taken on extra significance and importance.

This is how you know to tell the difference between a good developer and a bad one. Anyone with half a brain will know that it's not some slap dash attempt to paste over the cracks with some spare devs who have been reassigned or some such nonsense.

I have to say that although this is the first CA/TW game I've bought on release date and participated in helping improve by reporting bugs in the forum, it's by far the best managed response and communication from a games company post-release that I've ever seen
    What we do, we do for the glory of Cat! - Cattus Maximus A.D. 4

Post your campaign bugs here
    Post your battle issues here
    Want to know who the Devs are and where they've posted? Click here

Tired of the haters/flamers/trolls/fanboys/whiners? Simply:

1. Click on their name
    2. Click on view profile
    3. Choose Add to Ignore list
  • zanderfalzanderfal Member Posts: 73Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Well steam installer is broke again. Froze at 14mb and refuses to move, and it only does it on this game so ya..
  • erichfung1981erichfung1981 Junior Member Posts: 5Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Thanks! Mike! But will CA correct issues on battle crashes? I can't even load prolouge! Hope the upcoming patch will fix it! My rig:
    16GBs of RAM, Win 7 SP1 64-bit, Inno3D GTX-680 2GB, Transcend 720 256GB SATAIII SSD. I do invested for it when I heard RTW 2 development around a year ago! It runs Far Cry 3, Sleeping Dogs, Crysis 3, Ghost Reacon: Future Soldier really fine!

"Rome wasn't built in a day! The greatness is worth waiting!" My Statement at my facebook account! Get to it! CA!
  • lordfadilordfadi Senior Member Posts: 1,855Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Great News, hopefully everything will be fine for all.
    "Life is a succession of lessons which must be lived to be understood" Helen Keller.
  • Fabiano1979Fabiano1979 Senior Member Posts: 139Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Best news so far. Im glad that you guys are working on the end turn times.
  • GrudgeNLGrudgeNL Senior Member Posts: 7,149Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Knut wrote: »
    No, I read the whole statement and they just casually mention that they might work on some gameplay issues sometime in the far, far future. And that they might implement some things like the family tree after a dialog with the community -- no doubt via some overpriced dlc.

I want to have faith in CA but after that release I feel betrayed. They didn't treat me like they should've. And their apologies never mention the sub-par gameplay or design. The reason I'm so jaded right now is because I just spent another hour playing Rome II and it was the most frustrating and annoying experience. I'll just stop playing for a while and hope CA makes good on their promise and makes it better.

Your frustration is understandable. But from the way I read it, they're willing to communicate more directly with us about the possible implementation of (deleted) game play features. And we shouldn't forget that modding is also very important. Just see how many mods have been made in the past few days, which essentially altered the game play?

This is just the beginning. Rome II will end up being an amazing game. Again, I understand the feeling of betrayal from an objective point of view. But at some point, if you're really passionate about Total War, you should give the developers a chance to fix this. They're fixing it right now with almost 200 bug fixes in the next few weeks.
    Grudge's Mods
    Total War: Karling - Coming soon...-ish
    Grudge's Total War: Attila - Sassanid UI skin here on the Steam Workshop
  • Theta SigmaTheta Sigma Senior Member Posts: 388Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Very good post.

Thankyou.
  • MIHALISMIHALIS Senior Member Posts: 127Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Thanks for the statement - can creative assembly,advise when we should expect the 2nd patch to arrive??
    many people do not play the game awaiting some progress/fixes on ai,battles etc.

thanks in advance for the reply.
  • jmm988jmm988 Senior Member Posts: 178Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    thanks for the info Mike
    Geaux Tigers! and Geaux....Mets?
  • El MatadorEl Matador Senior Member Posts: 153Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Betas in the future would be wonderful. They'd help avoid another release like this.

Thanks for this post. I'm seeing a glimmer of hope now that you've mentioned gameplay issues BEYOND the technical bugs. Here's to more fleshed-out and reimplemented features in the (hopefully) near future.

