Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Second statement from CA on Rome II's release (11 Sep 2013)

Comments

• Tim_WardTim_Ward Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 347
    edited September 2013
    Hey Trish, I don't want to be "that guy" but did you guys (and gals) note down my list of gameplay changes?

- Optimization for high end rigs
    - Redesigned UI/GUI (It desperately needs art direction)
    - Guard mode/Loose formation/Fire at will buttons
    - Removal of the torches
    - Removal/Severe nerf to the automatic boat transports
    - Family Tree & improved political system
    - Less cryptic visual effects (change the visual effects that occur when you change an army's stance, make it clearer to understand what stance the army is in)
    - Add unit size line to the preferences file
    - Do something about the ghost soldiers that appear when you press space bar (It heavily reduces the fps & they are not superior to the way Shogun 2 showed where units would end up)
    - Improve the 3D portraits or make new 2D portraits instead
    - Add in all the graphical features from Shogun 2 (Tesselation, AA, HDR etc...)
    - Separate graphical options for the battle map and the campaign map
    - Remove the graphical culling effect from the pikes (They should always be there no matter how far away the camera is, this would make it easier to see which units have pikes)
    - Naturalize the colors on the battle field, a de-saturated look is not aesthetically pleasing.
    - Increase the spacing between soldiers on the battle field, they should not be clipping through each other at all.
    - New diplomatic options (Annexation of client states, trading regions, allow us to set a custom amount of money in deals, enforce peace between two factions)
    - Remove/rework the client states for Carthage, Egypt & Seleucid empire
    - Make the major factions more likely to succeed/survive on the campaign map (If you want to have a more dynamic campaign you could give players the option to include "lucky nations" where randomly selected nations will get a boost to their stats)
    - New animations for the hoplites and a few different units that are not holding their shields properly and who are not fighting in their historically accurate way.
    - Make it so that it takes longer to reach the military reforms, the polybian units need to see longer use on the campaign map.
    - Give Syracuse & Jerusalem walls
    - Show us how to mod the music/sounds and how to change faction's starting position.
    - Change the campaign to 6 months per turn and add in seasons (1st turn: Spring, 2nd turn: Summer, 3rd turn: Autumn, 4th turn: Winter)
    - Fix the port blockade bug where blockaded ports cannot be conquered
    - Make it so that factions that are not your neighbors are less likely to declare war on you.
    - Only give the besieging army attrition if the region is not neighboring a region that is either owned by you or one of your allies with military access. If an enemy army raids the road between the region that you are besieging and the neighboring allied/owned region, the attrition is applied.
    - Add last names and titles to characters. Example: Strategos (title) Alexandros (first name) Seleukos (family name)

Let me check...

Nope, I can't find a single thing to disagree with on this list.

Though I suspect you might as well talk to the wind for all the heed CA will pay you.
  • LMGLMG Member Registered Users Posts: 99
    edited September 2013
    Defengar wrote: »
    From what I have heard, the game released early because "Aliens Colonial Marines" was such a let down and SEGA needed something big to end the financial quarter on a high note with.
    I work in marketing and this is a very likely scenario.
  • legion22legion22 Banned Banned Users Posts: 140
    edited September 2013
    LMG wrote: »
    I work in marketing and this is a very likely scenario.

Yeah.........fool me once and all that.
  • PedroCuba90PedroCuba90 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 11
    edited September 2013
    Hi i will write some things that i think it has to be solved, but mi native languaje is spanish soo i will write in spanish and i hope CA can translate anda use this please.

Sorry, English only in this forum.
  • ArotishedArotished Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 590
    edited September 2013
    Wow, Pedro from Cuba nailed it.......I think......
    felixlulz wrote: »
    made me laugh. 90% of the people dont complain about bugs or technical problems but about bad gameplay. so you can be sure after fixing all the technical problems this few guys will "fully enjoy" rome 2 as the rest of us :D

I agree with Felix..... (okey, performance issues kinda goes under bugs and AI should be like under technical but I see what you mean)
    catch33 wrote: »
    http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/97163-Radio-silence-from-CA?p=815738#post815738

Do they just roll you guys off on an assembly line or something? :D

I think that for every answer any CA member gives on their official thread, needs to be internally approved by someone. There is enough ****storm out there at the moment that they don't wanna cause extra frustration due someone at CA giving a answer which can be analysed wrong by the thousands of angry players surfing the forum.

