Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

[Proposal] A Change to the politics/family system for more fun civil wars [Updated]

Comments

• walterkanewalterkane Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 449
    edited September 2013
    this system sounds very good to me. i would suggest that direct control over every position should be balanced. there needs to be something that stops you from just putting all of your family members in the highest positions. senate votes maybe
  • ChuckChuck Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 231
    edited September 2013
    Elicas wrote: »
    Answers in red again :)

Ok, now this is starting to look really good!

You nailed my concerns about the neutral factions. I would also assume that the next eligible family member from one of the three families would automatically assume control of the oldest neutral province (or the one closest to the capital?).

I think the unique rebel unit is an excellent idea as well! Only thing about it that concerns me is that characters in game don't really retire from their positions. Generals stay until they die, so how would you ever have an ex-general in a revolting province to acquire these new units?
  • whyrome2whywhyrome2why Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 274
    edited September 2013
    Great idea! I also tought armies led by rival family's general should revolt in a case of civil war. As your imperium grows and the pool of available generals from your faction decreases, you would have to put rival familly members in charge of armies in order to defend effectively your faction !

CA, you gotta do something about your politics / civil war system ! In my campagin, i managed to understand pretty well how to gain influence over the other parties, but I still don't get what in hell is the purpose to it !? to much influence : rebels spawning. not enough influence : rebels spawning. Why bother spend tons of money trying to secure promotions, counter the rumors or assassinate candidate ?!

anyway, great idea I hope CA reads it.
  • ElicasElicas Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 218
    edited September 2013
    Chuck wrote: »
    Ok, now this is starting to look really good!

You nailed my concerns about the neutral factions. I would also assume that the next eligible family member from one of the three families would automatically assume control of the oldest neutral province (or the one closest to the capital?).

I think the unique rebel unit is an excellent idea as well! Only thing about it that concerns me is that characters in game don't really retire from their positions. Generals stay until they die, so how would you ever have an ex-general in a revolting province to acquire these new units?

It would require a change to the character system allowing characters to 'retire' from active service and become Senators of various ranks, depending on their military experience.
  • IdomeneasIdomeneas Banned Banned Users Posts: 39
    edited September 2013
    Its exactly what I was thinking!
    A civil war should torn your empire apart not spawn some generic rebels. On the plus side its relatively easy to do. CA already done it in the past. The rebels should be statesmen and generals that already exist in the game. They should use the resources of their respective provinces, not just spawn super duper armies of the latest technology.

Its frustrating how little gameplay there is in nowdays TW. Gameplay is the factor behind replayability, not eye candies.
  • Gardan_KoloftGardan_Koloft Senior Member Zamin_e_IranRegistered Users, Smiley Posts: 976
    edited September 2013
    I like.
    I!..!I
    “The lion is most handsome when hunting”
  • DK4everDK4ever Member Registered Users Posts: 36
    edited September 2013
    me like.. this is exactly what I want & dream of Rome 2 to be. Also, the 3 factions in rome 1 wasnt a bad idea.
  • Warrior536Warrior536 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2
    edited September 2013
    Ok now this is ....actually pretty good.
  • Reichmar12Reichmar12 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 133
    edited September 2013
    I support this idea.

It definitely adds much more dimension. Right now there is no real reason to care about politics -- just conquer stuff, make boatloads of cash, wait for the civil war to happen and wipe the floor with rebels. There is no reason to care as faction politics have ZERO real impact on the event.

This idea is much better than CA's by far.
  • AudaxAudax Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 708
    edited September 2013
    intresting
    Nec recisa recedit
  • VahouthVahouth Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,101
    edited September 2013
    joplin-expats-stamp-of-approval.jpg
    Resistance is Futile...
  • i_Epic_ii_Epic_i Member Registered Users Posts: 79
    edited September 2013
    I am Barack Obama and I approve this message.

Not really, but you get it.
  • TheTooobHoobTheTooobHoob Member Registered Users Posts: 68
    edited September 2013
    Another thing...
    What if the child could gain traits, and you could give them one, like Hannibal's father making him promise to hate Rome, so it gives him a bonus when fighting Romans, those traits would also appear if one of their close family member is killed, he'll hate the killer faction if the faction is known, and if not he could have bad traits, like if traumatized. It would do also if you try to assassinate someone of an other faction, you pray not to be known, because if not and if you kill a family member in battle the relatives could become very dangerous.

Maybe a little complicated, and with my very basic english it may be not understandable, so tell me if something is unclear. I think it's good, because if you have a big durable enemy, war will get more intense, RP and bloody the longer it lasts.
    ''Now THAT's a moustache!''
    -Roman Legionnary spotting the gaul army.
    ''They may have huge moustaches, but Greek beards are more impressive.''
    -Answers his companion.

