Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Second statement from CA on Rome II's release (11 Sep 2013)

Comments

• SirRobinSirRobin Senior Member Posts: 270Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    This was a much better post than the first one.

Thank you,
    Sir Robin the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot,
    who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor,
    who nearly stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol,
    and who had personally wet himself at the Battle of Badon Hill.
  • bigfootedfred2bigfootedfred2 Senior Member Posts: 1,709Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Thanks for the update. Good to hear.
    We know you guys are working hard to fix it all.

(*continues to blame sega)

I remember rome's release.
    im having a tough time deciding if rome, or rome II was your worst release build.
    many say empire...but i remember rome 1.0.
    that game was simply not even playable for me due to game breaking bugs.
    Wasnt really playable for me until 1.2

Its like activison all over again. things were supposed to get better with sega..

well anyway. thanks, i await the big fixes.
    Cur running
    be quiet 1000w psu
    m2n sli deluxe 64bit
    6gb Corsair Ram
    Geforce 580 gtx 1.5 gb
    Phenom II X4 945 @3.3
    ubuntu/win7/win8.1
    sandisk SSD 128gb
    seagate 1tb
  • RavenXRavenX Senior Member Posts: 156Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Epic Post, Mike CA. I commend CA on being upfront with what's going on and acknowledging the community. Telling everyone what the patch schedule looks like is a Big Plus for a lot of people who have no idea what it's like to do this with a product post-release. Internally it's the same thing that happens during the polish phase of a game, usually before Gold or in more modern releases taking advantage of services like Steam this can of coarse also be done post-release.

My main and only issue with Rome 2 is with performance. That comes first and foremost with me as I'm sure (and anyone being around long enough should know this) that you guys always fix the AI and bugs post-release and have always done a great job with that. My rig is about 3 years old now, but it's still a beefy system compared to a lot of the systems out there. I had no problems running Shogun 2 on "true" Ultra (nothing being turned down in the logs). All the graphics options were on, all the effects, lighting, AA, you name it, all in DX 11 with shader 5. When it comes to Rome 2 however it seems like the game isn't using half of my graphics card's actual abilities (haven't tried the new patch yet, about to though). I'll be happy when I can Rome 2 on Ultra, and this post of yours ensures the community that you and the team are well on your way of making that happen.

Thanks for being so up-front and commutative with the community. I think this post more than any others made by CA staff in the last week has done the best at assuring everyone that you guys are on the right track. Well done indeed. ~ RavenX

Lordvermon wrote: »
    CA is the only one in my opinion and experience that is so openly towards there community. Nothing but props to you guys!

Stardock is as well. They're a great company especially when it comes to talking with their community and fans.
  • LesithLesith Senior Member Posts: 155Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Mackles wrote: »
    Does it make me a hater for saying that I believe in actions, not words. Words are easy. I like this game, and I want to love it. It needs some serious work though, and I'm no longer sure if CA themselves are capable of addressing certain issues. I'm happy to be proved wrong though.

What features could not be addressed ?
  • Red SpiderRed Spider Member Posts: 62Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    The patch that was "just put out" was the the 1.5 or am I missing something? O.o
    MOBO: Maximus VI GENE RoG Edition
    CPU: Intel Core i5 4670 @ 3.40Ghz
    RAM: 8GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600MHz
    GPU: 2 x EVGA Nvidia GTX 670 2GB FTW Edition (1005 MHz Core, 6210 MHz vRAM)
    SLI Enabled | Rome 2 Benchmark Result: 41.2fps @ Extreme Settings
  • TheImperfectTheImperfect Senior Member Posts: 170Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Will you make changes to the u.i, lack of family trees, 1 turn per year (can be fixed with a mod) and other design choices that weren't very well received (also capture flags, they're Hitler) in future patches? Right now I'm glad that you seem to be working on the performance and the AI plus various bug fixes, and admitting that the game was in no fit state to be released is a step in the right direction. I really hope that you're telling the truth when you say that this won'r happen again, I look forward to a ROME II with the immersive majesty of ROME: Total War, and the sublime, highly well polished elegance of Shogun 2.
  • MacklesMackles Senior Member UKPosts: 5,464Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    lesith006 wrote: »
    What features could not be addressed ?

I'm not so much talking about technical ability, rather stuff which is inherent in the design and approach to the game. Shogun 2 was very polished, but the direction in terms of combat and campaign (i.e. extremely fast and corridor-based) were worrying. I could attribute that to the era and location though. Two games in a row with the same issues? Just look at the campaign map. It is a series of corridors to different small sections dominated by huge cities.
    "Conquer, Punish, Enslave" - Words for the would-be Imperialists to live by!

Somewhere on that hill, its gonna get bloody contradictory between us and them real fast. - Anon
  • worneswornes Senior Member Posts: 259Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Nice!
    As I posted some time ago in the forums the best thing you could do is let everyone who preorders join the open beta, lasting one month or maybe more if you feel like that's needed, this would make more people eager to buy your game and I bet we all would have loved to participate in the Rome 2 Beta and help you improve the game, also you'd have gotten a lot less hate.

It's really nice to see you are responding well to this CA, I've been a fan since the very first Shogun and I hope I'm still a fan after Rome 2 but this will as always depend on your hard work! I know you can provide us an epic game so thanks for keeping working on it!
  • gstephenopolousgstephenopolous Senior Member Posts: 329Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Hexcaliber wrote: »
    In a word, B*******, a fixed single UI is probably the last thing I and I suspect many others could care about with regards to adding flavour to different factions.

So? It doesn't mean he can't or shouldn't suggest such a thing if he does care about it. Get over yourself.
  • MatamorosMatamoros Member Posts: 35Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Much appreciated. There still hope. Meanwhile, I'm back to Medieval 2.
  • bigfootedfred2bigfootedfred2 Senior Member Posts: 1,709Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    wornes wrote: »
    Nice!
    As I posted some time ago in the forums the best thing you could do is let everyone who preorders join the open beta, lasting one month or maybe more if you feel like that's needed, this would make more people eager to buy your game and I bet we all would have loved to participate in the Rome 2 Beta and help you improve the game, also you'd have gotten a lot less hate.

It's really nice to see you are responding well to this CA, I've been a fan since the very first Shogun and I hope I'm still a fan after Rome 2 but this will as always depend on your hard work! I know you can provide us an epic game so thanks for keeping working on it!

yeah exactly. there are tons of people out there whod love to just pull the game apart for bugs in a 'confirmed' beta state.

i feel like we have all payed for a beta test.
    and it is thanks to sega. dont forget that.
    Cur running
    be quiet 1000w psu
    m2n sli deluxe 64bit
    6gb Corsair Ram
    Geforce 580 gtx 1.5 gb
    Phenom II X4 945 @3.3
    ubuntu/win7/win8.1
    sandisk SSD 128gb
    seagate 1tb
  • TunesTunes Junior Member Posts: 6Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Can anyone from CA tell me when this hotfix will be available? I'm looking at Rome 2 on steam at the minute but I don't see any hotfix, only the 1.5 beta - which I already opted into yesterday.
  • camilohel777camilohel777 Senior Member Posts: 141Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Wise choice with planning betas for future games. Most big releases do it and works well on bug finding and improving.
  • jupstojupsto Senior Member Posts: 327Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    thanks for posting.

how about next time do a proper beta AND instead of cutting content for pre-orders, give pre-orders access to said beta.

this keeps everyone happy. people have the choice to buy and play test (what they are doing now for rome 2), or simply wait for a finished title.

your PR team needn't worry, most gamers are fully aware that beta is beta. completely open betas might hurt sales tho, alot of people would see it as a demo.
  • mmurray821mmurray821 Moderator Posts: 5,227Moderators
    edited September 2013
    Tunes wrote: »
    Can anyone from CA tell me when this hotfix will be available? I'm looking at Rome 2 on steam at the minute but I don't see any hotfix, only the 1.5 beta - which I already opted into yesterday.

