Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

The Clans, a Complete Walkthrough

Face-sploderFace-sploder Senior MemberPosts: 536Registered Users
edited March 2011 in Total War: SHOGUN 2
V2!

First of all I request that any mod reading this stickies it as I do not see any stickied guide like this. This is may take you a while to read so I recommend reading only the parts you are interested in unless you have some time :p The first part deals with their overview and strategies while part two explains how to counter their advantages and best troops.

Clans.jpg
Credit for the image goes to Shireknight

Part 1

This is what I thought of the factions and my strategies for playing as them

Mori: As expected, nice but not spectacular for me. Start location is great and allows you to access almost any coastline from the very start but watch your back, you are in the middle of Japan so land attacks will be plentiful and you only have one river which you can use to send out your ships, ALWAYS make sure it is protected.

Chosokabe: With so many water-available factions the island thing turned out to be a letdown (also Mori starts out right beside you so in that case it seems more like a disadvantage, war with Mori= Island becomes your jail.) That said if you manage to have a good naval force you can heavily damage an attacking force (as even the largest army can be seriously damaged by a small amount of ships attacking a navy that is carry troops over.) So really the island is a disadvantage or advantage depending on your playing style and if you would mind paying upkeep for a patrolling navy. The archer bonus is pretty nice though and your island is filled with farms with can definitely boost your economy. Your island need a very strong naval defense in order to keep it completely troop free. this naval defense will have to be so strong that really the upkeep isn't worth it. Boats also travel quite fast in this game so in one turn an enemy could come from off the screen and deploy 3 full stacks of soldiers, 5 agents and 3 generals and you will not be able to do anything about it. making a land defense will be a much better choice as the enemy will have to use land troops in order to do things on your island (that includes ocean sieging, they still have to use land troops in order to attack your castle. Archers are very good however never build an army that relies completely on its archers as countering it will be very easy. Conversion to Christianity is highly un-endorsed when playing as chosokabe as you risk religious revolt to get guns earlier in the game, even when you have a bonus to arrows. If you really want to convert to guns use Date. It is important to remember that archers can run out of arrows so it is important to use them against the targets they will do the most damage to. Later in the military tree there is a research that will give all bow units double ammunition (I don't remember the name but it also lets you build encampments)

Oda: Definitely not my type of army but I think this will be a large crowd pleaser. Allows for large armies by increasing the courage of ashigaru (which fixes the one thing that makes them a letdown and makes them more than make up their cost. Probably the most forgiving faction and one of the best at the same time. Probably categorize as most forgiving and GENERALLY 2nd best (I put generally because these factions excel in different situation, generally refers to most battles) The reasons I put 2nd is because in situations like and against armies like the uesagi who have broader roles they may face some difficulty. If you are new to the series I would recommend playing with this faction first. That said a good veteran can also make wonderful use of this army as superior numbers allows for more flanking and tactical opportunities. A large weakness of this army would most likely be cavalry (cavalry that is exceptional at charging such as yari cavalry would be best) and siege engines (as they can make huge casualties on a massed army and/or force your opponent to send his untrained forces to fight one on one with your better units as their army formation is in shambles.) As far as the campaign map goes Oda will have to compete with 4 other nearby major factions (and the Shimazu and Chosokabe aren't that far off either once they get a navy and/or have an army on the mainland of japan. A large advantage of the Oda though is that they can build powerful ashigaru armies right from the start and capture territories to boost your economy. Within the first 20 turns you should have at least 1 other province if you are playing as the Oda. Make sure to try to aim for that (and it does hurt to be an overachiever and take your first province earlier either!)

Date: Pleasantly surprised, the charge bonus for all units and the no-dachi samurai makes for a good aggressive army that I can definitely see being played by people who like to rush early in the game (quite unlike me.) No-dachi samurai are also great on the charge AND in a prolonged combat because of their katana's. If charged into a unit combined with Date's charge bonus they can decimate a large part of it while also being able to stay in combat and finish the job if needed (like if you are facing warrior monks that do not break easily.) This is also the best faction for converting as getting guns early in the game will be very helpful because guns destroy morale and a gun line of 120 soldiers that fires and then does a Date charge can morally destroy and rout many units that cost much more than them. For this reason fire bomb throwers will also be very handy to bomb the enemy before charging. On the campaign map they also have easy access to trade with china and their large starting province can make an army walk more than usual in order to reach your capital. Just watch out for the nearby Ueugi who may not be happy to see another playable faction hanging around on "their" territory.

