Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Drop in battles? Do you

FieldMarshalWiegandFieldMarshalWiegand Junior MemberPosts: 21Registered Users
edited March 2011 in Total War: Shogun 2
I know that some of us like to select drop in battles for our campaigns but how many of u make yourself available to fight in drop in battles if its not your campaign. It was my experience in Napoleon Total war that i could search for hours but would never find any partners....

What if the avatar could have some sort of unlockable armor for competing in a bunch of drop in battles for others...just some thoughts, love to hear what others have to say
Post edited by FieldMarshalWiegand on

Comments

• SergeorSergeor Senior Member Posts: 111Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    I will certainly play any drop-in battles that aren't my own campaign if I am invited. There is nothing as fun as crushing other players armies :)
  • quezcotlquezcotl Senior Member Posts: 670Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    Sergeor, please "drop in" while my 2000 veteran archers aim at your general. :)
    edited March 2011
    What are your archers going to do when my other 19 units of katana cavarly are rusing over your archers? :)
    edited March 2011
    Call in my Elite Spearmen who hide in the nearby woods that you overlooked :P
  • SugamSugam Senior Member Posts: 400Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    Sergeor wrote: »
    I will certainly play any drop-in battles that aren't my own campaign if I am invited. There is nothing as fun as crushing other players armies :)

Agreed!
  • MontcalmMontcalm Senior Member Posts: 489Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    Hello,
    The idea of special unlockable piece of armour for drop in players seems like a very good idea to entice more gamers to participate. I had the same problem with Napoleon, very little players for drop in battles. I'm looking forward to them.
  • IngkalaIngkala Senior Member Posts: 330Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    I'll be trying to join drop in battles tomorrow. Search for them in your campaign if you dare!
  • Wonderboy2402Wonderboy2402 Senior Member Posts: 113Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    I do wonder if there needs to be incentive for drop in battles. Seems to me just playing a AI army randomly doesn't yeild much in the way of long term goals. If I mean, you have no investment in the AI army defeating the player army other then to make that players game miserable, lol.
  • George ClooneyGeorge Clooney Senior Member Posts: 188Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    I expect to make a lot of angry little kids load a saved game because they couldnt handle defeat.. bwahahha
    edited March 2011
    I do wonder if there needs to be incentive for drop in battles. Seems to me just playing a AI army randomly doesn't yeild much in the way of long term goals. If I mean, you have no investment in the AI army defeating the player army other then to make that players game miserable, lol.

That's is the main reason i'm going to play those! And I'm just curious to see what kind of armies AI have..
  • Lucius BrutusLucius Brutus Senior Member Posts: 889Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    If I get an invite, then I would love to mess up other peoples' campaigns. I won't enable them for my own campaign, I'd die too easy. 3:
  • ranknfileranknfile Senior Member Posts: 6,859Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    I think the drop in feature is fantastic. I have been a "wee bit selfish" and only do this in my campaigns though. I intend to do some NTW drop ins as an opponent when I need a break from Shogun 2 as I do enjoy the battles in NTW.

I just feel cowardly when I play the AI instead of a drop in (that doesn't mean I won't retreat instead of fighting a drop in though).

Drop in battles keep me "honest" in that I can no longer "confidently" take on armies equal or greater than mine and win every time.

In fact I often get my clocked cleaned in online battles. It makes the victories I do have over human opponents - and the eventual campaign victory (it that happens) all the sweeter.
    "Whoever desires is always poor" - Claudian
  • CA PeteCA Pete Creative Assembly Posts: 285CA Staff Mods, CA Staff
    edited March 2011
    I'll be dropping in as and when I can. It may be the toughest fight of your life, or it might be a total wipeout for me, but either way, I think the Drop In feature is a great feature. Bit annoyed I never was able to find anyone using it in Napoleon.
    - Advisor, gentleman, part-time rogue, and at your service.

Formal disclaimer: any views or opinions expressed on this forum are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.
    Forum Terms & Conditions

@peter5tewart
    edited March 2011
    I just hope people doesnt act like "BEEEP" what I mean is take the whole A.I's army and just "headhunt" the general.
    That mke no sense beside just screwing your campaign up.
  • rayrox222rayrox222 Senior Member Posts: 335Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    I know that some of us like to select drop in battles for our campaigns but how many of u make yourself available to fight in drop in battles if its not your campaign. It was my experience in Napoleon Total war that i could search for hours but would never find any partners....

What if the avatar could have some sort of unlockable armor for competing in a bunch of drop in battles for others...just some thoughts, love to hear what others have to say

Having never played past total war medieval 2, drop in battles are going to be a new feature for me

your post worries me that no one does drop in battles for other peoples' campaigns. My answer is yes yes yes I will play in others' drop in battles and hope they do the same for me. I want to face off against players with their unpredictable tactics. And if the wait is more than a few minutes, I'm just going to have to hope that the BAI is as good as some people are saying . . .

playing normal battle difficulty btw, because it's very important for you to know with drop in battles, the human player gets all the stat advantages for their units as they are simply subbing in for the AI, so I would imagine normal is the most popular mode for drop in battles as normal mode gives no units any special bonuses and it's a perfectly fair match up.
    edited March 2011

Sadly, I have to say I have a track record in online gaming for griefing other players so this totally appeals to me lol
  • ultrariloultrarilo Senior Member Posts: 107Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    I'd love to play drop in games for other people's campaigns. Fun to give people a challenge over the AI.
    edited March 2011
    quezcotl wrote: »
    I just hope people doesnt act like "BEEEP" what I mean is take the whole A.I's army and just "headhunt" the general.

