Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Persistent and rare desyncs (READ BEFORE POSTING)

Robert CARobert CA The Creative AssemblyPosts: 236Registered Users, Moderators, Tech Moderators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff
edited April 2016 in Total War Eras Support
Hello everyone,

Some of you have been encountering persistant and rare desyncs when playing through the multiplayer campaign, we hear you and are working our hardest to find what is potentially causing them.

Let it be known that there is never just one desync. Desyncs arise from multiple different scenarios, some of them are very rare and hard to track down, others, like the more persistant issues, are usually brought on by a certain setup, whereupon if you fall under a certain scenario the game will desync.

We have successfully squashed the following desync(s):

(Please make sure before posting to this thread that these aren't the issues you're experiencing. If so, let it be known that we're working our best for a fix for these issues)

* Cross-language desync:

This occurs when two people are playing a campaign, but are on different languages. The desync occurs on the first turn of the client, and will not notify the user. This is why you might not see any issues until a few turns into the game. The only way around this is to make sure that both the client and the host are playing the game in the same language.

If you do not believe that the desync you're experiencing is one of the above issue(s) then please reply to this thread with as MUCH information as possible. The biggest problem we're having at the moment is that the game is desyncing 5-10 turns before users are realizing what is wrong. So stay vigiliante! And if you remember something that just seemed "odd" a few turns before your fears were confirmed, then make sure to mention it!

If you want to be super vigilante there is a way you will know that your game has desynced very soon after it happens. Please go to the following file directory:

C:\Users\[USER NAME]\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Rome2\logs

When a desync occurs it will dump a file called "desync.txt" in this file directory. This will be time stamped at the exact time it occured. Keeping tabs on this folder and correlating any events in the game to the timestamp of the desync file will give us a much better perspective on the issue.

However we do not expect you to do this. But if you're having a persistant issue. Make sure to try and reproduce the issue, keeping tabs on the above directory, to give us, and you a clear understanding of what is happening.

A couple of other things we need to know:

* Do you have any mods installed?
* Do you own the Greek States Culture pack?
* What language are you playing the game on?
* What is your download region set to? Found in Steam > Settings > Downloads.

So let's recap:

* Make sure that you aren't experiencing one of the listed known desyncs. Before posting a reply.
* If not, make sure to reply with as much information as possible, preferably keeping tabs on the events that led up to the desync.txt dump.
* Make sure to respond with the required information (see above).
* Upload the desync.txt and any saves BEFORE the desync occurs. We cannot do much with a save file when a game has already desynced I'm afraid.

To post your files, go to "Go Advanced" under the reply box, then scroll down and find the "manage attachments" button.

Regards,

Rob
My initial response to a post is generated from a template – this is to ensure I receive the information I require to progress forward with your issue.

Forum Terms & Conditions
Formal disclaimer: any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.
Post edited by Matthias CA on

Comments

• ExanimousExanimous Member Posts: 37Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Hi,

This is an interesting issue, because I don't believe it's a desync, since, we did have a desync (and a desync log) and we reloaded a game we had 2 turns before the desync, and were able to play two hours of ~5 turns each after that until this issue happened.

What happens now consistently with this save game I will attach, is, after ending my turn as Rome, upon switching to his turn, he is prompted with all his faction notifications and popups, but he cannot click anything.

He cannot press any keys and neither can I. I cannot click on menu, I cannot alt f4, we cannot use our keyboards besides using Crtl Alt Delete to force quit the game.

We also verified our cache, and I have tried multiple times to change something on my side before his turn starts.

I'd like to know if there's any solution? We do have a save game 2 turns before, but this isn't the first time this has happened, and I would like to prevent it from happening again if possible.

I am attaching the savegame file.
  • BeachedWalrusBeachedWalrus Senior Member Posts: 379Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    This is how we replicated the desync last time.

What happened was we were playing a game and we decided to exit after 5 turns, the game then wouldn't load on the second try. It said our games were not compatible so we started a new game. (That is another issue, i wish the save games would copy across)

We wanted to test saving so on second turn we exited to the menu and tried loading the game up. The next turn our movements were desynced.

- There is no desync text file.
    - No mods installed
    - Both have Greek cities dlc
    - Both using English
    - Both bought from gmg
    - Both verified cache
    - Both downloading from Australia

We are going to try another game soon.
  • hilliarddt72hilliarddt72 Junior Member Posts: 3Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    The de-sync is not even a rare problem. Me and my buddy cannot even get 2 turns before it does it, both have Greek states and both using same language in fact we would be sitting in the same room. we got the warning about the de-sync every turn pretty much chose to re-sync and it worked once and then kicked us out of the game. This is a problem that needs to be fixed considering we both bought this game for ONLY the campaign multiplayer.
  • DunetsDunets Member Posts: 67Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    Has the de-sync in MP-campaign appeared after patch3 went live?

