Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Please fix the REPLAY bug (essential for tournaments, youtube casting)

Comments

• TartknockerTartknocker Senior Member Posts: 205Registered Users
    edited November 2013
    Please fix this I had an incredible close victory and went to show my friend and it ended with me getting defeated which resulted in me being punked and called a liar - wtf?!?
  • FattySvKFattySvK Junior Member Posts: 2Registered Users
    edited December 2013
    I support this !!! :)
  • IndyprideIndypride Senior Member Posts: 1,677Registered Users
    edited December 2013
    Replays were corrupted substantially again by Patch 7. I realize they might not have been completely fixed, but I watch 20 replays pre-patch 7 and they were all very stable and played out pretty much perfectly. Post-patch 7, replays are not even remotely a good representation of what occurred in the battle. As a Youtube commentator, I IMPLORE Creative Assembly to fix this issue once and for all. It is a feature that was fixed completely in Shogun 2, it should not still be plaguing the series 4 years later.
  • alQamaralQamar Banned Posts: 1,904Banned Users
    edited December 2013
    Indypride wrote: »
    Replays were corrupted substantially again by Patch 7. I realize they might not have been completely fixed, but I watch 20 replays pre-patch 7 and they were all very stable and played out pretty much perfectly. Post-patch 7, replays are not even remotely a good representation of what occurred in the battle. As a Youtube commentator, I IMPLORE Creative Assembly to fix this issue once and for all. It is a feature that was fixed completely in Shogun 2, it should not still be plaguing the series 4 years later.

^^ yep. A shameful dispray :)
  • TW Is My LoveTW Is My Love Senior Member Posts: 399Registered Users
    edited December 2013
    I support this !
    ==
    Sassanid Monarchy Coming Soon
  • SelucusSelucus Junior Member Posts: 29Registered Users
    edited December 2013
    a shameful dispray hahaha good one alQamar! yeah the replay bug needs fixing
  • OcelotOcelot Senior Member Posts: 320Registered Users
    edited December 2013
    I support this. I had this problem with Shogun 2 and don't understand why it still exists or keeps recurring. I play the battles and then re-watch to enjoy the graphics and animations etc. How can it even be a feature with the dubious name of 'replay' when it is not even a 'replay'? Please fix CA.
    "And how can man die better than facing fearful odds,
    For the ashes of his fathers, and the temples of his Gods"
  • BabyDollBabyDoll Senior Member Posts: 105Registered Users
    edited December 2013
    CA, plz hear my cries of agony, we (I) would love replays to be fixed. If replays worked, I could analyze battles to determine further why the events occured. With fixed replays, casters could also promote your game with regular replay commentaries, as well as casting tournaments to the utmost extent.

Could we please get a hotfix for this in patch 8, it really means that much to so many of us.

I'll say thx, but I really really want to see this work, it's half the reason I bought the game.... :)
    Words are wind.
  • FullNattyBrahFullNattyBrah Banned Posts: 181Banned Users
    edited December 2013
    replays havent worked since patch 1, what makes you think CA plans to fix it in patch 8? or plans to fix it at all?
    All Natural Baby, ALL NATURAL!!
    edited December 2013
    Gotta try^^
    Words are wind.
    edited December 2013
    replays havent worked since patch 1, what makes you think CA plans to fix it in patch 8? or plans to fix it at all?

what makes me think it could happen: I assume they have decent programmers and they use a bug tracking system aswell as a source code management, so like in a professional company development is made it should be not too hard to find the issue ticket which belong to Shogun 2 about the non working replays, find the change request the developers were given, cut and paste the edited lines of source code and put it into the Rome 2 ones.

Obviously none of this seem to exist or the matter is too complicate or to unimportant to make it happen.

Please do not forget the multiplayer is a nice to have feature. There was a feedback /interview thread on TWC and quite none of the hundreds played multiplayer ever

according to Steam stats we have only
    20.800 different people that assumingly play the multiplayer battle mode ACTIVELY. (not mp campaign).
    If we consider the Steam stats and given the 600.000 copies that have been confirmed to be sold.

