Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

SolvedLauncher not launching possible solution

CalcographerCalcographer Posts: 3Registered Users
edited May 2016 in Crashes
Heyo,

I signed up to share this, as I know many others are still having an issue with the game not launching.

Give this a try if you're still having an issue:

Navigate to \programs (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\TOTALWAR Warhammer directory.

Next, double click on the Warhammer application within that folder. When I did this, I was given a couple error messages that did not pop up when trying to launch from the launcher. In this case, I was supposedly missing some DLLs for Direct-X.

Next, go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35&nowin10 and download the runtime executable. Run that. It'll go through all the distributables for direct x up to this point.

Once that finishes, give it another try through the launcher. This resolved it for me after trying all the other fixes listed so far.

Cheers, and hopefully this gets you all in game!
Post edited by ca_guy on

Comments

• CraigCACraigCA Creative Assembly CA's DungeonPosts: 3,141Moderators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff
    Thanks for the info @calcographer . Would be good to hear if this helps out anyone else as well. It's possible that the correct directx runtime packages aren't being installed alongside the game? I'll inform the team about this.

Thanks!
    Associate Designer on Total War

Formal disclaimer: any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of Creative Assembly or SEGA.
  • bmajor9799bmajor9799 Posts: 8Registered Users
    same i didn't get he directx packages so should i just wait for a fix?
  • CraigCACraigCA Creative Assembly CA's DungeonPosts: 3,141Moderators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff
    I'd recommend trying to install them manually from the link above. S'worth a try!
    Associate Designer on Total War

Formal disclaimer: any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of Creative Assembly or SEGA.
  • bmajor9799bmajor9799 Posts: 8Registered Users
    i started another thread stating my problem now
  • CalcographerCalcographer Posts: 3Registered Users
    CraigK CA said:

Thanks for the info @calcographer . Would be good to hear if this helps out anyone else as well. It's possible that the correct directx runtime packages aren't being installed alongside the game? I'll inform the team about this.

Thanks!

No problem! Hopefully it helps some others to get in.

I've yet to dig in to the game as I just reformatted last night and have to get everything back in order. Cheers though. Seems to be a hit!
  • Andy6001Andy6001 Posts: 2Registered Users
    I followed the link and it just said that I already have a more up to date version of Direct X. Am I missing something?
  • Andy6001Andy6001 Posts: 2Registered Users
    Ooooooh fixed it! See the following link and read to the bottom. Basicalloy you have to delete the D3DCOMPILER _43.dll in both System32 ansd SysWOW64 folders (this means nothing to me) and then reinstall Direct X. I won't try to explain it, just read this forum....

https://forums.marvelheroes.com/discussion/6661/d3dcompiler-43-dll-is-either-not-designed-to-run-on-windows-or-it-contains-an-error

Enjoy!
  • Dr_JaygoDr_Jaygo Posts: 6Registered Users
    This didn't help my problem. Thanks for trying though!
  • GorniakGorniak Posts: 40Registered Users
    Didnt help me either! thanks though! launcher still instantly crashes when i press play on the steam page :(

Still cant play the game!
  • Kevinroth666Kevinroth666 Posts: 5Registered Users
    Andy6001 said:

I followed the link and it just said that I already have a more up to date version of Direct X. Am I missing something?

Andy6001 said:

Ooooooh fixed it! See the following link and read to the bottom. Basicalloy you have to delete the D3DCOMPILER _43.dll in both System32 ansd SysWOW64 folders (this means nothing to me) and then reinstall Direct X. I won't try to explain it, just read this forum....

https://forums.marvelheroes.com/discussion/6661/d3dcompiler-43-dll-is-either-not-designed-to-run-on-windows-or-it-contains-an-error

Enjoy!

After 24+ hours of trying to get it to work, this did it! Thanks so much. I think a sticky is needed.
  • ShigawireShigawire Senior Member Norway, BrønnøysundPosts: 3,920Registered Users
    edited May 2016

After 24+ hours of trying to get it to work, this did it! Thanks so much. I think a sticky is needed.

Excellent! I think several stickies are needed. A lot of proactive users here have come up with many different solutions. It seems the launcher issue is a many-headed hydra, several different causes for different people.
  • WatsonJCGEWatsonJCGE Posts: 25Registered Users
    Gorniak said:

Didnt help me either! thanks though! launcher still instantly crashes when i press play on the steam page :(

Still cant play the game!

Same here i click play then it runs for a fews seconds then stops after pushing play
  • LeoNikolayevichLeoNikolayevich Posts: 5Registered Users
    Thanks for the suggestion, not working for me either. But today, there has been a progress - the exe file won't even start after clicking on Play in Launcher.
  • ShigawireShigawire Senior Member Norway, BrønnøysundPosts: 3,920Registered Users

Thanks for the suggestion, not working for me either. But today, there has been a progress - the exe file won't even start after clicking on Play in Launcher.

When you download the game, did you choose a different language than English? If so.. try again, but this time don't change the language. Once it has finished downloading, then change the language to your preference.
    Shigawire said:

When you download the game, did you choose a different language than English? If so.. try again, but this time don't change the language. Once it has finished downloading, then change the language to your preference.
    My Steam is set automatically to Czech and whenever I download a game that has Czech language available, Steam automatically downloads the game in Czech. Then I downloaded English and then Czech again as some German Player suggested that it helped him to at least run the game in offline mode. Of course, he used German not Czech. And to be honest, I am a bit reluctant to change the settings to English and re-download the game. But it is worth the try I guess.

Shigawire said:

My Steam is set automatically to Czech and whenever I download a game that has Czech language available, Steam automatically downloads the game in Czech. Then I downloaded English and then Czech again as some German Player suggested that it helped him to at least run the game in offline mode. Of course, he used German not Czech. And to be honest, I am a bit reluctant to change the settings to English and re-download the game. But it is worth the try I guess.
    Ok let us know how it goes.
    Downloading now, will take about 3 hours. I hope that I'll not fall asleep by then, lol. Also, I was looking into my dxdiag and seems like that only thing left to update is BIOS, however since my PC is stable I'm not really considering it at the moment. Will keep updating.
    Nope, nothing. Hopefully, there will be a patch soon.
  • cull501cull501 Junior Member Posts: 12Registered Users
    Same for me. I created a thread about it as well. Game tries to launch but crashes before the launcher even appears. Weirdly as well is that I cant find a Warhammer folder in Appdata like my other total war games.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file