Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Stickies and an Intel 1155 board

AlJabberwockAlJabberwock ModeratorUSAPosts: 7,729Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights
edited March 2011 in Technology
WEll guys, most of the stickies are gon, the construction site is well under way , and should be done before the weekend is over including linking to all the other support forums.

While I was doing that I have managed to snag (through simply logging on luckily right as they updated) one of Newegg's 1155 boards, an ASuS P8P67 Deluxe while the boards I was comparing it too vanished into 'sold out' signs as I comapred them... Phew! Pressed that button REAL fast. NOw I have to order the rest of the components... Doh! ;)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
“Every so often things happen that can’t be rationalized in a conventional way. People wanna know their government has a response. I am that response.”
― Kent Mansley (in "Iron Giant")

For most general problems, for which you have no idea of the culprit, your first port of call should be:
https://support.sega.co.uk/hc/en-us/categories/200307381-Total-War-Support

If you are aware of a bug or a specific issue for which you know the cause, post in the support section for the specific title on our forums. ~Al

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
Post edited by AlJabberwock on

Comments

• Legendary_WarriorLegendary_Warrior Senior Member Posts: 964Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    I am going for the ASUS Sabertooth for my board. i was going to go with the deluxe but from all the reviews on the net the Sabertooth looks like the preferred choice when gaming and over clocking
    My Rig
    Processor:
    i7 8700k Intel processor 3.7ghz
    Motherboard:
    Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 7 Motherboard
    RAM:
    Corsair Vengeance LED CMU32GX4M4C3000C15R 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4
    Power Supply:
    Corsair RM850i 850W 80 Plus Gold Power Supply
    Graphics Card:
    Gigabyte AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce Xtreme Edition

I would rather die on the field of battle ahead of my men than an old man in my bed knowing that good men have died instead of me.

• AlJabberwockAlJabberwock Moderator USAPosts: 7,729Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights
    edited March 2011
    These are both pretty good and obviously similar P67 boards, and perhaps the best short of the overpriced Maximus. I chose the Deluxe for two major reasons and one minor:

1)No idea what you are reading, but the Deluxe allows for several higher speed species of Ram by board Spec, and while this is not always required or even desireable, since I am using my hybrid liquid/below-ambient-capable cooling system with a 2600k, I am pretty sure I am going to want those. [Shakes a fist at HardOCP guys! ;)]

2)With full respect to ASuS for interesting cooling design innovations, these designs are also usually DEMENTEDLY successful as dust-collectors, and having seen that Sabertooth up close and personal for a build, that has the makings of a record breaker. I am using a liquid cooling system that puts the radiator and fans outside of the case, which is incredibly useful in reducing case-litter and dust, but even so!

3) A minor advantage is the Plex switching chip that allows more PCIe lines, so wider bandwidth, and greater use of wide bandwidth USB and PCIe devices can be used at the same time without sacrificing performance. At this point I am not certain that chip is present on the Sabertooth.
    These boards are otherwise almost identical with the exception of the USB front panel unit, the TPU/EPU gizmo, and 892 Realtek chip vs the 889. IF you're a premium Geektosterone user, the latter two won't be tested. If you WILL use them:

The 892
    The 892 is available in the Sabertooth and not the Deluxe, which has the 889. The 889 is possibly the most successful RT sound chip to date with the 892 as its successor. Rightmark tests give the edge as you would expect to the newer chip, but it is slight, and what we know about audio signal means that individual mobo design and port/speakers can make more difference than codecs. For me, thats not enough to buy the Sabertooth.

The TPU/EPU Gizmo
    This is available on the Deluxe, and not the Sabertooth. I am an old-fashioned OCer and like my stuff done at the Bios level, although I will be interested enough to try it for the sake of others who might want to use them.

The 3.0 Sata adapter thingy:
    This is available on the Deluxe and not the Sabertooth. Well not certain that its enough of an inconvenience to have to use one of the rear 3.0 satas on the Sabertooth to go for the Deluxe, but since its going in an immense NZTX Phantom, we will be using it, and its appreciated.

Nota Bene: While I am not one for following the crowd all the time, the Deluxe sold out WHILE I was looking at it (and managed to get one). The slightly less-expensive Sabertooth is still available two days later...

Al
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Every so often things happen that can’t be rationalized in a conventional way. People wanna know their government has a response. I am that response.”
    ― Kent Mansley (in "Iron Giant")

For most general problems, for which you have no idea of the culprit, your first port of call should be:
    https://support.sega.co.uk/hc/en-us/categories/200307381-Total-War-Support

If you are aware of a bug or a specific issue for which you know the cause, post in the support section for the specific title on our forums. ~Al

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest