Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

The Huns in Campaign

WaywatcherWaywatcher Junior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 28
edited March 2015 in General Discussion
Now I think a wild-card faction that levies a whole bunch of armies once or twice per game and comes storming into your territory is fun and challenging, and I had a lot of fun with it the first couple of times it happened. But then it kept happening...over, and over, and over, and over.

About every 20 turns the huns show up with 6 full stack armies on top of each other. I have literally done nothing but fight the entire hunnic faction, wipe them off the ******g map, only to have them return 2 or 3 turns later as the number 1 or 2 power ranked faction where they make a beeline for the same place in my territory. Here's what I find every few years:

2015-02-28_00001.jpg

And the supremely frustrating thing of it is, I have to try and win against 40 horse archers and 10 large onagers with only, what's the player max, 40? units. Obviously this campaign is no longer fun as it consists of endlessly grinding down huns. I mean I'm ostrogoths and I settled on the Illyrian coast and I've only managed to conquer the Greek peninsula and thracia in 50 years, it's ridiculous. Has anyone else had this mind-numbing experience? I was super into Attila when it first came out but a good 20 hours is essentially down the drain right now with this campaign being essentially worthless and broken.
Post edited by Waywatcher on

Comments

• MephalamosMephalamos Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,026
    edited February 2015
    Pretty much.

It's just not fun, especially since the Huns seem to overly prioritize bothering the player.

Have you killed Attila?
    Snappera wrote: »
    Culture - Total War fan

Eternal Virginity: -2 provincial growth rate
    DLC Rage: Taxation negative public order modifier x2
    PC Master Race: -10% unit recruitment cost
    Fake Historical Knowledge: Can recruit units from nearby factions
    Nerdy: +25% Research Rate.
  • tqhung87tqhung87 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 401
    edited February 2015
    You should be happy that they only appear once every 20 turns :))
  • BMNOBLE981BMNOBLE981 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,210
    edited February 2015
    Well what did you expect you set up in the Balkans, in all my campaigns that's where the Huns go the most, not to mention your right below their tributary states usually are.

You should have migrated further west before deciding to settle your faction, all you have done is replace the Romans in the area as a priority target.

In all of my campaigns so far the Huns have more or less used Dacia as a base of operations for their raids into the Roman Empires, you have set up shop in the way blocking their raids into the Roman Empires and the east.
    Dr Zoidberg "We fight over matters of honour, and whether or not abbreviations count in scrabble. THEY DON'T"

“My fault. What I said in the guild was incorrect: rather than ‘death is certain if you follow me’, I actually meant ‘come along and I shall slaughter the lot of you’.”

Ainz Ooal Gown Overlord Light Novels
  • SjirikiSjiriki Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,370
    edited February 2015
    Hunnic hordes seem to stick together. Which is strange as they get a large integrity penalty this way. WOuld be better if they spread out
  • WaywatcherWaywatcher Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 28
    edited February 2015
    Mephalamos wrote: »
    Pretty much.

It's just not fun, especially since the Huns seem to overly prioritize bothering the player.

Have you killed Attila?

Man Attila is like 2 years old.
  • SerenegooseSerenegoose Member Registered Users Posts: 100
    edited February 2015
    I'm playing a visigoth campaign presently, and settled a little further south than the historical visigoths did (Spain, not France). So far, no factions whatsoever have decided to chase me to the ends of the earth with 100% of their military force. It's 422 AD, and the only interaction I had with the huns was a non-aggression pact because they loved me for obliterating large numbers of roman settlements. It's entirely possible this is just a fluke, but I think with the migratory factions, you really have to migrate. Like, far away. Now admittedly, the Ostrogoths in reality didn't settle much further away than you, but if you'd say, used your hordes to snag Rome or even just northern italy, you'd have a more defensible position. You've either got to move to the far ends of the earth and use the roman collapse as a buffer, or you've got to supplant rome entirely. Settling on the borders of the empire didn't work well for anybody who tried it, and you've set yourself up as the prime hunnic target in a game that was specifically advertised as 'unfair' because of the huns.

I know I'm coming across a little harsh here, and I apologise! But you've gotta play the game differently.
  • MephalamosMephalamos Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,026
    edited February 2015
    Hetairoi wrote: »
    Man Attila is like 2 years old.

I've heard that once you kill him, the Huns can actually be defeated.

I can't confirm this, as I have yet to actually kill him. :(
    Snappera wrote: »
    Culture - Total War fan

Eternal Virginity: -2 provincial growth rate
    DLC Rage: Taxation negative public order modifier x2
    PC Master Race: -10% unit recruitment cost
    Fake Historical Knowledge: Can recruit units from nearby factions
    Nerdy: +25% Research Rate.
  • WaywatcherWaywatcher Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 28
    edited February 2015
    Eh, whatever. Guess I'm going to delete that save file and wait until modders have a go at the campaign.
  • LlameLlame Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 156
    edited February 2015
    Mephalamos wrote: »
    I've heard that once you kill him, the Huns can actually be defeated.

I can't confirm this, as I have yet to actually kill him. :(
    It feels so great killing him. After you defeat him twice he stops getting free armies each turn.