Hojo: I'm sorry if people don't like me for saying this but strongly disappointed, their siege units don't seem much better than for example hattori (will talk about next) and once you get inside range of your units (as their range is superior) Hojo seems quite weak. The only thing that actually makes this clan ok is the bonuses to building and repairing castles which is quite deadly combined with their long range units, but they are very expensive (even with Hojo discount) and making a while army out of them or even half an army is not a very effective garrison once they get close enough to your castle. They do start out with 2 provinces however which does give them a nice advantage in their economy early on but don't wait around, by the first 5-10 turns many clans will already have their second province. If you make good use of this advantage though you may be able to get somewhere. Hojo will most likely excel against large armies of units that do not have high morale (such as ashigaru) because ranged fire from on top of a castle wall or from a siege weapon can tear large holes in morale like no other. Make sure to follow up though as seige units can run out of ammo very fast and your castle wall may eventually be penetrated by that one unit of ninja's you didn't think you needed to run down and you let them become hidden again. before that happens you have to make sure to run down the enemy army and give them little chance to regroup and reform. You may find cavalry very useful for this role and they are usually a good pair with siege equipment (unless you are using the siege equipment to siege of course, then it is probably a very bad idea.

everything above this has been updated to V2, will update more later

Hattori: Wow, just wow. Really happy I received the limited edition because these guys seem amazing. They carry a large roster of specialized units that receive very nice bonuses as well as starting far away from any other playable clan so they have a great start to their economy as well as researching. When these guys bring out their advanced units they are quite unstoppable but be WARNED. The special units are expensive and you will have to focus the early parts of the game in building up your economy if you want to be able to make full use of your abilities later in the game. Their units are also just a tad more expensive than normal. Definitely a late game faction and is vulnerable to rushing and farming. Can be one of the strongest if used correctly but also quite unforgiving should you make a mistake you will find yourself in a financial hole and you will be forced to disband your army. I would have to say for advanced players only.

Takeda: Great cavalry is not only stronger, but more importantly TOUGHER. A clan bonus should allow you to base an army on it if you wish and making cavalry troops tougher allows you to place more cavalry in your roster as cavalry troops are a small part of the force in most armies simply because they need the unit they are attacking to be distracted and not notice them. though that is still recommended this cavalry can hold their own much better and cheaper costs will allow you to make large formations that are sure to devastate. Not my favorite (that would be hattori) but probably my 2nd or 3rd, very nice

Usuegi: Warrior monks are better than most other basic troops and can provide a a very broad role. Usuegi allow for a force that can change strategies on the fly but when it comes to playing more specialized units such as no-dachi samurai, ninjas and the likes your troops will always have the advantage if you do not let them use their specializations. If they do get in the situation where they wan tot be you will most likely see yourself suffering more from it then other armies. Battling in areas like wide, flat plains is your game and you will have the advantage here in many cases. Be wary when playing hattori or date and make sure they cannot use their superior units the way they want to. (example is charging your archers into their units when they get really close, sounds very stupid but may give you a chance at surviving if you surprise Date with a move like this.) They also reap a nice trade bonus which will be useful as monks require heavy armored units to support them (and heavy armor means big money)

Shimazu: Start on an island which is a good advantage (however the island is pretty large making it less useful than for example to chokosobe island because it will be hard to defend, yet it has almost the same amount of provinces and unlike choksobe who specialize in farms AND have them all over their island you don't) Your main advantage lies in your katana units which means that you troops will be adept melee fighters. You first priority on the campaign should be to conquer a province with horses and build the katana chain as well as the horse chain on it. You will now be able to recruit katana horses which will be able to quickly engage enemy ranged units which would normally devastate your katana units. Though you can use spears for this I would advise not to as spears cannot stay fighting in one spot too long while you are relying on your cavalry to hold down your opponent in order for your main katana units to reach. Sieges will be tough but still doable. A cheap trick you can use is to have 2 or more ninjas go to a gate and use stealth (you can capture while stealthed, even though this may later be patched out.) When you are capturing and your first group of ninja's stealth is almost out bring in your second group to take over. Though you will most likely lose your ninja units do to defender missile fire stealth works no matter how close they are to you. Once the gates are open quickly rush in your cavalry before they take the gates again (you will need your cavalry to be on the scene while your ninjas are capturing for this to work) and hold up the units there making sure that they do not capture the gate again. now simply march in your katana troops and the rest should fit into place.

