Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Dimwit Corner

13»

Comments

• Maeda_ToshiieMaeda_Toshiie Senior Member SingaporeRegistered Users Posts: 3,596
    edited April 2013
    Yeah, rubber bands degrade. Worse, the environment inside the chassis is higher than the exterior and heat isn't good for rubber.
    Total War Forums, the official forums of the Total War series:

Forum terms and conditions
    Technology Discussion Section
    How not to assemble a PC

Google-fu, the best skill in solving technical issues.

Faibo waipa!
  • SpoonskaSpoonska Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 158
    edited May 2013
    I have a couple.

When I was younger, and I was in that mindset of " Ain't nobody gonna tell me nothin" I blew a ton of money on parts when my PC broke down. I awoke to a PC that would turn on, but wouldn't boot into anything just a black screen. So in my infinite noobness I came to the conclusion that, " Ah ha, must be my mobo!". So I bought another mobo exchanged it out, and of course that didn't work. And again in my infinite noobness I said, "Well... if it's not the mobo, then certainly it's the CPU!" So, I bought a new CPU. You get the point by now, and I think I spent around $400 in parts before the guy at Mircocenter was like "Hey ******* ever thought of buying a new Power Supply?". Of course he was much nice than that, but he thought I was building a new computer with all the parts I was buying. I told him the issue, and that's how I learned that Power Supply is always the first thing you should probably check. I can't say this story was all bad because I essentially got a new computer out of the deal.

Other than that... The scariest moment I've had with my computer was when I first moved in with my wife (while we were dating). We had been living together for a month or two, when her A/C broke. It very well might have been the day Empire came out or Red Alert 3... I'm not sure... But, I just remember being so excited to play my new game when 30min in to it sparks/flames started flying out the back of my Power Supply. At that time because it was so hot in the apartment my tower was elevated off the ground near me with a fan blowing on it. So, it was about 3 or 4 feet from me. The horror on my face, it must of looked like I just saw a car wreck I'm sure.If you were there and told me I cried that day I would believe you.

edit: I was checking Wiki dates it was Empire, lol. March of 09. Red Alert 3 on iOS was released 2 weeks after that on the 23rd. Totally CA's fault (sarcasm).
    Link to my Twitch.tv Stream
    Link to my Youtube
    How far will you go for Rome ?
    Probably about 250-300 turns.
  • Ace_BlazerAce_Blazer Senior Member Toronto, CanadaRegistered Users Posts: 5,909
    edited June 2013
    @Spoonska, yowzers. Oh four! I mean five! I mean fire!

I once spilled instant noodles all over my 2 week old Dell laptop. This was the first computer I ever owned myself (2003?), and I was devastated. I had no idea what to do (ie. remove battery, maybe putting it in a bucket of rice, etc.), so I usually left it in my laptop bag on its side with the power cable in while the fans worked through the night. I think they turned on automatically even when the computer was off; maybe due to them detecting moisture if such a thing is possible. That probably ended up hurting it more than it helped.

It was never the same after that...random error messages popping up on start-up during the BIOS message, and the fans would never shut up through the 2 years I had it.
    My Rome 2 PC: Intel i5-4670, nVidia 760GTX, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, NZXT Vulcan mATX case
    Please view the Total War Forum: Terms and Conditions.
    Buttons the Kitten needs your help. Click here to save a kitten today.
  • AlJabberwockAlJabberwock Moderator USAModerators, Tech Moderators, Knights Posts: 7,701
    edited July 2013
    UH.. PC/Laptop fans that turn on because they sense moisture... probably this is NOT a feature... :cool:

Something that is running when it is supposed to be off is a short circuit due to the circuit being closed by something conducting the electric current (like ... uh, moisture). Sorry!

I have a story like this, but I am saving it for its own incredible full-length 'AlJabberwock is an idiot AND unlucky' thread... which I wil link here when I get a chance. It is both recent AND embarrassing! yay!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Every so often things happen that can’t be rationalized in a conventional way. People wanna know their government has a response. I am that response.”
    ― Kent Mansley (in "Iron Giant")

For most general problems, for which you have no idea of the culprit, your first port of call should be:
    https://support.sega.co.uk/hc/en-us/categories/200307381-Total-War-Support

If you are aware of a bug or a specific issue for which you know the cause, post in the support section for the specific title on our forums. ~Al

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
  • BorseBorse Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 115
    edited August 2013
    Excellent thread! It was a laugh reading through this thread.

I've had some interesting moments myself.

Quite a few years back I had a semi-old desktop that I wasn't really using because I had gotten a newer one and so I had basically given it away. I remember having it powered up and looking it over with the lucky winner of this not-so-shiny computer when I was asked what that red slider thingy on the back of the PSU was.

Of course, I had no idea what that red slider was as I had never even noticed it myself and with my figure-it-out-for-myself, not-gonna-take-no-****-from-a-manual attitude there was only one possible direction this encounter between me and this strange-looking, mysterious red slider could go.
    I confidently looked at my opponent, staring it straight in the red, thinking that it was probably just a useless lump of plastic. I was really gonna impress the world by showing how brave I was by demonstrating that this was just a useless feature.

I gave it a good poke.

Obviously, I nearly ******* myself when the thing exploded in a cloud of burnt-electrics smoke and I was feeling a right fool as the recipient of said computer was laughing in my face.

Also slightly funny, the computer that had replaced the one I killed above had a bad fan on the PSU. As a result it sounded like a jet engine when it roared to life when powered up. At that time I couldn't replace any of the parts in the computer and I was pretty much stuck with what I had.
    I've never been too careful, or patient, with electronics, and so my immediate reaction when it one day suddenly started to roar was to give the computer a good bashing with my fist. Right at the top where the power supply was. Interestingly, after giving it a good bashing the noise would stop. Sometimes for the duration of the session and sometimes just for a while. So my solution, whenever it started making noise, was to beat the **** out of my computer. And it worked.

I had that computer for years and it worked perfectly while I was happily banging away at it every time the fan made a slight buzz.
  • jimglotjimglot Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,023
    edited August 2013
    Yep, a computer is a lot like child, sometimes they just need a little thrashing to stay in line. j/k of course
    So what the heck was the red slider anywho?
    There are only two types of ships. Submarines and Targets!

"Even the bloody queen don't rate cocoa!"
    Exclaimed by a young British submariner riding Crevalle (SS 291) when offered a cup of cocoa by the crew
  • BorseBorse Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 115
    edited August 2013
    jimglot wrote: »
    Yep, a computer is a lot like child, sometimes they just need a little thrashing to stay in line. j/k of course
    So what the heck was the red slider anywho?

That switch, I now know, is a volt switch.

Definition: The power supply voltage switch is a small switch located on the back of the power supply. This small switch is used to set the input voltage to the power supply to either 110v/115v or 220v/230v.
    Setting the power supply voltage switch to the incorrect input voltage could damage the power supply and possibly other parts of your computer.

The correct voltage is determined by the country where the power supply will be used. Check the Foreign Electricity Guide by Voltage Valet for more information on what voltage to set your power supply voltage switch to.

Examples:
    "Since I live in the United States, the power supply voltage switch located on the back of my power supply should be set to 115 volts."

EDIT: I should perhaps have said switch and not slider, but I blame poor english education and communism for that.
  • Maeda_ToshiieMaeda_Toshiie Senior Member SingaporeRegistered Users Posts: 3,596
    edited August 2013
    Most modern PSUs with Active PFC don't have such switches, which means no room for such mistakes. In fact virtually all high end PSUs have Active PFC.

How not to assemble a PC

Faibo waipa!
  • AlJabberwockAlJabberwock Moderator USAModerators, Tech Moderators, Knights Posts: 7,701
    edited August 2013
    True, but their owners STILL don't... LOL
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Every so often things happen that can’t be rationalized in a conventional way. People wanna know their government has a response. I am that response.”

For most general problems, for which you have no idea of the culprit, your first port of call should be:

If you are aware of a bug or a specific issue for which you know the cause, post in the support section for the specific title on our forums. ~Al

• MesserMesser Member Registered Users Posts: 91
    edited August 2013
    My "moment" happened while I was building my new Haswell rig about a month ago. I figured I was going to be smart and test the MB, CPU, and RAM before sticking it all in the case to make sure they were not the culprits if I ran into problems booting later on. I opened the boxes, plugged everything into the MB while it was on the cardboard it came in. Hooked up the monitor and an old PSU I had sitting around, from my Q6600 rig of yore, everything worked!

Excellent time to have a few beers and start the install. Got everything together, hit the power button and no POST. After a few hours of swapping components with ones from the computer i was replacing, and more beers, I realized I hadn't plugged in the 24pin ATX power cable :mad:

Plugged it in and it worked. Bah I should have realized when there were not beeps but I thought I just didn't have a speaker on the MB or something haha.
    edited August 2013
    I have forgotten to plug in PCI-E power connector to the video card and spent a few minutes wondering what went wrong...

The worse one was when I forgot to plug in the CPU fan...

How not to assemble a PC

Faibo waipa!
  • Ace_BlazerAce_Blazer Senior Member Toronto, CanadaRegistered Users Posts: 5,909
    edited August 2013
    I have forgotten to plug in PCI-E power connector to the video card and spent a few minutes wondering what went wrong...

The worse one was when I forgot to plug in the CPU fan...
    What a great segway for my nitwit moment! So to set the stage I've hooked everything up except the fan headers with the help of Al on the CPU install and then Hardwaremaster on the video card install the next day.

So there I am on Skype with Al on a video call last night. I press the start button for the first time to see if my PC posts..."please turn on power to this PCIE gfx card". Well now what could that be? Hunched over my case sitting on the wooden floor I peer into the bowels of my case.
    "Oh! One of the 8-pin molex connectors only had 6 holes connected!" Well it was kind of dark. This was for my LED and PWR control connections.

Turn it on and same error. Al goes rambling through possible problems including missed connections, or defective hardware. Perhaps we need to get this returned to Newegg ASAP before my 30-days?

"Oh!!! My hard drives aren't fully connected!" I took out a SATA from the optical drive and the power from the SSD to give myself room to thread the fan headers. "Well that might work!" Al exclaims.

Try again same error. Huh...I try different things like trying to use a different DVI port, using the motherboard DVI port (weirdly didn't work), and then finally removing and reinserting the videos card. Nothing.

"Are you sure you have your 8-pin power connectors into your card?" Al says.
    "Yep, its the one I put the 6+2".
    "Right well maybe there are other connectors on the other side of the card."
    "There is the 6-pin socket right beside it."
    "Wait what?"
    "Yea, but that's not supposed to be connected right? Its the 6 pin socket or the 8 pin."
    *insert Al's facepalm face here*
    "No my friend", Al cries with exasperation, "you need to have them all connected, I thought HWM said you did that yesterday!!!!"
    "Huh so that's what he meant"

It took maybe 30 minutes for me to figure out that I needed to connect two auxiliary PSU cords to the video card!!!!!! Well if it was worded like that I would have figured that out sooner!!!

After that everything worked. I wept for joy and celebrated by turning on my orange LEDs. HWM joined us on voice chat ("I told Ace like a million times to plug them all in!!!") and we all had a good laugh about this idiocy while I installed Windows (SSDs are delicious!). When I reached my desktop HWM recommended I break a 50 year old cognac over the case. Good times.
    My Rome 2 PC: Intel i5-4670, nVidia 760GTX, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, NZXT Vulcan mATX case
    Please view the Total War Forum: Terms and Conditions.
    Buttons the Kitten needs your help. Click here to save a kitten today.
    edited August 2013
    We might want to make this thread a required read for new system builders...

How not to assemble a PC

Faibo waipa!
  • jimglotjimglot Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,023
    edited August 2013
    Small one on my part but it still counts. When i got all the parts from my sons build i was happy that i got him a cheap harddrive to get him up and running. So we go to do the build, mount the drive and he tells me that data cable doesn't fit. So i look in, and low and behold its ide, and his board doesn't have the interface for it. lol Good thing i was planning on giving him one of my larger drive anyways. I was so happy about the price i never even looked at the spec's when i picked it up from microcenter. duh
    There are only two types of ships. Submarines and Targets!

"Even the bloody queen don't rate cocoa!"
    Exclaimed by a young British submariner riding Crevalle (SS 291) when offered a cup of cocoa by the crew
  • dragonlightdragonlight Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,840
    edited August 2013
    I onced shipped my old PC because I wanted to move one part from it to my new PC. Long story short my PC arrived like you see in the cartons loll. I should told the people that ship it that its a PC !
    "Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted by nature to bear."

"Festina lente" (Make haste slowly)

My mini beast PC :

AMD FX 6120 6 core 3.5 Ghz
    10gb Ram
    EVGA GeForce GTX 770 SC
    edited August 2013
    Great stories... and Maeda, I wish we could get them to read the RULES, let alone these helpful cautionary tales... lol !

• Daniel_moDaniel_mo Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 884
    edited August 2013
    This might sound like a funny problem. I live in a 30 year old house. I think a redneck wired my house because i ran into a problem with my battery backup with my wall outlet is linked to a ceiling fan that was backwards wired up. My mother board one of the caps caught on fire. Lucky i was in the room when it happen. But my battery backup caught the faulty outlet after the fact my computer was starting to cook. If you decide to build a 16k dream machine and don't test you're outlet you might be mad if a faulty outlet toasted 16k up into smoke. So test your outlets if you are planing to build a high end PC.
    edited November 2013
    Jeebus... I guess so, also a good reason to use a power strip with appropriate failsafes - I have had a few bad issues although mine were caused BY the PC cooking the house-sockets and circuits and the powerstrip interrupt didn't pick it up going OUT to the house circuitry... Result, blowing the breaker out in the room where practically all the computer and networking equipment is... repeatedly...
    (Facepalm).

Of course this is part of a far longer story...

