Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Wtf my pc went from gpu temp in idle at 45 to 33 ?!

quezcotlquezcotl Senior MemberPosts: 670Registered Users
edited March 2011 in Technology
Just booted up steam and they told me to update some ATI drivers and so I did.
Wtf is this all about?

was my ATI cataclyst temp figure saying wrong numbers? or can drivers actually lower my gpu with 12 degree?

wtf is going on.

My graphic card is a radeon XFX radeon 6850.
Post edited by quezcotl on

Comments

• evotucevotuc Senior Member Posts: 983Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    Drivers are the software that tell the hardware how to operate. A driver update is released on a somewhat regular basis. This is normal.

This will sometimes revert any changes that you made. Did you have the card over-clocked? If so, you may need to re-perform the over-clock.

If that is not the case, the new driver might have made the card run more efficiently.

In the end, it sounds like a good thing. The less heat it produces, the longer it lasts.

Have you noticed anything different about the way it handles games?
    2% Club
    FX 8350
    Sabertooth 990FX
    8GB 1600 RAM
    AMD 7950
    How much more grievous are the consequences of anger than the causes of it?
  • quezcotlquezcotl Senior Member Posts: 670Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    I did use some overdrive settings... but I havnt played anything special beside World of warcraft today at max settings 1080p constant 60 fps, was at ultra as usual... might try crysis2 demot är STW 2 and see any diffrence.
  • AlJabberwockAlJabberwock Moderator USAPosts: 7,729Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, a crossreference of several sensing programs might be a good idea. What were you using to determine CPU temp?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Every so often things happen that can’t be rationalized in a conventional way. People wanna know their government has a response. I am that response.”
    ― Kent Mansley (in "Iron Giant")

For most general problems, for which you have no idea of the culprit, your first port of call should be:
    https://support.sega.co.uk/hc/en-us/categories/200307381-Total-War-Support

If you are aware of a bug or a specific issue for which you know the cause, post in the support section for the specific title on our forums. ~Al

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
  • IscaranIscaran Tech-Hero. Posts: 4,229Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    Well either the drivers did change something about how the hardware is using lowering the "impact" of idle GPU time on the GPU temp....or the sensors where giving "wrong" data and this was fixed with the driver release.
    Iscaran

Hero.

If you need help with a support request on these boards please read this and follow the instructions.
  • lordmaximus77lordmaximus77 Technical Moderator Leeuwarden, NLPosts: 3,337Registered Users, Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights
    edited March 2011
    What driver version did you previously have? It could very well be AMD made changes to the "auto" fan profiles and/or adjusted 2D clocks in the versions between your previous version and the 11.2 you installed through Steam.
    Any fool can make things bigger and more complex. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction. — Albert Einstein

viri non urinat in ventum — Anonymous Roman

TOTAL WAR FORUM: TERMS AND CONDITIONS
  • AlJabberwockAlJabberwock Moderator USAPosts: 7,729Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights
    edited March 2011
    Iscaran wrote: »
    Well either the drivers did change something about how the hardware is using lowering the "impact" of idle GPU time on the GPU temp....or the sensors where giving "wrong" data and this was fixed with the driver release.

My thoughts exactly, but better expressed.
    It could very well be AMD made changes to the "auto" fan profiles and/or adjusted 2D clocks in the versions
    This is also a good point.

Still waiting on a driver vers. number and the sensing software used if you have that info?

Thanks!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Every so often things happen that can’t be rationalized in a conventional way. People wanna know their government has a response. I am that response.”
    ― Kent Mansley (in "Iron Giant")

For most general problems, for which you have no idea of the culprit, your first port of call should be:
    https://support.sega.co.uk/hc/en-us/categories/200307381-Total-War-Support

If you are aware of a bug or a specific issue for which you know the cause, post in the support section for the specific title on our forums. ~Al

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
  • DarKtwDarKtw Tech Moderator Posts: 639Tech Moderators
    edited March 2011
    Depends. There were fan speed / and probably 2d clock issues with the original driver release but that was years ago, so if you've never updated, that's probably it.