But no wonder the WRE fell when Attila went to hogwarts which taught him how to master the art of endless manpower and money.
  • thomas miltenburgthomas miltenburg Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 10
    edited February 2015
    i have the same thing with my western roman campaign its 425 i have reagind all my former territory plus some more(hole of Britannia frisia and Libia) but the huns keep coming every 4-8 turns they come with another 4-5 stack
    armies its just not fun anymore i used cant go into iliria and panonie because of it
  • Ironside12Ironside12 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 6,127
    edited February 2015
    The Huns are infinite until you kill Attila, first time you take him out in battle, he's wounded, second time, he's dead. After that, the Huns can be crushed as any normal faction can.
    Sjiriki wrote: »
    Balancing is a far more intricate thing than looking at who wins a 1v1 fight.

My Build:
    CPU- i7-4790k Devils Canyon @4.6Ghz
    Cooler: Corsair H110i GT
    RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro
    PSU- Corsair 1200i 1200W
    GPU-R9 290X Sapphire Tri-X
    Boot Drive: Intel 530 series 240GB SSD
    Game Drive: Intel 730 series 480GB SSD
    Storage Drive: WD Black 2TB HDD
  • JAGripenJAGripen Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1
    edited February 2015
    Hetairoi wrote: »
    I have to try and win against 40 horse archers and 10 large onagers

Ah, those onagers... them nomads have those in every army, in the woods of desolated Eastern Europe...

And what onagers they have, they can wipe out charging cavalry with their accurate firecontrol!

First mod to correct this is my hero.
  • cysser7118cysser7118 Member Registered Users Posts: 50
    edited February 2015
    Wow I wonder whats going on with the Huns in my Campaign. I was literally about to make a thread asking if anyone else was having this problem. In my ERE campaign its the year 417 and I haven't had one fight with the huns. I am now the most powerful nation, WRE is a shadow of its former self still holding italy, some of africa, a few places in spain, and whatever is left of the north. However the Huns leave me alone, and the biggest amount of them I've seen in one place has only been 3 stacks.
  • Hidden GunmanHidden Gunman Moderator Moderators Posts: 4,606
    edited February 2015
    Play as the Huns on anything above 'easy' difficulty...fight against the 'coalition of everyone', there's no break from massed waves of stalkers.
    Yes, it's me.

Gungho |Takeda| Yamagato Masakage

You have spoken with clarity of thought and rhetorical flourish...you have surely earned the favour of the mods.

If you didn't, click here...
  • OxuOxu Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 651
    edited February 2015
    Hey OP,listen me. I have something to tell you..

*drums start playing*

LETS get down to business, to defeat....the huns
  • ArilouArilou Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 632
    edited February 2015
    Oxu wrote: »
    Hey OP,listen me. I have something to tell you..

*drums start playing*

LETS get down to business, to defeat....the huns

"Did they send me daughters, when I asked for sons?"
  • TheBraveKnightTheBraveKnight Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,659
    edited February 2015
    I wish the Huns were handled in the same manner that the Mongols were handled in Medieval 2.

I expected the Huns to come mid-game with Attila. That would have given the AI factions and player a mid-game challenge to prepare for.

Instead it's just an expected nuisance of random, infinite army stacks that raze everything early game....
    Current Top 3 Total War List

1) Thrones of Britannia - Art style, soundtrack, aging portraits, sieges, politics, and trait system!
    (Prob 3 Kingdoms after I invest more hours. Awesome awesome game!)

2) Warhammer 2 - Eye of the Vortex

3) Shogun 2

Honorable mentions - Medieval 1

• Pinkerton00Pinkerton00 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 471
    edited February 2015
    Well, OP, that's why you played a migrating faction! You can just pick up and leave if you don't want to deal with the Huns. Just go off to Western Europe or Italy or the middle east. Put some territory between you and the huns and they'll bother you less.

Btw, I did kill Attila once so far in my campaign. I'm playing the Sassanids and I've pushed as far west as Constantinople. Attila and his buddies are just testing my borders, raiding all the useless desolated lands of most of Thrace. So, I sent out a lone man. A 56 year old Persian champion. He marched right into the Hunnic camp and killed the guy. I guess he technically wounded him since Attila is apparently invincible the first time around, but still. The story that champion has to tell has got to be super freaking epic!
  • GlappkaftGlappkaft Member Registered Users Posts: 36
    edited March 2015
    Llame wrote: »
    It feels so great killing him. After you defeat him twice he stops getting free armies each turn.

But no wonder the WRE fell when Attila went to hogwarts which taught him how to master the art of endless manpower and money.
    Haha, you Sir get a gold star in my book
  • GfileGfile Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 415
    edited March 2015
    I made non aggression pact with them and sent them few gifts and they never bothered me in campaign ...even helped me few times against the Romans, i also arranged marriage between the two which improved relations greatly, think that was the key move.
    Intel i7 4770k
    Asus Maximus Hero VI
    Corsair Vengence 8 gb 1600 LP
    MSI gtx 770 Gaming
    Thermaltake Armor JR custom modified case
    Thermaltake Frio Advanced
    Razer Naga 2013
    Razer Blackwidow Chroma
    Corsair GS 700
    Toshiba HD3D 32"

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit