Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Keyboard does not work in game

KitchenKitchen MemberRegistered Users Posts: 38
edited December 2014 in Total War Eras Support
My keyboard stopped working while I was playing the game, it works for everything else but Rome 2. It was previously working in the game but stopped responding suddenly. I am also unable to move the map with my mouse, I have re installed the game, changed my bindings to default and also tried mapping them to other keys.

All latest updates are applied to games along with steam, this problem also persists when used with other keyboard/mouse configurations. All USB ports have also been tested with the same results received. Uninstalling and and re-installing it made it work for a period of time, maybe 5-10 turns.
Post edited by Kitchen on

Comments

• Jonathan4jcJonathan4jc Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 4
    edited September 2013
    Same thing here. Can only move by clicking mini map. Extremely annoying and makes game very cumbersome to play. Almost don't play.
  • antarpantarp Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 20
    edited September 2013
    Till now the only way to get rid is to start over a new campaign. Hopefully CA will have a look at this. Most probably introduced in Patch 3 beta , if you are playing at that level of SW. Once happen it seems that the ongoing campaign gets corrupted and to work around it you have , practically, abandon the campaign...
    If I manage to find another workaround I'll let you know.
  • KitchenKitchen Member Registered Users Posts: 38
    edited September 2013
    antarp wrote: »
    Till now the only way to get rid is to start over a new campaign. Hopefully CA will have a look at this. Most probably introduced in Patch 3 beta , if you are playing at that level of SW. Once happen it seems that the ongoing campaign gets corrupted and to work around it you have , practically, abandon the campaign...
    If I manage to find another workaround I'll let you know.

Even when I start new game this happens within a matter of turns
    edited September 2013
    Patch 3 beta is out, still the same problem.
  • Griffinator CAGriffinator CA Creative Assembly CA Staff Mods, CA Staff Posts: 506
    edited September 2013
    What keyboard type are you using?

Griff
    Formal disclaimer: any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.
  • lagardunalagarduna Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 12
    edited September 2013
    happened to me while in game i followed what another member mentioned to fix it and it did.

this is what you need to do if your keyboard is not responding on the campaign map.

Download the file from here -

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-Block-Entries

- open your savegame with "EditSF"
    - go to:
    - CAMPAIGN_SAVE_GAME
    - COMPRESSED_DATA
    - CAMPAIGN_ENV
    - and click on CAMPAIGN_CAMERA_MANAGER and change the Value 1 to 0
    - save the file and add ".save" to the new file, the programm doesn't make it automatically

iafter you press save wait a bit as the program is loading the changes, should be around 10 seconds or so for me.

anyway holped this fix your issue, it did fixed mine right away
    edited September 2013
    What keyboard type are you using?

Griff

I've tried three different keyboards in total, I'd like to add at certain points in the game the keyboard begins responding again such as in battles. The keyboards that I have tried are as follows

Generic OEM HP keyboard (USB)
    Generic OEM Gigabyte (PS/2)
    Razer Death stakler (USB) with latest drivers

All three keyboards do not work on the campaign map but will work while playing a battle, all three will start a new campaign game working but eventually will stop working after a certain number of turns.

lagarduna wrote: »
    happened to me while in game i followed what another member mentioned to fix it and it did.

this is what you need to do if your keyboard is not responding on the campaign map.

Download the file from here -

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-Block-Entries

- go to:
    - CAMPAIGN_SAVE_GAME
    - COMPRESSED_DATA
    - CAMPAIGN_ENV
    - save the file and add ".save" to the new file, the programm doesn't make it automatically

iafter you press save wait a bit as the program is loading the changes, should be around 10 seconds or so for me.

anyway holped this fix your issue, it did fixed mine right away

I would like to try this but your link goes to a removed page.

I was able to find this program searching the forums for "EditSF" After I had the program open I followed your steps with no problem but once in game I was still not able to move the camera. I then tried setting the value to 1 then back to zero again but had the same results. I waited well over 10 seconds after making the changes and saving the file.

I've now realized whenever I change the value to 0 then save, it reverts back to 1 when I open the save again. I must be doing something wrong, here what I do

Open EditSF
    File>Open>C/Users/Name/Appdata/Roaming/TCA/Rome2/Save_Games>Most recent save
    Click open
    Campaing_save_game>Compressed_Data>Campaign_env>Campaign_camera_Manager>Campaign_camera

While on "Campaign_Camera" enter 0 in value field "System.Ulnt32"

File>save

Here are the other values on the Campaign_Camera field

0.8 System_single
    1 System.Ulnt32
    118 System.Tuple3
    0.0 System.Tuple2
    False System.Boolean

Do I need to change any of the other fields?
  • flamesiumflamesium Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 7
    edited September 2013
    Same problem just started here. Not sure if it's caused by a new patch or because the game crashed during a battle.

