Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Gaming Keyboards - seeking opinions/advice..

Hidden GunmanHidden Gunman ModeratorPosts: 4,606Moderators
edited April 2015 in Technology
Hi guys, just a nice and easy one, and anyone can throw their views in...

I'm after a dedicated gaming keyboard, valued around the $150 - $250 US range, although cheaper would be nicer too (I'm generally of the view that you get what you pay for).

For gaming, I'm using a Razer Naga mouse which is most excellent, but the old general purpose keyboard is becoming a true suck, it rattles, it clanks, and it's good for typing, but...

I'm mostly a mix of TW type strategy and RPG/FPS gaming...none of my dedicated gaming stuff gets used for anything else in my house, on pain of me throwing a major sulk and ranting and raving.

So, what's hot, what's not and what should fit the spot?
Yes, it's me.

Gungho |Takeda| Yamagato Masakage

You have spoken with clarity of thought and rhetorical flourish...you have surely earned the favour of the mods.

If you didn't, click here...
Post edited by Hidden Gunman on

Comments

• AlJabberwockAlJabberwock Moderator USAPosts: 7,729Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights
    edited March 2011
    Since I'm on and there's no hiding it, (;)) I will just say I am an Atheist with regard to keyboards in this price range.

While I play no little amount of TW, and FPS, and Paradox style games, I also type. A lot. I use a 30 dollar combination MS Mouse and Keyboard these last three years, and other than probably having to replace a few letters I have literally worn off the keys, I doubt I will be in the market for anything soon. ;) Sorry, I'm not your guy :)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Every so often things happen that can’t be rationalized in a conventional way. People wanna know their government has a response. I am that response.”
    ― Kent Mansley (in "Iron Giant")

For most general problems, for which you have no idea of the culprit, your first port of call should be:
    https://support.sega.co.uk/hc/en-us/categories/200307381-Total-War-Support

If you are aware of a bug or a specific issue for which you know the cause, post in the support section for the specific title on our forums. ~Al

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
  • Legendary_WarriorLegendary_Warrior Senior Member Posts: 963Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    I have many friends who swear by the Logitech keyboards.

Here is a web link to a Melbourne based company that might be a place for you to look they care called PC Case Gear
    My Rig
    Processor:
    i7 8700k Intel processor 3.7ghz
    Motherboard:
    Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 7 Motherboard
    RAM:
    Corsair Vengeance LED CMU32GX4M4C3000C15R 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4
    Power Supply:
    Corsair RM850i 850W 80 Plus Gold Power Supply
    Graphics Card:
    Gigabyte AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce Xtreme Edition

I would rather die on the field of battle ahead of my men than an old man in my bed knowing that good men have died instead of me.

• DarkSideHomeDarkSideHome Senior Member Posts: 1,549Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    @HG: I got whipped a couple of days ago here for suggesting a 100$ mouse, so don't expect to find any love from the community (You know who you are) :p

If you are looking for ergonomics, then I would say go with a gaming pad instead of a gaming keyboard (cheaper and better for long sessions)

I have the G13 pad from Logitech which I use for shooters (mainly Crysis), but I would highly recommend going with the Belkin n52te pad instead (seems to have better resting position for the wrist/palm).
  • AlJabberwockAlJabberwock Moderator USAPosts: 7,729Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights
    edited March 2011
    @DS

Twelve Step Program... Say it... ;) Sorry, just kidding! BTW, I am rather hurt, as I think you unfairly characterized my response as I clearly stated that a special use or need would justify such a pricepoint (hands).
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Every so often things happen that can’t be rationalized in a conventional way. People wanna know their government has a response. I am that response.”

For most general problems, for which you have no idea of the culprit, your first port of call should be:

If you are aware of a bug or a specific issue for which you know the cause, post in the support section for the specific title on our forums. ~Al

• DarkSideHomeDarkSideHome Senior Member Posts: 1,549Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    Yesterday I made a comment that I'm either going with a 590 or 2x570s. I need that 12-step program now dammit, or else all of my retirement fund will be blown on PC parts.
    edited March 2011
    [sigh] Why can't you stay on subject??? LMAO Now you have ME doing it.

[slaps self with large trout]

• Hidden GunmanHidden Gunman Moderator Posts: 4,606Moderators
    edited March 2011
    Thanks Picts...I have had a gecko at the Logitechs, very impressive.

And thanks DarkS...I'll look at pads, although pads come with a problem: Cats that currently use my mousepad/computer zone to be sociable. No problems, that's what God made sharp pencils for...

I won't mention the price of the Naga then...it's obscene...
    Yes, it's me.

You have spoken with clarity of thought and rhetorical flourish...you have surely earned the favour of the mods.

• Hidden GunmanHidden Gunman Moderator Posts: 4,606Moderators
    edited April 2011
    Just an update, and to dredge this thread from the depths...

As a treat to myself for my 50th, I lashed out and got a SteelSeries Merc Stealth keyboard...big clunky keys, backlit in 3 colours, quiet keystrokes (which sorted out the noise complaint problems from Ms HG griping at me for typing etc), programmable, with duplicated keys on the left hand side of the board in a gamepad layout...very nice.

It's got a range of function buttons across the top left for controlling various functions (duh...) and able to run the mouse and headphones through it, with variable controls for those on the keyboard, which makes things a tad easier. Compared to the Logitechs, it has far less keys, but what I consider a better layout for older gamers like me. Plus, and this is a big advantage, the QWE/ASD key set up is duplicated on the game pad layout with large shaped keys, which actually does improve my performance in FPS...plus alloting them in TW for various battle controls is a real bonus.

As it was a fair bit cheaper than comparable Logitech boards, I'd recommend this to people who want a simple functional gaming board, but...

You definitely have to read the manual to sort out the programming of keys...it's not self-evident and not too simple (at the moment).

$130 Australian.
    Yes, it's me.

• CobblarsCobblars Senior Member Posts: 186Registered Users
    edited April 2015
    Anyone use the Belkin N52te? If so, what keys command do you set up for it?

Would be interested in hearing what people would consider their most 'goto buttons' in R2/Attila.

I find my Belkin just too good not to use for practically every game I play and much prefer it over a keyboard. The latest Razer Nostromo keypad looks nicely suped up and considering upgrading - though they are not cheap.
  • Maeda_ToshiieMaeda_Toshiie Senior Member SingaporePosts: 3,601Registered Users
    edited April 2015
    That's a very powerful necro...

That aside, I am a buckling spring proponent (they are useful as a backup weapon as well...). Cherry Blues in a Costar OEM kb is an acceptable substitute (Clears are somewhat specialty). Never tried the cloud-of-b**bs Topres due to the insane prices (maybe one day...).

Otherwise, I know that Razer has a relatively poorer reputation for its products' durability (compared to other companies). Corsairs have their ups and downs. The mechs of the CM Storm series are interesting, but I prefer the Costar made ones (unless you like Cherry stabilizers as opposed to Costar's). Backlit keyboards seem cool to some, but leds die easily, so I do not recommend them. Ninjas/stealths are largely for touch typists. Some like TKLs or even 60%, but WMMV.

Oh, if anyone (whom I am familiar with here) has a stack of IBM Model Ms or related clones (eg. Chiconys, especially those with the so called "big-a$$" enter key see: http://deskthority.net/wiki/Return_key) from the 90s in good working condition and is willing to sell...
    Total War Forums, the official forums of the Total War series:

Forum terms and conditions
    Technology Discussion Section
    How not to assemble a PC

Google-fu, the best skill in solving technical issues.

Faibo waipa!
This discussion has been closed.