Still only a beta at the moment. May be released later today.
    Total War Forum: Terms and Conditions
    I've never seen the Icarus story as a lesson on the limitations of humans. I see it as a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive.
  • TagerianTagerian Member Posts: 44Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    This is all great but since your patch or update on 9/9/13 the game has stopped working out right for many. WHAT ABOUT US!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Dori34543Dori34543 Member Posts: 82Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    I'm not getting any FPS improvement on the campaign map with the new beta patch... :(
  • Bart_CABart_CA Creative Assembly Horsham, UKPosts: 350Registered Users, Moderators, Administrators, CA Staff
    edited September 2013
    Tunes wrote: »

Opt out of the beta and then if you start the game now it will update automatically, unless it has already and maybe you didn't notice?
    Forum Terms & Conditions

Formal disclaimer: any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.
  • King_of_SeleucidsKing_of_Seleucids Member Posts: 74Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    I have a question, after you fix the game, can you CHANGE some features? and not wait until an expansion or something like that to do it, because the great majority of the fans want you to remake the MultiPlayer, it so dumb it's even mor simple than the one in rome 1! we need MP action, please :)
  • TomzgenTomzgen Senior Member Posts: 647Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Great that you are working on so many issues, but why the emphasis on graphics again? I feel the structural flaws are far more important then how pretty it looks.
    Whoever laughs last, thinks the slowest.
  • WillensKraftWillensKraft Senior Member Posts: 337Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Apology and no 2% claim in the same post?

Thanks.
    R2D2 gets upgraded with the Rome II AI
    http://i.imgur.com/kEWNYcF.gif

Disclaimer: the post above is way way pre-alpha, the final version will be way way better than this.
  • randir14randir14 Member Posts: 69Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Thanks for the update. Glad to hear end turn times will be improved.
  • YoshimoYoshimo Senior Member Dundee/ScotlandPosts: 212Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    beta's in the future. this is good. beta testers are always happy to find bugs. customers are livid when they find bugs. good move.
  • EaglePhoenixEaglePhoenix Senior Member Posts: 1,268Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Thanks for the heads up, sounds like there is hope - even for future releases

Keep going :)
    Team Empire!..and also tiny lil bit VC - but shhh
  • SinisterZSinisterZ Junior Member Posts: 27Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Thanks a lot for this update!
  • HoffmeisterHoffmeister Senior Member Posts: 220Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Now we can talk, apology accepted.
    If you want to make enemies, try to change something.
  • wildmugatowildmugato Senior Member Posts: 466Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Thanks CA. Maybe we will see less threads of "Im quiting" or "This game sucks" comments. It was starting to get really tiresome to see. Glad to hear the good news.

See peeps. Its about that magic word. Patience.

Keep up the round the clock updates/fixes etc. I will keep the coffee (tea & crumpets) coming. :)
    ========================================== The Wild Mugato ==========================================

TOTAL WAR: Three Kingdoms / Thrones of Britannia / Warhammer 1 & 2 / Attila /
    Rome 1 & 2 / Rome - Alexander / Empire / Napoleon / Shogun 1 & 2 / Medieval 1 & 2 / Medieval Barbarians /
    All games listed have all DLC's & Packs that were offered /

====================================================================================
  • IbericvsIbericvs Member Posts: 44Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    I really appreciate it, Thanks CA, show us you can amaze us like you did since the 1st shogun.
  • TheImperfectTheImperfect Senior Member Posts: 170Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Hexcaliber wrote: »
    In a word, B*******, a fixed single UI is probably the last thing I and I suspect many others could care about with regards to adding flavour to different factions.
    MANY MANY people want a UI overhaul, so I'm afraid you're wrong there.
  • MangeduvetMangeduvet Member Posts: 96Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    You might just be able to turn this ship around CA, release being a total fluke and all. This game has so much potential and it's still possible to live up to it! Keep up the work.