If we're lucky, the game will at least be challenging and relatively bug free in a few weeks, and we can get some rudimentary entertainment out of it until the bigger changes arrive.
    My Review
    ~*~
    >>2%<<
  • NarkilNarkil Junior Member CanadaPosts: 6Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Thank you CA, I love this series so much and I am very happy that there is good communication with the community. I look forward to the patches. Thanks!
    To War :D
  • RGSRGS Senior Member EnglandPosts: 977Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Good post, thanks Mike.

Particularly glad to hear that the patches will have public betas and be properly tested before release (I had some bad experiences with Empire...).

It's not been a great launch for me, but I really appreciate CA's response in acknowledging the problems and your firm commitment to fixing them ASAP.

Really looking forward to seeing the game evolve and improve over the coming months :).

Good luck!
  • matraymatray Senior Member Posts: 356Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Using steam, a long open beta with members of the community would be the way to go and be entirely feasible. I would put my hand up and I am sure you would have a cast of thousands trying to get in on it.
  • civildude892civildude892 Member Posts: 72Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Very grateful for you sharing what is going on and what some specific things are being looked into. I love the series and I really like rome 2. I'm quite hopeful that once things get fixed up that I will love it as much as rome 1.
  • blazehenrysonblazehenryson Member Posts: 77Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Thanks Mike, as I read these forums I see more bad threads than anything, but I love how CA keeps us informed of what they are planning and all that jazz... I'm sure once these bugs are ironed out this will become a great game.
    Alienware Aurora R7: Intel i7 8700k - NVIDIA 1080Ti - 16GB Ram DDR4 2666 MHz - 256GB NVMe & 2TB 7200RPM - Killer Wireless 1535 - 850PSU Liquid Cooled with Alienware 34" Curved Monitor AW3418DW (3440x1440) 120Hz GSync
  • RiithiRiithi Member Posts: 51Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Much much better post compared to the first one.
    Actually.. next time **** happens don't say it only effects a minority.. it doesn't help ..

Good luck with fixing all the broken things, looking forward to really enjoying myself playing Rome2.
  • Ca12nag3Ca12nag3 Senior Member Posts: 589Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    This is how you know to tell the difference between a good developer and a bad one. Anyone with half a brain will know that it's not some slap dash attempt to paste over the cracks with some spare devs who have been reassigned or some such nonsense.

I have to say that although this is the first CA/TW game I've bought on release date and participated in helping improve by reporting bugs in the forum, it's by far the best managed response and communication from a games company post-release that I've ever seen

CA has a long and good relation with its fan base. It only makes sense CA would be open and forward about what it will do. So far TW games never were a lot down. Just this release is a set back. Set back as in that it really does look and smell and taste like a beta release for a game.

I still have full confidence in CA's ability to fix it and make it one of the best TW games to date.
  • AstroCatAstroCat Senior Member Posts: 378Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Thanks for the update. One fear I have is that all those features and design choices that have made Rome 2, as it stands, a "lesser" game that will now be re-considered will only help the next games in the series. For me personally this would really be disappointing because the Rome setting is one of my favorites and it would be a real let down if it ended up being the "worst" in a series of games.
    Home/Gaming PC: : [email protected]/Asus Rog Maximus VIII Formula/EVGA RTX 2080 XC ULTRA/Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB)/Corsair Carbide Quiet 600Q/Corsair RM750i/Acer XB270H 27"/BenQ G2400W 24"/Sound Blaster ZX/Samsung 850 Pro SSDs x2/Samsung 950 Pro x1/Win10 Pro 64bit/Saitek X52/TrackIR3: Pro-TrackClip Pro/
  • Crappius MaximusCrappius Maximus Senior Member Posts: 713Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    zanderfal wrote: »
    Well steam installer is broke again. Froze at 14mb and refuses to move, and it only does it on this game so ya..

Give it time. I've had it happen as well and tried everything to get it working, but after waiting an unknown amount of time (purely because I didn't notice it had finished until the following day) and doing other things it had fixed itself and finished downloading
    What we do, we do for the glory of Cat! - Cattus Maximus A.D. 4

Post your campaign bugs here
    Post your battle issues here
    Want to know who the Devs are and where they've posted? Click here

Tired of the haters/flamers/trolls/fanboys/whiners? Simply:

1. Click on their name
    2. Click on view profile
    3. Choose Add to Ignore list