Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

My experience of Shogun 2 Total war

extremechimpingextremechimping MemberPosts: 54Registered Users
edited March 2011 in Total War: Shogun 2
Hello everyone,
Today after college I got on a train straight to Horsham to attend the Shogun 2 Total War community event. When I arrived at their offices after a short wait I was greeted by an enthusiastic member of staff who showed me to the room and we talked about what had gone on so far in the previous time slots, and it sounded very fun.

When I got to the room where the event was happening I was greeted by Craig and Mark who sat me down at a computer with Shogun 2 loading up, I firstly had a little look at the the clan selection screen, sadly the hattori ninja faction wasn't available though :O, the man who showed me to the room then quickly went through all the new features, including mentioning the new legendary difficulty, which I wisely decided against after hearing just how hard it is.

I then thought I'd do what I usually do with a new total war game and played a quick custom battle just to give the AI a quick testing, this battle was quite interesting I set it so I had a superior force to the AI but with a lower number of units and despite the AIs advantage in numbers they still realised that they should hang back due the the superiority of my forces, I sent one of my yari cavalry to their right flank to see how they react to units moving around the map, they sent in their light cavalry to attempt to counter this however they were defeated by the superior yari cavalry, I then moved my main force forward and set my cavalry back to the flank, I marched forward towards the enemy lines and issued my units to attack their infantry and used my cavalry to finish the rest of their cavalry whilst my superior archers put pressure on their bow ashigaru, once the enemy cavalry was dealt with I quickly sent my cavalry in to flank the enemy archers and then get in behind the enemy lines and caused a chain rout resulting in my victory.

I then decided to start a campaign game as the date, the first thing that happened was a mission appeared requesting me to crush some rebels in my starting province, so I sorted out constructing a farm in my starting region and sent in a small force to crush the rebels, it was a reasonably small battle I had a general, two yari ashigaru, a bow ashigaru and a yari naginato (I think that's how it is spelt anyway) and the enemy army consisted of a light cavalry, two yari ashigaru and a bow ashigaru, I started off the battle by negotiating a hilly terrain until I was in front of the enemy I then moved my archers into range of the enemy and marched my infantry forward to meet the enemy, once I had the enemy engaged in melee I sent my general round the side to attempt to flank the enemy and they reacted by sending a unit of yari shigaru at my general I quickly issued my general to run away from their spears up a hill, at the same time the enemy general decided to charge head long into my spear infantry and quickly died, the melee units I had engaged quickly routed, but the other unit of yari ashigaru was still chasing my general I was just about to send my infantry to deal with them when they decided to rout due to my superior numbers.

After the battle the remaining rebels reformed and retreated across the river so I decided to end my turn, the next turn I commissioned a weaponsmith to allow superior weapons for my future army and sent my army to finish the rebels, they only had half units of ashigaru remaining so I simply moved my army in and crushed them easily. At the end of another few turns I received a new mission to take a region of an enemy I started off at war with, so I started to recruit some katana samurai and more bow ashigaru and when recruitment was completed I moved my army into the enemy region, I spotted the enemy army but they were just out movement range for that turn so I decided to attack a nearby farm to damage their economy.

The next turn i moved my army in to attack their force, it consisted of a general, 4 units of yari ashigaru, a bow ashigaru and 2 bow samurai. The battfield started off my me on some flat land and the enemy also positioned on flat land and their was two hills to the left and the right and a small valley-like area as a sort of road to the enemy, the enemy once again held its position so I decided to move my men in through the valley, the enemy still held its ground and didn't budge while I marched in to around archery range, but then the AI did something completely baffling, it made all its cavalry and spear infantry run to the right leaving all their archers completely exposed, I quickly exploited this foolish mistake using my general to crush their archers. After their archers were defeated I marched my infantry to face the enemy with my archers behind and my general to help inspire the men, the enemy then marched down the hill to face my men, with my superior infantry, archers firing on the enemy and my general nearby meant I had a quick victory over the enemy, but sadly the enemy general got away.

After the battle I sent my army back for replenishment as the enemies generals bodyguard had did some damage to my katana infantry and the 4 vs 2 yari ashigaru battle had reduced their numbers dramatically, I then received another mission offering a reward of date no-daichi katana samurai for researching way of the sword so I went for researching it, I then played a few more turns and one of the other lucky people who were at the event suggested a multiplayer battle.