21k active multiplayer fans worldwide is a small scale of customers, 1.3% in figures.

This also explains why there is less action taken with the chat lobby, why it is still autodisabled, non-global and need to be accessed a small "hidden" icon on the bottom left instead of a prominent part of the game like in Rome 1, and why we have no proper team chat in battles.

i've spent a lot of time and passion changing that, but people and CLANS are plain not interested into having a team chat and sorts as they use steam overlay or teamspeak or sorts. Which imho (and some other opinons) is not a solution if you like to play again "John Does" you meet on the battlefield in teams and want to communicate them properly.

Fighting for multiplayer seems to be a war on the eastern frontline '44. That's why I also decided to change my signature about it and stop my passion after 2 years of (constructively) fighting.
  • GoTW KubeeGoTW Kubee Senior Member Posts: 153Registered Users
    edited December 2013
    Well, myself and GoTW are in favour of the features and fixes that you've suggested. However, CA really don't give a stuff about MP atm, so there's not much hope that we're going to see them implemented anytime in the future. The only chance we have is to raise the profile of MP and make the competitive MP community more prominent in the TW community as a whole. This is where youtubers and big televised tourneys such as SCAN actually come in handy. If CA realise the potential behind a solid MP and enough people seem to be interested in it, then you can bet they'll start listening to the community and making an experience which is a cut above the barebones **** we have now.
    Admin on Total War Hub, the new home of the Rome: Total War Multiplayer community.
    edited December 2013
    You will never know how often I tried to get some of those prominent YTubers to propagate serious stuff along the community.
    There is no community anymore, solely desperate clans looking for their own. Sorry to say that. I talked a half hour about it with someone that asked me to reunite the community. I explained him how much I tried that but failed because I am possibly not as smart as William Wallace, Kubee.

I tried PrinceofMacedon, HeirofCarthage, SenseiFR, yes even talked to Zaript and PrussianPrince - both very smart and nice personalities - on Teamspeak, the TWN founder etc... none of them seem to have solid goals to promote a TW community and most of help calling people together and make them rise so our game we love meets the BASIC requirements for having a community, like replays, like chat, like fixing unit size bug, fixing performance issues and non hardware based game lags in 2v2 or bigger setups etc.

Let me close with tl;dr

People do not care to rise and act for a game, they want just play it. Regardless the state and even they are not satisfied.
  • GoTW KubeeGoTW Kubee Senior Member Posts: 153Registered Users
    edited December 2013
    I'd be happy to 'rise and act' for the game if there was actually a chance it would be worthwhile. CA obviously know about many of the problems in MP and either they are or aren't going to fix them (probably the latter). In terms of the global chat lobby, myself and many others have posted the benefits of it time and time again, yet CA have not included one since November 2006 in Med 2. They obviously made a conscious decision somewhere along the line not to include a working chat in MP and they obviously have their own bull**** reasons for doing so. In the run up to R2 we had a kong thread about this, with everyone giving their opinion, but CA didn't even bother to comment. What I'm saying is: it's going to be very hard to persuade CA to change their completely and utterly ******ed ways on this one. Our best chance would be to get a group of representatives from all the big clans and then have them try to contact CA in a period when their members are active on this forum answering questions. Whilst we might not get a result, hopefully at least they'll give us a reason for cutting one of the most essential features of their games. It'll be interesting to see what their answer is, because ithey won't be able to answer with I believe is the truth (that they cut chat in order to make MP for each game die more quickly so people would move on to the next game. Think about it, while a scum move this is very smart business).

Tbh the only reason most people stick with CA is because the game they produce is the only one of its kind.
    Admin on Total War Hub, the new home of the Rome: Total War Multiplayer community.
    edited December 2013
    Well spoken Kubee

Roma locuta, causa finita?

It is shameful that right below this stickied thread Trish made her marketing efforts for a tourney while this thread have not even a CA tags, confirming a reply from the staff.

Really a shameful dispray.
  • MattioMattio Junior Member Posts: 5Registered Users
    edited December 2013
    I support this demand of CA!

