Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

[Speculation] Dogs of War!

OneahOneah Senior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 120
edited December 2015 in General Discussion
I really hope that mercenary groups are a big part of playing some factions. The Dogs of War have a lot of character and could be an interesting way of showing interesting mechanics in unique type of units.

You got the Pirazzo's Lost Legion, guys who were poor and wanted richness and became famous for fighting and surviving in harsh environments. They even helped the Lizardmen fighting the undead. So they could have some kind bonus when fighting in some scenarios.

There's The Birdmen of Catrazza, guys who strap themselves in a bird suit and fly over the battlefield shooting with a crossbow.

Also a great way to introduce Ogres which are also famous for doing a lot of mercenary work.

Just check out this wiki: http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Dogs_of_War

Would be really interested to know if CA has any plans for this subject.

(note: Somebody less lazy than I could elaborate more about the Dogs of War for those who are not aware of who they are! :p)
Post edited by Oneah on

Comments

• ThanquolThanquol Senior Member SkavenblightRegistered Users Posts: 2,019
    edited December 2015
    Got a feeling someone recently checked out the speculation thread :p
    "Fear me for I am Grey Seer Thanqol, Greatest TWW player in all of Skavendom."

Team Skaven

Which team are you? Post in your signature

Team Empire Team Bretonnia Team Kislev Team Dwarf Team Chaos Dwarf Team High Elves
    Team Dark Elves
    Team Wood Elves Team Warriors of Chaos Team Daemons of Chaos
    Team Beastmen
    Team Vampire Counts Team Tomb Kings Team Orcs and Goblins
    Team Ogre Kingdoms
    Team Lizardmen Team Skaven

• IndyprideIndypride Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,741
    edited December 2015
    Asarnil the Dragonlord. That is all
  • ladymissfitladymissfit Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,211
    edited December 2015
    Tichi Huichi's raiders would be awesome (and hilarious) especially if they weaved in the backstory of them joining an army typically ment they would lose their next fight only for the raiders to join the winners.
    Chaos lords should be women

Army painter plox
    edited December 2015
    If they were to do the many well known mercinary companys it would have to be a MAJOR expansion/DLC much like if CA choose to add naval battles. This is due in large to how many units they would have to create from scratch.

Team Skaven

Team Empire Team Bretonnia Team Kislev Team Dwarf Team Chaos Dwarf Team High Elves
    Team Dark Elves
    Team Beastmen
    Team Ogre Kingdoms

• IchonIchon Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 5,796
    edited December 2015
    If they were to do the many well known mercinary companys it would have to be a MAJOR expansion/DLC much like if CA choose to add naval battles. This is due in large to how many units they would have to create from scratch.

It would be basically adding a new race as there are 20-30 units in Dogs of War so I'm not sure that is a 'major' expansion especially as only a couple of the units are quite difficult to model- majority are varieties of humans.
    YouTube, it takes over your mind and guides you to strange places like tutorials on how to talk to a giraffe.
  • seienchinseienchin Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,572
    edited December 2015
    My favorites are the slayer pirates which have such a horrible boose smell that enemy units suffer a penalty to hit AND friendly units wont stay close to them XD
    Good old 5th edition stuff!
  • ZonenpennerZonenpenner Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 27
    edited December 2015
    I think that later there will be a single Dogs of War Faction including Estalia, Tilea and the Borderprinces with
    important Condottiere Princes as legendary lords and the most important mercenary regiments in the rooster.

Special campaign mechanisms could allow this faction to take jobs from other factions.
  • SetrusSetrus Senior Member SwedenRegistered Users Posts: 18,836
    edited December 2015
    Those nations are more traders than mercenaries, there's a difference between their fighting men and the nation, after all. :)

That said, Tilea would be VERY interesting to play since they have no standing army and are entirely reliant on mercenaries when wanting to attack or having to defend... :o
    Don't worry.
  • ZonenpennerZonenpenner Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 27
    edited December 2015
    Yes, these realms and states are marcantile societies, leaded by kings, princes, signores or councils.
    Some of these leaders are condottiere - mercantile thinking mercenary leaders.
    And how are the races of Warhammer represented in TW? They are representet by legendary lords!
    The legandary lords of the DoW-Faction could be some famous condottiere, trying to make money by two
    ways at the same time: Loaning Armys to other factions AND establishing stable realms under their rule in
    the southern reagions of the old world where they have their orgins.

