Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Old TW player looking for basic tips

DacderDacder MemberPosts: 85Registered Users
edited May 2015 in Multiplayer
Hey, I've been playing competitive online TW for about 6 years now, mainly on Rome 1, and some on Rome 2. I just got Atilla and was wondering the sort of army composition which is popular, good factions, etc. Just to get some basic understanding of the game.
"I am become death, destroyer of worlds."- J. Robert Oppenheimer, head of the Trinity project, upon viewing the first successful atomic bomb test.
Post edited by Dacder on

Comments

• blademaster3090blademaster3090 Senior Member Posts: 402Registered Users
    edited April 2015
    Watch TPP's channel for tournament builds, right now there are close to 5 ways you can go:

1. Germanic builds - Alans or Vandals best since they have Noble Alani Cav. If not banned, bring 6 of these guys, they have 30 bonus vs cavalry spears and are by far the most cost-effective cavalry. Bring minimum 6 cavalry or you will not win, the rest of the money can be spent on 4-5 germanic archers (200 range, most cost-effective skirmisher) and spam shock inf like vandal berserker or elite agathyrsi warrior. No point in bringing pikes, maybe bring 2-3 for ***** and giggles.

2. Nordic builds - Jutes or Saxons. Jutes are the biggest threat because they have Huscarls. Bring 6 huscarls, 6 nordic horse lords, 4 hirdmen and the rest of the money on nordic bows or nordic band. It is the cheesiest rush build, but it is also the most powerful. Keep Nordic bows or nordic band in front of Huscarls, to absorb missiles and charges (the two weakness of double handed axes), charge with nordic horse lords, immediately follow up with huscarls and game over. Turn on flaming shot on your nordic bows because literally every unit in Nords have scare.

3. Sassanid Build - Tough build to win tournaments with, because easy to coutner. 6 Pushtigban (very strong shock cav), 3 armenian slingers, maybe some cheap archers, and elite dailamite spam. Dont ever bring the elephant it is beyond worthless. Problem with this build is, while Pushtigban can clear out any cav on the charge, if the melee cav uses wedge or diamond, the impact damage from the Pushtigban is gone, and they will not do anything in extended combat, so you have lost.

4.Burgundian Lancer build - 6 Royal Lancers, 6 burgundian axemen, spam germanic archers. Charge, follow up, game over. The strongest build in the game.

5. Hunnic build - 4-6 cheap shock cav, place them very close to your inf. 6 Uar Warriors, 4-6 Bosphoran infantry, 2-3 steppe bows. Charge with shock cav, IMMEDIATELY follow up with Uars, it is a very similar strategy to Jutes rush, but not as effective because Uars have the 'Spatha' weapon and not teh Double Handed axe which has bonus vs infantry.

In general, melee cav is king, skirmishers are mostly terrible apart from a couple units, there is no real need for tanky inf with lots of armor because they will get crushed on the charge and they dont need to block missiles coz missiles are **** anyways, only bring high attack melee infantry, and by god, don't bring spears.
    Check out my youtube channel! Mainly Rome 2 Multiplayer tactics, tutorials and replays :)
    www.youtube.com/wolftotalwar
  • DacderDacder Member Posts: 85Registered Users
    edited April 2015
    Thanks for the detailed post, old friend. <3
    "I am become death, destroyer of worlds."- J. Robert Oppenheimer, head of the Trinity project, upon viewing the first successful atomic bomb test.
    edited April 2015
    Dacder wrote: »
    thanks for the detailed post, old friend. <3

u colin me old m8? Ill punch yer nan i swer
    Check out my youtube channel! Mainly Rome 2 Multiplayer tactics, tutorials and replays :)
  • DacderDacder Member Posts: 85Registered Users
    edited April 2015
    u colin me old m8? Ill punch yer nan i swer
    Do I need to say it again? Did your hearing aid not catch it the first time?
  • DiplomattDiplomatt Senior Member Preston, UKPosts: 1,136Registered Users
    edited April 2015
    Oh yay dacders back the two community is saved
    [WOLF]Diplomatt

Moderator of www.reddit.com/r/totalwar
    edited April 2015
    Dacder wrote: »
    Do I need to say it again? Did your hearing aid not catch it the first time?

WHAT WAS THAT? no srsly, i cudnt hear u...MURIEL BRING ME MY EAR HORN
  • SutherlandSutherland Junior Member Posts: 20Registered Users
    edited April 2015
    Almost all factions are balanced enough to allow your skill be in priority for victory in competition.

Except Jutes, Hunns and Burgundians.

Franks are just very weak, and Celts are very specific.

All other are enough balanced to beat each other by equal players, in my opinion and by my experience.

And who say that skirmishers are not important - totaly wrong. Some of them are able to make 200+ of kills of expencive enemy units in tourney battles.
  • obelixthegreatobelixthegreat Senior Member Posts: 228Registered Users
    edited April 2015
    I do agree that skirmishers are important. But 200+ kills on expensive enemy units?? What skirmishers did you see getting that and what expensive unit where they shooting at?
    edited April 2015
    Sutherland wrote: »
    And who say that skirmishers are not important - totaly wrong. Some of them are able to make 200+ of kills of expencive enemy units in tourney battles.

lol. please show me these tourney battles.
  • Blackjack69Blackjack69 Senior Member Posts: 277Registered Users
    edited May 2015
    barbeb skirmishers saxon elite javelin man and all other elite javelin units can kill 200 plus easily if you are ******ed and do Nothing about it
    Team Wood Elves
    edited May 2015
    barbeb skirmishers saxon elite javelin man and all other elite javelin units can kill 200 plus easily if you are ******ed and do Nothing about it

1. that assumes you do nothing about it

2. that also assumes someone brings ******g elite saxon javs and barbed skirmishers instead of more nordic axe or more royal lancers XD

although i will admit, barbed skirmishers whup ***. if cav strength was reduced a bit we could see a lot more javelins on the field.
  • SutherlandSutherland Junior Member Posts: 20Registered Users
    edited May 2015

All right, i can send you in the evening. To you personally or on this forum. You can play with me as well, i can take WRE=)

You can write to me, or i write to you. My steam nickname is Emperor Constantine.
    edited May 2015
    Javelin units are actually used in tournament battles, they're not bad units at all. There are several tournament matches in which they were used, and to be more specific, players like Balor and Simon use them in tournaments and they work quite well for them.

yes but 200+ kills? balor showed me one replay where noble foederati got 200 kills which is amazing, and granted jav units are good, but they do a lot of friendly fire and the cheap ones are usually the most cost-effective ones.
  • IdioManiacIdioManiac Senior Member Posts: 330Registered Users
    edited May 2015
    Javelin units are actually used in tournament battles, they're not bad units at all. There are several tournament matches in which they were used, and to be more specific, players like Balor and Simon use them in tournaments and they work quite well for them.

lol balor (aka VM Sutherland from shogun 2) posted just before you did saying he would send them :P lolz

Internet forum names OP
    Me
    [-DF-] Skritshell: Hey whats up?
    [-DF-] Chaos: about to start a tourney game
    [-DF-] Skritshell: cool guy any good?
    [-DF-] Chaos: Should win 2-0
    [-DF-] Skritshell: and?
    [-DF-] Chaos: lost 2-0
    [-DF-] Skritshell: ahhh
    [-DF-] Skritshell: well done
    [-DF-] Chaos: ty
  • GoTW KubeeGoTW Kubee Senior Member Posts: 153Registered Users
    edited May 2015
    If you're looking for tips Dac then the best one I can give you is to stick with RTW ;)
    Admin on Total War Hub, the new home of the Rome: Total War Multiplayer community.