I decided to go for a quick toilet break before the epic battle commenced, one the one side was me and both craig and mark decided to sit together on one computer and on the other side were the two others at the event. We all decided to set up our avatars with interesting costumes and even more interesting colour schemes in the case of craig and mark who went for a hot pink. We then went about setting up the armies we wanted to use my one consisting of katana samurai and bow samurai with a few units of yari cavalry, craig and mark went for alot of loan sword katana samurai with some archers and cavalry, the enemy armies seemed to consist heavily of spear infantry and cavalry with some archery units as well, I then realised my general had a skill point to spend so I decided to go for the bow upgrade due to my archer heavy army, I also selected retainers that boosted sword infantries defence and bow units accuracy.

The battle commenced and we all went about setting up our armies formation ready for battle, a 60 second remaining countdown initiated luckily I had my army all set up but one the opponents seemed not to notice this until the battle suddenly started for him, we all quickly noticed the farm that could be captured however none of us made a move for a brief while. After a couple of minutes I decided to move my lines forward to encourage a move by my enemy and for craig and mark to follow my lead, however neither of these things seemed to happen, after a few more minutes of almost nothing I noticed 2 units of enemy yari cavalry moving towards the right, I decided I would take them out I moved 2 units of my yari cavalry toward them with my general just behind them, I moved my cavalry close towards the enemy and suddenly noticed my generals unit was a bow cavalry unit, that's probably what the bow upgrade I got did, so I moved my general into range and had my cavalry guarding them after they had been weakened I moved my cavalry in and they were crushed surprisingly quickly, I then moved my cavalry back into position. After this little skirmish the enemy decided to make a move and both enemy armies marched forward, craig and mark still hanging back at this time, the enemy immediately engaged my katana samurai whilst under fire from my archers, I then moved off to manage my cavalry on the flanks and when I went to my left flank I realised some enemy light cavalry were quickly making their way into the side of one my archers units, I made my yari cavalry charge in to try and crush them but they just weren't quickly enough and only hit the enemy just after they had hit my archers, while distracted by this even mreo cavalry appeared at the right and my weakened yari cavalry were quickly crushed and the enemy pushed forward to attack my general, due to it now being a bow cavalry unit meant its melee abilities weren't quite up to scratch and sadly my general was injured and had to leave the battlefield, this then distressed my entire army and they turned and ran. Craig and mark were still yet to make a move and with the combined forces of both enemy armies they were no match and were crushed with ease, I think if we had lined our armies up a bit better with my early victories in the small cavalry skirmishes and by making the enemy incapable of flanking us we might of secured victory but it was definitely the misalignment which ruined us.

The time was now 6 and it was time to go so we all stood up and left Shogun 2 Total War for now at least, we then spoke to craig and mark and they gave us t-shirts, sadly there was only one medium and that was the only one me and one of the other guys could fit into but craig kindly offered to send one to my home address as he has many at his house, so we then made our way down the stairs asking about any possible expansions only to be told they couldn't say, and then made our way to the train station and discussed our single player experiences as well as our multiplayer clash and then when we went our separate ways and the our day of Shogun 2 was over, I thoroughly enjoyed the experience and if any events happen in the future I'd definitely try to attend, I'd also like to see thanks to craig, mark and all the others who were there to help us and answer our questions today as well as all the programming and design staff who made the game and hope that I can one day I will be good enough to work with them after I've finished my university course and I am greatly anticipating the release of the full game.

If anyone has any questions I'll try and answer them to the best of my ability from my brief, amazing encounter of the game.
Post edited by extremechimping on

Comments

• DribbsDribbs Senior Member Posts: 1,280Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    Dude, seriously. Thanks for sharing your experience but can we have some carriage returns between your paragraphs.

EDIT: Thanks for adding the carriage returns :)
  • GrudgeNLGrudgeNL Senior Member Posts: 7,115Registered Users, Cakes!
    edited March 2011
    Nice read. Dribbs is rigth though, a bit more space between the paragraphs should be make it better readable.

Nonetheless, thanks for sharing your thoughts.
    Grudge's Mods
    Total War: Karling - Coming soon...-ish
    Grudge's Total War: Attila - Sassanid UI skin here on the Steam Workshop
  • KagutsuchiKagutsuchi Member Posts: 56Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    That minor skirmish your wee cavalry won was but a distraction.... our master plan worked perfectly and your pitiful army was rightfully squashed!!

Ok Ok, I kid, we was a bit lucky too... I blame your team mates :P
  • DrakaDraka Member Posts: 52Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    wow, how long did it take you to write that, but none the less its making me more hyped about shogun 2. I've never played multiplayer before but it sounds to me that Craig and Mark did very little in that battle, maybe it was because they are so good they didn't want to make it to easy, lol
  • extremechimpingextremechimping Member Posts: 54Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    Dribbs wrote: »
    Dude, seriously. Thanks for sharing your experience but can we have some carriage returns between your paragraphs.

Ahh soryy about that when I was writing it out I did put spaces before starting a new paragraph to space it out a bit just didn't come out in the post for some reason, should've put line spaces really
    edited March 2011
    Kagutsuchi wrote: »
    That minor skirmish your wee cavalry won was but a distraction.... our master plan worked perfectly and your pitiful army was rightfully squashed!!

haha I think we might of stood more of a chance if you cavalry weren't able to sneak around the side, just needed craig and mark to line up their amy with mine XD
    edited March 2011
    Draka wrote: »
    wow, how long did it take you to write that, but none the less its making me more hyped about shogun 2. I've never played multiplayer before but it sounds to me that Craig and Mark did very little in that battle, maybe it was because they are so good they didn't want to make it to easy, lol

haha it took quite some time, an hour maybe two I'm not sure when I started it I can't remember XD yeah I'm majorly hyped and so glad it's been disptached already I might even get it early if I'm lucky, yeah I'm not sure what they were doing maybe they couldn't decide on their strategy and were disagreeing what to do XD
  • The DonThe Don Senior Member Posts: 218Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    @extremechimping

I hate you so much right now !, I have had partial sleepless nights because of this game for the past month.
    GOD, I will be taking sleeping pills on Tuesday so I can play S2TW with a clear head.

PLEASE TELL ME: Is there a bit of variety with factions units eg:Will Chosokabe spearmen look different to Takeda spearmen etc ?
    AND ALSO: Any news about DLC eg: unit packs etc
    i7 930 @ 2.8ghz Overclocked to 4.1ghz (Upgrading to Haswell only due to Rome II Total War)
    Rampage 3 Extreme Mobo
    6 gigs DDR3 Corsair Dominator GT @ 2000mhz
    Nvidia MSI GTX 690
    CoolerMaster HAF-X Tower Case
    edited March 2011
    The Don wrote: »
    @extremechimping

I hate you so much right now !, I have had partial sleepless nights because of this game for the past month.
    GOD, I will be taking sleeping pills on Tuesday so I can play S2TW with a clear head.

PLEASE TELL ME: Is there a bit of variety with factions units eg:Will Chosokabe spearmen look different to Takeda spearmen etc ?
    AND ALSO: Any news about DLC eg: unit packs etc

As far as I'm aware each faction will have its own class specific units depending on their clans history, like I said I was playing as the Date so I got a Date no-daichi katana samurai instead of just a no-daichi katana samurai they will be superior in battle but as I only played as one faction I didn't say any difference between units because I didn't really see any that weren't non-playable anyway, if you are getting the limited edition and are playing as the hattori ninja faction, as I will be, they said that there class specific units will have a special ability called kisho which allows them to be deployed anywhere on the battlefield so that is an example of differences between factions units.

No news on any DLCs specifically they just said 'there will be probably be something the next few years' having a joke with us of course.
  • ZarthZarth Senior Member Posts: 136Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    Troops in Asian warfare tend to be more uniform (since they're all part of the same culture). So ,I guessing, most likely most of units will just be recolored similar to the three Roman factions in Rome total war. That + they cut down on the variety of units in Shogun 2 total war.

It helps balance the factions, at least in multiplayer.

Dunno if you can customize looks of units via armor and weapon upgrades though.
  • ShuusuiShuusui Senior Member Posts: 216Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    learn to summarize, to long did not read :s
    (\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <) WORLD DOMINATION
    edited March 2011
    As far as I'm aware each faction will have its own class specific units depending on their clans history, like I said I was playing as the Date so I got a Date no-daichi katana samurai instead of just a no-daichi katana samurai they will be superior in battle but as I only played as one faction I didn't say any difference between units because I didn't really see any that weren't non-playable anyway, if you are getting the limited edition and are playing as the hattori ninja faction, as I will be, they said that there class specific units will have a special ability called kisho which allows them to be deployed anywhere on the battlefield so that is an example of differences between factions units.

No news on any DLCs specifically they just said 'there will be probably be something the next few years' having a joke with us of course.