CA TELLS US:

How far will you go for Rome?

THEN WE ASK CA:

How far will you go to fix Rome?
    But I have a dream that one day this game will rise up and live out the true meaning of its genes.
  • smoshiesmoshie Banned Banned Users Posts: 136
    edited September 2013
    Trish CA wrote: »
    That is what our main focus is! At the moment, technical bugs need to be worked on first so that everyone can enjoy the ROME II experience then we can potentially focus on things such as gameplay.

Trish - Let's be very honest with each other here - when you eventually fix the bugs in this game, people are just going to discover how bad the actual design and mechanics of this game are. Very few people are going to "enjoy" the Rome II experience - I think a better turn of phrase may be "everyone can ENDURE the Rome II experience". I've read through tons of these threads, and the same issues get brought up again and again - You surely know by now what people are unhappy with - the question we all want answered is; are you going to eventually make this game into the one we all hoped you would release in the first place?
  • ThorntonThornton Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 156
    edited September 2013
    I'm more concerned with the use of the word 'potentially'.
  • sirwhosirwho Member Registered Users Posts: 39
    edited September 2013
    Arotished wrote: »
    I think that for every answer any CA member gives on their official thread, needs to be internally approved by someone. There is enough ****storm out there at the moment that they don't wanna cause extra frustration due someone at CA giving a answer which can be analysed wrong by the thousands of angry players surfing the forum.
    That is undoubtedly the case, especially since two of their members wrote the exact same thing in two different threads lately, word for word.:o But honestly I would be very careful as well in their position.

To me their silence is understandable. What ****es me off is that this game will almost certainly not be fixed to the point of me wanting to play it. And because of the great probability that, with this latest game in mind, we'll never get another Shogun 2 quality or superior game from CA as obviously they've made some very skewed decisions and its not often the guilty parties involved will accept that they have made mistakes.
  • PapanowellPapanowell Member Registered Users Posts: 65
    edited September 2013
    Hey Trish, I don't want to be "that guy" but did you guys (and gals) note down my list of gameplay changes?

- Removal of the torches
    - Less cryptic visual effects (change the visual effects that occur when you change an army's stance, make it clearer to understand what stance the army is in)
    - Do something about the ghost soldiers that appear when you press space bar (It heavily reduces the fps & they are not superior to the way Shogun 2 showed where units would end up)
    - Remove the graphical culling effect from the pikes (They should always be there no matter how far away the camera is, this would make it easier to see which units have pikes)
    - Naturalize the colors on the battle field, a de-saturated look is not aesthetically pleasing.
    - Increase the spacing between soldiers on the battle field, they should not be clipping through each other at all.
    - New diplomatic options (Annexation of client states, trading regions, allow us to set a custom amount of money in deals, enforce peace between two factions)
    - Make the major factions more likely to succeed/survive on the campaign map (If you want to have a more dynamic campaign you could give players the option to include "lucky nations" where randomly selected nations will get a boost to their stats)
    - New animations for the hoplites and a few different units that are not holding their shields properly and who are not fighting in their historically accurate way.
    - Make it so that it takes longer to reach the military reforms, the polybian units need to see longer use on the campaign map.
    - Show us how to mod the music/sounds and how to change faction's starting position.
    - Change the campaign to 6 months per turn and add in seasons (1st turn: Spring, 2nd turn: Summer, 3rd turn: Autumn, 4th turn: Winter)
    - Make it so that factions that are not your neighbors are less likely to declare war on you.
    - Only give the besieging army attrition if the region is not neighboring a region that is either owned by you or one of your allies with military access. If an enemy army raids the road between the region that you are besieging and the neighboring allied/owned region, the attrition is applied.
    - Add last names and titles to characters. Example: Strategos (title) Alexandros (first name) Seleukos (family name)

CA, as you can see we are taking this **** seriously. Do the same NOW!
  • EptesicusEptesicus Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 422
    edited September 2013
    All it comes down to is the fact that someone (probably the project lead) needs to swallow their pride and admit that they have introduced stupid mechanics and ideas that were not needed.

They just come across as being stubborn at the moment, when it is quite clear that they have made some **** poor design decisions that the fanbase wholly reject ( no family tree, seasons, rubbish UI, 2 turns per year, burning down gates e.t.c)

Are they even paying attention to the numerous polls that all vote pretty unanimously against CA's bad ideas?

I would feel a lot happier if someone just said " ok, we hear you, we got it very wrong this time, but we will fix all the things you are unhappy about and make sure we listen for our next game"
    edited September 2013
    Eptesicus wrote: »
    I would feel a lot happier if someone just said " ok, we hear you, we got it very wrong this time, but we will fix all the things you are unhappy about and make sure we listen for our next game"

Agree. It's so much stupidity in just one game that comes to be surreal. And worse, in my opinion, is that they don't admit their huge mistakes. That's what annoys even more the community. Just try to apologize with absurd lies. Honestly, these companies should exist? For God sake...
  • smoshiesmoshie Banned Banned Users Posts: 136
    edited September 2013
    Also agree. Their stubborness in accepting the poor design of many parts of this game is just making it worse.
    edited September 2013
    The only good side of this story is that other liars are appearing, such as review sites. Need not mention names...
  • UltimaratioUltimaratio Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 219
    edited September 2013
    Eptesicus wrote: »
    All it comes down to is the fact that someone (probably the project lead) needs to swallow their pride and admit that they have introduced stupid mechanics and ideas that were not needed.

They just come across as being stubborn at the moment, when it is quite clear that they have made some **** poor design decisions that the fanbase wholly reject ( no family tree, seasons, rubbish UI, 2 turns per year, burning down gates e.t.c)

Are they even paying attention to the numerous polls that all vote pretty unanimously against CA's bad ideas?

Agreed. As for me even with mods the game sucks due to the lack of all the featrues they ripped off. It is just a shameful display.
    "The spirit of Germania is the spirit of freedom" - Hegel
    Involuntary Rome 2 fullpriced Beta Tester
    The mysterious button of Rome 2 Where is it gone?:
    http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/90973-CA-Have-you-seen-this-button
  • LiionHeartLiionHeart Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 14
    edited September 2013

- Removal of the torches

Just cannot agree more with you dude. They shoud also consider improving the siege mechanic, and also as you said removing torches, it just ruins the siege part of the game. None of the AI uses Siege engines or ladders/ram's..
  • Joey CAJoey CA Creative Assembly Moderators, Administrators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff Posts: 750
    edited September 2013
    As far as noting things down goes; we are reporting back regularly on new and existing issues and queries you have so we can get as many of these issues as possible resolved with the upcoming patches.
    The Community Coordinator for Total War: WARHAMMER

The formal disclaimer: any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.
  • DjelabloutreDjelabloutre Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 9
    edited September 2013
    And that's exactly why they introduced this torches mechanism. It's certainly way easier to learn AI to burn a gate rather than learning it to use siege equipments...

That being said I agree with almost everything. Most important things in my opinions are of course the AI. For now the only situation AI is almost good enough is ibn open field battles without victory points. In any other situations, it's the worst AI ever seen in a TW.

The come back of seasons is a much needed feature as it has been a major criterion in warfare in all military history...

I personaly think that every minor settlements should have a building slot for defensive structure. Of course, even the highest tier wall for those little cities shouldn't be as effective as the province capital versions but seeing all those cities without any defensive structure is a total nonsense. Come on even the smallest village had his wooden palissade and in this game we have historical major cities without any wall???
    I'd also like garrisons to be buffed and AI be more eager to defend it's cities. Now when your are outnumbering the AI, it just flee it's city, let you take it without any fight and when it has no city left, it just come back with it's starving armies to suicide...

Everything else you said is true too. We need a real family tree, a real political system, a complete rework on navy transports, more turn per years etc...
  • combatevloved-dfcombatevloved-df Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 27
    edited September 2013
    Joey CA wrote: »
    As far as noting things down goes; we are reporting back regularly on new and existing issues and queries you have so we can get as many of these issues as possible resolved with the upcoming patches.

Thankyou for posting.

Can I please ask when we can have an update on what is coming out this Friday and what else is going on as you Guys at CA have not been quite as active on the forum this week.

We as a community really care about the TW series and dont want it to pan!!!
  • LiionHeartLiionHeart Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 14
    edited September 2013
    And that's exactly why they introduced this torches mechanism. It's certainly way easier to learn AI to burn a gate rather than learning it to use siege equipments...

