Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Upgrading System to run STW2 on ultra

CizaCiza Junior MemberPosts: 6Registered Users
edited March 2011 in Technology
hi guys,

I've got Napoleon total war running on my pc at an average FPS of around 17-30.
(full battle going and zoomed in around 17-20.)
Settings are all medium- high with a screen res. of 1680x1050.
I'd like to try and run it at ultra, my question was what will i have to do/upgrade to get this game running smooth? my PC specs:
-Hp pavilion i7 920 @ 2.67 Ghz
-ATI Radeon 4650 HD 1 gb (latest drivers installed)
-Windows 7 64 bit
-6 GB memory
-Realtek audio

I think the bottleneck is the video card here, but i'm not sure?
All advice appreciated!
Post edited by Ciza on

Comments

• IscaranIscaran Tech-Hero. Posts: 4,229Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    graphics card.

Ultra settings requires a high-end graphics card.

Upgrading the graphics card from a 4650 though might require an upgrade of your PSU as well as the power output of the system will raise by 150-250W.

Check out http://forums.totalwar.com/forumdisplay.php/33-Technology-Discussion for system builds and generic discussion about computers for more info.
    Perhaps it would also be better if I moved your topic there if you wish ?
    Iscaran

Hero.

If you need help with a support request on these boards please read this and follow the instructions.
  • CizaCiza Junior Member Posts: 6Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    Yep thats what i thought. any advice on what i'll have to do to upgrade the PSU? You can move my post to the technical forum, sorry for wrong post!
    edited March 2011
    Moved as requested.
    Iscaran

Hero.

If you need help with a support request on these boards please read this and follow the instructions.
  • AlJabberwockAlJabberwock Moderator USAPosts: 7,729Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights
    edited March 2011
    You have two questions to ask yourself:
    what is your budget for a graphics card, and what do you have for a PSU presently. The first one is a cash amount, or no limit... ;) and the second one you pretty much have to open up your case so we can see the information on the side of the PCU, unless you KNOW what it is or can read the maker and model designation... Maybe you won't need a new PSU at all, but we need to KNOW.

Give us those two clues, and we can go forward! :)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Every so often things happen that can’t be rationalized in a conventional way. People wanna know their government has a response. I am that response.”
    ― Kent Mansley (in "Iron Giant")

For most general problems, for which you have no idea of the culprit, your first port of call should be:
    https://support.sega.co.uk/hc/en-us/categories/200307381-Total-War-Support

If you are aware of a bug or a specific issue for which you know the cause, post in the support section for the specific title on our forums. ~Al

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
    edited March 2011
    Ok i've opened up my machine and this is what i could find about the power supply.
    The label says Delta electronics Model DPS-460 DB A. maximum power is 460W.

Hope im giving you the right information here, im not the real expert on these things! ;)
    I dont have a real budget limit, dont want to go over the top tho.
    im looking for something that is going to handle running shogun2 and napoleon at the higher settings.(and other games ofcourse) Thanks for the help so far!
    edited March 2011
    STW2 at the higher settings (ultra and the likes) starts with either a GTX570 or a HD6950 and anything above that...IMO judging from the demo performance so far. Even when running only a resolution like 1680x1050. *Maybe* because of the "low" resolution a slower card with less VRAM might be sufficient so perhaps you could peek on something like HD6850/70 or GTX560 or HD6950 1GB...
    Iscaran

Hero.

edited March 2011
    Yep those are pretty nice cards i guess. Do you think i need to upgrade my PSU aswell?
    Btw, can i put just about any video card in my machine, like, do they all "fit"?
  • FallschrimjagarFallschrimjagar Member Posts: 74Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    What About The ATI Saphire Hd 5770 Flex I Was Recommended That one When I went To Upgrade For S2?
    ITs 140$ & Only needs 450 Power. but i got 600 just to be sure.
    Never surrender, to you death or victory must be a point of Honour.

[X_x]
  • AlJabberwockAlJabberwock Moderator USAPosts: 7,729Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights
    edited March 2011
    @Ciza
    Iscaran is right and I pretty much have to agree. Anything less than those cards and you are starting to turn some things down to high or even medium or off to keep your frame rate up for some aspects of game play.

