Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Please fix the REPLAY bug (essential for tournaments, youtube casting)

][G][Mojoman][G][Mojoman MemberRegistered Users Posts: 62
Hai.

TW tournaments are somewhat crippled right now. Why? Because of the effing replay bug.

For those of you who don't know, replays are not visual recordings of battles. They are recordings of the commands that were issued in battles. When a replay file is loaded, the CPU creates an entirely new battle and (in theory) sends exactly the same commands that were issued in the recorded battle.

I say "in theory", because that is not how they currently work. Currently, the CPU is either not sending the same commands, or is not sending them at the right time. Whichever it is (perhaps it's both), the result is that replays end up showing you a completely different battle to the one you saved.

As some of you might know, tournaments rely heavily on YouTubers for publicity. We send them replays of our tournament matches, and they add interesting commentary. With the current state of replays, we cannot do that. The only alternative is to use livestreamers, which is harder to organise, and results in lower-quality videos.

So CA, if you want to see more TW battles on YouTube, please give us the basic tools we need - working replays.

Thanks.
Post edited by ][G][Mojoman on

Comments

• damadman228damadman228 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,437
    edited September 2013
    I absolutely agree. It's hard to wrap my head around this issue considering it was fixed in S2. Now it's back and it's gotten worse. Not only do most replays not show what actually happened, some of them actually crash your game and pretty much none of them show you the unit stats (I haven't seen them once). It's basically impossible to do the most popular kind of commentary or cast tournaments properly. In fact, it's actually required that the admins watch every single match just to make sure the right winner is determined. Of course the latter isn't that much of a problem as long as the players are honest, but I don't expect to be able to rely on that every time. All in all, this replay corruption is one of the bigger problems the game currently has as far as MP is concerned.
    This might be helpful for those still playing S2 MP:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=444087

Also check out this awesome channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/milkandcookiesTW
  • LoulakiLoulaki Member Registered Users Posts: 67
    edited September 2013
    i support this demand !
  • SpectorSpector Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 777
    edited September 2013
    CA has yet to even acknowledge that replays are broken.

It's seems they are content with ignoring this as long as possible and fix it among the last.
    Playing Total War since the original Shogun
  • KanzymanKanzyman Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 663
    edited September 2013
    I also support this post.
  • vonPauluSvonPauluS Senior Member Kiev, UkraineRegistered Users Posts: 278
    edited September 2013
    Support this! thats even to so hard to fix that bug i suppose!
  • GwyndaneTWCCGwyndaneTWCC Banned Banned Users Posts: 30
    edited September 2013
    I support this as well.
  • HarbaHarba Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 256
    edited September 2013
    I support this and want it fixed asap. I can't even watch my own replays for educational purposes and all the recordings of EPIC battles are useless..
  • The KestrelThe Kestrel Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 850
    edited September 2013
    This is the biggest bug I've encountered so far in Rome II. Admittedly, I haven't been able to play as much as I would like, and so haven't encountered many of the other bugs, but it is a glaring problem.
  • tripwirescarstripwirescars Member Registered Users Posts: 34
    edited September 2013
    although there are a lot of things for ca to fix atm. this should be a top priority. w/o workable replays the mp community suffers greatly.
  • Wolf_TWWolf_TW Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1
    edited September 2013
    Agreed.

As an older TW player who mentors younger players in a clan, replays are invaluable for training and dissecting your trainee's actions and misplays. It simply isn't possible to do with the current status of replays.

This needs to be fixed.
  • RTKBossTycoOonRTKBossTycoOon Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 117
    edited September 2013
    I agree fix this. It's ridiculous that this is even an issue...
    Round Table Knights Emissary & Administrator of The Holy Grail Wars~
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/BossTycoOon/

"Then I suggest to limit one squad of Sparta! All others will be peasants! ONLY HARDCORE" - ONL1FAN

"Rome 2 pitiful shadow '96 release one pixel" - ONL1FAN

"AI long stroke!" - ONL1FAN
  • Sir TwiG of ShrubberySir TwiG of Shrubbery Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 390
    edited September 2013
    Wasn't this an issue when shogun 2 came out

I just don't understand how they ****** it up again
    RTK | TwiG
  • damadman228damadman228 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,437
    edited September 2013
    Wasn't this an issue when shogun 2 came out

I think the replays were fine at the start. Some patch then managed to break them, though they continued to work in classic mode. Those replays would only be broken whenever a new version of the game came out. CA took months to even acknowledge the problem, fixing it didn't take them long after that.
    This might be helpful for those still playing S2 MP:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=444087

Also check out this awesome channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/milkandcookiesTW
  • Fire Water GasolineFire Water Gasoline Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 13
    edited September 2013
  • spartacspartac Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 760
    edited September 2013
    Supporting.I need material for school presentations and the replay bug is going to make saying 1 and showing other.
    Favourite generals:
    Vladimir Vazov
    Nikolai Stoletov
    Napoleon Bonapart
    Mikhail Kutuzov
    George Vazov
    King Simeon I The Great of Bulgaria
    Ivan AsenII The Great of Bulgaria
    Hannibal
    Scipio Africanus

Steam:http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198066655192/
  • zariptzaript Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 996
    edited September 2013
    Absolutely essential for coverage and judgment of tournament disputes.
  • ViivrabeViivrabe Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 434
    edited September 2013
    This must be fixed
    Point is, there is a reason that the ESRB does not rate online [play].

