Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Please fix the REPLAY bug (essential for tournaments, youtube casting)

Comments

• justaTWfanjustaTWfan Member Posts: 76Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    Everything i wanted to say has already been covered. I support this post wholeheartedly.
  • AlJabberwockAlJabberwock Moderator USAPosts: 7,729Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights
    edited October 2013
    @OP

Agreed!

(and thinking back on history, you and I: I quote from 'The Chronicles of Ridd.ick')

"Now what would be the odds of that?" ;) ~Al
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Every so often things happen that can’t be rationalized in a conventional way. People wanna know their government has a response. I am that response.”
    ― Kent Mansley (in "Iron Giant")

For most general problems, for which you have no idea of the culprit, your first port of call should be:
    https://support.sega.co.uk/hc/en-us/categories/200307381-Total-War-Support

If you are aware of a bug or a specific issue for which you know the cause, post in the support section for the specific title on our forums. ~Al

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
  • Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Member Posts: 61Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    @OP

Agreed!

(and thinking back on history, you and I: I quote from 'The Chronicles of Ridd.ick')

"Now what would be the odds of that?" ;) ~Al

Is this a joke? A moderator using a quote implying a question of what the odds are that CA fixes the replay bug in a timely manner?

Id say slim to none.
  • AlJabberwockAlJabberwock Moderator USAPosts: 7,729Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights
    edited October 2013
    It is a joke yes, but directed _at_ the OP for his personal amusement about the past history of this moderator and himself being very closely aligned on the same side of the issue at hand.

I'd say there is a reason his post just got stickied, because it is constructive, and also why I can say that I am very confident that it is _currently_ being looked into. Sensationalist nonsense and salubrious misinterpretation are likey to end in the result of 'other'. :) ~Al
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Every so often things happen that can’t be rationalized in a conventional way. People wanna know their government has a response. I am that response.”
    ― Kent Mansley (in "Iron Giant")

For most general problems, for which you have no idea of the culprit, your first port of call should be:
    https://support.sega.co.uk/hc/en-us/categories/200307381-Total-War-Support

If you are aware of a bug or a specific issue for which you know the cause, post in the support section for the specific title on our forums. ~Al

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
  • alQamaralQamar Banned Posts: 1,904Banned Users
    edited October 2013
  • DonesthegosDonesthegos Junior Member Posts: 5Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    I support this.
  • IdefixfoxIdefixfox Junior Member Posts: 12Registered Users
    edited October 2013
  • vonPauluSvonPauluS Senior Member Kiev, UkrainePosts: 278Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    Still no fix for this bug in 1.4 patch! When will they start to communicate with MP community?!
  • ][G][Mojoman][G][Mojoman Member Posts: 62Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    vonPauluS wrote: »
    Still no fix for this bug in 1.4 patch! When will they start to communicate with MP community?!

Surely a sticky is a step in the right direction.

Thanks AL.
  • StewhammerStewhammer Junior Member Posts: 1Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    I support this!
  • El Nacho GrandeEl Nacho Grande Senior Member Posts: 116Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    agreed
    "I am in shape..... round is a shape" - Peter Griffin
  • HenyoHenyo Member Posts: 40Registered Users
    edited October 2013
  • ReabReab Junior Member Posts: 4Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    I hate not having enough time, 'cause I actually wanna help and run some tests of my own. :(
    Anyhow, I will submit what I've noticed so far in (2 replays, both 3 vs 2 city defense)
    While my own actions are copied to the letter (that is as far as I can tell and I payed close attention), my opponents actions fail to be copied to the letter or maybe they did copy them, but the surroundings didn't have the same effect on them, resulting in very different game.

Situation of my first replay:
    The battle ended and the victory screen appeared. I needed a few seconds to make the choice to save the replay and thus there were less then five seconds remaining. I typed in two random letters and hit enter while at the same time the counter had reached zero thus returning me to the main menu. The timing of the enter and the "zero" were split second and I'm quite unsure whether I reached the enter button in time or accidentally hit the shift button.
    The result was a recording of a 11 minutes long battle that I lost instead of won. I believe the battle was somewhat longer than the 11 minutes, but of that I cannot be sure as the timing was possibly only a little off. The use of some siege weaponry failed (, I noticed a single unit moving towards the gate in the replay without their ram, as they had done otherwise with their ram in the original game, it should also be noted that this unit did not take the same fire from the scorpion towers as before). Furthermore one of my opponents left the game and his units stood still for the duration they were wiped out in the original match, but started to move as if given orders at about the time this player left and any AI should have taken over to commandeer the remain units.

