Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

A few feedback suggestions

Sky_SweeperrSky_Sweeperr Senior MemberOklahomaPosts: 1,700Registered Users
This is just a compilation of some complaints/issues I have with the game. Overall it's a fun experience, but there need to be some changes done in updates and major changes in future titles to make this game a 10/10.

1. Fix how ranged units fire - I don't know what it is about this game, but I feel like the ranged AI is just awful. In previous titles, singular men of a unit could fire and WOULD fire if something was in range and line of sight, even if it was outside of the designated "fire" cone. They had some since of self-sufficiency and unless the enemy was 90 degrees to their side they would still fire at them. In this one however, the moment a unit steps out of the cone of fire, it's like they are invisible to the ranged unit, even though the men should still be able to see them and adjust.

That brings me to the second problem with ranged units - they are too rigid. They never had to adjust their entire unit so much before in the past to fire at a new target. However in this one, if you select a target outside the field of fire, the entire unit rotates about 30 degrees, with no regard of if it's going to put them into melee with the fight going on in front of them. Finally, they refuse to fire if even a single unit is tied up in melee. I've had several instances where my thunderers were all lined up with clear shots at the enemy, but they refused to fire because one of their members got stuck in the battleline.

in short, fix 1) targeting AI, 2) formation rigidity, and 3) melee indicators and firing systems (make the unit fire for the individual, not the whole unit).

2. Late game civic play and campaign play - in all 4 races in the game, I've noticed that you really only need 1 or 2 provinces and the rest really don't matter except to be sources of income. It makes the late game extremely boring as you really have no reason to go over your territory anymore besides making sure public order is positive. I think this is due to the annoying building limitations that have been implemented since Empire: Total War. the 3-5 building limit per city is ridiculous, and is completely unbelievable. For instance, Karaz-a-Karak should be able to have every building in it, seeing as it's the dwarfen capital.

As it stands right now, the moment you have 2 provinces and a port, you really don't need anything else because there are so few buildings to pick from. Medieval II total war easily had 3-4 times as many options for construction as this game does, that includes roads, farms, and other small structures like Gallows and Mines. However now, in this game, you have severely reduced the usefulness of cities and the amount of attention needed on them, such as keeping governors in provinces to be able to adjust taxes and be able to select building options. Please, bring back the construction system of Medieval II. Yes, it allowed you to create super cities that could do everything - but it took a long time to do that and a lot of money, and it was a fitting reward for putting all that time and money into it. In this game, it's kind of like conquer and forget, making the campaign map in general feel very meaningless.

so to sum up, bring back the building system of Medieval II and the management factors that included to help make managing an empire more interesting. give us more options and less limitations.

3. Things are too quick all around/Quest battles are too demanding - this one will be fairly short, but basically the timing mechanics of the game feel very rushed... Battles are over in 5 minutes, chaos comes by turn 100, which comes really quickly in this game (a lot quicker than any previous total war game), and expansion happens very rapidly a lot of the time due to confederations happening all over the place. I just feels like everything is too fast and there's not a whole lot to do each turn because everything management wise has been cut down so much.

However, contrasting to this, the quest battles are way too demanding on the player and way too difficult. You essentially have to create an army specifically for quest battles, because it's going to get wiped out afterwards even if you win, because you are having 3-4 stacks of units thrown at you. Also the steps to getting to the battles are kind of ridiculous, requiring you to send agents to the opposite corners of the map just to activate the next section. It doesn't feel interesting, it just feels tedious because all it is is a paragraph of flavor text. There are no cutscenes for these segments, nor any flare to make them more interesting beyond a text message.

sum up - 1) slow down campaign timers and mechanics. 2) ease up on quest battle demands, both on the campaign map and in the battles. It makes it to where it's a chore to do instead of being fun.

4 Make the AI more aggressive for the sake of fun - This is arguably the most important thing to me. Every campaign I've played, every faction, even the greenskins, have been extremely passive toward me. They almost never attack my armies, they just attack my un-defended cities. I've NEVER had a siege happen with me as the defender, as the AI just tries to kill me off with attrition, and will never attack a city that has an army garrisoned in it - meanwhile I HAVE to fight almost every fight from the aggressor position, and more often than not it's against a full-stack army city in a walled city with a full stack garrison. These are enjoyable for a time, but at some point they just become annoying, particularly because the AI never makes a consolidated effort to do the same to me. They are more content to send their armies around mountains to attack my weaker settlements than to have an interesting fight in a defended city. so, PLEASE CA, make the AI siege more and take higher risks, and not rely on attrition timers so much. I've waited for a mod to do this but none have come up yet.

That is all for now - if I think of more I will update this post.
A brave man marches into danger and ignores his fear. A courageous man marches into danger while embracing his fear.

CPU: Intel i7 4970k 4.0 Ghz
GPU: AMD r9 290x 4GB
RAM: 16GB DDR3

Veteran of the Total War franchise since Shogun: Total war. (I was 10)

Comments

• hagglesalothagglesalot Posts: 13Registered Users
    Yes, the quests are to demanding and late game. however, the battles are relatively easy due to there smaller size. Waiting 40 turns to build a gyro-copter or for a hero to travel across the entire map is irritating (especially if they get assassinated).

Yes, chaos come to soon, before I even spread north to ally or attack the other provinces, chaos already burnt them to a crisp.

Yes, more provinces aren't required, they end up costing more to maintain armies to defend them, however the special buildings in each province are quite handy.

Yes, confederation happens like a plague spreading, especially for the orks. Allies and vassals are much more fun and interesting.

No, the AI are aggressive enough, just play on harder difficulties and you will have more fun.
  • Sky_SweeperrSky_Sweeperr Senior Member OklahomaPosts: 1,700Registered Users
    edited June 2016

Yes, the quests are to demanding and late game. however, the battles are relatively easy due to there smaller size. Waiting 40 turns to build a gyro-copter or for a hero to travel across the entire map is irritating (especially if they get assassinated).

Yes, chaos come to soon, before I even spread north to ally or attack the other provinces, chaos already burnt them to a crisp.

Yes, more provinces aren't required, they end up costing more to maintain armies to defend them, however the special buildings in each province are quite handy.

Yes, confederation happens like a plague spreading, especially for the orks. Allies and vassals are much more fun and interesting.

No, the AI are aggressive enough, just play on harder difficulties and you will have more fun.

Harder difficulties just put more penalties on the player and give a bunch of buffs to the AI. I don't want the game harder, i want it more fun. And that means the ai taking more risky attacks allowing me to play on defense every once in a while. Luckily a mod fixed this for the most part.
    A brave man marches into danger and ignores his fear. A courageous man marches into danger while embracing his fear.

CPU: Intel i7 4970k 4.0 Ghz
    GPU: AMD r9 290x 4GB
    RAM: 16GB DDR3

Veteran of the Total War franchise since Shogun: Total war. (I was 10)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file