A campaign could start with your legendary lord having no own regions, but a supporting city state, where you can rest.
    First he have to rise a greater army and make money doing mercenary things. Later you could buy council members of your home
    city state, overthrow the old signore and become prince for your own. And so on....

I think tis would be a interesting campaign mechanism, that would allow to represent
    the DoW AND Tilea, Estalia and the Border Princes in one "race".
  • RifugioRifugio Member Registered Users Posts: 1,289
    edited December 2015
    Yes, these realms and states are marcantile societies, leaded by kings, princes, signores or councils.
    Some of these leaders are condottiere - mercantile thinking mercenary leaders.
    And how are the races of Warhammer represented in TW? They are representet by legendary lords!
    The legandary lords of the DoW-Faction could be some famous condottiere, trying to make money by two
    ways at the same time: Loaning Armys to other factions AND establishing stable realms under their rule in
    the southern reagions of the old world where they have their orgins.

A campaign could start with your legendary lord having no own regions, but a supporting city state, where you can rest.
    First he have to rise a greater army and make money doing mercenary things. Later you could buy council members of your home
    city state, overthrow the old signore and become prince for your own. And so on....

I think tis would be a interesting campaign mechanism, that would allow to represent
    the DoW AND Tilea, Estalia and the Border Princes in one "race".

HEP raised something similar a while back which may be worth a revisit if you are interested (quote is rather shortened)
    hep wrote: »
    What would everyone think of a DLC mercenary rpg campaign, in the style of shadow of the horned rat/dark omen?

You’re the leader of single mercenary army. You own no land. You start small and make money by completing missions/quests set by race leaders, characters, cities and towns in an rpg style....

http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/156512-Mercenary-Campaign?p=1385956&viewfull=1#post1385956
  • Commissar_GCommissar_G Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 15,446
    edited December 2015
    I must say that idea of Hep's does sound fun. But perhaps not really suited to a Total War game?
    MarcusLivius: You are indeed a lord of entitlement.
    edited December 2015
    As a focused campaign it could work well - the main issue being how scripted you would need to make things, and whether there would be a big enough market for it. It would need to be much less of a sandbox compared to traditional TW games and many players may not go for that idea. We will see what kind of reception the big scripted quests get following release as that may be a good indicator.
  • ZalgoZalgo Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 244
    edited December 2015
  • ElfgoreElfgore Member Registered Users Posts: 87
    edited December 2015
    I'd like to see Dogs of War start off as simple recruitable mercenaries for main factions. But it would be pretty cool in like DLC or something, of course adding new units to their roster, to make them a playable faction for Tilea.
    Team Ogre Kingdoms 4 lyfe
    edited December 2015
    Definitely, having the Dogs of war companies available for recruitment to individual armies could offer a great deal of additional flavour and variety in the army lists. Perhaps a random element too depending on availability of the companies.
  • Karnil_Vark_KhaitanKarnil_Vark_Khaitan Member Registered Users Posts: 424
    edited December 2015
    Meeehhh

I just hope all mercs are going to be faction ruled.

As in Empire can't recruit chaos mercs and so on, but could recruit dorfs units.
  • CrajohCrajoh Member Registered Users Posts: 2,745
    The more I read the Warhammer novels the more I am looking forward to Mercs they should nicely round out the rosters. Even the VC had mercs in one of the novels.

Cheers
    Live your life and try to do no harm.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." Evelyn Beatrice Hall
  • bingbangbongbingbangbong Member Registered Users Posts: 580
    Haven't they already stated mercs are out for this game? Instead every faction has a technique for recruiting outside of their territory.