That being said I agree with almost everything. Most important things in my opinions are of course the AI. For now the only situation AI is almost good enough is ibn open field battles without victory points. In any other situations, it's the worst AI ever seen in a TW.

The come back of seasons is a much needed feature as it has been a major criterion in warfare in all military history...

I personaly think that every minor settlements should have a building slot for defensive structure. Of course, even the highest tier wall for those little cities shouldn't be as effective as the province capital versions but seeing all those cities without any defensive structure is a total nonsense. Come on even the smallest village had his wooden palissade and in this game we have historical major cities without any wall???
    I'd also like garrisons to be buffed and AI be more eager to defend it's cities. Now when your are outnumbering the AI, it just flee it's city, let you take it without any fight and when it has no city left, it just come back with it's starving armies to suicide...

Everything else you said is true too. We need a real family tree, a real political system, a complete rework on navy transports, more turn per years etc...

Seems like they have released a not finished game. But actually not "seems" they did release a unfinished one, i totaly agree with minor settlements to have some sort of walls.. and all the rest that Greve Af Göteborg said. Seriously CA i expected more of your game.
  • NorsaNorsa Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 997
    edited September 2013
    The replies from CA are all "Marketing correct" They even reuse quotes.. Different CA people using the exact same wording and we are to believe its from them? They are fed what they are to say by the corporate high ups with no freedom to say/do anything that might spark controversy..

Just like they are happy closing all the threads that refere to Tim`s interview which was highlighted by totalbiscuit yesteday with the reason being: We already have topics regarding this, search the forum. Well, ive not found a single one that is open.. As far as i know they are ALL CLOSED!!! So we are not allowed to discuss this..
    Video below:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgU7hqX0KAQ&t=7m50s

The video in question is refering to an interview with the coorporate suit on top (who used to work for EA no less) and his opinion that making games focused toward the mainstream reviewers to gain a high score on Metacritic is among the most important aspect of the development.

Sorry CA, with all this i will trust absolutely 0 of what your pr machine tries to say.
    Speak plainly, dont hide behind phrases.. Tell us plainly that you aknowlege the game is poor by design, not due to bugs! And that you are willing to go the distance for Rome as you so funnily asked us in the PR movies...... (Iknow the people posting here from CA are not to blame. They are hired to be mouth pieces for the corporate machine, and using attractive girls + funny redhaired energy bundles of joy, were probably thought to keep us from flaming to much when they comment on things)

CA pr gals/guys are told not to talk or engage with the forum (unless pre approved) CA moderators try to do as much damage control as possible and will jump on any excuse to close threads that are embarrassing for CA.

So nothing personal against any of you guys, you probably diddent even know the game was bad as it is compared to older games(I see a great lack of skill in the play videos atleast. Wich makes me doubt any of you guys are really long time fans of the series. And that is ok.. I wont demand you be a fan to work somewhere. A job is a job after all)

So im not angry with Joey, Trish, Redhaired bundle of Joy, or Craig but i am angry at the pr you are feeding us from the high above....
    2%
  • Joey CAJoey CA Creative Assembly Moderators, Administrators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff Posts: 750
    edited September 2013
    Thankyou for posting.

Can I please ask when we can have an update on what is coming out this Friday and what else is going on as you Guys at CA have not been quite as active on the forum this week.

We as a community really care about the TW series and dont want it to pan!!!

As information is available to me (and us as a community team) we will get a new thread up and running, we have been observing the forums closely for weeks, even if our posts seem less frequent the great eye of the community team is ever watchful :)
    The Community Coordinator for Total War: WARHAMMER

The formal disclaimer: any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.
  • Minos2909Minos2909 Member Registered Users Posts: 54
    edited September 2013
    As information is available to me (and us as a community team) we will get a new thread up and running, we have been observing the forums closely for weeks, even if our posts seem less frequent the great eye of the community team is ever watchful :)

It sounds like a politic, we don't know when or how, nor what about, but everything will be fine.
  • StyoStyo Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 100
    edited September 2013

So you can't just walk over of dial an extension and ask "Whats the ETA on next Beta or Live Patch?"....