Tokugawa: Tokugawa have very strong ninja's. As a Tokugawa player you will want to get into siege battles where you are the attacker as stealthed units can capture gates and towers. Diplomacy is key to getting near your enemies most important castles and you should focus on destroying an empire in either a few turns (going through everything kind of like a blitzkrieg) or capture a large portion of territory and then make peace again for larger players. After making peace and attacking again another peace will not be likely to work so on the second attack make SURE you can take them down before they have a chance to counter-attack. It should also be noted that sometimes after declaring war a person may not want to have another peace. If you know that you will not be able to take them down in one move plan for a peace because in order for them to agree you must declare peace when you are strong (even when you know you can't take them if you took like 3 provinces in the last 5 turns they will still most likely accept a peace out of sheer fear that you have more soldier than you do.)

All in all I am very happy with MOST of the clans (looking at you Hojo, In other threads before the demo I stated you would be the one I played *starts crying*.) Looking at the numbers my favorite is Hattori because their ninja's do receive a nice bonus to slow down armies and their specialized units can pound down almost anything. I know I am making them sound godly but once again the weakest point of the hattori is their economy which can be easily undermined. I suggest using your campaign ninjas for counter intelligence instead of attacking because you are much more vulnerable to ninja's then your opponent (if you have some extra ninjas then go right ahead.) May e a hard faction to learn with but they are definitely the first ones I am playing.

Unfortunatly because of the character limit and me not being smart enough to reserve a post (woops :D) I have moved part to into its own separate thread:

http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/11166-The-Clans-a-Complete-Walkthrough-Part-2

Thank you for your understanding and I am sorry for any inconvenience
Post edited by Face-sploder on

Comments

• XernoxisXernoxis Senior Member Posts: 266Registered Users
    edited February 2011
    Wow I have not read all this yet, but posting, because i appriciate you taking time to make a "walkthrough".
    Thanks! Now if you excuse me I have some reading to do
    One wish: A time machine. So I could travel to 15/3/2011!
  • SpycrabSpycrab Senior Member Posts: 1,373Registered Users
    edited February 2011
    Wow a guide before the game is even released, didn´t see this coming.

Hint try to break up the wall of text in smaller sentences, this honestly just scares reader to tl:dr.
    At the end of the day, if someone cares enough to come and post on the forums, it doesn't matter if the post is good or bad, it means that Total War is something really important to them, so I don't take it personaly.

-Will CA

Criticizing is not wrong, initating a witch hunt however is.
  • LinnaraLinnara Senior Member Posts: 223Registered Users
    edited February 2011
    I beg to differ concerning the situation of Chosokabe.

It is true that there can and most likely will be - at some point in time - a major naval invasion, but who can send off so many troops without leaving his own lands undefended? As there are numerous other clans, so I think the AI will never leave its back wide open for his enemies just to try to invade the island of Shikoku.

And if it is your direct neighbor trying to invade Shikoku then it won't at least be a big surprise.

I would give the Chosokabe clan more credit and consider the island not a prison but a good position to defend. But as everything that depends heavily on who your enemy is, what allies both faction have and so on. :)

But all in all I would like to thank you for the work you have made yourself with this guide.
  • Face-sploderFace-sploder Senior Member Posts: 536Registered Users
    edited February 2011
    Linnara wrote: »
    I beg to differ concerning the situation of Chosokabe.

It is true that there can and most likely will be - at some point in time - a major naval invasion, but who can send off so many troops without leaving his own lands undefended? As there are numerous other clans, so I think the AI will never leave its back wide open for his enemies just to try to invade the island of Shikoku.

And if it is your direct neighbor trying to invade Shikoku then it won't at least be a big surprise.

I would give the Chosokabe clan more credit and consider the island not a prison but a good position to defend. But as everything that depends heavily on who your enemy is, what allies both faction have and so on. :)

But all in all I would like to thank you for the work you have made yourself with this guide.

The island though may also be a disadvantage as if you do not control the two ports you have no way of fighting back, and also they can simply make landfall near Tosa (choksobe capital), then you only have one turn in order to organize a defense for yourself, and they can come there from the middle of nowhere (they don't even have to meet you any earlier than that turn.)

I respect your opinion though and though I do agree in some way it is an advantage in other ways it is also a strong disadvantage.
    edited February 2011
    Well, basically there are two ways an invader can pull off an invasion: a) they can put their big army on their boats and sail off (or row off in this case :) ), hoping the Chosokabe have no or at least not enough defence where the invader is trying to land. This is a strong gamble, worst case scenario is the total loss of their fleet and army. I don't need to tell you what that means for them if someone else is looking to expand.

