Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Please fix the REPLAY bug (essential for tournaments, youtube casting)

Comments

• TomisamaRWTomisamaRW Senior Member Posts: 527Registered Users
    edited December 2013
    This is a list of test games I ran and recorded today.
    My objective was to check out the assertion that the use of dogs causes desync.
    Before I ran the Two dog battle below, I had no problem with multiplayer replays.
    But once done, it took the better part of the afternoon to get my game to act right again.
    Most of the following battles and their replays were recorded to make comparisons.
    And all ended with mismatching scores or replay hangs and no score, down to the No dogs back test.
    I did not record that one or those following, as the action of the replays (and their scores) obviously matched the origional battles again.

Two dogs – with 1 dog each side
    One dog – with dog on one side only
    No dogs – with no dogs
    No dogs 2 different factions
    No dogs reboot – restarted the game to test again
    No dogs verify – verified cache and tried again
    No dogs reinstall – deleted local content, reinstalled and tried again
    No dogs register – ran register cleaner, restarted computer, and tried again
    No dogs portforward – forgot I had reset my router so added Rome II ports and tried
    No dogs back – restarted computer and tried again and it looked good, just one more test
    Last test – finally got a replay than matched the action
    Last test dog – added a dog and tried again
    Last test dog 2 – retested again with dog
    Last test dog 3 – and again with dog

With verify again in a few days to see if I can get a more exact cause and effect relationship.
    I will try with a dog on both sides again then ;)

Happy New Year All!
  • SusaVileSusaVile Senior Member Posts: 470Registered Users
    edited December 2013
    Hello there. I would like to post a replay of mine and also the video that I did for the tournament that I was participating.

I knew that the replay could bug, so I recorded the entire battle, in the interest of the tournament, so that it could be used to correctly cast it, at least from my point of view. The cast in in portuguese, but I was most of the time in a zoomed out setting, so it allows a viewer to check the differences when comparing with the replay.

In attachment, I'll send the replay, and here's the link to the battle.

Although it was on patch 7, I've encountered the same situation on patch 8, playing with the same player. Since it's a tournament, I can't upload the recent patch 8 battle video to my channel as of yet, but I'll make sure to make a new post with it. I simply thought that you could use this information to check if it is happening.

Link to the video:

Bugged Replay:
    batalha contra o seu digão!.zip

If you need any other information, I'll keep getting notifications from this post.

Cheers
    SusaVile
    Total war youtuber
    Always learning, be polite, unless he's the enemy:P
    Cheers
    SusaVile
    Total war youtuber
  • HugothesterHugothester Senior Member Posts: 565Registered Users
    edited January 2014
    Tomisama wrote: »
    More tests with same and other factions:

Attachment not found.Attachment not found.
    I don´t know why they work in your PC but for the rest of us it is not working at all xd Today I played a battle with an Heroic victory and I got a Close defeat in the replay, most of my units stoped moving in the middle of the replay...
    Biggest Spanish total war youtube Channel
    https://www.youtube.com/user/hugothester
    edited January 2014
    I don´t know why they work in your PC but for the rest of us it is not working at all xd Today I played a battle with an Heroic victory and I got a Close defeat in the replay, most of my units stoped moving in the middle of the replay...
    Use of dogs by either player (or even the AI I would guess), causes replay desync on all of your games following, until the game has somehow resets its self.

In my example above I posted my steps to try to activate a reset, but am still not sure what it is that does it. I just kept trying things until replays worked again.

It seems that there is a high probability that running a simple 2 unit vs AI battle in custom (with no dogs of course), and letting it finish completely out, then closing the game and rebooting your computer may do the trick. No guarantees of course, but worth a shot.

If you do manage to get scores agreeing again (the true test), don’t play with dogs, or people who bring dogs to multiplayer.

Good Luck!
  • alQamaralQamar Banned Posts: 1,904Banned Users
    edited January 2014
    Hi RobertCA, based on the recent submissions did you come to new conlusions about the problem at CA?
    edited January 2014
    Tomisama wrote: »
    Use of dogs by either player (or even the AI I would guess), causes replay desync on all of your games following, until the game has somehow resets its self.

In my example above I posted my steps to try to activate a reset, but am still not sure what it is that does it. I just kept trying things until replays worked again.

It seems that there is a high probability that running a simple 2 unit vs AI battle in custom (with no dogs of course), and letting it finish completely out, then closing the game and rebooting your computer may do the trick. No guarantees of course, but worth a shot.

If you do manage to get scores agreeing again (the true test), don’t play with dogs, or people who bring dogs to multiplayer.

Good Luck!
    I did not use dogs =S As you say simple battles, such as a 2 vs 2 units against the IA work fine, the problem is when you put 10 stacks armies, for some reason it bugs, they should give this matter some priority since the game is working more or less fine by now.
    edited January 2014
    All un-provable now as even things that did work before are failing with 483605.

I'm done...
  • DeciDeci Senior Member Posts: 235Registered Users
    edited January 2014
    How can this even be an issue anymore?!