Getting kind of old having to abandon TW campaigns due to bugs or corrupted saves, on top of the general awfulness of the launches. It's really fortunate these guys have no genuine like for like competition to speak of or they'd be out of business by now.
    edited September 2013
    I still need help with this problem, Griffinator are you able to assist me?
    edited September 2013
    Does anybody have any other suggestions?
  • Griffinator CAGriffinator CA Creative Assembly CA Staff Mods, CA Staff Posts: 506
    edited September 2013
    I will see if we can reproduce this in house,
    is this happening on the main campaign screen or is this in battle?,

can you describe exactly what you re doing so we can reproduce this and get it fixed as fast as possible.

Griff
    Formal disclaimer: any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.
    edited September 2013
    I will see if we can reproduce this in house,
    is this happening on the main campaign screen or is this in battle?,

can you describe exactly what you re doing so we can reproduce this and get it fixed as fast as possible.

Griff

This only happens while on the main campaign screen, in battle everything works. Everything but the map movement works while on the main campaign screen. All short cuts work, except when they have anything to do with movement of the map. Even if I change the bindings for camera movement the keys will still not work, moving my mouse courser to the edges of the screen will also not move the map.

I've been on many forums mainly TWC talking with many other people who have the exact same problem as me, I have had this problem since the day I bought this game and so far have not been able to use the game. I've also had help tickets open for somewhere around 12+ days with no progress in them.

I'd also like to add my ticket for help was just deleted after not being solved, I had last asked for more support with my situation but it was closed anyway. I'm very dissapointed in being treated this way by your company, I had a valid ticket open that had not been solved. I had been very civil and appreciative throughout my conversation with the representative but somehow it was seen fit to end my help with no explanation given to me or my approval of my situation being solved. I guess I am just one person and you already have my money so it doesn't matter much, I'd just like to point out I have been unable to use this product since day one.
  • AlJabberwockAlJabberwock Moderator USAModerators, Tech Moderators, Knights Posts: 7,729
    edited September 2013
    Sorry your having this trouble Kitchen,
    Whatever 'ticket' you are describing would be outside of the scope or knowledge of the people on this forum, so in addition to the information you have provided Griff, if you could post a DxDiag it would certainly help. WE aren't going to delete any thread so long as you keep working with us! :)

To post a DxDiag, follow these instructions and remember you may need to break it up into up to three posts to avoid a character length error: http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/93590-BEFORE-POSTING-IN-SUPPORT-(DxDiag-FAQ-s)?p=782685&viewfull=1#post782685
    Thanks! ~Al
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Every so often things happen that can’t be rationalized in a conventional way. People wanna know their government has a response. I am that response.”
    ― Kent Mansley (in "Iron Giant")

For most general problems, for which you have no idea of the culprit, your first port of call should be:
    https://support.sega.co.uk/hc/en-us/categories/200307381-Total-War-Support

If you are aware of a bug or a specific issue for which you know the cause, post in the support section for the specific title on our forums. ~Al

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
  • lagardunalagarduna Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 12
    edited September 2013
    Kitchen wrote: »
    Does anybody have any other suggestions?

i did the same thing for me for some reasons the program needs time to change the settings
    i did it like 4 or 5 times before it changed it to 1
  • somraksomrak Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2
    edited September 2013
    Works for me, thanks for solving the problem.
    I'm afraid we will face more bugs in the hastily done patches... I still don't fully understand how such a company like CA allowed this product to be released.
    edited September 2013
    lagarduna wrote: »
    i did the same thing for me for some reasons the program needs time to change the settings
    i did it like 4 or 5 times before it changed it to 1

I'm slightly confused, these are the steps I have read

- go to:
    - CAMPAIGN_SAVE_GAME
    - COMPRESSED_DATA
    - CAMPAIGN_ENV

They tell me to change the value to 0, not to 1 as you suggest. The setting for me is already set to 1, or am I looking at the wrong value? If I were able to get a refund I would have already, but unfortunately I bought my copy from game stop. I'm still not able to play this game.
    edited October 2013
    I still cannot play this game
    edited October 2013
    Please post a full dxdiag as Al has suggested,

http://forums.totalwar.com/showthrea...l=1#post782685

Griff
    edited October 2013
    Please post a full dxdiag as Al has suggested,

http://forums.totalwar.com/showthrea...l=1#post782685

Griff

That link is broken but here is my Dxdiag,

http://www.mediafire.com/?cd1ajzdzapyyd1i
  • RabidnidRabidnid Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 29
    edited October 2013
    Same issue. Keyboard does not work at all on the menu page, it does work on the campaign, but again doesn't work during a battle.

It works normally outside Rome II. Issue only appeared with the install of the 4 beta patch about 2 hours ago. I was tryign to start a new game.