This may pay off once or two times, but such an approach is risky and I doubt anyone right in their mind would handle it like that every possible time (without "trial&error-save&load" of course). This is bound to backfire some time, be that sooner or later, be it against the Chosokabe or against someone else.

Or b) they are cautious and send at least some kind of spy or scout before the actual attack and this is all the warning the Chosokabe would need in order to get more than one turn of preparations. At least it should make the Chosokabe think of considering the possiblity of an invasion.

Of course, you are right - Shikoku is kind of a jail, but - in the present situation of being surrounded by other clans - if I had to choose between having a natural barrier like the ocean or not having that sort of natural barrier, I would always take being on my Isle.

Think of it this way: If you have neighbors in every direction but one (where the ocean is), aren't you just as vulnerable, if not more? One backstabber is all you need to lose a weakly defended province without any preparation at all.

So, although I understand the way you are thinking in this case very well, I have still to disagree on how much of a disadvantage being on Shikoku really is.
  • OisinLokeOisinLoke Member Posts: 93Registered Users
    edited February 2011
    I really don't think this can be that reliable, as the game isn't even out, even if we do have the encyclopedia...
  • Lucius BrutusLucius Brutus Senior Member Posts: 889Registered Users
    edited February 2011
    OisinLoke wrote: »
    I really don't think this can be that reliable, as the game isn't even out, even if we do have the encyclopedia...
    Eh, it at least lets me get an idea of what I am getting myself into pre-game. Isn't it true that you can only choose your first 2-3 clans before you have to unlock the rest?
    edited February 2011
    updated: forgot mori in part 2 :p

As far as I see it, you also forgot the Chosokabe in part 2. ^^
    edited February 2011
  • Lucius BrutusLucius Brutus Senior Member Posts: 889Registered Users
    edited February 2011
    Woops :o

It'll be in in about 5 minutes
    Okay, so I am not going crazy. :-P
  • KurkistanKurkistan Senior Member Posts: 293Registered Users
    edited February 2011
    Gosh darn it face-sploder! Now I have to set up a GttG half a month before the game comes out!

*Stalks off, grumbling, to start formatting*
  • SanjuroSanjuro Senior Member U.K.Posts: 1,605Registered Users
    edited February 2011
    I have to completely disagree with your characterisation of the Hojo. Their strength isn't just siege units, it's also that they start off with two provinces. It's not sexy, but it means that they will be able to expand more quickly than other clans, having extra income (Izu has gold mines).

As Linnara says, it is unlikely that Shikoku will be the target of constant invasions. The Chosokabe will have a fairly secure base to expand from once they defeat the other clans there. It's easier to defend against a naval invasion than it is a land attack. Also there are only so many beaches to land on, you can't land on any point on the coast.

Regarding the Mori, what do you mean that they have only "one river"? You can build and repair ships in any port you can control. Their naval strength is a huge asset, as they will be able to more easily control the trade nodes around Kyushu with a superior navy.
    edited February 2011
    Sanjuro wrote: »
    I have to completely disagree with your characterisation of the Hojo. Their strength isn't just siege units, it's also that they start off with two provinces. It's not sexy, but it means that they will be able to expand more quickly than other clans, having extra income (Izu has gold mines).

As Linnara says, it is unlikely that Shikoku will be the target of constant invasions. The Chosokabe will have a fairly secure base to expand from once they defeat the other clans there. It's easier to defend against a naval invasion than it is a land attack. Also there are only so many beaches to land on, you can't land on any point on the coast.

Regarding the Mori, what do you mean that they have only "one river"? You can build and repair ships in any port you can control. Their naval strength is a huge asset, as they will be able to more easily control the trade nodes around Kyushu with a superior navy.

with the mori the trick is the fact that you said any port they CONTROL. I am referring to when you start the game or maybe I should reffer to all of the factions having an island? :p

next question, the chosokabe cannot defend their enemies from making landfall because ship movement range is gigantic so even if you have a superior navy all that I need to do is go far south and then go west until I reach chin, then just follow china and I'll get to you from an angle you would never expect, you may drown my ships the following turn but my troops will already be on shore. as for the landing thing I can actually land on most parts of the coast if yo look. English troops even climbed up a cliff in the invasion of fort Quebec in the 1800's with absolutely no equipment. Though I'm sure you can't land on cliffs the point is that the landing condition do not have to be absolutely perfect for my troops to land there as the game justly dictates.