Thanks, so for example lets take the katana samurai... Out of the Date, Chosokabe and Takeda katana samurai only the Date's will look different and have different stats ?
    i7 930 @ 2.8ghz Overclocked to 4.1ghz (Upgrading to Haswell only due to Rome II Total War)
    Rampage 3 Extreme Mobo
    Nvidia MSI GTX 690
    edited March 2011
    The Don wrote: »
    Thanks, so for example lets take the katana samurai... Out of the Date, Chosokabe and Takeda katana samurai only the Date's will look different and have different stats ?

I'm not so sure about the look of them but I think they will be superior to the enemy equivalents, but other factions will have strengths in other areas such as i think the takeda have superior cavalry and the chosokabe have superior archers, I think you'll have to wait and see about how each units looks because 2 hours isn't enough time to play each faction and the multiplayer battle took up about half of the time for me :P
    edited March 2011
    Zarth wrote: »
    Troops in Asian warfare tend to be more uniform (since they're all part of the same culture). So ,I guessing, most likely most of units will just be recolored similar to the three Roman factions in Rome total war. That + they cut down on the variety of units in Shogun 2 total war.

It helps balance the factions, at least in multiplayer.

Dunno if you can customize looks of units via armor and weapon upgrades though.

Hmmm thanks for that, I am a little upset about that since I have grown fond of a the Factions in TW having unique units like in M2TW and RomeTW, S2TW should then have added some legend units like they did in ETW..... You know... like add the legendary Chosokabe samurai 12th brigade (I made it up just an example)

My favortie unique unit ever: M2TW - Portuguese Faction - Those Portuguese Knights with armour fully upgraded and those crazy Morning Stars

**** I love CA, I will name my next child after you !
    Rampage 3 Extreme Mobo
    Nvidia MSI GTX 690
  • Kensei 00Kensei 00 Senior Member CanadaPosts: 149Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    Man, how could you be defeated that badly, this only shows to me that you may be a noobie on tw games or something. In any multiplayer battle, when I found myself with teamates that do not move or do anything and I find myself engaging the enemy, I will somehow retreat and take the battle to my allies so they will be forced to help and fight the enemy as well, I wouldn't be surprised if the other army didn't double team you as well. (BTW, I did that in the Historical battle on the demo I forced the Shimazu to fight and heck I even forced Hideaki to fight in the beginning of the battle for me.)
    Also you could have waited and move along with your teamates, you guys didn't work as a team at all and with that kind of gameplay you will surely be crushed online.

But thank you for sharing your experiences.
    正勝吾勝

edited March 2011
    Kensei 00 wrote: »
    Man, how could you be defeated that badly, this only shows to me that you may be a noobie on tw games or something. In any multiplayer battle, when I found myself with teamates that do not move or do anything and I find myself engaging the enemy, I will somehow retreat and take the battle to my allies so they will be forced to help and fight the enemy as well, I wouldn't be surprised if the other army didn't double team you as well. (BTW, I did that in the Historical battle on the demo I forced the Shimazu to fight and heck I even forced Hideaki to fight in the beginning of the battle for me.)
    Also you could have waited and move along with your teamates, you guys didn't work as a team at all and with that kind of gameplay you will surely be crushed online.

You're half right, I've never played a total war game online because I've never managed to get it work but I have been playing total war games for about 6 or 7 years now :P you're probably right I shouldn't hung back with my ally but I was too tempted by the farm and I expected my ally to move up with me tbh, but anyway I can only learn from my mistakes and make sure I work with my ally next time
  • HachimanHachiman Senior Member Posts: 468Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    Am i the only 1 with concerns here about poor BAI??

at the same time the enemy general decided to charge head long into my spear infantry and quickly died,

but then the AI did something completely baffling, it made all its cavalry and spear infantry run to the right leaving all their archers completely exposed, I quickly exploited this foolish mistake using my general to crush their archers.
  • SlippybeeSlippybee Senior Member Posts: 571Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    Hachiman wrote: »
    Am i the only 1 with concerns here about poor BAI??

Some reviews are glowing in their praise of the BAI, some less so. What can you do?
  • KagutsuchiKagutsuchi Member Posts: 56Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    I think you have to remember, the AI is awesome, but its not perfect.... the AI WILL do stupid things on occasion. If it fails to live up to your hopes, then i rather fancy your going to have to stick with playing other people for another 10 or 20 years, because an AI that is perfect is many years in the future!
  • andferpaandferpa Senior Member Posts: 2,520Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    Kensei 00 wrote: »