Le sigh. I'm giving up. I'll see if I can get my money back through BBB.
    Total War: Arena
    Rome: Total War | Rome: Total War - Alexander | Empire: Total War | Total War: Rome II
  • NorsaNorsa Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 997
    edited September 2013
    Have anyone noticed that the faces of the troops in rome 2 show less emotion then the ones in shogun 2? Even though this was a feature they promised? I remember facial expressions on the faces in the videos. Another lie from CA?, dont know why i havent rembembered it before now
    2%
  • sirwhosirwho Member Registered Users Posts: 39
    edited September 2013
    Norsa wrote: »
    Have anyone noticed that the faces of the troops in rome 2 show less emotion then the ones in shogun 2? Even though this was a feature they promised? I remember facial expressions on the faces in the videos. Another lie from CA?, dont know why i havent rembembered it before now
    That wasn't actually gameplay footage, it was specially created 3D videos made to look like real gameplay while adding alot more detail. Thats the thing thats so sucky here, all that time, effort and money for marketing. This game sold big because Shogun2 was a kickass game. All the effort put into marketing was not really necessary. While it will certainly have brought in some more customers, you can see that a working game would have been a better decision than that extensive marketing campaign in the long run. :(
  • ArotishedArotished Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 590
    edited September 2013
    Minos2909 wrote: »
    It sounds like a politic, we don't know when or how, nor what about, but everything will be fine.

Yeah, all of CA post are so "neutral"

Its like hearing a paramedic telling you "Calk down, everything will be fine" while half you're brain is on the pavement after getting hit by a smei-truck.

Anyway, just fix the game....dont patch it but fix it....
    But I have a dream that one day this game will rise up and live out the true meaning of its genes.
    edited September 2013
    There is no site where we can formally denounce what happened and what is going on?
  • Chris7Chris7 Member Registered Users Posts: 60
    edited September 2013
    Papanowell wrote: »
    There is no site where we can formally denounce what happened and what is going on?

Yeah, maybe we should do that... When the game was released it was broken and unfinished, full of bugs and issues. After a week, with Patch 1, almost nothing has changed... With Patch 2, things have gone even worse, with new bugs and new issues... With Patch 3 they also added a new wonderful feature: "Crash during battles"... This sounds amazing! :-) They are succeeding in destroy this product even more, with new issues, crash or absurd AI behaviours every week... and in the meanwhile they say: "ok, we've just solved a great number of bugs! See Patch notes for details: there's a huge list of fixes!" ...Wonderful.

Mmm... let me think, I have some ideas about new "fixes" for upcoming next Patch: when you start a new campaign, 2-3 random installed programs on your PC suddenly disappear! And when you start a new battle, AI suicide itself in the early seconds without wasting time and, on the screen, mysteriously appears an interview to some CA employee that speaks about amazing AI in ROME2!! ;-)
  • MckillroyMckillroy Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 330
    edited September 2013
    They advertised, than sold a "finished game". I paid 60 bucks (+tax) for a game that was not even close to being finished. Really this is complete ignorance on their part. Sure they are trying to "fix it" but at the rate they are "patching" it would be fitting to start using the word "surgery" instead of "patch". The game should never have been released.
    "Wait what? What problems, bah we'll deal with them latter. We have more important things to do. Now about that DLC.
    -Theory on what was said after the discover of so many errors before release.
    And shame on you for tricking loyal fans into buying a broken game.
    "Strength, its in ones character"

"Mods should only add; They should never only fix"

"DLC released the same day as the game; is a jab at the intellect of the consumer"

I do not trust CA/SEGA after the release of Rome 2. Nor do I trust those that represent them, or work for them. But I do feel sorry for them, kind off.

"Will rally point ever stop lying ?"
  • Chris7Chris7 Member Registered Users Posts: 60
    edited September 2013
    Mckillroy wrote: »
    They advertised, than sold a "finished game". I paid 60 bucks (+tax) for a game that was not even close to being finished. Really this is complete ignorance on their part. Sure they are trying to "fix it" but at the rate they are "patching" it would be fitting to start using the word "surgery" instead of "patch". The game should never have been released.
    "Wait what? What problems, bah we'll deal with them latter. We have more important things to do. Now about that DLC.
    -Theory on what was said after the discover of so many errors before release.

And shame on you for tricking loyal fans into buying a broken game.

This...