Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Just Graduated....

CollingwoodCollingwood MemberPosts: 110Registered Users
edited December 2014 in Napoleon: Total War
From 'Empire' to 'Napoleon' that is.

I'm close to the end of the Coalition Campaign already, after 60 hours or so, and although graphically the game looks a lot better than 'Empire', it's smoother and loads more quickly, I'm not enjoying it as much. I have 360hrs in 'Empire'.

The campaign map seems small and claustrophobic in comparison, the naval battles were ok at the start but now everyone just runs away from me and Naval battles are non-existent unless I force them.

I have 3 more regions to capture, one of which is essential for victory, but it's only Early January 1810.

Is this game actually a lot easier than 'Empire', or is it just that I'm more used to the 'Total War' gameplay method?

Should I raise the difficulty level?
'In Peace, prepare for War. In War, prepare for more War' - Anon
Post edited by Collingwood on

Comments

• GoslingGosling Senior Member Posts: 1,887Registered Users
    edited November 2014
    How is the game harder than Empire. I wouldn't say having a difference in the map size would make a difference in difficulty. Empire is the one with the brain dead AI. NTW's true strength is in multiplayer, so I'd play that. Raise the difficulty settings if you wish.
    "I'm gonna stomp 'em to dust. I'm gonna grind their bones. I'm gonna burn down dere towns and cities. I'm gonna pile 'em up inna big fire and roast 'em. I'm gonna bash heads, break faces, and jump up and down on the bits that are left.

An' den I'm gonna get really mean."

Grimgor Ironhide, Black Orc Warboss.
  • AlJabberwockAlJabberwock Moderator USAPosts: 7,729Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights
    edited November 2014
    I never played below very hard/Legendary until I got to a couple of FotS factions - and even hardest on NTW isn't really very hard depending on what factions you play. INdeed play MP, play Prussia, play on the hardest you can. Decide to own Sweden. :) Good luck!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Every so often things happen that can’t be rationalized in a conventional way. People wanna know their government has a response. I am that response.”
    ― Kent Mansley (in "Iron Giant")

For most general problems, for which you have no idea of the culprit, your first port of call should be:
    https://support.sega.co.uk/hc/en-us/categories/200307381-Total-War-Support

If you are aware of a bug or a specific issue for which you know the cause, post in the support section for the specific title on our forums. ~Al

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
  • CollingwoodCollingwood Member Posts: 110Registered Users
    edited November 2014
    Gosling wrote: »
    How is the game harder than Empire. I wouldn't say having a difference in the map size would make a difference in difficulty. Empire is the one with the brain dead AI. NTW's true strength is in multiplayer, so I'd play that. Raise the difficulty settings if you wish.

I think Napoleon is a lot easier than Empire. Disappointingly so. Sorry if I wasn't clear. Maybe it was a mistake to start the game on medium difficulty settings after 360 hours in Empire......

But thanks for the tips guys, appreciated. :)
    edited November 2014
    Well, no, you weren't clear: you just said fleets ran away from you...

And sorry: I meant to say how is Empire harder than NTW?
    "I'm gonna stomp 'em to dust. I'm gonna grind their bones. I'm gonna burn down dere towns and cities. I'm gonna pile 'em up inna big fire and roast 'em. I'm gonna bash heads, break faces, and jump up and down on the bits that are left.

edited November 2014
    Gosling wrote: »
    Well, no, you weren't clear: you just said fleets ran away from you...

And sorry: I meant to say how is Empire harder than NTW?

I'd say a number of ways. For instance, when I capture a region in NTW, the owning nation makes no attempt to recapture it as happens in ETW. Rebellions from dissatisfied populations haven't happened so far, as they did in ETW. France is way ahead of me in Naval prestige in NTW, but their fleets I've met so far are much smaller than mine. I wish I could find where they're all hiding, and why :).

As it happens, I completed the NTW victory conditions tonight (nice firework display), and now just have to hold them all until December 1812. It all just seemed a bit too easy, and certainly much shorter in duration than the Empire campaign.

