Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Sieges and city defences

VexiumVexium MemberRegistered Users Posts: 77
edited June 2015 in General Discussion
Hy there, first post ever on this forum :)

I wonder if the sieges will be the same as medieval 2 with multiple layers of walls or more like rome and attila where you only have one wall. Also wondering if you can occupy towers and gatehouses or if they will get destroyed when captured like in attila.

Maybe there is already a thread of it but havent found it.

Anny opinions?
Post edited by Vexium on

Comments

• OrkfaellerOrkfaeller Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,329
    edited June 2015
    I'd expect a single line of defense. Most Empire Cities for example seem to have a single citywall. And I'm not sure if they even still build castles/fortresses in the empire, that could have several walls.

Map-City-Nuln-2.jpg

map3.jpg

plan%2003.jpg

ubersr11.jpg

___EDIT____

You know what I just noticed? All major Empire cities seem to be built around rivers.

So this could add an interessting layer when besieging the Empire. The Defenders might be able to fall back across the river and defend bridges once the walls are lost.
  • GRAY_HATGRAY_HAT Senior Member UKRegistered Users Posts: 5,394
    edited June 2015
    Empire like R2
    Vampires like M2
    Dwarves like Dwarves
    orcs nick other peoples.
    Team Wood Elves

boyfights loves wood elves.

"Heaven forbid that under the Vail of military training we should subject our young men to the lust of our general" - Hanno to the Carthaginian senate on the future of Hannibal.

"Guard mode is back in Warhammer :)" - Darren_CA

"It's amazing how many mistakes your enemy will make in haste after seeing that he's outgunned" -The Organ King
  • GrimtalosGrimtalos Member Registered Users Posts: 414
    edited June 2015
    Seeing all those rivers makes me want them to include navy battles. Besieging those cities while Orc boats move up the river under fire from cannons would be awesome.
    I would like to see Dwarves getting bonus to defence such as deployables and more cannons on the walls.
    edited June 2015
    Yeah, I hope Dwarf Fortresses will be built mostly underground. You dont have to overcome walls, but take a fortified gatehouse that leads into a mountain. Similar to how Third Age TotalWar did it.

___

Btw, I hope city "assimilation" doesnt work like it did in Rome II. There, when a for example Barbarians took the city of Rome, it would be replaced with a puny hill fort. Did not like that. If I'm for example playing as Dwarves in TotalWar:Hammer and I fight to take back the ancient dwarven fortress of Kaz-Katal that was lost so long ago to a Goblin invasion, I want to feel like I actually take back a dwarven city.

I'm hoping for something like this.

gates-of-karak-eight-peaks.jpg

If the Orcish Horde, or the forces of Chaos, or the undead or who ever take an Empire of Dwarven city, I hope it doesnt just get replaced with a hill camp, or what ever. And the other way around. Dwarves taking an Orcish camp wont magically erect a mountain fortress in its place.

___EDIT____

Though, Orcs ofcourse could some impressive looking castles themselves.

2008-gate_to_karak_eight_peaks.jpg
    edited June 2015
    GrimTalos wrote: »
    Seeing all those rivers makes me want them to include navy battles. Besieging those cities while Orc boats move up the river under fire from cannons would be awesome.
    I would like to see Dwarves getting bonus to defence such as deployables and more cannons on the walls.

Maybe naval invasions could be made possible in future installments, even without actual sea battles? Like, putting your army into a transportfleet and attacking a harbour city MIGHT still be possible at somepoint, without adding navy battles as a whole?
    Dscn1874.jpg
    Dscn1886.jpg
    Dscn1889.jpg
  • SiWI#8629SiWI#8629 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 12,014
    edited June 2015
    I wonder if some of the units get the amphibious skill (usually one of the most unimportant in the TT), which could be dangerous for empire cities. Not that Empire cities are helpless. If you think catapults on a wall a hard, wait till you see hellblasters and hellrockets on empire walls.

The king of defence however should be the Dwarfs. Not only are all of they cities fortresses, but they army is also perfect for defence: while lacking mobility, it is tough, well armoured and stubborn as hell. The mobility lack should be pretty irrelevant. All the other thing are. Breaking through a line of ironbreakers which defending a gate will be a pain. It also helps that the Dwarfs (as well the empire) have good range units.
    Ratling_Guns.gif?t=1554385892
    edited June 2015
    Are there even any amphibious units beside Skinks?

I for one would be interessted if Spiders will actually be able to scale walls like in the TT. I fear no, since it sounds like a nightmare having cavalry units on walls without the unit collission and pathing just ******** itself. But a man can dream.

Warhammer%20Forest%20Goblin%20Spider%20Riders%20Boxed%20Set.jpg
  • DahvosDahvos Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 230
    edited June 2015
    I hope they make all the elector count state capitals true to lore. Or as a closest rendition as possible. like Altdorf, Middenheim, Talabecland, Nuln. Each has its own style of defenses and are really really historical sites where wars were won and lost. Would be Awesome if C.A. makes these cities really unique (because they mostly are). I just want to play seiges against the mighty cities of Nuln, Wolfenburg, Middenheim, and Talabheim (sits in a crater with walls on the rim and farms inside of it, impervious to starvation)
  • mightygloin#2446mightygloin#2446 Karaz-a-KarakRegistered Users Posts: 6,123
    Yes wow some wishful thinking right here in this post. The year is almost 2022 and sieges sre even worse than they were in M2. Don't come, stay in the past!

/strokes his forbidden rod
  • Itharus#3127Itharus#3127 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 16,391
    I'll take any improvements to sieges I can get...

I do miss the old 360 multi-layered well fortified castles covered in artillery with towers that actually had more than 2 archers in them, though.
  • LordCommander#3741LordCommander#3741 Registered Users Posts: 3,218

Don't come, stay in the past!

Don't necro threads, then.
    It's a beta.
  • caladbolgftw#3407caladbolgftw#3407 Registered Users Posts: 441
    There should be legendary siege battle and standard siege battle.

Standard is when the player's army attack an unimportant walled settlement/city and fight a generic siege battle in a generic siege map made for unimportant settlements.

Legendary siege battle is when the players army attack a settlement/city well known in the lore (aka Altdorf, Itza, Karaz-a-Karak, etc...). These siege battle map are special, well designed, made according to their established source material map from either the rulebook or roleplay game, and could essentially be like a boss fight. They may have special defenses or trademark strategical locations (giants operate canon of middenheim, Nuln's great bridge, Xlanhuapec's mist) that could give the player a unique experience, whether they defend the city or assault it.

The only problem would be if CA is willing to create these kinds of epic map, which can take a lot of money and work to accomplish. However, I have seen modders' done such a map and CA has already done Itza's quest battle (the one where Gor-rok and Nakai defend Itza from Luthor Harkon and his zombie pirates) where its map layout feels similar to a legendary siege battle.
This discussion has been closed.