BUMP!
    edited December 2013
    Ahh ok, i took a vow, i will post on this thread everyday till the replays are fixed :D
    Words are wind.
  • Robert CARobert CA The Creative Assembly Posts: 236Registered Users, Moderators, Tech Moderators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff
    edited December 2013
    Hello everybody,

Rob here!

I reported a while back that we had two fixes for replays:

• Ranked units in Multiplayer battles and campaigns were not getting accounted for, thus they were counted as a “regular unit” with base stats; hence, why some of you noticed the sequence of events playing out differently in your replays.
    • [Campaign Only] Stats bonuses to units from either weapon/armour upgrades for example and general skills were not getting accounted for, with a similar outcome like above.

Now as of Patch 8 some of you are still reporting problems. I’ve checked the two above and they appear to be fixed, so it looks like we may be dealing with some different edge cases. How widespread they’re I do not know, but it still needs addressing.

I would like to first state, that there could be a multitude of reasons why a replay is not in sync, there is never just one variable that is causing it all! Hence it needs to be approached on a case by case basis.

In order to hopefully pin this down, I will need, preferably, a good deal of information so we can easily compare any similarities and figure out the root of the problem.

If possible, please provide as much of the below information as possible. Also make sure before answering the question below that you’re on a mod free version of Rome 2, as this will skew the testing outcome:

General Questions:

* Current build number (Found in the top left on the frontend)

* What language is your game in?

* What DLC do you own?

Please state the game mode the replay was saved from:

* Single Player Campaign (Grand Campaign)

* Single Player Campaign (Gaul Campaign)

* Multiplayer Campaign (Grand Campaign) [Please State if played Online or LAN]

* Multiplayer Campaign (Gaul Campaign) ) [Please State if played Online or LAN]

* Custom Battle

* Non-Ranked Multiplayer Battle ) [Please State if played Online or LAN]

* Quick Battle

Please state the battle type the replay was saved from:

* Land

* Naval

* City Assault

* Naval Siege

* Unfortified Town

* Unfortified Port

* Encampment

* Ambush

* River Crossing

* Combined (Naval/Land)

Campaign Specific Questions:

If the replay was saved from a campaign please answer the below questions:

* Which campaign? Grand campaign or Gaul campaign?

* What was the faction you chose to play as?

* What was the difficulty level of the campaign?

* Were you attacking/defending or reinforcing?

* What was the faction of enemy/enemies you were fighting against? Please state whether if you or your enemy had reinforcements and if so how many.

* Did any of your units have any upgrades? (E.g. Weapon/Armour upgrades)

* Did you have any ranked units?

* What was the Authority/Cunning/Zeal level of your main general?

* Did your general have any stat modifying skills? If so please list the names and their effect.

* Did you use any general abilities in battle? If so which ones?

Multiplayer campaign specific questions:

* Was the campaign Head to Head or co-op?

* What faction did the other player choose?

* Did you both have the same difficulty level, as mentioned above, set

* Were you fighting against the player in the replay you saved?

* Did any of the player’s play as the AI or did you both use your own factions?

* Did any of the other player’s units have any upgrades? (E.g. Weapon/Armour upgrades)

* Did the other player use any ranked units?

* What was the Authority/Cunning/Zeal level of your friends main general?

* Did your friends general have any stat modifying skills? If so please list the names and their effect.

* Did you friends use any general abilities in battle? If so which ones?

Non-Ranked Custom/Multiplayer Battle Specific Questions:

If the replay was saved from a non-ranked multiplayer/custom battle please answer the below questions:

* How many players were in the battle? How many of these were AI?

* What was the versus ratio? 2 vs 2 or 1 vs 3 for example

* Please list all the factions used in the Multiplayer battle. If any, which were AI controlled

* What was the name of the map which was selected?

* Did either you or any of the other factions use any ranked units?

* Please list all battle settings, for example fund size and weather.

* Did you use any general abilities in battle? If so which ones?

Multiplayer specific questions:

* Did any players drop or quit during the battle?

* Were any spectators in the battle? If so how many?

* Did any of the other players use any general abilities in battle? If so which ones.

Quick Battle Specific Questions:

If the replay was saved from a quick battle please answer the below questions:

* How many players were in the battle?