I am getting really tired of seeing almost every battle I play ending up differently in the replay. This system cant be that very different from the one in Shogun2 which you guys at CA actually did fix so do it again?
  • TheyMustBePunishedTheyMustBePunished Senior Member Posts: 486Registered Users
    edited January 2014
    ' wrote:
    [g][mojoman;813298']hai.

Tw tournaments are somewhat crippled right now. Why? Because of the effing replay bug.

For those of you who don't know, replays are not visual recordings of battles. They are recordings of the commands that were issued in battles. When a replay file is loaded, the cpu creates an entirely new battle and (in theory) sends exactly the same commands that were issued in the recorded battle.

I say "in theory", because that is not how they currently work. Currently, the cpu is either not sending the same commands, or is not sending them at the right time. Whichever it is (perhaps it's both), the result is that replays end up showing you a completely different battle to the one you saved.

As some of you might know, tournaments rely heavily on youtubers for publicity. We send them replays of our tournament matches, and they add interesting commentary. with the current state of replays, we cannot do that. the only alternative is to use livestreamers, which is harder to organise, and results in lower-quality videos.

So ca, if you want to see more tw battles on youtube, please give us the basic tools we need - working replays.

Thanks.
    +1 period
    Expect Everything and the Unexpected won't happen

Team Suebi!!!!
  • justaTWfanjustaTWfan Member Posts: 76Registered Users
    edited January 2014
    Accurate replays are important for "ordinary" players too. I at least, look for the replays to reassess my tactics and enjoy the battles doing many close ups with the camera. This is something i can't really do during the battle as im concentrated on controlling my units. For me the replays is half the fun. I have seen that the subject has been raised in the single player forum as well many times, although it may not be top priority for them.
    I really think that replays is an important, integral feature of the game. It's not a gimmick, a plus, or a bonus. I also don't understand how the replay bug is reappearing in rome 2, while it was fixed in shogun 2 and working perfectly in Ntw and M2tw(that i know of).Are the games so different in that respect?
    edited January 2014
    Replays are still broken after patch 9, I just tested them :(
  • PatchyPatchy Member Arkansas, USAPosts: 66Registered Users
    edited January 2014
    They are working perfectly for me actually. The important thing to note is that games played in patches previous still won't replay right. Patch 9 gameplay does seem to replay correct for me.
    YouTube user : HeirofCarthage
    https://www.youtube.com/user/HeirofCarthage

"Destroying Rome...that's Patchy's turf."
    - Patchy's Somewhat Italian Sounding Cousin
  • IndyprideIndypride Senior Member Posts: 1,642Registered Users
    edited January 2014
    Replays are still broken after patch 9, I just tested them :(
    Hugo were the replays that didn't work properly from Patch 9 beta, or from previous patches? That's an important thing to know. Any replay from before Patch 9 beta probably wont work properly, what matters are replays saved after you downloaded the beta.
    edited January 2014
    Indypride wrote: »
    Hugo were the replays that didn't work properly from Patch 9 beta, or from previous patches? That's an important thing to know. Any replay from before Patch 9 beta probably wont work properly, what matters are replays saved after you downloaded the beta.
    Hi Indy, they were of course from patch 9 beta, the replays human vs IA work fine, but as long as you fight online they desync completly
  • jonasneejonasnee Senior Member Posts: 1,737Registered Users
    edited January 2014
    my replays are still bugged, phantom units etc.
    put your actions where your mouth is.
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=TJpmII-kxuM
    Total war is best when it is kept simple and not overly complex
  • Matthias CAMatthias CA Administrator UKPosts: 2,596Registered Users
    edited January 2014
    Hi guys,

Sorry I haven't responded on your thread yet. I have however been communicating with some of you via Private Messages.

I wanted to let you know that we have read this thread and others similar threads and are aware of this issue since you posted threads on these replay Desync issues.

We have worked hard to understand, reproduce and find a fix to these replay desync issues. We have fixed in Patch 9 Beta the War Dog issue but are still working on the other issues causing these replay desyncs.

We hope we will soon be able to bring you some good news in our patch notes.

But at the moment I cannot make any promises as they might end up empty.

I can, however, assure you that we are working hard on these issues and have made some progress.

Thank you all for your patience while we are working on these issues.

Sincerely,

Matthias
    PLEASE READ THIS THREAD BEFORE POSTING YOUR ISSUE ON THE SUPPORT FORUMS.

Need to contact us?

Forum Terms & Conditions

Formal disclaimer: any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.
  • IndyprideIndypride Senior Member Posts: 1,642Registered Users
    edited January 2014
    edited February 2014
    Thanks a lot Matthias
  • moniskaamoniskaa Junior Member Posts: 1Registered Users
    edited March 2014
    Video clips into a youtube video!? i need STEP BY STEP intructions on wat 2 do to get video clips on windows movie maker. i have no idea were to put the link or watevs but i need step by step instructions! thx 2 whoever helps me.
    edited April 2014
    I see no improvement after last patch. Still my replays get randomly corrupted. For instance I was able to win with Suebi by mass routing enemy army, but replay shows that my army stands idle for half of the battle and that I lost it in the end.