Well, what if he is not too good, he admitted he had not played a total war game since shogun 1. Also, how in the world did you make hideaki fight for you? unless you are exaggerating.
    Andokides
    All war is based on deception.
    Sun Tzu
    If you know the enemy and know yourself you need not fear the results of a hundred battles.
    Sun Tzu
    A leader is a dealer in hope.
    Napoleon Bonaparte
    Heaven cannot brook two suns, nor earth two masters.
    Alexander the Great
    All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players.
    William Shakespeare.
  • Kensei 00Kensei 00 Senior Member CanadaPosts: 149Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    Well, what if he is not too good, he admitted he had not played a total war game since shogun 1. Also, how in the world did you make hideaki fight for you? unless you are exaggerating.
    Yeah, right when the battle begins move the army that is in your center to the top of hideaki's position, after you dispose of the 2 yari cavs that always charge you in the beginning ther is also some katana samurai approaching by the shoreline on hideakis position, by that moment some of your army would have already crossed that small river and are heading towards the top of the mountain when hideaki is situated, the AI will start following this force and rigth away they will encounter a line of infantry of hideaki and you will clearly see how they are fighting them. Too bad that this only lasts for a while cause after the cut scene when it says that hideaki has betrayed you the whole army will start attacking you.
    正勝吾勝

edited March 2011
    andferpa wrote: »

haha not quite I've just never played a total war game online I have played, medieval, rome, medieval 2, empire and now shogun 2 :P
  • CA PeteCA Pete Creative Assembly Posts: 285CA Staff Mods, CA Staff
    edited March 2011
    Kagutsuchi wrote: »

Yeah, I think if you and Mark/Craig were sat closer together, and Mark hadn't just sat and done nothing you might have had a better chance :P

It was good to play against you. I hope one day for a rematch. I'm writing my report up as we speak. We'll see how our version of events coincide. xD
    - Advisor, gentleman, part-time rogue, and at your service.

Formal disclaimer: any views or opinions expressed on this forum are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.
    Forum Terms & Conditions

@peter5tewart
  • DvogelDvogel Member Posts: 63Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    Thanks for the post! I cant wait to try the game. I'm going to pick it up now, since my game store texted me that it was ready for pick up :)
    edited March 2011
    Terracus wrote: »
    Yeah, I think if you and Mark/Craig were sat closer together, and Mark hadn't just sat and done nothing you might have had a better chance :P

It was good to play against you. I hope one day for a rematch. I'm writing my report up as we speak. We'll see how our version of events coincide. xD

haha yeah it was my first ever multiplayer battle on a total war game and to think it was with craig and mark I think that's pretty epic XD I made sure I was pretty much as honest as i could remember how the events happened in the battle so we should have pretty similar stories if you do likewise, looking forward to reading what you thought of your campaign experience as well :D
    edited March 2011
    Dvogel wrote: »
    Thanks for the post! I cant wait to try the game. I'm going to pick it up now, since my game store texted me that it was ready for pick up :)

wow your actually gonna go pick it up now that's awesome :D I had mine dispatched yesterday so hopefully it'll come monday as I don't think the post is delivered on a sunday XD hope you enjoy it and you can let me know if steam still lets you play it even if you get it early as well :D
  • CA PeteCA Pete Creative Assembly Posts: 285CA Staff Mods, CA Staff
    edited March 2011
    Also this shirt is awesome. :cool::rolleyes:
    - Advisor, gentleman, part-time rogue, and at your service.

Formal disclaimer: any views or opinions expressed on this forum are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.
    Forum Terms & Conditions

@peter5tewart
    edited March 2011
    Terracus wrote: »
    Also this shirt is awesome. :cool::rolleyes:

haha I want mine :P I have to wait for the postal system to send it to me and for craig to send it as well XD also did he say he was giving us a code to download the full game off of steam or just to unlock the limited edition features i didn't quite hear
  • andferpaandferpa Senior Member Posts: 2,520Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    haha not quite I've just never played a total war game online I have played, medieval, rome, medieval 2, empire and now shogun 2 :P

sorry man, I meant online
    Andokides
    All war is based on deception.
    Sun Tzu
    If you know the enemy and know yourself you need not fear the results of a hundred battles.
    Sun Tzu
    A leader is a dealer in hope.
    Napoleon Bonaparte
    Heaven cannot brook two suns, nor earth two masters.
    Alexander the Great
    All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players.
    William Shakespeare.
  • DvogelDvogel Member Posts: 63Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    wow your actually gonna go pick it up now that's awesome :D I had mine dispatched yesterday so hopefully it'll come monday as I don't think the post is delivered on a sunday XD hope you enjoy it and you can let me know if steam still lets you play it even if you get it early as well :D

Bast A rds :P It says it hasn't been released yet so I can't activate it