About your CPU
    Your CPU is a bit slow at stock, but with it you get an automatic turbo up to 2.93 (without having to overclock) if the CPU is facing significant demand. While not blinding speed, that should be adequate because of another feature we expect to be supported, which is multicore support, and hyperthreading (hyperthreading is the ability of some intel cpus to split their physical cores into two logical cores each, hence making effectively 8 seperate thread run at once). That and 6 gigs of ram on a triple channel board is more than sufficient to run well IFF you have the right horse in the graphic card seat! :) Relax dude, I have that same CPU, you just need a card!
    On a Graphic card fitting...
    YOu have a premade case from HP... That means we dunno what they did with scoops, braces, fans and whatnot that they may have put in the way of where our card may need to go. First you should get a look at what the case looks like around the area a prospective card would have to go. Nect figure out how much distance you have between the inside back of the case, where the connections go out, and the backside of the harddrive cages where the harddrives go ... that gives you the length. Next you need to see how high you can go from the motherboard to the side of the case that you openeed up to look inside. If there are any scoops, fans, or tall buildings (;)), you will need to be sure you can either remove them or get around them somehow based on the heith of the card you are looking at. Just as a warning, Iscaran didn't pick out any dwarves for you, so hope you're case isn't the Evil Queen!

@fall,
    The 5770 is a mor ebudget minded card, and will play the game but more in the range of medium with resolutions in the 1680x1050 range.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Every so often things happen that can’t be rationalized in a conventional way. People wanna know their government has a response. I am that response.”

For most general problems, for which you have no idea of the culprit, your first port of call should be:

If you are aware of a bug or a specific issue for which you know the cause, post in the support section for the specific title on our forums. ~Al

edited March 2011
    Right so i've done a little thinking and this is what i came up with.
    Im considering to buy a ASUS EAH6850 (link)
    I think my 460W is too low, so im also considering buying a new power supply, a Cooler Master GX RS-650.
    is it necessary? (link)
    So what do you guys think? Good deal? Also checked inside the case, still looks pretty empty in there so i think fitting the stuff wont be a problem! Thanks for the help so far.
  • DarkSideHomeDarkSideHome Senior Member Posts: 1,549Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    A 6950 is exponentially better especially when DX11 patch comes out. A 6850 is a pretty damm good card and it might be enough at your resolution.

For a 6850 a 600W PSU is more than enough. The difference of 50W between 600W and 650 costs roughly 20$. Don't go for Cooler Master though, Corsair series is of higher quality and will last longer.
    edited March 2011
    Alright thanks for the tip! I went for a Corsair 600W instead, which actually is cheaper indeed. Now just waiting for the order to arrive at the doorstep! :cool:
    So i've done a little bit of researching, and i heard there is a seperate cable from the video card to the power supply. On my old 4650 this isnt the case, but i guess this isnt hard to do? Can anyone give me some more info on this?
  • Maeda_ToshiieMaeda_Toshiie Senior Member SingaporePosts: 3,601Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    Your new PSU would have the necessary 6pin cable(s) (typically labelled PCI-E).
    Total War Forums, the official forums of the Total War series:

Forum terms and conditions
    Technology Discussion Section
    How not to assemble a PC

Google-fu, the best skill in solving technical issues.

Faibo waipa!
  • SatchSatch Senior Member Posts: 267Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    @ Iscaran, i got i7 processor 900w psu and GTX 480 and it runs perfectly all on ultra settings, only drop in fps is when i zoom in on big battles. even the 460 could probably handle full settings perfectly well.
    - SatcH

(\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.
  • Maeda_ToshiieMaeda_Toshiie Senior Member SingaporePosts: 3,601Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    Satch wrote: »
    @ Iscaran, i got i7 processor 900w psu and GTX 480 and it runs perfectly all on ultra settings, only drop in fps is when i zoom in on big battles. even the 460 could probably handle full settings perfectly well.

Screen resolution matters as well.
    Total War Forums, the official forums of the Total War series:

Forum terms and conditions
    Technology Discussion Section
    How not to assemble a PC

Google-fu, the best skill in solving technical issues.

Faibo waipa!
    edited March 2011
    Screen resolution matters as well.
    Quite. Once you hit 1920 x 1200 and beyond you will see increasing demands on vram, bandwidth and gross computational capacity as resolution continues to increase...

As will additional settings and demands when DX11 is available. Full settings when the Dx Patch comes out will be something entirely different and include the ability to probably run twin 580s into the dirt let alone any lesser card pair, especially as you exceed the 1920x1200 demarcation. We are running ONE 580 pretty hot on 3D stereovision, and expect we will need a second one when the DX11 patch arrives, assuming the beta 267.84 drivers are effective.
    So i've done a little bit of researching, and i heard there is a seperate cable from the video card to the power supply. On my old 4650 this isnt the case, but i guess this isnt hard to do? Can anyone give me some more info on this?

A Corsair 600W (and indeed most PSUs in that range or above) will come with a couple of PCIe auxlliairy cables. They will be labelled as Maeda stated and probably be 6 pins with a 2-pin add on flapping in the breeze... Its really just a matter of plugging them in without breaking anything. Breaking something would really require some extraordiary effort, and even I can't really say I ever have in nearly two hundred builds now...