Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

QUESTION: Quick Battle

Sir Isaac BrockSir Isaac Brock MemberPosts: 43Registered Users
edited July 2015 in Multiplayer
Hello fellows,

Sorry for the newbie questions :o

1. Is Quick Battle against another human being or the computer? I tried one battle and won quite easily, even though I am not very good! It never stated my opponents name, so is it AI?

I checked the internal encyclopedia, but not much information is available!

If you know where I can find more information on Quick Battles, please do not hesitate to provide it.

Thank you,

SIB :)
Post edited by Sir Isaac Brock on

Comments

• Blackjack69Blackjack69 Senior Member Posts: 277Registered Users
    edited July 2015
    Hello fellows,

Sorry for the newbie questions :o

1. Is Quick Battle against another human being or the computer? I tried one battle and won quite easily, even though I am not very good! It never stated my opponents name, so is it AI?

I checked the internal encyclopedia, but not much information is available!

If you know where I can find more information on Quick Battles, please do not hesitate to provide it.

Thank you,

SIB :)

M8 you won from another player gg
    Team Wood Elves
  • jonasneejonasnee Senior Member Posts: 1,737Registered Users
    edited July 2015
    quick battle pitch you up vs a human opponent, you can see their name in set up screen or during battle by looking in chat.
    put your actions where your mouth is.
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=TJpmII-kxuM
    Total war is best when it is kept simple and not overly complex
  • Sir Isaac BrockSir Isaac Brock Member Posts: 43Registered Users
    edited July 2015
    M8 you won from another player gg

Thanks, okay now I know! I tried to get a second game from someone but no one was around, I guess :mad: It would be nice if you could decide on the terrain and battle-size for a Quick Battle, like fort or city or village, etc OR is this possible?

By the way, what does M8 mean?

Have any of you tried the Custom Battle? Mine seems to allow me to play eight-armies one per CPU. I actually have a Quad-Core with eight-hyperthreads. QUESTION: If I hypothetically had a twenty-four core CPU with hyperthreading, could I play a Custom Battle with 48-armies:eek: ?? If so, that would be one heck of a battle map!! Any other information would be appreciated!

Thank you,

SIB
    edited July 2015
    Thanks, okay now I know! I tried to get a second game from someone but no one was around, I guess :mad: It would be nice if you could decide on the terrain and battle-size for a Quick Battle, like fort or city or village, etc OR is this possible?

By the way, what does M8 mean?

Have any of you tried the Custom Battle? Mine seems to allow me to play eight-armies one per CPU. I actually have a Quad-Core with eight-hyperthreads. QUESTION: If I hypothetically had a twenty-four core CPU with hyperthreading, could I play a Custom Battle with 48-armies:eek: ?? If so, that would be one heck of a battle map!! Any other information would be appreciated!

Thank you,

SIB
    haha, lol mate your CPU has nothing to do with AI opponents, at least it is not correlated in that way.

8 (4v4) is max however if i remember correctly the maximum number of soldiers is way higher than the player limit, somehwere around 30k i think i read somewhere.
    edited July 2015
    jonasnee wrote: »
    haha, lol mate your CPU has nothing to do with AI opponents, at least it is not correlated in that way.

8 (4v4) is max however if i remember correctly the maximum number of soldiers is way higher than the player limit, somehwere around 30k i think i read somewhere.

Are you sure about that? It does say CPU 1, CPU 2, etc at the top of the Custom Battle and it is have the same number of CPU's that I have got in my box.
    edited July 2015
    Are you sure about that? It does say CPU 1, CPU 2, etc at the top of the Custom Battle and it is have the same number of CPU's that I have got in my box.
    i have an I7 and my eperience would be the same as 1 with an I5 dual (given graphics would change, CPU simply stands for computer opponent, CPU (or compute unit) is hardware, those have nothing to do with each other, btw total war has always had 4 v 4.
  • MonkeeyoMonkeeyo Senior Member Posts: 854Registered Users
    edited July 2015
    CPU cores have nothing to do with the amount of players in the battle. Plus if you want to be able to play online and choose the battlefield and all those options go to multiplayer battle, then Host your game.
    Over the Alps perhaps!
    Team Athens
  • Pine89Pine89 Senior Member Posts: 580Registered Users
    edited July 2015
    quick battles are always against human opponents, and always come in a standardised format:

- there's a certain map pool from which the map gets randomly picked
    - fixed unit size
    - fixed weather
    - fixed funds

of course you get to choose the faction and the units you want to bring, but in quick battles you can never bring more than 1 army of 20 units. you can still play team battles in a quick battle format with a max of 8 players (4 vs 4), but each of the players can only bring 1 army and a max of 20 units.

the standardisation is there because quick battles results count towards your ranking on the leaderboard, so for those results to be comparable between the players they must be always obtained under certain conditions, otherwise players could always choose settings that put them in an advantagious position against their opponents. in this way some things are fixed, others are randomized, so no one (in theory) is able to make exploitative choices, so the leaderboard should be (in theory) more representative of how good a player is.

"m8" is an abbreviation for "mate", "gg" stands for "good game". :)

this just shows how sad the state of mp and how badly signalled is when new people don't even know they're playing it.
    edited July 2015
    Monkeeyoz wrote: »
    CPU cores have nothing to do with the amount of players in the battle. Plus if you want to be able to play online and choose the battlefield and all those options go to multiplayer battle, then Host your game.

Hi, if I setup all the conditions I want, how do I get opponent(s) to accept and play? Would be difficult to find players, no?

Thanks,

SIB
  • Pine89Pine89 Senior Member Posts: 580Registered Users
    edited July 2015
    Hi, if I setup all the conditions I want, how do I get opponent(s) to accept and play? Would be difficult to find players, no?

Thanks,

SIB

you either invite one of your friends from your steam friend list who also got the game, or you wait for someone to join your game. your game will be available to people to see from the moment you've clicked on "host game", you can also change settings after people have joined your game, untill everybody goes ready and the countdown begins.

make sure you don't have any password set up. sometimes you need to wait quite a while, other times you might get lucky and somebody will join immediatly, depending on the time of the day and settings you've chosen (some ridiculous settings combinations don't really attract people).

you can also join someone else's game instead and ask through the game chat if they want to agree on some settings you have in mind.