As for the Hojo I added a bit about the fact they have 2 provinces.

Thank you for the feedback
    edited February 2011
    next question, the chosokabe cannot defend their enemies from making landfall because ship movement range is gigantic so even if you have a superior navy all that I need to do is go far south and then go west until I reach chin, then just follow china and I'll get to you from an angle you would never expect, you may drown my ships the following turn but my troops will already be on shore. as for the landing thing I can actually land on most parts of the coast if yo look. English troops even climbed up a cliff in the invasion of fort Quebec in the 1800's with absolutely no equipment. Though I'm sure you can't land on cliffs the point is that the landing condition do not have to be absolutely perfect for my troops to land there as the game justly dictates.

Although I don't want to make the impression of dealing out destructive criticism, there is still one aspect to consider: there is a big difference between capturing and holding in the long term.

Maybe you can drop one or two armies and the Chosokabe lose one or even two provinces, but if you cannot establish any supply fast, all effort will be for naught. And there is still the problem that I cannot imagine any small clan who can spare one or two of those armies plus the fleet to transport them within the scope of such a large scale operation. Leaving your land without defence is an invitation for anyone with a wish for easy conquest.

It is easier to attack a direct neigbor and hold the prize on the main land, that's sure.
  • SanjuroSanjuro Senior Member U.K.Posts: 1,605Registered Users
    edited February 2011
    I am referring to when you start the game or maybe I should reffer to all of the factions having an island?

I have no idea what you're talking about. Please post more clearly.
    next question, the chosokabe cannot defend their enemies from making landfall because ship movement range is gigantic so even if you have a superior navy all that I need to do is go far south and then go west until I reach chin, then just follow china and I'll get to you from an angle you would never expect

1. I have no idea what sort of naval movement you are describing.
    2. Naval range is not so huge that you can come from any direction.
    3. If you go too far out of the way you run the risk of coming across another clan that will attack you.
    3. Only idiots make a single "mega navy". You should aim have a few fleets dotted around to control areas.
    English troops even climbed up a cliff in the invasion of fort Quebec

This is a game, not the Seven Years War.
    As for the Hojo I added a bit about the fact they have 2 provinces.

Your whole description of the Hojo is backwards. You need to start with their strong financial and territorial postion. Sure, after x turns many clans will have taken another province. But then the Hojo have the opportunity to have increased their territory to 3 pronvinces, maybe 4.
  • Brando 95Brando 95 Senior Member Posts: 302Registered Users
    edited February 2011
    Sanjuro wrote: »
    It's not sexy, but it means that they will be able to expand more quickly than other clans, having extra income

Yes it is I ruined my shorts when I learned that
    On A Mountain threatened to take away our siggies! . . . . And I don't even smoke!
  • MontcalmMontcalm Senior Member Posts: 489Registered Users
    edited February 2011
    Hello,

I voted the thread 5 stars simply for the usefulness of it's information on the different clans present in the game. So thank you for posting !
    If I may add a little suggestion, you may want to add a picture of Japan and the different starting locations of each factions when it becomes available, and the banner of each clan next to their description.

Good continuation,
    Montcalm.
    edited February 2011
    Montcalm wrote: »
    Hello,

I voted the thread 5 stars simply for the usefulness of it's information on the different clans present in the game. So thank you for posting !
    If I may add a little suggestion, you may want to add a picture of Japan and the different starting locations of each factions when it becomes available, and the banner of each clan next to their description.

Good continuation,
    Montcalm.

Great idea, I will make sure to add that within the next 5 minutes

EDIT: could not find one :(
  • MontcalmMontcalm Senior Member Posts: 489Registered Users
    edited February 2011
    Hi,

My pleasure :) I created a similar thread for Napoleon : Total War before it's release, so I understand what works and what doesn't (writing the description of every faction in a different colour was an un-readable mess for example).
  • BBKenshinBBKenshin Member Posts: 93Registered Users
    edited February 2011
    Good idea to have a guide for all the clans and well done for trying to write one.

I do have to say I don't agree on all of your points, but that's just my opinion, no one can tell for sure on tactics till the game is released.

You have Chosokabe as Chokosbe in part 1.
  • [MAGOG]Kruelgor[MAGOG]Kruelgor Senior Member Posts: 410Registered Users
    edited February 2011
    The fact this thread wasn't stickied is evidence that it's not an accurate assessment and summarization.

