Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Sebidee's Laocra Gael - Ebdani Unit Roster Expansion

SebideeSebidee Senior MemberPosts: 3,801Registered Users
Sebidee's Laocra Gael

Steam Link: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=625948954

Hi guys, here's my latest unit mod, this time for the Ebdani, Total War Attila's Irish faction. Laocra Gael means Gaelic heros/soldiers and this is exactly what this mod adds.

By the late 4th century the Roman Empire was failing and massive raids in Britain were undertaken by the various Irish tribes. Roman troops were being withdrawn from Britain for the last time, leaving it vulnerable. Ambitious tribes are eager to carve out kingdoms in Britain and beyond!

This mod adds 15 land units and 4 naval units to the Ebdani roster. The land units are added to every part of the roster with melee units, ranged units and cavalry which appear in the early, mid and late game. The naval units are late game elites, feared Scotti pirates. All units are balanced and battle tested and many upgrade with technology so they are fully integrated into the campaign. They come with hand made unit cards that are near indistinguishable from the vanilla icons. All units are historically accurate and are authentically named, made with the help of Philip O'Hayda who is doing Celtic studies in a university here in Ireland. As an Irish man myself I loved making this mod. The Irish finally have varied and interesting roster in total war!

The full unit list and recruitment guide is on the mod page.

I hope you like the mod, please rate and leave a comment if you do :)

- Sebidee

Comments

• Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Posts: 21,355Registered Users
    edited February 2016
    Interesting, I'm also currently working on revising the Eblanian/Ebdanians, although my idea is for them to become a bastion of Latin Christianity and going into a more "civilised" direction with more uniformed and armored mock-Roman soldiers. After all, Saint Patrick was active on the island at that time.
    In return I'm planning on making the Picts more "traditional".

I just got the variant editor to actually work for me, it somehow used to crash all the time for some reason whenever I loaded a uniform. All I'm now trying to figure out is how to apply custom decals.

• SebideeSebidee Senior Member Posts: 3,801Registered Users
    I find it can be a lot easier to work with variants manually either in PFM or with notepad ++. I use the variant editor to make the variant in the first place and then tweak it the other way.

Saint Patrick didn't go to Ireland until the 430s which is 40 years after the start of the campaign so paganism would have been predominant in Ireland at the time. That's why I put in pagan units, but they are recruited from religious buildings so If you convert you lose them.
  • Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Posts: 21,355Registered Users
    My argument is that the game presents a condensed timeline anyway since it not only has Attila becoming active much earlier but also contains some medieval anachronisms like the Gallowglasses, so bringing in some later developments is fine with me. It's also why I added Valentinian, Flavius Constantius, Galla Placidia, Theodosious II and Aelia Pulcheria to the Roman family trees, albeit most of them as children or babies.

I used religious buildings for recruitment too, they also create garrisons, albeit weak ones.

However, for some reason I can't add any competing religions to Eblana and so the region has to start 100% Christian which annoys me.