So far so good here.. fingers crossed
    i5-2500k @4.8ghz
    16gb Dominator 1600mhz
    Gefore 680 AMP! ed.
    Corsair 3rd gen SSD 256GB
    Win 8

Rome 2 Greek States DLC
  • hilliarddt72hilliarddt72 Junior Member Posts: 3Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    The De-sync is still not fixed. It is the only problem I have. other than that my game works fine. had the same problem with shogun 2 and it never got fixed I bet this doesn't either.
  • LookdyssLookdyss Junior Member Posts: 6Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    Hi there

So far, it happened to me and my friend on two different campaign, each time during the ai's turn.
    Basically, sometimes both player get stuck during ai's turn, sometime just one player
    On the first campaign it was on turn 63, on second 26.
    The common thing, wich is provoking the de-sync, in my opinion, is the DIPLOMATIE with the AI. On each campaign, it s happens during the ai's turn, when a lot of diplomatie is going on.

Exemple;on the second campaign, during the ai's turn, my friend told me one faction wanted to make a defensive alliance with him, he accepted, and for him ai's turn was over, but not for me, i was stuck on one faction while for him it was my turn.
    We've reloaded it, he has made the defensive alliance with that faction BEFORE ending the turn (before the ai's turn), then he has ended the turn, and boom , magic, no de sync.

Optionnal:both got greek dlc, same language of steam, and both good machines and playing on the beta patch 4

Solution, in our opinion is : need to run some test during ai's trun of every potential diplomatic event between ai and player.
    exemple: a faction try trade with player, or a military acces, or military alliance, or defensive alliance, ANYTHING an AI is able to ask, and see what is provoking the De-synch

Again, ty for the great game you guys are providing, we won't be trying to help if it was not worthfull.
    Keep doing what ur doing guys, game is on a great way to be awesome, last patch made the ai way more interesting to play agaisnt than it was till now, keep going!

Thanks for all , Looky

Ps;if i can help in any ways, let me know
  • OverclockedSheepOverclockedSheep Junior Member Posts: 1Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    My friend and I keep getting "Failed to Join Game: Incompatible Versions," when joining campaign or a battle. I'm able to play with others, and he's barely played the game, let alone installed mods. We've been unable to play Rome 2 together for weeks now, and we're both on patch 3, and have both verified the game cache via Steam, and neither of us are running any mods.
  • LookdyssLookdyss Junior Member Posts: 6Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    Lookdyss wrote: »
    Hi there

So far, it happened to me and my friend on two different campaign, each time during the ai's turn.
    Basically, sometimes both player get stuck during ai's turn, sometime just one player
    The common thing, wich is provoking the de-sync, in my opinion, is the DIPLOMATIE with the AI. On each campaign, it s happens during the ai's turn, when a lot of diplomatie is going on.

Exemple;on the second campaign, during the ai's turn, my friend told me one faction wanted to make a defensive alliance with him, he accepted, and for him ai's turn was over, but not for me, i was stuck on one faction while for him it was my turn.
    We've reloaded it, he has made the defensive alliance with that faction BEFORE ending the turn (before the ai's turn), then he has ended the turn, and boom , magic, no de sync.

Optionnal:both got greek dlc, same language of steam, and both good machines and playing on the beta patch 4

Solution, in our opinion is : need to run some test during ai's trun of every potential diplomatic event between ai and player.
    exemple: a faction try trade with player, or a military acces, or military alliance, or defensive alliance, ANYTHING an AI is able to ask, and see what is provoking the De-synch

Again, ty for the great game you guys are providing, we won't be trying to help if it was not worthfull.
    Keep doing what ur doing guys, game is on a great way to be awesome, last patch made the ai way more interesting to play agaisnt than it was till now, keep going!

Thanks for all , Looky

We're a few turn later the de-synch fixed, and it happened again, same, one of us (me) had diplomatic actions (trades and and defensive alliance) proposed by others factions, and it made DE synch my friend.
    In that campaign, we both got sattrapy/client/ around 3-4 each, some defensive and military ally's.
    The de synch is coming for sure, from a diplomatic problem.
  • BurockoBurocko Junior Member Posts: 3Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    hello,when we play coop with my friend,i playing siege/land/sea battles theres no desyncs but when my friend play is him battle ,desync occurs not only siege maps,its occur nearly all battles,and im host,
    -we dont use any mods
    -we have greek states culture pack.
    -i was playing at english and my friend as playing was turkish
    -My download location was at Austria
    Now i gona try select same DL location and try same language hope this works,and i cant send descync_report.txt becouse when i upload error occurs at attachments section.i can send some mp saves

autosave.save_multiplayer,multiplayer_campaign_60414be_12.save_multiplayer
    http://dosya.co/k563j2i9rhdr/desync_report.txt.html
  • BurockoBurocko Junior Member Posts: 3Registered Users
    edited October 2013
  • nipper33nipper33 Member Posts: 68Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    I am having a desync issue in a Multi-player campaign in Head to Head, I am Carthage and my friend is playing as Rome,
    the Desync happens in a siege battled of Tingis where i am the defender against an AI army.
    1. I have no mods installed
    2. We Both own the Greek DLC
    3. Language is English
    4. Download region is UK London
  • KassuKassu Member Posts: 45Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    Hi

We have encountered numerous desyncs in head to head multiplayer campaign after the new patch nro 5. Before that (and after the first patches) we had desyncs quite rarely, maybe one every 30 turn. Now they pop up every second or third turn.

We are using Radious complete overhaul and its the newest version made for patch 5.
    Greek States and also Seleucids are both in use.
    The language is english.
    Download region is Finland.

We have tried to restart the campaign couple of times and the desync always happens first time after the player one has completed his round. Then we can complete one or two rounds and the game freezes for the other player for some random small factions turn, when the other player gets thru the ai rounds to his new round. We also encounter numerous "Waiting for player" notifications in the ai turns as well as human turns.

For some reason I cant attach the desync file but here is the text:
    Campaign DESYNC DETECTED at game tick 0
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Total War Rome II\rome2.exe
    IN SYNC:
    sth11sbkasperh
    OO SYNC:
    kbi11iheikkir

LOG FOR TICK 0 (sum 4AE549A0, 3 items logged):
    0: WORLD::WORLD A72E3551 0 0 LINE 839 entry 0
    1: CAMPAIGN_MODEL::CAMPAIGN_MODEL 48C17E56 0 0 LINE 2075 entry 1
    2: CAMPAIGN_ENV::CAMPAIGN_ENV E983F679 48C17E56 0 LINE 1738 entry 2
    edited October 2013
    Would be nice to get some sort of notification from the CA staff that they are addressing the issue and doing something for it. We had tens of hours of nonbugged head to head campaign before patch 5. We just tested again and had the same issue in the very first turn, my game stopped to Syracusa's turn and my friend got thru to what was supposed to be mine turn.
  • Matthias CAMatthias CA Administrator UKPosts: 2,596Registered Users
    edited November 2013
    Hi Kassu,

Sorry for the late reply.

Yes we are still working on these issues and trying to get a fix. Please do not hesitate to send your new saved games here.

Thank you for your understanding,

Matthias
    PLEASE READ THIS THREAD BEFORE POSTING YOUR ISSUE ON THE SUPPORT FORUMS.

Need to contact us?

Forum Terms & Conditions

Formal disclaimer: any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.
  • SPErestorSPErestor Junior Member Posts: 1Registered Users
    edited November 2013
    Hello CA Team. I will expose my case.

-We have the same 7 mods (each one touches different things so they don't enter in conflict with each other).
    -We play in english because you just can play one of those mods in that language (we are spaniards).
    -So in Steam/Settings/Downloads/Region....we got Spain-Portugal
    -We got all the DLCs installed. (4)

The problem of desyncs started coming after the last patch 5.1 beta. I can't play multiplayer battles neither multi campaigns

So I will attach the Desync_report.txt file and the savegame of our multi coop campaign. You will find:
    - desync_report.txt
    - 3 multiplayer campaign saves (in wich we're having problems)

https://mega.co.nz/#!nNQUzRZS!Bu6-F1uv7R28qM2NRKevPT_cguA5nPy0jpfJByzUl0A

Thanks for the help.
  • P4ntzP4ntz Junior Member Posts: 38Registered Users
    edited November 2013
    Hi there

Thanks for all , Looky

We have the exact same issue as what was posted above..