A Knight in shining armor is a knight who has never had his metal truly tested.
  • MefistoMefisto Member Registered Users Posts: 82
    edited September 2013
    CA PLEASE...Fix this issue game is incomplete..and very big issue for me...as i can not see my own units how exactly perform...this problem cripples a game for me a lot..do not make us wait 3- 4 months like with Shogun...idk why you guy making the same mistakes again and again...
    The man who has no problems is out of the game
  • belorebelore Member Registered Users Posts: 81
    edited September 2013
    i support this demand too
    Youtubeur Fifa sur Playstation 4 et Multi-gaming ps4/pc: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0M...5GVj_zBdAedGFw
  • RTK2LionalRTK2Lional Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 154
    edited September 2013
  • JacquestheApostateJacquestheApostate Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 698
    edited September 2013
    ' wrote:
    [G][Mojoman;813298']Hai.

As some of you know, I've been hosting quite a few tournaments recently, along with the TWCC:
    http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/84578-Announcing-The-first-TWCC-1v1-Flash-Tournament

We've also just started sign-ups for our big 128-man tourney, here:
    http://twclancenter.net/forumdisplay.php?f=328

Unfortunately, all TW tournaments are somewhat crippled right now, because of the effing replay bug.

For those of you who don't know, replays are not visual recordings of battles. They are recordings of the commands that were issued in battles. When a replay file is loaded, the CPU creates an entirely new battle and (in theory) sends exactly the same commands that were issued in the recorded battle.

I say "in theory", because that is not how they currently work. Currently, the CPU is either not sending the same commands, or is not sending them at the right time. Whichever it is (perhaps it's both), the result is that replays end up showing you a completely different battle to the one you saved.

As some of you might know, tournaments rely heavily on YouTubers for publicity. We send them replays of our tournament matches, and they add interesting commentary. With the current state of replays, we cannot do that. The only alternative is to use livestreamers, which is harder to organise, and results in lower-quality videos.

So CA, if you want to see more TW battles on YouTube, please give us the basic tools we need - working replays.

Thanks.
    Be aware that they knew of this problem before the game was released. Same thing happened to Shogun II. I am not playing the multi-player till it gets fixed to Shogun II standards. That tells me they don't think of the people that keep them employed. I am very disappointed whit the whole aspect of it. I never would of guessed they would release a game like this.
    3 Kingdoms is a great game campaign wise. Make ranked battles in Records mode. Until that is done it won't be complete.
    Gun Cav in Shogun II should have a Retainer!
    Give us another Avatar Campaign!
  • SupernautSupernaut Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 12
    edited September 2013
    Yes please fix I enjoy watching tourney replays almost as much as I enjoy playing the game.
  • IndyprideIndypride Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,685
    edited September 2013
    I just want to see someone from CA acknowledge the problem. That's it. Just acknowledge that its there. It was fixed on Shogun 2, please don't make us wait months for it to be fixed on Rome 2. Makes it very hard to provide good youtube content
  • alQamaralQamar Banned Banned Users Posts: 1,904
    edited September 2013
  • BabyDollBabyDoll Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 105
    edited September 2013
    Balancing is ofc highly important, but replays allow entertainment and a source of learning for tw players. The sooner it gets fixed the mucho better this game will be :)
    Words are wind.
  • SausagesonSausageson Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 129
    edited September 2013
    Just had an epic battle where I I fought over 10000 syracuse soldiers while having roughly 5000 men. I lost have of my men but almost destroyed the syracuse army. Unforunately instead of having that epic battle immortalized in a replay, it keeps showing a battle where I always lose epically.
  • alQamaralQamar Banned Banned Users Posts: 1,904
    edited September 2013
    this thread needs to be moved to support section :/ they still not commited this bug
  • UbermenschUbermensch Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 3
    edited September 2013
    +1

Supported.
    RTK | Pelleas
  • LittleJohn_ver31LittleJohn_ver31 Member Registered Users Posts: 85
    edited October 2013
    This bug still remains in patch3.
    My almost replay files vomit desync_replay.txt and do not reproduce actual battle or result correctly.
    When is it fixed?
    Total war Rome2 Team Brotherhood Battle 24
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n4BpNh_SyU
  • GwyndaneTWCCGwyndaneTWCC Banned Banned Users Posts: 30
    edited October 2013
    Please fix this CA!