Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Cannot choose high or ultra, yet could in the demo

2»

Comments

• AlJabberwockAlJabberwock Moderator Posts: 7,179Moderators, Tech Moderators
    edited March 2011
    Hey, that's great work guys!

Deep, try those... I would see if you can work with the 10.xx series that Ianos got to work...
    Pie Lord, you may be able to move yours up slightly, although if its working well enough for you, Hell, I wouldn't change it until the cavalry arrives with the April DX11 patches... ;) Deepjay , let us know?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Every so often things happen that can’t be rationalized in a conventional way. People wanna know their government has a response. I am that response.”
    ― Kent Mansley (in "Iron Giant")

For most general problems, for which you have no idea of the culprit, your first port of call should be:
    https://help.sega.com/home

If you are aware of a bug or a specific issue for which you know the cause, post in the support section for the specific title on our forums. Feel free to PM me or Matthias CA if you haven't received a response within 24 hours, 48 hours on the weekend. ~Al
    Forum Rules
  • DeepjayDeepjay Senior Member Posts: 318Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    I;ll try as soon as i get home then will let you know. If it works, Im gonna find Iano irl and kiss him ffs! (not in a *** way, just like..well happy man to man :P)
  • RiisosRiisos Member Posts: 96Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    Confirmed! Radeon HD 4800 + Windows 7 here, had to update driver via windows auto-update. Brought my game back to life. Lesson: Updating from ATI directly, to 11.2, 11.4, etc. WILL NOT WORK. You rule man. Thank you so so so much.
  • MaizelMaizel Senior Member Posts: 183Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    What options are we talking about?

I can select ultra on most, but some only go up to high?
    edited March 2011
    Thats actually correct, some only go up to High, but if you can't select any, you will be able to see them, they just will be greyed out. OP could only use Medium settings. So far this seems to be predominantly an AMD issue, where NVidia guys that have it probably are dealing with insufficient firepower (older lower end cards). Not all AMD users report this, so you may be fine. Not certain what the issue is here, so I will be looing back to see if there's anything in common (really doesn't looklike it from my end!)

Al
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Every so often things happen that can’t be rationalized in a conventional way. People wanna know their government has a response. I am that response.”

For most general problems, for which you have no idea of the culprit, your first port of call should be:

If you are aware of a bug or a specific issue for which you know the cause, post in the support section for the specific title on our forums. Feel free to PM me or Matthias CA if you haven't received a response within 24 hours, 48 hours on the weekend. ~Al
    Forum Rules
  • KatsuKatsu Junior Member Posts: 10Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    The 10.12 does not support the 6900 series. I have a 6970 and still can not get this to work. Has anyone with a 6900 resolved this issue?
    edited March 2011
    I hope this may shed some light. In previous ganes you needed more than 512 RAM on your graphic card to get high/utra settings (see link). Perhaps the game cannot see how much RAM we have. Any ideas?

http://shoguntotalwar.yuku.com/topic/47068
    edited March 2011
    There are a hot fixed version of the 10.12's which support 6900's -
    http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalyst1012ahotfix.aspx

I've just installed them and no joy, it's the same deal :(
    edited March 2011
    Katsu wrote: »
    I hope this may shed some light. In previous ganes you needed more than 512 RAM on your graphic card to get high/utra settings (see link). Perhaps the game cannot see how much RAM we have. Any ideas?

http://shoguntotalwar.yuku.com/topic/47068

And re: that link - the ram thing is false. Explain how I can go full ultra in the demo then, but not release? Same card? In fact my card has 2 gig of ram - Gigabyte 6950 etc.
    edited March 2011
    Thanks for the link Deepjay. But I also think the RAM thing might be a good option. I tried the following from an old empire post and this got me to be able to use high settings. A different number will give me ultra probably? Any ideas please for that number please.

EDIT:Actually it didnt work I could change the settings to high but then it reverted to low in game. Low is very ugly. Apologies.

But here is the link:

http://shoguntotalwar.yuku.com/topic/48443/t/Why-is-my-Very-High-option-greyed-out-and-unselectable-.html
    edited March 2011
    Thanks for the link Deepjay. But I also think the RAM thing might be a good option. I tried the following from an old empire post and this got me to be able to use high settings. A different number will give me ultra probably? Any ideas please for that number please.

EDIT:Actually it didnt work I could change the settings to high but then it reverted to low in game. Low is very ugly. Apologies.

But here is the link:

http://shoguntotalwar.yuku.com/topic/48443/t/Why-is-my-Very-High-option-greyed-out-and-unselectable-.html

Man I think we've got it!

I changed my setting to 536870912 (aka 512 ram) and it's now all on high.

I havent actually gone into the options screen, just straight into the historical mission from the demo as i remember the graphic quality. Ingame options are on high.

So basically i set this:
    gfx_video_memory 536870912; # gfx_video_memory <int>, Override available video memory (bytes) #

Note the number.

I also copy and pasted card group 2s list from here:

http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/9633-Solution-graphics-auto-detection-preferences-reset
    edited March 2011
    Oh i can set high, not Ultra.

I wonder what the ram value for 1gig or 2gig ram is?:
    edited March 2011
    Also downgrading the driver seems to work to get the settings up and running but brings in the battle and campaign map stutter others were complaining about. Let's hope they patch in some support for up-to-date drivers so we can run things smoothly. Thanks again for the temporary fix.
  • EllipticElliptic Junior Member Posts: 8Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    Going to try this when I get home.

Am I the only one that is able to select High-Ultra without it actually changing anything? Did this work for you guys as well?

It seems like most people are prevented from selecting them entirely due to them being grayed out, but that's not the case with me. It just doesn't register that I've altered the settings, like the video options page is irrelevant.