Good try though, I like the effort and commitment.
    Are you a Gog? (Great Online Gamer)
    Military Alliance of Great Online Gamers (MAGOG)
    http://www.MagogClan.com
  • KurkistanKurkistan Senior Member Posts: 293Registered Users
    edited February 2011
    ^This thread not being stickied is not evidence of anything, Kruelgor.

CA doesn't sticky guide threads at all nowadays. Since I introduced the GttG, we've relied on that instead of cluttering up the first page, and even the GttG isn't going to be stickied until the actual release.
    edited February 2011
    The fact this thread wasn't stickied is evidence that it's not an accurate assessment and summarization.

Good try though, I like the effort and commitment.

For your information I have contacted a mod regarding that matter however they cannot sticky this because of the 5 sticky max (the are 11 right now so they are waiting for the full game to release so they can delete them.)

No threads are going to be stickied until the game is released so you are making an unfair comparison, I also highly doubt that you even tried to read the whole thing.
  • emilsinclairemilsinclair Junior Member Posts: 9Registered Users
    edited February 2011
    I applaud the general idea behind this thread, but I think the commentary thus far is unfortunately rather superficial. At this point, because the game has not yet been released, a guide like this is speculative - this means that it can only be compelling if the ****ysis is backed up with good reasons using all the information we currently possess. In this instance, I just don't think that is the case. Instead, we just see subjective explanations for why this or that clan looks like more fun to play than the others.

For example, don't just say that you wouldn't really like to play as the Hojo, because their siege advantages can only take effect later in the game, or because these advantages can be easily counter-acted. Look at the campaign map. The Hojo start with two provinces, one of which has a smithing resource, the other containing a gold resource. That's really useful, and will influence their strategy. It means that the Hojo have the potential to build buffed samurai and ashigaru infantry units really early. Nearby, the Kazusa province across the bay has another useful resource - iron. This suggests that a good potential initial strategy for the Hojo would involve capturing Kazusa and thereby have early access to advanced sword units and buildings. The combination of the smithing and iron resources means that Hojo could have quite powerful melee infantry troops early in the game, irrespective of their clan-specific bonuses. Of course, anyone playing as Hojo is faced with an obvious dilemma. The Takeda are right next door - should you try to hold them off while quickly conquering the rich provinces of the Kanto plain, or try to take them out early? These are the sorts of issues that should be addressed in a thread like this.

As another example, take the Uesugi clan. They can train strong, balanced infantry units that fight well against cavalry or katana infantry, but not as well as the units specifically designed to counter those units. So they're good at fighting against cavalry, but not as good as yari troops. They are good at fighting against katana samurai, but not as good as cavalry. The original post suggests that a good strategy against them is to just swarm them with general units of a lesser quality. This sounds bizarre. The Uesugi special units have almost no armor - it seems pretty obvious that they should be countered with archers.

But this is all beside the point, because the real content of a walkthrough should take into consideration their starting position, and "walk through" the starting moves. Echigo has a resource that benefits the navy. Obviously, they should build a ship early and get to the rich gold resource in the island off their coast. From there, should they focus on getting trade routes, and specializing Echigo's resource towards to make those trade routes more lucrative, or should they specialize it towards more experience ship crews, with the aim of controlling the northern seas? Interestingly, the province directly to the north, Uzen, contains the hallowed ground resource. If Uzen is captured, and this resource is upgraded, it can add +4 experience to the monk warrior units produced in that province! A quick glance at the encyclopedia is enough to confirm how strong those units would be, given the Uesugi's initial bonus to those units. Alternatively, however, the hallowed ground could be upgraded to give every Uesugi unit +5 morale! Again, that's huge! A good walkthrough should consider these sorts of dilemmas, which we can predict a Uesugi player will encounter early on, and think about which would be the best way to go. Where should the Uesugi go from there? Take out the Date, and try to control the North? The advantage to this would be an easily defensible zone of control with only two real land entrances.

Sorry, this ended up being rather lengthy. I though these comments might steer the discussion in a more productive direction...
  • SystemSystem Posts: 7,107
    edited February 2011
    Great idea, I will make sure to add that within the next 5 minutes

EDIT: could not find one :(

I took and uploaded this one for my own personal use a couple of days ago and you can use it until you find a better one if you want :)

Clans.jpg
  • BoblandryBoblandry Junior Member Posts: 16Registered Users
    edited February 2011
    Good read, thanks for the effort:)