Still, I had some pretty impressive land battles. Might just do a little movie of the best bits.....
    edited November 2014
    I'd say a number of ways. For instance, when I capture a region in NTW, the owning nation makes no attempt to recapture it as happens in ETW. Rebellions from dissatisfied populations haven't happened so far, as they did in ETW. France is way ahead of me in Naval prestige in NTW, but their fleets I've met so far are much smaller than mine. I wish I could find where they're all hiding, and why :).

As it happens, I completed the NTW victory conditions tonight (nice firework display), and now just have to hold them all until December 1812. It all just seemed a bit too easy, and certainly much shorter in duration than the Empire campaign.

Still, I had some pretty impressive land battles. Might just do a little movie of the best bits.....

Interesting. Fleet and armies have NEVER ran away from me unless I have a significant numerical advantage. I've found that riots and rebellions seem to start on just -1 public order. My cities get attacked all the time, and the AI seems to be very aggressive nearly all the time. I remember taking Paris and Toulouse quite a while ago in a Coalition Campaign when I had just started to attack France. I took them both with some difficulty (lots of decent infantry and cannon) but I had a hell of a time holding them. The French literally threw EVERYTHING at me trying to regain the cities: full stacks coming at me every turn or two. Paris rioted and rebelled straight away.

edited November 2014
    Well, I had the difficulty settings on medium, for both campaign and battle. Maybe yours was set higher?

Not long after my last post, the French in Paris did revolt, in spite of my having a full army and a Gentleman keeping order and exempting the region from taxes. There were two 'full stack' rebel armies, so I used my Paris army plus my army from Reims to put them down.
    Since then, my territory now extends in a line from Denmark down to Northern Italy, with Belgium and Cleves-Mark as protectorates. I've left the Portuguese, Dutch and the Swiss to themselves, but might declare war on one or two to liven things up a little. I already have 27 regions at early March 1811, full armies in all Border regions plus an extra one, £25,000 in the bank, my Navies are never attacked and most of the trade zones have eight or so trade ships in them, three Indiamen and five merchantmen in each, roughly.

Pretty soon I think I'll sell some of the German regions back to Prussia, thus giving me more armies to beat the remaining French and liberate my old ally Austria. Sounds like a plan.....:)

Edit: Screenshot attached..Napoleon 2014-11-28 18-05-15-04.jpg

Edit 2: Maybe we're supposed to stand by history and liberate Paris rather than occupy. I didn't think of that at the time. Bring back old fat Louis XVIII I say. :)
    edited November 2014
    I think it was on medium as well for me, strange. Perhaps the AI is just behaving differently for you?

edited November 2014
    Ok, I'm about to liberate Austria, and the game gave me an opportunity to assassinate Buonaparte with a spy, which of course failed. :)

I've gathered three full armies, because old Nap seems to be garnering all his forces and allies (Ottomans) to defend Austria. Is this the real climax of the game? It's August 1811 now.....
  • ThesaboteurThesaboteur Senior Member Posts: 812Registered Users
    edited December 2014
    Challenge: Conquer Corsica.

You will find: 10 Old Guards, 5 guard artillery, 5 curassiers, Chuck Norris, Cerberus, and Guile defending it. True story

I suggest you find Napoleon Total Factions and play as Spain if you don't have the DLC (Hint: It sucks). Quite fun playing as Spain in the grand campaign. You're not an empire anymore, but it doesn't mean Spain isn't strong. They have close trade nodes (Like 1 turn away for fleets on multiple nodes), good starting position if you build your navy, and can take on the Italian factions everyone ignores.

As Russia, I've had them do a naval landing with 3+ armies.
    edited December 2014
    Challenge: Conquer Corsica. You will find: 10 Old Guards, 5 guard artillery, 5 curassiers, Chuck Norris, Cerberus, and Guile defending it. True story.

OK, interesting. I passed December 1812 without losing any of the seven victory regions (no-one ever attempted to retake them), with a total of 47 regions. I re-established both the Prussian and Austro-Hungarian Empires, but as protectorates of GB. None of my trade fleets were attacked, ever. Let alone my naval forces. France ceased to exist, as did the Ottoman Empire.

I've got a decent army based in the Balearics, so I'll give it a shot. :)

Edit: No can do. Portugal has already taken Corsica. France doesn't exist as I said before. Silly me.