Situation of my second replay:
    I had more time to save the replay and save it, though the name I put in were still random letters since I was unsure what would happen if that timer ran out and I hadn't saved my game.
    The result was again a loss as where I had won before. Again my units moved with the same characteristics as I had ordered them, this time I noticed that some of the shots of the towers should have impacted on my opponents units, but failed to do any damage thus allowing my opponent's units to take a relaxing walk on my wall and enjoy the murderous landscape. There was also a ram moving while containing no units and the "pushing" unit was about a 50 meters behind the ram walking in the same direction.

I will end with a conclusion/summary of what I thought were the details easily spotted that went wrong during the replay:
    -Impact of scorpions towers did not happen with many units (if not all) (scorpion towers might have ceased targeting certain units, but of this I'm not a 100% sure)
    -Siege equipment failed to a certain extend
    -AI movement of units that were "dead" or routed

Points that require checking:
    -AI might still order fully routed units, leading to the unit activity at the end of the first replay (I don't know if you want to fix this, but it might be worth knowing this happens)
    -The use of various siege equipment, especially the ram.
    -The impact of various missiles from towers, especially the scorpion missiles. (Mark: siege UNITS seemed to behave relative normally).
    -The return to the main menu, as it might have happened not all required data was send to my computer resulting in the possibly shortened replay time of the first match.
    -The timing of orders

I hope this small report helps. I'm willing to send the replays and a text file with notes on where and when noteworthy events took place, though I'm sure there are many more to be found considering the grandeur in difference between replay and original.
    And I really hope this helps, 'cause I've spend an hour on writing this and it's 2 a.m. and I've got a few busy weeks ahead.
    Also my english is as well formed as the remainder of the roman legions in Teutoburg Forest, so sorry for that and stuff. Feel free to ask questions and such.

Have a good night... Zzz....
  • RTKBarrettRTKBarrett Member Posts: 68Registered Users
    edited October 2013
  • [V&H]Mescaline[V&H]Mescaline Junior Member Posts: 13Registered Users
    edited October 2013
  • Demetrios of MesseneDemetrios of Messene Member Posts: 30Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    Signed!

Why we have to put up with this thing at the launch of every iteration of the series is beyond me...
  • Robert CARobert CA The Creative Assembly Posts: 236Registered Users, Moderators, Tech Moderators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff
    edited October 2013
    Hello everybody,

Can everyone who is having this issue please confirm that the issue is still occurring as of the most recent patch 4 beta (7544.461510), when playing against other player's only, as we're aware of issues regarding replays with the AI.

Attempt to save a new replay on that patch, and observe if the issue still occurs when you view the new replay. If so can you please comment describing the differences between the battle and the replay.

Also to help us further debug the issue can you please attach this replays with your replies.

To post your replays, go to "Go Advanced" under the reply box, then scroll down and find the "manage attachments" button.

Regards,

Rob
    My initial response to a post is generated from a template – this is to ensure I receive the information I require to progress forward with your issue.

Forum Terms & Conditions
    Formal disclaimer: any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.
  • JacquestheApostateJacquestheApostate Senior Member Posts: 672Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    This all should have been ready to go on release date. Still lots of multiplayer issue that need to be resolved.
    3 Kingdoms is a great game campaign wise. Make ranked battles in Records mode. Until that is done it won't be complete.
    Gun Cav in Shogun II should have a Retainer!
    Give us another Avatar Campaign!
    edited October 2013
    Robert CA wrote: »
    Hello everybody,

Can everyone who is having this issue please confirm that the issue is still occurring as of the most recent patch 4 beta (7544.461510), when playing against other player's only, as we're aware of issues regarding replays with the AI.

Attempt to save a new replay on that patch, and observe if the issue still occurs when you view the new replay. If so can you please comment describing the differences between the battle and the replay.

Also to help us further debug the issue can you please attach this replays with your replies.

To post your replays, go to "Go Advanced" under the reply box, then scroll down and find the "manage attachments" button.

Regards,

Rob

Will do. I'll pass these instructions along to others as well.

Thanks for the response.
    edited October 2013
    he asked another thing jacquest. We should test it in hope to get a fix for that soon :)
  • Robert CARobert CA The Creative Assembly Posts: 236Registered Users, Moderators, Tech Moderators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff
    edited October 2013
    Hello everyone,

It appears we may have found the cause of this issue. It appears that if you fought a battle with ranked units, these ranks do not get taken into account in a replay. For instance if you have a fully upgraded Oathsworn unit, this would only be counted as a regular Oathsworn unit in the replay; thus, units that didn't die in the battle because of their rank might die during the replay, changing the course and possible outcome of the battle.

This has been reported to the developers, and we're hoping for a fix in the near future. We're sorry for any inconvenience this may be causing for you all!

If however you don't believe this is the cause of your issue also make sure your opponent also didn't have ranked units, if not please respond :)

Thanks for your patience.

Regards,

Rob
    My initial response to a post is generated from a template – this is to ensure I receive the information I require to progress forward with your issue.

Forum Terms & Conditions
    Formal disclaimer: any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.
  • vonPauluSvonPauluS Senior Member Kiev, UkrainePosts: 278Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    Whooo,at last! Thank you,will do some tests in that direction!
  • bushrangerbushranger Senior Member Posts: 598Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    Does that include units that rank up during battles?
    edited October 2013
    Thanks for the info Robert, that sounds like it was not an easy task easy to locate the issue :)
  • MrZanyGamingMrZanyGaming Senior Member Posts: 657Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    I had this happen to me. I was playing the brain dead AI with my one stack vs 4 stacks. I ended with 8,000 kills and 600 losses. I saved the replay because it was a pretty epic battle....lo behold my army lost about 2 minutes into the replay. The beginning moves in the replay were the same as mine, but then it seemed like an AI simulated battle, which of course resulted in a loss.
    Check out my youtube! http://www.youtube.com/user/MrZanyGaming

Relation with CA faction:
    Previous Total War games: +300
    Modding Workshop: +20

Alliance with SEGA: -100
    Rome 2: -50
    Marketing Campaign: -100
    War with optimization: -50
    War with hardcore fans: -100

Total: -80
    Relation: Hostile
  • IndyprideIndypride Senior Member Posts: 1,671Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    That cannot be the only cause of the issue. I never use upgraded units, and some of my replays have corrupted a couple seconds into the battle, before any units have leveled up. The sheer inaccuracy of replays I don't feel can be attributed to the small stat bonuses given by ranking up a unit. There has to be more to it
  • FullNattyBrahFullNattyBrah Banned Posts: 181Banned Users
    edited October 2013
    Indypride wrote: »
    That cannot be the only cause of the issue. I never use upgraded units, and some of my replays have corrupted a couple seconds into the battle, before any units have leveled up. The sheer inaccuracy of replays I don't feel can be attributed to the small stat bonuses given by ranking up a unit. There has to be more to it

Same.
    All Natural Baby, ALL NATURAL!!
    edited October 2013
    The best solution is for someone to record a game live (use fraps, or a stream) and also record a replay. Then post both the recording and the replay in this thread so that CA can see exactly how they differ.

I'll do it tomorrow if no-one else does.
  • FullNattyBrahFullNattyBrah Banned Posts: 181Banned Users
    edited October 2013
    ' wrote:
    [G][Mojoman;874920']The best solution is for someone to record a game live (use fraps, or a stream) and also record a replay. Then post both the recording and the replay in this thread so that CA can see exactly how they differ.

I'll do it tomorrow if no-one else does.

Do that.
    All Natural Baby, ALL NATURAL!!
  • Half_Life_ExpertHalf_Life_Expert Senior Member Oak Park, CA , USAPosts: 4,686Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    Robert CA wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

It appears we may have found the cause of this issue. It appears that if you fought a battle with ranked units, these ranks do not get taken into account in a replay. For instance if you have a fully upgraded Oathsworn unit, this would only be counted as a regular Oathsworn unit in the replay; thus, units that didn't die in the battle because of their rank might die during the replay, changing the course and possible outcome of the battle.

This has been reported to the developers, and we're hoping for a fix in the near future. We're sorry for any inconvenience this may be causing for you all!

If however you don't believe this is the cause of your issue also make sure your opponent also didn't have ranked units, if not please respond :)

Thanks for your patience.

Regards,

Rob

I haven't used any ranked units, but I hope those I have played with wont have any problems with their replays due to that
    "we have officially entered into pre-whinning about our games."- Cogre

I will always respect differing opinions on here, so long as they are presented maturely and in a civil manner

"No Battleplan ever survives contact with the enemy"- Helmuth Von Moltke the Elder

The WWI Thread: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/30914/why-a-world-war-i-themed-total-war/p1

I'm skipping TW: Warhammer