Elicas' awesome thread about politics! Read and support!
    http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/92004-PROPOSAL-A-Change-to-the-politics-family-system-for-more-fun-civil-wars
  • LusiadLusiad Member Registered Users Posts: 31
    edited September 2013
    CA really need to look at good ideas that their fans have such as this one,nice post.
    edited September 2013
    Ha...
    If the CA follows this instruction manual, it would be awesome...
    -Answers his companion.

http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/92004-PROPOSAL-A-Change-to-the-politics-family-system-for-more-fun-civil-wars
  • De MolayDe Molay Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 349
    edited September 2013
    Signed and approved :)
    edited September 2013
    Another thing...
    What if the child could gain traits, and you could give them one, like Hannibal's father making him promise to hate Rome, so it gives him a bonus when fighting Romans, those traits would also appear if one of their close family member is killed, he'll hate the killer faction if the faction is known, and if not he could have bad traits, like if traumatized. It would do also if you try to assassinate someone of an other faction, you pray not to be known, because if not and if you kill a family member in battle the relatives could become very dangerous.

Maybe a little complicated, and with my very basic english it may be not understandable, so tell me if something is unclear. I think it's good, because if you have a big durable enemy, war will get more intense, RP and bloody the longer it lasts.

Perfectly understandable, and another good idea.

Basically, direct lineal family members hate their ancestors murderers, with an option of creating hatred between them with some sort of "blood oath" option when the parent is involved in a conflict with a faction.
  • MiraklumMiraklum Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 408
    edited September 2013
    Elicas wrote: »
    Perfectly understandable, and another good idea.

Basically, direct lineal family members hate their ancestors murderers, with an option of creating hatred between them with some sort of "blood oath" option when the parent is involved in a conflict with a faction.

What do you think of this idea merged with your idea Elicas? - http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/93556-Idea-for-family-tree-and-politics-in-one-funtional-UI-%28Hope-CA-reads-this%29
  • Claudius8110Claudius8110 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 14
    edited September 2013
    I hope this is fixed.
  • KazielKaziel Member Registered Users Posts: 95
    edited September 2013
    Similar to what I envisioned when playing the 1st Rome. Very good ideas and a must read for CA devs if they are serious about fixing the political and family systems. +1000!

At the same time though I agree with the few who are pessimistic. The amount of work required to pull off this sort of overhaul will be heavy if it were to be tested and implemented properly, hence I doubt there will be money available for this. I hope to be proven wrong though and at the very least I am optimistic of a simpler fix with the addition of family trees.

But again, if CA is serious and has the funds to fix it, I really hope they take inspiration from this thread! Please CA.
  • KazielKaziel Member Registered Users Posts: 95
    edited September 2013
    Another thing...

Another great idea. To be honest, all of this should have been in the final game of Rome II, as all these ideas should've been discussed and implemented in development. Logically, it would have been the step forward forward from Rome I, but what we have is two steps back.
    edited September 2013
    At least the game we have now is a good base, witch we can build on it, not like if this was the maximum this game could do.
    -Answers his companion.

edited September 2013
  • KlaypexKlaypex Member Registered Users Posts: 40
    edited September 2013
    CA please read this and learn from the OP. This guy has some great ideas! Current Civil war is so boring and lacks any sense of depth!
  • Winter generalWinter general Member Registered Users Posts: 45
    edited September 2013
    Yeah, to be honest I expected something like this when I bought the game. Personally, I think it would be a good addition.
    edited September 2013
    With the Battle and Unit team sticky taking some obvious pointers from community suggestions, I'm slightly (only ever so slightly) the strategic map team might have read this thread.
  • ZulluhZulluh Member Registered Users Posts: 84
    edited September 2013
    I like it, you have to remember to say aswel that there is no actual logic behind the fact that you can play with all families. I think they didn't get to finish that part of the game, or else, why would they add an assassinate button when you can just make that general suicide in a battle?
    edited September 2013
    Zulluh wrote: »
    I like it, you have to remember to say aswel that there is no actual logic behind the fact that you can play with all families. I think they didn't get to finish that part of the game, or else, why would they add an assassinate button when you can just make that general suicide in a battle?

It definitely feels unfinished that is for sure.
  • EnthusiastEnthusiast Member Registered Users Posts: 41
    edited September 2013
    if this becomes DLC i might acutally start hating CA, but yes id love this
    - I7 [email protected] Ghz - 770GTX 4GB - 16GB DDR3 Ram - Windows 7 64 bit -
  • BigBadWolfBigBadWolf Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 335
    edited September 2013
    Im not sure what would stop you appointing only your family members to generals, admirals or governers, but then i guess it depends how many members of each family there are.