• Tyer032392Tyer032392 Senior Member FloridaRegistered Users Posts: 4,756
    edited February 2015
    Sorry for the necro, but I just came across one as well.

I am in a Facebook group with several other buddies, and one of them built a dedicated gaming rig. Well, they initially bought one, but ended up having to trade a few parts out, so here are his specs, and please try to not laugh.

PSU: Powersupplier 450w
    CPU: Intel Core I-7 3770k
    Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16gig
    GPU: NVidia GTX 750Ti

So, after a week or so, his computer could not turn on, and asked what might be up, and I mentioned something about his PSU being weak. Haven't heard back yet.
    "All it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing. "
  • EaglePhoenixEaglePhoenix Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,268
    edited February 2015
    My colleague had this old blueberry phone, about time he got a new one. At least, so I thought - even though he's not much in for change.
    So, after some convincing - he asked the company for a new one and got this Galaxy S-something. Finally.

However, at first glance, it appeared it was not possible to copy your contacts like that. Since I'm (supposedly) at least a little techy, I figured: I'll fix that for ya.
    So, inbetween the officehours in - I took a quick ride to home to dabble a bit behind my pc for blueberry-software (can't install downloaded stuff at work due to administrator rights).
    In all my hurry, I just randomly clicked some download link and - of course - say hello shortcut-virus!

Since my OS is on my SSD and all my games, etc on my HDD (apart from RT2 and couple videos), I thought: let's just wipe the SSD with an OS re-install. Of couse, I could've just kicked out the virus and fix all my shortcuts and all that jazz.

But why bother? It would probably take hours, whilst a clean install is rather quick and easy. Right?

Guess not.

Halfway the install - something interrupted or got corrupted and the pc restarted. Result: no SSD to be found anymore. BSD file missing etc.
    Took me 1.5 days to have my pc even _recognize_ an HDD, let alone an SSD.
    Had to whipe my SSD clean through command prompt.

OF COURSE, with all the tinkering in command prompt, I accidently used the wrong storage drive number and as a result, I did not only whipe my SSD clean - but also had my full HDD completely empty.
    Why did I not unplug my HDD?
    Why did I not just get rid of the virus?
    Why did I tell my colleague to get a new phone or, better yet, that I could fix it for him??

I still cry at night.
    Team Empire!..and also tiny lil bit VC - but shhh
  • Rath_DarkbladeRath_Darkblade Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,071
    edited April 2015
    Everyone here might appreciate this: Computer Stupidities. :)
    "There is nothing wrong with nepotism, provided you keep it all in the family."
    --Winston Churchill
    edited July 2015
    My colleague had this old blueberry phone, about time he got a new one. At least, so I thought - even though he's not much in for change.
    So, after some convincing - he asked the company for a new one and got this Galaxy S-something. Finally.

However, at first glance, it appeared it was not possible to copy your contacts like that. Since I'm (supposedly) at least a little techy, I figured: I'll fix that for ya.
    So, inbetween the officehours in - I took a quick ride to home to dabble a bit behind my pc for blueberry-software (can't install downloaded stuff at work due to administrator rights).
    In all my hurry, I just randomly clicked some download link and - of course - say hello shortcut-virus!

Since my OS is on my SSD and all my games, etc on my HDD (apart from RT2 and couple videos), I thought: let's just wipe the SSD with an OS re-install. Of couse, I could've just kicked out the virus and fix all my shortcuts and all that jazz.

But why bother? It would probably take hours, whilst a clean install is rather quick and easy. Right?

Guess not.

Halfway the install - something interrupted or got corrupted and the pc restarted. Result: no SSD to be found anymore. BSD file missing etc.
    Took me 1.5 days to have my pc even _recognize_ an HDD, let alone an SSD.
    Had to whipe my SSD clean through command prompt.

OF COURSE, with all the tinkering in command prompt, I accidently used the wrong storage drive number and as a result, I did not only whipe my SSD clean - but also had my full HDD completely empty.
    Why did I not unplug my HDD?
    Why did I not just get rid of the virus?
    Why did I tell my colleague to get a new phone or, better yet, that I could fix it for him??

I still cry at night.

It is not impossible to recover files after a reformat (or deleted), as long as no new files have been written over the deleted sections. This is especially true since the default "format" used in the Win7 installer is a "quick format" which involves writing a new boot sector and FAT, without writing zeros over the entire disk (which takes a long time). The newly installed copy of windows will overwrite some parts of the drive, which will make recovery of those parts nearly impossible (without very sophisticated forensic tools and just maybe recoverable). However, the rest of the empty unwritten over parts of the drive can be recovered with some commercial (or perhaps even some free) tools. Of course, there are also data recovery services, but those will cost money. This is assuming that your drive did not suffer any physical failure.

How not to assemble a PC

Faibo waipa!
13»