PLEASE RESPOND CA. THIS IS HAPPENING TO A LOT OF PEOPLE
    edited November 2013
    We also do not have any recorded Desync's in the file directory so it is completely the political aspect of it. the exact same thing is happening to us. We love this game, as we still play it tons throughout all the patches, have 240+ hours of gameplay each but this is really getting frustrating when we get 30+ turns into a campaign and then have it start bugging every 2 turns to the point where we have to give up on it because it is literally unplayable (not being sarcastic it just isnt at all and wont let us progress). We really dont have a choice any more if there isnt communication happening. Please respond as how we should proceed with this.
  • SlaistsSlaists Senior Member Posts: 2,902Registered Users
    edited November 2013
    Since patch VII, my friend and I are having constant MPC head-to-head campaign desyncs. Before patch 7, we had 1 desync over some 50+ turns played in a campaign. Post patch 7, desyncs crawl in at random times (we restarded 3 fresh campaigns, all of them ended in a desync some 10-20 turns in). Before patch 7, the desync we had, we fixed by me (the host) sending the latest save game file to my opponent. Post patch 7, it is impossible to fix the desync this way.

we detect the desyncs during the AI turns. probably, the problem crawls in earlier (before we detect it). The desync manifests itself as one of us seeing the diplomatic AI move forward (through factions) while the other player sees it stuck on some faction. Alternatively, one of us observes the AI going through its rounds while the other player does not see any AI movement (the interface is still stuck on the opposing human player's icon).

Another desync manifested itself in the form of weather. Upon entering a battle, I got rain (with the 2 FPS bug on top of that), while my partner saw sun. We ended the battle by quitting (it did not crash) and subsequently, on the next turn, the campaign desync happened as described above: I saw the turn still stuck on my partner's icon while he saw AI factions cycling.

There is no desync report in the C:\Users\...\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Rome2\logs directory for any of these desync's. The last desync report there is from October 20 something, but we played today (November 23rd).

We are not using any mods, pure, vanilla, patch 7 game.

We both own Greek state pack; we both own Seleucid expansion; we both own the steppe peoples' expansion.

My download region is in the US, Boston; My friend is in Romania, EU.

I have attached a save-game from the latest turn in the last desync'ed campaign we experienced today.

Would be great if this gets fixed. MPC is the only way this game is enjoyable (for us) due to extremely poor AI in SP.
  • VilmurinVilmurin Senior Member RomaniaPosts: 1,037Registered Users
    edited November 2013
    Slaists wrote: »
    Since patch VII, my friend and I are having constant MPC head-to-head campaign desyncs. Before patch 7, we had 1 desync over some 50+ turns played in a campaign. Post patch 7, desyncs crawl in at random times (we restarded 3 fresh campaigns, all of them ended in a desync some 10-20 turns in). Before patch 7, the desync we had, we fixed by me (the host) sending the latest save game file to my opponent. Post patch 7, it is impossible to fix the desync this way.

we detect the desyncs during the AI turns. probably, the problem crawls in earlier (before we detect it). The desync manifests itself as one of us seeing the diplomatic AI move forward (through factions) while the other player sees it stuck on some faction. Alternatively, one of us observes the AI going through its rounds while the other player does not see any AI movement (the interface is still stuck on the opposing human player's icon).

Another desync manifested itself in the form of weather. Upon entering a battle, I got rain (with the 2 FPS bug on top of that), while my partner saw sun. We ended the battle by quitting (it did not crash) and subsequently, on the next turn, the campaign desync happened as described above: I saw the turn still stuck on my partner's icon while he saw AI factions cycling.

There is no desync report in the C:\Users\...\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Rome2\logs directory for any of these desync's. The last desync report there is from October 20 something, but we played today (November 23rd).

We are not using any mods, pure, vanilla, patch 7 game.

We both own Greek state pack; we both own Seleucid expansion; we both own the steppe peoples' expansion.

My download region is in the US, Boston; My friend is in Romania, EU.

I have attached a save-game from the latest turn in the last desync'ed campaign we experienced today.

Would be great if this gets fixed. MPC is the only way this game is enjoyable (for us) due to extremely poor AI in SP.

I'll add my version of my local save game. Reloading this save game, or a previous one did not help. The problem is with the AI turn, we rarely see the same AI movement. Usually my friend is in diplomacy with an AI while I'm still cycling or the other way around.
    Attachment not found.
    Attachment not found.
    edited November 2013
    We are having the same kind of problems with the desyncs in ai turns. The game is unplayable. CA, how about growing some balls and start taking responsability??? At first you could start showing your faces in customer support more often than once in 2 weeks! Then go to Google and search for beta test. How can this kind of game breaking bugs go through your so called quality control??? It seems like you dont care at all about your customer satisfaction after you get their money. Pathetic show from you.
    edited November 2013
    I have to add that the ai desync bug was already in Patch 7 BETA and it was reported here in the forums SEVERAL TIMES (for example http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/111155-Patch-7-beta-Coop-desyncs or http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/111345-Continual-Crashes-in-Multip-layer-Campaign). WHY DID IT PASS TO THE PATCH 7 WHEN IT WAS REPORTED IN THE BETA PHASE??
    edited November 2013
    This is above all the most important thing to be fixed as to while my friend and I can play with most gameplay bugs, we physically cannot play the game past a few turns as that is when the desyncs start to pop up.. only so many times you can restart the game. We love this game and know you guys have a lot on your plate but a response would really boost our moral at this point.
  • passonpasson Member Posts: 30Registered Users
    edited November 2013
    Don't worry guys... these are rare desyncs. Only happen very infrequently.
    edited November 2013
    Try every co-op campaign between the turns of 5-20 with regards to any political aspect to the game. Nice comment troll.
  • SlaistsSlaists Senior Member Posts: 2,902Registered Users
    edited November 2013
    huh, infrequently? yesterday we restarted 3 campaigns I think: happened in every single one of them.
  • AlMustaquinAlMustaquin Junior Member Posts: 14Registered Users
    edited November 2013
    The OP is jsut delicous. "We have successfully squashed the following desync".... Cross-language desync....

What do u expect ? A ******g clap on your shoulder ? Are u even serious ? "Cross-language desync" ? Is this the first game u made ?

Jesus...

And btw. save games between clients with different languages end up CORRUPT. GJ guys.
  • roy64roy64 Senior Member Posts: 101Registered Users
    edited November 2013
    My problem:

Playing campaign coop with my brother and after 10 turns the computers stops being synchronized.
    When this happens, we have to quit the game, start a new campaign and ones again, after 10 turns it ****** up again.

What we have tried:

In detail, follow these steps:
    1. Go to the following directory: C:\Users\%YourUsername%\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Rome2\save_games_multiplayer. Keep in mind that the AppData folder is a hidden folder.

2. In this directory you will see a file called autosave.save_multiplayer. Copy this file to the "C:\Users\%YourUsername%\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Rome2\save_games_multiplayer" directory on your brothers PC and overwrite the existing autosave.save_multiplayer file.

3. Start the game and continue playing.

At the beginning it probably works for around 5-8 turns, then after you have done this lets say 4-5 times it stops working. You´ll get desync as soon as you press the END TURN.

-I have no desync text file.
    - No mods installed
    - Both have Greek cities dlc
    - Both using English
    - Both bought from steam
    - Both verified cache
    - Both downloading from Norway

If this problem was already in the Patch 7 BETA, WHY haven't you fixed it yet? We are at 15-17 now? What the HELL?
    Nice to buy a game that I cant play for more then 1 hour.
    DEFEATED WARRIOS GO TO WAR FIRST AND THEN SEEK TO WIN.
    VICTORIOUS WARRIOS WIN FIRST, AND THEN GO TO WAR.

-SUN TZU
    edited November 2013
    Thanks for your input Roy64, really hope CA begins to respond to this issue as it is cutting off a large portion of their player base. Still waiting for a response from them.
  • furiocamilo1furiocamilo1 Junior Member Posts: 1Registered Users
    edited November 2013
    Hello , me and my brother have the same version , the same language ( Spanish ) , but then often start with parch 7 new campaigns, the game is out of sync, sometimes on turn 8 or other different turn.
    I think I found the problem of desynchronization : It's because when a faction speaks to my brother, usually until the does not give you an answer does not advance the turn, but is out of sync when a faction speaks and continues to advance my turn , therefore the game is out of sync because of this , and eventually falls in that faction and the turn can not continue.

We came to several conclusions:
    1. The game may not play due to this problem of desynchronization .
    2. No good if you save the game each turn, sooner or later you will talk a faction and pass the anteriror problem.
    3. The information saved does not serve you , Example: saved turn 28 and the 29 , then turn 28 loads of sync , turn 29 can you keep playing but to turn 30 or 31 of sync.
    4. is because you speak the faction and the other player (my brother ) does not detect that I talk faction and follows the turn.

The conclusión, the problema is the Diplomacy.

I hope you understand, check if this is the cause prooblema of desynchronization.
  • scratch420scratch420 Banned Posts: 16Banned Users
    edited November 2013
    heres an autosave with desync. playing on patch 7 both and no cross-language thing
    oh and no desync.txt files on logs.
    next turn one of us stucks in changing turn
    autosave.save_multiplayer
This discussion has been closed.