Hoping this works, I'll know in a few hours. Will post results.
    edited March 2011
    So it seems likely that at least two changes to the scripts file are required. First the amount of ram (maybe 1073741824 - double the 512 number). Second at least one other entry from the scripts Deepjay cut and pasted.

I am now playing using the older driver but it would be nice to fix this and use 11.4
    edited March 2011
    Could anyone tell me whether the patch which fixes this stuff has come out yet?
    edited March 2011
    So it seems likely that at least two changes to the scripts file are required. First the amount of ram (maybe 1073741824 - double the 512 number). Second at least one other entry from the scripts Deepjay cut and pasted.

I am now playing using the older driver but it would be nice to fix this and use 11.4

Nah it's just the one change, adding that value in as the memory. I added both the 512 and 1024 equivilants and neither let me unlock the ultra options. Maybe i'll try 2gig next as that's what my card is.

For the record, nothing changed at all for me with drivers. I uninstalled reinstalled multiple varieties, including the 10.12's and their hotfix for 6900 cards. That fix seems to work for 4800 cards, but NOT 6900s.

By changing the memory value though, that seems to get past the auto-detection.

I could select high detail across the board, just unfortunately not ultra (which i still want incidentally as i have the machine to run it).

It was definitely high detail in game too, that much is a certainty. I am pretty particular when it comes to graphic detail and i highly scrutinized the demos graphics. The difference from the release game on medium to the demo on ultra was chalk and cheese. The game on medium looks terrible imo, whereas high is very nice. I still want Ultra, but yeah.

The main issue seems to be the game actually detecting the hardware - it seems to just be completely failing with some cards. I do hope they patch fix this, as the demo worked on Ultra flawlessly, with no tweaking or adjusting required.
  • EllipticElliptic Junior Member Posts: 8Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    Alright, got home and have tried the fixes presented by this awesome community. Deejay's script>preference change, adding the number to the video memory line, worked like a charm. It only allows me to select up to High, not Ultra, but I guess I'll have to make due until we get an official fix.

This fix worked WITH the new 11.2 drivers, no need to downgrade them, at least not for me using an ATI Radeon HD 4850. The sticky at the top of the forum should reflect this. Downgrading worked as well but I know I and many others would prefer keeping them up-to-date.

So I repeat: Deejay is the ****** man. Follow his advice at the top of this page and you will be able to play up to High if you are having this same problem.

Thanks again Deejay.
    edited March 2011
    That's really great troubleshooting folks. AGain, its not perfect, but every little step helps until we get a more permanent fix when the cavalry arrives in April. Thanks to all. I will update the sticky related to this thread...
    Al

Forum Rules
    edited March 2011
    Wasn't the p[atch to fix this supposed to be out by now?
    edited March 2011
    Hey I cant take credit bro, Katsu found the link with the memory adjustment part (aka the fix for 6900s). I just tested it :)

Either way, im just glad I can play in High as there's a massive difference in quality between medium and high.
  • IanoIano Junior Member Posts: 6Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    Very nice find, I can confirm that 11.4 now works /w the memory size change in preferences.script.
    edited March 2011
    Thanks for that Iano!

Forum Rules
    edited March 2011
    If anyone manages to get Ultra settings working on a 6900 please post here what you did. I might try putting in 2 gig worth of memory into the config script tonight when i get home to see what it does. I hope that may unlock it, as obviously 512 was enough to unlock the high settings.
  • IanoIano Junior Member Posts: 6Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    On a 4870 /w 11.4, 536870912 unlocked High, and 1073741824 unlocked Ultra.
    edited March 2011
    I can set every option to it's max level with my 6970 without doing anything out of the ordinary.

Not everything goes to ultra, but if the notes on the option ranges in the preference script are correct, some option don;t have 4 levels (i,e, don;t go to ultra).
    edited March 2011
    6970 with the 10.12 hotfix drivers worked for me. Deepjay maybe delete youu preferences script before installing the driver (just a thought). And i did use driversweep straight after unistalling the existing drivers and before the reboot. Good luck.
    edited March 2011
    6970 with the 10.12 hotfix drivers worked for me. Deepjay maybe delete youu preferences script before installing the driver (just a thought). And i did use driversweep straight after unistalling the existing drivers and before the reboot. Good luck.

Awesome! Confirmed.

Ive moved back to the 11.4 preview drivers (what I had originally installed) and upped the memory to 1 gig - ie 1073741824 and i can now set those settings that have ultra available, to ultra.

Not ALL settings have an ultra option - in case anyone wondered. - ie that's the game, not an issue.

So yeah, happy days!
    edited March 2011
    A little further testing, 11.4 will work via editing the preference line for video memory, however I found that it was still extremely choppy. The models look better but they skip across the battlefield and the camera window seems to be bordered by some sort of shadow box that appears when looking in certain directions. Again brilliant fixes but I hope that the AA/dx11 patch will fix this, shouldn't have to pick the lesser of two evils. I also doubt they'll get around to it before then as they still have to fix the ranking system and MP bugs. Three days of work trying to make the game run and now I'm at a wall, at least I can play with a full unit count, thanks guys. Ball is in your court for fixing the game to work with current drivers CA.

Also it seems something changed recently and the work-around for changing the video ram no longer functions after a few days and I had to go back to the 10.12. Not sure why, the preferences saved but it no longer recognized them.
  • ruffshotzruffshotz Junior Member Posts: 4Registered Users
    edited December 2011
    hey i have the same problem but not that bad i can only use up to high but ultra is just grayed out and disabled and i have no idea why because i have a good computer and even so it would at least give me the option to use ultra but its completely unavailable plus i have dx11 so no knows why even after my research. plzzzzz help i really want ultra!
2»