I don't understand the problem. The only thing that can catch up to your general's bodyguard unit is light cavalry, and the general's bodyguard would crush light cavalry. If you fail to outmaneuver ranged weapons or slower units, it's your own fault isn't it? OK, so mounted archers could outmaneuver and pepper your general's unit with arrows, but then all you need is to ride around archers (on foot) I think are the best counter to mounted archers, no?
  • ReignerReigner Junior Member Posts: 14Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    I plan to look for someone to fight in every one of my campaign battles (except for the '2 bow ashigaru against a full stack' kind of battles). I've always hated the predictability and unrewarding feeling of beating the AI in campaigns, hope to see some of you on my battlefields :D
  • CA PeteCA Pete Creative Assembly Posts: 285CA Staff Mods, CA Staff
    edited March 2011
    Reigner wrote: »
    I plan to look for someone to fight in every one of my campaign battles (except for the '2 bow ashigaru against a full stack' kind of battles). I've always hated the predictability and unrewarding feeling of beating the AI in campaigns, hope to see some of you on my battlefields :D

If it's the same as Napoleon, you can only have a Drop-In if it's a relatively even match.
    - Advisor, gentleman, part-time rogue, and at your service.

Formal disclaimer: any views or opinions expressed on this forum are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.
    Forum Terms & Conditions

@peter5tewart
    edited March 2011
    quezcotl wrote: »

That would indeed be disruptive... Never even occurred to me that sort of behavior might happen. I can see the suidicdal army just all in, but I guess a decent player could still protect his general.

I was expecting more along the lines of griefing like running armies in circles and that sort of thing. =X But your scenario seems very likely.
  • HowlerHowler Senior Member Posts: 106Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    Just wondering do you have to be invited or invite people for the drop in feature to work?

Because most of my steam friends won't be playing stw2.

Thanks in advance.
    i fear no man, except those who think they inherited the universe.

To do all that one can do is to be man,
    To do all that one wants to is to be God.
  • ranknfileranknfile Senior Member Posts: 6,859Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    Howler wrote: »
    Just wondering do you have to be invited or invite people for the drop in feature to work?

Because most of my steam friends won't be playing stw2.

Thanks in advance.

I'll tell you all I know - when starting a campaign in NTW you must check "Enable Drop in battles" - then if the sides are approximately equal in a battle that occurs during the game, you will have the option to search for an opponent. I have no idea who these people are or where they live , but am grateful to them - they teach me humility and also - should I win - give me a sense of accomplishment beating the AI would never provide.

I haven't done anything but this as far as drop ins or multiplayer is concerned - check out the multiplayer section below this one for more info.
    "Whoever desires is always poor" - Claudian
  • HowlerHowler Senior Member Posts: 106Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    ranknfile wrote: »
    I'll tell you all I know - when starting a campaign in NTW you must check "Enable Drop in battles" - then if the sides are approximately equal in a battle that occurs during the game, you will have the option to search for an opponent. I have no idea who these people are or where they live , but am grateful to them - they teach me humility and also - should I win - give me a sense of accomplishment beating the AI would never provide.

I haven't done anything but this as far as drop ins or multiplayer is concerned - check out the multiplayer section below this one for more info.

Thank you
    i fear no man, except those who think they inherited the universe.

To do all that one can do is to be man,
    To do all that one wants to is to be God.
  • TheDuffmanTheDuffman Senior Member Posts: 369Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    Shogun 2 has opened my eyes a bit at the multiplayer prospects, i've basically only played the AI but the multiplayer on shogun seems too good too miss, I just hope versing the AI (no matter what difficulty) doesn't make me the noobiest noob there is. Look forward to seeing you guys on the battlefield sometime :)
    Interesting Signature.

If you disagree with the above comment, your lying, because your still reading.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 7,062
    edited March 2011
    I never played the previous games while connected to the internet however I've already made a promise to myself to only play this game online so I'll always make sure I'm available to be dragged into other peoples battles as a drop in.
    edited March 2011
    Just wanted to say, you online avatar gets experience if you drop into someone else's single player game.
  • drtechnodrtechno Member Posts: 65Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    *chuckle* I just love how every player things they are the best in the world and how they are going to mess up other people's campaigns through superior tactics. Reminds me of Counter-Strike, where everyone thinks they are awesome before the round starts.
    May the whiners be in your foes' minds, the fanboys in your favor. May the whiners bow in your presence and the fanboys submit themselves. May the whiners of the world tremble at the mention of you, oh Creative Assembly.