Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Starting Out with Battle (older edition)

MichaelHopcroftMichaelHopcroft Junior MemberPosts: 1Registered Users
edited December 2014 in Napoleon: Total War
My first post, so bear with me. I have the pre-Gold Napoleon game which I did the basic training in but got very confused when I was given my first set-piece battle. You have to go in with a plan, obviously, just just surveying the battlefield did not give me one.

Making matters worse, the victory condition is to keep the opposing commander from fleeing for his life, and he starts heading out the moment the first guns sound (the cad!) Makes me wonder how it is possible to win.

I don't remember the name of the battle, and I presume these battles are used mainly to train you before you start waging competitive play. I presume most of you have beaten it. So how do I come up with my plan?
Post edited by MichaelHopcroft on

Comments

• CollingwoodCollingwood Member Posts: 110Registered Users
    edited December 2014
    Well, I'm pretty new too. But in my experience, if the commander is Napoleon, he always manages to escape with his life. :)

There are plenty of guys here who know much more than me, but it's mostly about knowing the capabilities of the different units, which only comes through actually playing the game, together with a bit of historical research if you're so inclined. I just read a book about Waterloo, where the author describes Napoleonic battles as 'rock, paper, scissors'.

For instance, light infantry can disperse to avoid huge losses from artillery, but are then really vulnerable to cavalry. Conversely, if a line infantry regiment is told to 'form square', they'll fend off any cavalry charge, but artillery will make a real mess of them.

It's all about knowing how to set your army up before starting the battle, knowing their special abilities and when to use them. I'm not familiar with the scenario you describe, but if you send a cavalry regiment way off to the side at the double, then swing them in to cut off the commander's line of escape, that might work, but I'm guessing. :)
    'In Peace, prepare for War. In War, prepare for more War' - Anon
  • GoslingGosling Senior Member Posts: 1,887Registered Users
    edited December 2014
    This battle called Lodi by any chance out of Napoleon's battles?
    "I'm gonna stomp 'em to dust. I'm gonna grind their bones. I'm gonna burn down dere towns and cities. I'm gonna pile 'em up inna big fire and roast 'em. I'm gonna bash heads, break faces, and jump up and down on the bits that are left.

An' den I'm gonna get really mean."

Grimgor Ironhide, Black Orc Warboss.
  • ThesaboteurThesaboteur Senior Member Posts: 812Registered Users
    edited December 2014
    It's the first battle in his battle campaign thingy.

I never had a problem with this particular battle. I would focus my cannons on the upcoming reinforcements for Austria. Try moving your chasseurs and cavalry up the hill out of enemy fire. There should be a river crossing up north guarded by Austria which you can break through. It'll allow you to go in the enemies rear and prevent the enemy general from fleeing.
  • LecourbeLecourbe Senior Member Posts: 610Registered Users
    edited December 2014
    This battle is indeed, Lodi, fought in Northern Italy just East of Milan. It is the Austrian General Beaulieu who is trying to escape across the River Adda with the Austrian rearguard corps. Bonaparte had approx. 17,000 men & 30 guns & Beaulieu about 9,000 men & 14 guns. Part of the French cavalry; the Dragoons under Gen. Beaumont did in fact cross the Adda by a ford a couple of miles upstream, threatening the Austrian escape. Gen. Beaulieu did escape with the main body of his corps, leaving his subordinate Gen. Sebbotendorf to defend the bridge in Lodi town.