* Did you matchmake with a team or on your own?

* Please list all the factions used in the Multiplayer battle

* What was the name of the map which was selected?

* Did either you or any of the other players use any ranked units?

* Did you or any of the other players use any general abilities in battle? If so which ones?

* Did any players drop or quit during the battle?

If possible can you please attach the replay in question to your response. Only 1 replay per post please, if you are having multiple replay issues please add additional posts answering the above questions again.

To post your replays, go to "Go Advanced" under the reply box, then scroll down and find the "manage attachments" button.

Thanks!

Rob
    My initial response to a post is generated from a template – this is to ensure I receive the information I require to progress forward with your issue.

Forum Terms & Conditions
    Formal disclaimer: any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.
    edited December 2013
    Halleluja :) Greetings Rob, I appreciate your long post. I am sure the community will be here to help you answering your questions.
  • SupernautSupernaut Junior Member Posts: 12Registered Users
    edited December 2013
    It'll be so awesome if you guys fix replays, thank you.
  • qwidiumqwidium Junior Member Posts: 24Registered Users
    edited December 2013
    Yes, please fix the ******g REPLAY bug.
  • TomisamaRWTomisamaRW Senior Member Posts: 527Registered Users
    edited December 2013
    Tests this evening show play and replay recordings in sync and providing same scores.
    The picture is of both at four minutes in, which is usually enough to show a major difference.
    Here's hoping, but we have seen this before in patch 6, and then it was lost again in patch 7.
    You can easily test for desync using any battle by comparing the final score with the replay final score.
    If they match exactly, your sync is most probably good :) plus or minus 1/60 of a second that is!
    edited December 2013
    More tests with same and other factions:

rome vs rome.jpgrome vs seleucid.jpg
    edited December 2013
    so you're saying they are already fixed? What replays do you use? multiplayer or custom single player battles?
    edited December 2013
    alQamar wrote: »
    so you're saying they are already fixed? What replays do you use? multiplayer or custom single player battles?
    V1.8.0 Build 8891.481024*
    Tested; Custom, Multiplayer vs AI (same and different faction), Multiplayer vs AI in 4v4 (all different faction), Multiplayer vs Multiplayer 1v1. Used both Alienware X51 windows 7 and XPS 710 Vista machines.
    All good!
  • PREDATORXVPREDATORXV Junior Member Posts: 5Registered Users
    edited December 2013
    Sparta wow.replay

Hey Robert, I need help and I saw on a forum that you could help a guy with same problem. My problem is that my replay is completely different from what I had done. In my replay I was fighting my spartan rebels to defend larissa and it was to defend a flag and I had defencive formations and I was out numbered but still won thankfully, but in this replay that was changed, it was to defend some type of temple and the movements and such was completely different. Can you please respond back and help me with this? I know your busy but I really want my replay back

You can also email me at [email protected]
  • RDGridjanikaRDGridjanika Senior Member Posts: 128Registered Users
    edited December 2013
    I just saved a replay from campaign and its not even the same, right at the start, the first enemy army starts somewhere else than it should be.
  • LittleJohn_ver31LittleJohn_ver31 Member Posts: 85Registered Users
    edited December 2013
    patch8_replaybug.zip

This is Non-Ranked Multiplayer Battle.
    3v3, fund was about 12k.
    I don't know this map data. (this is not preset map.)

Although it was tough battle, we won.
    But replay gives close defeat.

I guess most players (including me) use general abilities ( raise banner and rally) on the way of battle.
    (possibly it or rank_up on battle may be detrimental ? )

But I am not sure why replay reproduce incorrect process again since patch7
    though replay reproduced correct process since patch5 for me.
    ( some changes of patch7 may be detrimental ?? )
    Total war Rome2 Team Brotherhood Battle 24
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n4BpNh_SyU
  • zariptzaript Senior Member Posts: 996Registered Users
    edited December 2013
    edited December 2013
    It is strange some people report replays are working and some say the are not, for the same. So from all submissions it seems the bug is persistent for the multiplayer battles, while it seems to be ok for the multiplayer campaign based battles? I am confused.