Or is there something i missed?
    Mercs seem to be a big part of the novels. I hope they are in. Where did they say that they are out of the game?
    Cheers

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." Evelyn Beatrice Hall
  • SiWISiWI Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 11,998
    CraJoh said:

Mercs seem to be a big part of the novels. I hope they are in. Where did they say that they are out of the game?
    Cheers

I think in the live stream they said it, also the 8th edtion of Warhammer didn't have them as playable armybook or units and they did stay pretty close to it till now.

Now of course that doesn't mean that they would never appear in the game as DlC, but it makes it a bit less likely.
    Ratling_Guns.gif?t=1554385892
  • DahvosDahvos Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 230
    they did state in the dev stream that there won't be mercenaries. Hopefully that changes eventually with either dlc or the other two stand alone games.
    SiWi, Dahvos, Thanks for the info. I guess I have to keep hoping for Merc DLC. Cheers

• bennymclbennymcl Senior Member Montreal, CanadaRegistered Users Posts: 2,797
    I've been trying to say just how much I want these guys all over the forum whenever I get the chance haha
  • m1acca1551m1acca1551 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 11
    Perhaps Morgan Bernhardt and the Grudgbringers from Shadow of the Horned Rat and Dark Omen...

Would be an awesome trip down memory lane and a nod to the very first WFB computer games.
    If the second game does go south and to the east with a little overlap it would be a good time to add a mercanaries DLC as the Ogre Kingdoms and Tilea would be present on this map and it would be a simple matter of taking a few core units (mostly from the Tilea roster as you can't play as them) and making them recruitable. If CA had the time and resources they could add units from some of the famed regiments that come from regions on this map. If you own the first game and this DLC the Merc units would become available in the first/combined game too.

Team Skaven

Team Dark Elves
    Team Beastmen
    Team Ogre Kingdoms

edited April 2016
    With Units of renoun mentioned do you think CA will be doing some of the literal ones from the dogs of war roster, tieing them to an apropriete faction.

Team Skaven

Team Dark Elves
    Team Beastmen
    Team Ogre Kingdoms

• CanuoveaCanuovea Registered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 15,839

With Units of renoun mentioned do you think CA will be doing some of the literal ones from the dogs of war roster, tieing them to an apropriete faction.

I came here just to say that. Why does that rat beat me to everything?! Sneaky sneak!

Um... but yeah. Some of the Dogs of War are probably going to make it in as Regiments of Renown in the new DLC stuff. So... you've got that Orc bunch with the crossbows for the Orcs. You know, for instance. Might help flesh out the Non-Empire races who, well, don't have quite as many Regiments of Renown.
    -Forum Terms and Conditions: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
    -New Rules: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/287645/new-forum-rules#latest
    -Rules FAQ: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/287650/total-war-forum-faq#latest
    -Using all caps is the equivalent of shouting. Please don't.
    -5.7 Summon a moderator if someone seems to be out of line, or use the report button. Do NOT become another party to misbehaviour
  • CyronCyron Registered Users Posts: 1,113
    Would be cool if they added Merc units in the DLC stuff but don't think so because of what they've said. Doesn't mean they wouldn't add them as a DLC for the next expansion however.
  • CanuoveaCanuovea Registered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 15,839
    Cyron said:

Would be cool if they added Merc units in the DLC stuff but don't think so because of what they've said. Doesn't mean they wouldn't add them as a DLC for the next expansion however.

What I mean is that they won't add them as mercs, but as actual faction units.
    -Forum Terms and Conditions: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
    -New Rules: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/287645/new-forum-rules#latest
    -Rules FAQ: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/287650/total-war-forum-faq#latest
    -Using all caps is the equivalent of shouting. Please don't.
    -5.7 Summon a moderator if someone seems to be out of line, or use the report button. Do NOT become another party to misbehaviour
  • CyronCyron Registered Users Posts: 1,113
    Canuovea said:

Cyron said:

What I mean is that they won't add them as mercs, but as actual faction units.
    Could be, but how would that work out? Seems many mercs I've read about were employed by the Empire but then I have read very little about them. Not that I mind Empire getting more alternatives because you could end up with 4 armies when playing them that had totally unique setups or more.

I added one Ogre merc unit in the thread but they listed as being very partial to that region specifically, even hired themselves out from that region not to that region.
This discussion has been closed.