Keyboard is logitech K200 USB
    edited October 2013
    I still can't play this game
  • RabidnidRabidnid Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 29
    edited October 2013
    Rabidnid wrote: »
    Same issue. Keyboard does not work at all on the menu page, it does work on the campaign, but again doesn't work during a battle.

It works normally outside Rome II. Issue only appeared with the install of the 4 beta patch about 2 hours ago. I was tryign to start a new game.

Keyboard is logitech K200 USB

I have unistalled the game, deleted everything associated with Rome II out of the common folder in the steam folder, reinstalled without the 4th Beta and the game is back to normal. My issue was only triggered by the 4th Beta.

Let me know if you want the whole thing.

System Information
    Time of this report: 10/5/2013, 17:05:49
    Machine name: XP-344D1497F5C7
    Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_qfe.130704-0421)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: n/a
    System Model: n/a
    BIOS: n/a
    Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X2 555 Processor, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
    Memory: 3326MB RAM
    Page File: 1007MB used, 4201MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.5512 32bit Unicode

DxDiag Notes
    DirectX Files Tab: No problems found.
    Display Tab 1: No problems found.
    Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
    Music Tab: No problems found.
    Input Tab: No problems found.
    Network Tab: No problems found.

DirectX Debug Levels
    Direct3D: 0/4 (n/a)
    DirectDraw: 0/4 (retail)
    DirectInput: 0/5 (n/a)
    DirectMusic: 0/5 (n/a)
    DirectPlay: 0/9 (retail)
    DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
    DirectShow: 0/6 (retail)

Display Devices
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip type: GeForce GTS 250
    DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0615&SUBSYS_34E71458&REV_A2
    Display Memory: 1024.0 MB
    Current Mode: 1440 x 900 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor: BenQ G2200W (Analog)
    Monitor Max Res: 1680,1050
    Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll
    Driver Version: 6.14.0013.1070 (English)
    DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
    Driver Attributes: Final Retail
    Driver Date/Size: 12/4/2012 01:40:50, 4153600 bytes
    WHQL Logo'd: Yes
    WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
    VDD: n/a
    Mini VDD: nv4_mini.sys
    Mini VDD Date: 12/4/2012 01:40:50, 11053992 bytes
    Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-4555-11CF-C673-EA1403C2CB35}
    Vendor ID: 0x10DE
    Device ID: 0x0615
    SubSys ID: 0x34E71458
    Revision ID: 0x00A2
    Revision ID: 0x00A2
    Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_C ModeMPEG2_D
    edited October 2013
    Griffinator, do you have any suggestions I could try to make this game able to be played
    edited October 2013
    I still need help with this
  • SULinietrSULinietr Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1
    edited October 2013
    The edited savegame file worked for us. Thanks for the fix. And by the way it would be a pleasure if you could implement this lil fix into your next patch, so customers do not have to fix it theirself every single time. ;)
    edited October 2013
    SULinietr wrote: »
    The edited savegame file worked for us. Thanks for the fix. And by the way it would be a pleasure if you could implement this lil fix into your next patch, so customers do not have to fix it theirself every single time. ;)

I'd love to be able to play the game I paid for like you are doing, hopefully they will give me some tech support.
    edited October 2013
    I still get this problem with patch 4, when is patch 5 coming out
    edited October 2013
    Griffinator, could you assist me in getting my money back from this game I can't play
  • Matthias CAMatthias CA Administrator UKRegistered Users Posts: 2,596
    edited October 2013
    Hi Kitchen,

Could you post your DxDiag by copy pasting it directly on the forums please as I am unable to open your webpage. (Don't forget the
    [code] tags, second one needs a "/" in front of the word code.)

We are still looking into your issue to solve it. Unfortunately it is hard to reproduce it in-house and therefore to understand what is your issue. But we are still working on it.

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Matthias
    PLEASE READ THIS THREAD BEFORE POSTING YOUR ISSUE ON THE SUPPORT FORUMS.

Need to contact us?

Forum Terms & Conditions

• Robert CARobert CA The Creative Assembly Registered Users, Moderators, Tech Moderators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff Posts: 236
    edited October 2013
    Hello everybody,

I'm sorry you're all have issues with your keyboard controls no longer functioning. Could you please provide all information before the issue occurred. Usually keyboard functionality is lost after a battle, initiated by the AI, because you were viewing a particular menu, such as chat, or the encyclopedia. Could you please provide any information into what you were doing during the AI turn cycle.

If the issue did not occur after a battle, then can you please provide all information regarding your actions up until the point you lost keyboard functionality.

These bugs are very particular in their reproduction steps so any information is valuable.

Please also make it clear if the issue occurred in Single Player Campaign or a Multiplayer Campaign.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

Rob
    My initial response to a post is generated from a template – this is to ensure I receive the information I require to progress forward with your issue.

Forum Terms & Conditions