Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.
So, as we know, FotS is based during the Middle-Victorian Era, obviously based around the War of the Dragon/Boshin War (Japanese Civil War). But, as we have it, there are now Western/European/American faces usable to make units. Has anyone ever thought to make a Middle-Victorian mod solely for the multiplayer/custom battles featuring the powerful nations of the Prussian Empire, Second French Republic, British Empire, Austria-Hungary, Spanish Empire, Russian Empire, United States, etc.? I think it could work out extraordinarily well, if you ask me, and I'll tell you why:
1. The setting is already here. We already have the Middle-Victorian setting with FotS. THe 1860-70's were a high time for some of the most significant wars in European history, including the very well known Franco-Prussian War.
2. Making new units would be easy. We have the European/Western faces already, quite a bit of uniforms too. All that'd be required is to mix and match uniforms, model some minor uniforms for nations like the Prussian and Russian Empires, change some scene props, and creating historical battlefields.
3. The community for this mod could be huge. Being born European (Living in the US), I am infatuated with the wars of Europe from Ancient Rome to the Second World War. Our European community is the largest gaming community in the world. This mod would attract such an insane amount of attention, it would be impossible not to find a game. This time period is also great for the Americans, because this is post-war American Civil War, where the United States was just reeling back from the worst war in its history.
4. Mechanics are practically done. The line warfare of the Middle-Victorian era is already here, with FotS. All it would take is some minor tweaking, reworking range and accuracy, adding some better smoke and artillery effects, guns are still the same; We have the breech-loaders needed already for the Austro-Hungarian empire, we already have Martini-Henry's for the British, Chassepots and Springfields for the French and Americans... new models for the Werndl-Holub, Dreyse, Berthier, Berdan, and Remington rifle-tuypes could easily be done.
5. We have access to a huge amount of resources and a great map editor. With the Shogun II map editor, the possibilities are endless in regards to famous battles of the era...
6. Naval warfare is all set and ready to go! What can I say? We already have our ironclad steamships used by major powers.
7. We can still keep Imperial Japan as a combatant nation. What's said is said. The ability to keep post-Boshin War Japan (Iimperial Japan) is entirely feasible. It was after the Boshin War that Japan became very heavily known and pretty much became its own superpower.
8. Endless hours of badassness. I mean, come on, who wouldn't want a Middle-Victorian mod?
I have always wanted a mod like this, but alas, I haven't the full capabilities to do so. I can texture models for games like Napoleonic Wars for Mount and Blade: Warband, so I can do it for Total War too. I just personally feel this could be a great project, easily done too. If there's already a mod like this, PLEASE forward me to it.
Thanks for your time of reading this, I look forward to hearing from you guys!