Please finally fix it, so that we can have fun watching and analysing our battles.
  • HowFarWouldYouGoHowFarWouldYouGo Senior Member Posts: 862Registered Users
    edited April 2014
    I see no improvement after last patch. Still my replays get randomly corrupted. For instance I was able to win with Suebi by mass routing enemy army, but replay shows that my army stands idle for half of the battle and that I lost it in the end.

Please finally fix it, so that we can have fun watching and analysing our battles.

This may never happen, they introduced twich.tv maybe that can be used. Im no expert and never tried it but can you record also what you broadcast?
  • JacquestheApostateJacquestheApostate Senior Member Posts: 621Registered Users
    edited April 2014

Exactly why I have only play 37 hrs. Shogun II over 2000 hrs. Nobody is more disappointed then me.
    3 Kingdoms is a great game campaign wise. Make ranked battles in Records mode. Until that is done it won't be complete.
    Gun Cav in Shogun II should have a Retainer!
    Give us another Avatar Campaign!
  • TheGeorgianOneTheGeorgianOne Senior Member Posts: 145Registered Users
    edited April 2014
    They found a fix for S2 that suffered from exactly the same bug. It's the same engine. Why it's so difficult to do it for Rome?
  • justaTWfanjustaTWfan Member Posts: 76Registered Users
    edited April 2014
    This may never happen, they introduced twich.tv maybe that can be used. Im no expert and never tried it but can you record also what you broadcast?
    Twitch is not the same thing at all. It's for live broadcasting. In replays you can take your time and view battles in various different angles, appreciate the graphics and analyse the tactics involved. You can't do any of the above when you are focused on managing your army amidst the heat of battle. It is not only for youtubers. I have not uploaded any video on youtube and i enjoy replays all the time(in the other games where replays work). CA has stated repeatedly that they acknowledge the issue and are trying to fix it. I don't know why it's taking so long but still, i expect a solution. It's been a long time since they communicated upon this issue though. I think it would be appropriate to let us know what is the current status of the issue. We can be patient, but it would be a great shame if this integral feature of battle gameplay remained broken.
  • Trish CATrish CA Guest Posts: 635Unregistered / Not Logged In
    edited April 2014
    Hiya,
    It appears as though we have put some extensive work into this issue since the 11.5 hotfix patch that went out today.

Can anyone please let me know if this is still an issue for anyone at all (post patch 11.5)?
  • Corwin1Corwin1 Senior Member Posts: 188Registered Users
    edited April 2014
    I just tried watching two replays after playing the matches. At halfway point, both were already wide off the mark.
    edited April 2014
    Trish CA wrote: »
    Hiya,
    It appears as though we have put some extensive work into this issue since the 11.5 hotfix patch that went out today.

Can anyone please let me know if this is still an issue for anyone at all (post patch 11.5)?
    Hi, Trish some friends and I have tested 5 battles after this hotfix, we think we have found one of the problems (by the way, replays are still completly broken):

Replays in battles without lag usually go fine, however, if the replay is from a battle in which we experienced a lot of lag, it bugs since the first melee.

AND we have also seen units with moral differences, since while in the original battle the unit routed, in the replay the units remains in the middle of the battle not doing anything.

EDIT: Lag is not the problem, we just had 2 matches with 0 lag and replays are currupted too.

We are looking forward for a fix, since tournaments can´t have place without replays + youtubers such as I are having a very hard time.

Thanks a lot for your time.

EDIT:
    This cav should have routed and is standing in the middle of nowhere
    5E3B935B207955D7E71C5714FD472B50489B92C8
  • TheGeorgianOneTheGeorgianOne Senior Member Posts: 145Registered Users
    edited April 2014
    I haven't checked replays post 11.5 patch, but before then for the one's corrupted there was usually something wrong with the morale changes. I.e. I had a battle where I chain-routed a whole Rome army with Suebi, but the replay shows that my army is standing still. Often where there is elephants or camels causing rout it is also not reflected correctly in the replay (fear aura/scare effect messing up?).
    edited April 2014
    I haven't checked replays post 11.5 patch, but before then for the one's corrupted there was usually something wrong with the morale changes. I.e. I had a battle where I chain-routed a whole Rome army with Suebi, but the replay shows that my army is standing still. Often where there is elephants or camels causing rout it is also not reflected correctly in the replay (fear aura/scare effect messing up?).
    True, I have also realized that.

I´d like to add something I have noticed too, sometimes when I charge with my horses through an ennemy line in order to attack the proyectile units behind it, in the real match the cav passes through, but in the replay the cav dies in terrible pain while trying to go through.
  • TWfan60TWfan60 Senior Member Posts: 104Registered Users
    edited April 2014
    Did I understand the patch 12 beta log correctly the replays, at least saved by patch 12 beta are now working correctly?